JVC and JLIP

Username: Jamesjgross

Post Number: 1
I have a JVC DMV 50 that I cannot get to work with Windows XP. There is no video capture. I have downloaded the JLIP upgrade that is supposed to make it work. Any other suggestions?

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 313
do you have a 1394 input on your computer? You can use this with the DVI output of your JVC, there is no need for the JLIP program if you have these connections. Windows moviemaker will work or Windows Media player 9 or some other video program with XP
cheers

jvcGR-DVF10U
Unregistered guest
Where would I find a cable that goes from a JLIP to a 1394? I have searched online for 3 hours and have found zero on this topic.
Also Do I need a special capture card if I have both of these connections?

Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 553
you won't. The JLIP is analog and the 1394 is digital. Your JVC should have a DV output, you could use a 1394 to DVI cable

jvcGR-DVF10U
Unregistered guest
Berny,
thanks for the quick reply. My new computer has a 1394. The JVC GR-DVF10U camcorder has a JLIP out. http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL006240&archive=true&page=2
JLIP (J-Terminal) (Joint Level Interface Protocol) This J terminal looks like a mini head-phone or mini mic jack. Not a 4 pin 1394.
Above website shows the camcorder, but unfortunately does not show the the jlip I am referring to.
Thanks again

Unregistered guest
Hi, I have a JVC gr-sxm330 analog S-VHS-C camcorder. Right under the on/off switch is a small panel cover that has to be pried open to get at a white connector attached to the circuit board inside. I was wondering if this was a JLIP????...J-Terminal??? connector. I have never seen this before and I am wondering. If it is, could anyone tell me what the cables for these look like and what is the arrangement for connecting to a PC. Also could anybody tell me if there is a way besides JLIP to attach this Cam to my PC to capture video to save to DVD, tape sucks. Pictures of the cables or links to websites would really help a lot. Thanks.

Unregistered guest
JLIP, 1394, WHATEVER, I DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THESE THINGS. I DO KNOW I WOULD LIKE TO CONNECT MY JVC GR-AXM225U CAMCORDER TO MY HP COMPUTER RUNNING WINDOWS XP. ANY ADVICE?

Unregistered guest
Hi.I have a older model JVC model#GR-AX841.Can i transfer my movies to my computor with this model?It has a JLIP connector port on it.

Ziv
Unregistered guest
I have a JVC camcorder. I want to capture video to my pC. I have 1394 cabcle ith 4 to 6. I do not have any input in PC for 1394. How can I connect it to PC (Only USB I have)?
Thanks

Debbie
Unregistered guest
I seem to be having the same problem as all of you. I have the JVC and I can only find a JLIP port which I am hoping will somehow allow me to connect to the IEEE-1394 port on my TabletPC so I can import the video. I also have an S-Video out if that's any help. It the MiniDVNTSC CyberCam JVC Digital Camcorder. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Debbie
Unregistered guest
OK - How about this direction? Does anyone know if there exists a player - a separate device - that you could use to play the MiniDVs on which would then be able to connect to the computer to to capture the video using firewire?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2580
Debbie, your JVC not only has the JLIP option, it also has a DV output. It is usually on the inside after you open the viewscreen of the camera. It looks like a tiny square hole and it has markings...DV OUTPUT. You will need a DV to IEEE1394 cable, available at most electronics or computer store. They go by different names, iLink, Firewire, IEEE1394.

If you are looking for a miniDV player, JVC also sells them. Not a very popular device and expensive.

Debbie
Unregistered guest
Hi Berny -
Thanks for your quick response. I'm afraid as hard as I look all I can find is the JLIP and S OUT. When I open the view screen there is only the place where the cassette goes. Up near the front I also found the Yellow, White and Red (are these RCA ports?) but no square hole. Under the battery is just the hole for using electricity. And in the front is the hole for the mic. I guess this one just doesn't have that. Or perhaps there is another piece that somes off that I can't find. I must say they do have an uncanny way of hiding things. Mine is the JVC Digital Model GR-DVF 10U. Any other ideas? No cable goes from JLIP to IEEE1394?
I just had a great class in Pinnicle software and am so anxious to start editing my movies.
Debbie

Gold Member

Post Number: 2608
I'm sorry Debbie, I didn't realize that the JVC you owned was the older model.

Unfortunately, this particular model does NOT have a DV output. The DV output was not standardized at the time.
You have to use the JLIP out and you will need a video and audio capture card on your computer. Now, if you have one of those media center computers, you probably already have one.

My apologies for that misunderstanding.

Debbie
Unregistered guest
I am considering buying a new video camera that would allow me to connect to my TabletPC via the firewire port to do video editing with Pinnacle software. I would also like it to be small and it would be good if the price were small as well. Any suggestions?

captindt
Unregistered guest
how do I find out if my computer has the capability to hook my jvc up to?I have a jvc gr-ax430u and it has the jlip but iam not sure were to find the info to see if my computer will handle it (running xp)

Unregistered guest
can I hook a camcorder up to the computer and capture the movie by USB, or do I need to use DV? (my computer doesn't have a 1394, or at least I don't think it does). Help please.

Username: Daver46

See that Debbie posted about her JVC camcorder and needing a JLIP cable to go from her camcorder to her pc. I am in the same boat. Where do I get the JLIP cable and the software? And, do I have to get it from JVC directly or is there a place I can buy the cable and software? Thanks

Karyn Harrelson
Unregistered guest
My JVC camera is an older model (GR-SXM915) and it has the JLIP out as well as the RCA jacks. I just got a new computer with the hopes of editing my video and burning it onto DVDs. I think I finally figured out how to do it. There is a video capture box from JVC that should work, but it is expensive. The folks at Dell were VERY helpful. They said I could use the Dazzle Video Digital Creator. It connects to the camera or a VCR with RCA cables and to the computer at a USB port. It won't be as fast as the 1394, but for the 8 hours of video I have, the guy at Dell said it should work just fine. I hope this helps someone!

Karyn Harrelson
Unregistered guest
Hey! I should have done a bit more research before I posted my comments. Every review I read for the Dazzle video digital creator is terrible!!! I am cancelling my order. However, my search yielded some promising results. There are devices made by Canopus, Datavideo and Miglia that have the RCA and svideo imputs that connect to your camera or VCR and then a 1394 connection to the computer! All of the reviews I read about these products are favorable. The only downside is . . . they are more expensive ($200-300). I wasn't planning on spending this much, but I would rather spend the money on a product that will produce a quality result.

Anonymous

I own a GR-DVR-31U which came with JLIP Video Capture and Video Producer which is compatible with Windows 98. Can I upgrade this to support XP? I simply want to transfer video to my PC for strorage and playback. any suggestions?

Anonymous

I own a GR-DVR-31U which came with JLIP Video Capture and Video Producer which is compatible with Windows 98. Can I upgrade this to support XP? I simply want to transfer video to my PC for strorage and playback. any suggestions?

Unregistered guest
I would like to download video's from a JVC GR-AXM270 camcorder to my computer inwhich I intend to install a IEEE 1394 (firewall) card.
My camcorder has a J (jlip) terminal and Video out, RF DC out and Audio Out connectors.
Will this work and what cable shoud I use????
Nico

Username: Taegi

my camcoder has both of JLIP and 1394 prot. But I have no cable for JLIP and software. I'm wondering about them. which the best stuff between JLIP and 1394 port to capture movie?

Unregistered guest
Hi Benny
I have the JVC GR-DVF10U AND PURCHASED THE ADVC-100 THAT CONNECTS THE FIRE WIRE TO THE COMPUTER. I'M COMPLETELY LOST WHAT THE JLIP DOES. IS IT AUDIO? OR DO I EVEN NEED IT. SHOULD I USE THE RED & WHITE LEADS FOR MY AUDIO?
THANKS, VAN W

Gold Member

Post Number: 2974
VAN W
Forget the JLIP if you already have the firewire you should be ready to capture. You don't need the red and white leads. Do yo have a video aditing and capture program?

BJP2006
Unregistered guest
Hey all, I also have a JVC camera with a JLIP terminal. If you don't have a firewire port on your camera your best bet is to find a video capture card that converts your video from analog to digital. They come in all price ranges and sizes. There's one for around $50 at pricegrabber.com here:

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=2237772/search=

It uses RCA input from your camcorder and outputs it to a USB 2.0 for your computer. Hope this helps.

*note* for video editing you're going to probably need a pentium 4 proccessor or better on your computer.

Justine
Unregistered guest
I have a JVC GR-20 and have upgraded my PC to XP. I bought the firewire 4pin to 6 pin as directed and connected them to pc and camcorder. There is nothing found in the area where you choose device in Windows Movie Maker so I can't use it. The leads are both connected. Why is this?

Justine
Unregistered guest
I have a JVC GR-20 and have upgraded my PC to XP. I bought the firewire 4pin to 6 pin as directed and connected them to pc and camcorder. There is nothing found in the area where you choose device in Windows Movie Maker so I can't use it. The leads are both connected. Why is this?

Unregistered guest
I have a JVC GR-D72U Mini DV Camcorder. I have hooked up to my computer thru firewire. Using Intervideo WinDVD Creator, I am able to control the camcorder. However, when I record, the timer runs but no video is being picked up. I am getting some sort of error message about the settings on my camera. Any help?

I am wondering if I get Pinnacle 9, if it will take care of my problem.

Unregistered guest
I have an old JVC GR-AX820. Not digital. There is a JLIP. I have the capture card IEEE 1394 on my computer. I need the cable to connect my J-Terminal to my IEEE 1394 port. Is this possible?

Unregistered guest
I have an older camcorder GR-SXM250U. I am completely clueless on anything but taking video of my kids. I was just wondering if there is any way to hook my camcorder to my computer to capture the video. I know nothing about JLIPs or any of that stuff!

Kal
Unregistered guest
So what does someone do if they have DV, USB, and S Video on there camera, but only USB on their computer if the USB doesn't transfer video? Is there a way to get a dv firewire hooked up with a computer that only has USB?

Unregistered guest
Ok Correct me if I am wrong but this is how I understand it. JLIP does NOT transfer video. it is simply command and control. the video is purely analog on those camcorders without DV or FIREWIRE ports.
the jlip allowed you to start stop play etc.. like we can with firewire. but the video itself was done via the rca or svideo and you needed to have this already on your pc either via a PCI card usb adapter or a PCMCIA adaptor for a laptop or tablet. so one connection allows the transfer of video and the other jlip allows you to command the camcorder from the pc.

does anyone know where I can get a jlip cable ? I have a nice GR-DV1U camcorder I can not get it to goto playback mode (right now I am using another camcorder for playback) I would like to do away with this and I am hoping I cam command it to playback mode via the jlip connection bypassing whatever is wrong with the unit.

FYI moderators thanks for allowing non member posting I would not have bother replying if I had to go through yet another registration process :-)

More info for you critters. transfering video to your computer. the easiest way to do this is with a television capture card. I suggest Hauppauge they are nice cards. most any of them will have svideo as well as audio mini jacks. so jack the svideo from your camcorder to the hauppauge card and use a $4 rca to mini plug adaptor from radio shack.

switch the hauppauge tv 2000 software to svid input and hit record (set your desired recording format) I would use low level mpeg2 formats so you can drag and drop it into a dvd burning program without pointless reconversion.

if you have a media center pc its even easier since they usually have rca's and the hauppauge media center cards have rca's on the back. dont bother with the ati wonder ve they suck though I never tried to import direct video only over the air.w

these solutions require you to open the computer and install a PCI and then software to go with them.

there are usb solutions they are less than ideal and most are limited to mpeg1 level resolution since they are usually usb 1.1 and can not handle the needed data rate for mpeg2.

Oddly your cheapest solution will likely be the one you will like the most (the above solution will cost $80 to $200) buy a set top dvd recorder. a vcr that uses dvd instead of tape. plug the camcorder into the recorder hit record. now you can drop that dvd right into your computers dvd drive and extract the video anyway you want. edit it crop it whatever drop it back onto a dvd with a nice set of menus etc..

walmart has a dvd recorder from emerson for $100 right now !! normal price under $150 ! and online dvd-r's are cheap ! around 50 cents a disc

Chris Taylor
http://www.nerys.com/

Unregistered guest
HI
I HAVE A JVC MINI PAL DIGITAL CAMCORDER JVC DVL 45A
. PLEASE TELL ME HOW I CAN WATCH MY PICTURES ON MY TV .I AM IN CANADA (ntsc).nOW THAT I HAVE A PENTIUM 3 CPU AND I HAVE WINDOWS XP I CANNOT WATCH THE PICTURES AS WHEN I TRY IT SAYS WHICH PORT COM 1 OR WHATEVER AND I AM STUCK .CAN I GET A DOWNLOAD OF THE UPDATED VERSION OF THE JLIP VODEO PRODUCER ON THE NET . IS THERE A CUSTOMER SERVICE PLACE TAHT I CAN CALL AND FIND OUT
THANKS A LOT = ZORO

Unregistered guest
HI
I HAVE A JVC MINI PAL DIGITAL CAMCORDER JVC DVL 45A
. PLEASE TELL ME HOW I CAN WATCH MY PICTURES ON MY TV .I AM IN CANADA (ntsc).nOW THAT I HAVE A PENTIUM 3 CPU AND I HAVE WINDOWS XP I CANNOT WATCH THE PICTURES AS WHEN I TRY IT SAYS WHICH PORT COM 1 OR WHATEVER AND I AM STUCK .CAN I GET A DOWNLOAD OF THE UPDATED VERSION OF THE JLIP ViDEO PRODUCER ON THE NET . IS THERE A CUSTOMER SERVICE PLACE TAHT I CAN CALL AND FIND OUT
THANKS A LOT = ZORO

Unregistered guest
Hello, I have an older JVC camera with out the firewire port, it has the JLIP crap and I want to know how to upload my skateboarding footage onto my computer so I can edit it using adobe premier and windows movie maker, I went to best buy and the guy tryed to cell me a PCI capture card . but that was for fire wire, then he tryed to sell me a VHS digital converter which was 75.00... Have any suggestions? Please do reply to my Email if you have any suggestions. Tekronskater1@yahoo.com

Unregistered guest
Ello,
Oki, here goes. I have a JVC GR-DVM1. Yes, its older, but I like it. Now, Ive found a GV-PT2 printer. Supposedly, this will allow me to hook it up to my computer, or my VCR/DVD player. I have 2 questions really.
1. Will the GV-PT2 printer work? I have read that GV-PT2U will work, so im unsure, I have not been able to find GV-PT2 on the jvc website.
2. If this thing does work, is the Jlip cable the only way to connect it to my pc? all i really want are the photo's mostly so i can post them online. Buty hey, if i can get a video up, I'll use that too. (OK make that 3 questions) WHere would I get a Jlip cable???(software?)

Unregistered guest
Ello,
Oki, here goes. I have a JVC GR-DVM1. Yes, its older, but I like it. Now, Ive found a GV-PT2 printer. Supposedly, this will allow me to hook it up to my computer, or my VCR/DVD player. I have 2 questions really.
1. Will the GV-PT2 printer work? I have read that GV-PT2U will work, so im unsure, I have not been able to find GV-PT2 on the jvc website.
2. If this thing does work, is the Jlip cable the only way to connect it to my pc? all i really want are the photo's mostly so i can post them online. Buty hey, if i can get a video up, I'll use that too. (OK make that 3 questions) WHere would I get a Jlip cable???(software?)
clawskitty@yahoo.com

Unregistered guest
All I want to know is where do I get a JLIP cable?

Thanks!

Unregistered guest
Help, I have a JVC GR-270us. I have Windows XP, have fireware cable and card, which appear to be working properly. I have tried capturing video with no luck on multiple softwares, (windows movie maker, Sony Vega Studio). When I turn the computer on it recognizes the camera, and I am able to control my camera from the computer, however no video appears on the computer nor does it capture. Any ideas.

dan766
Unregistered guest
fauck you all.
ur all slaves

Username: Sewardprs

I have a JVC GR-D295US and I would like to download and edit my camera video to my laptop. I could not plug the FireWire 1394 to my computer (plug does not match). I do have the USB that came with the camcorder. It plugs into my camera and laptop. How can I accomplish downloading the video and then editing it?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3913
Pamela you are probably using the wrong cable, the usb will not work. You have to use a cable that will accept the DV Out from your JVC to the IEEE 1394 (firewire) of your computer.

Unregistered guest
Everytime I try to DL JLIP Video Capture, JLIP Video Produce, or MultiMedia Navigator a message comes up when i try to install it it say "16 bit subsystem" on top then a file path "C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt." and it says the file is not suitablbe for MS-dos applications. how do i fix this?

Scott Anderson
Unregistered guest
I have a GR-AXM225 analog camcorder (VHS-C). I too have wondered about the JLIP jack on my unit. Here's what I've found:

http://www.jvc.com/support/support.jsp?pageID=1%26item%3D23#613
http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL006405&pathId=28
http://www.jvcservice.com/store/ProductDetail.asp?Part=GV-CB3U

JVC sells a "video capture box", model GV-CB3, which their support FAQ (first link) says comes with the coveted JLIP cable. The product page (second link) gives a MSRP of $300, but JVC's actual online accessories store (third link) lists it at $169.95. I'm not going to be rushing out to get one anytime soon, however, as this analog-to-digital converter can only capture a single video frame for the creation of a .bmp or .jpeg image. Not worth the price if you ask me.

Mystery solved.

I have an old Dazzle box that I use occasionally, and while the user inteface of the software is abysmal, it's OK as long as you are not trying to do any serious, multi-project video editing on it.

April
Unregistered guest
After hours and hours of searching this JLIP stuff, I have learned to hate it. Not only can I find NOTHING about the JLIP connector on MY kind of camera, but the whole concept is so confusing as far as analog and digital goes. When regarding the JLIP, the only thing I can find is pertaining to JVC products. However, I have an RCA camera with this JLIP. I have the audio/video out jacks on my camera, is there any way to bypass the JLIP all together and get the video onto the computer using these jacks instead??? And if not, WHERE do I find all the JLIP cables and cards to make this camera work. I cannot find where to purchase these products and everywhere I have asked in my local area, nobody has even heard of JLIP.

Unregistered guest
please help, I have a jvc gr-sxm47, and i want to edit on to dvd, do i get a jlip cable? or do i need a video capture card as well.thank you

SpeedyAMDGuy
Unregistered guest
I'm having a problem as well and I have a JVC GR-DVL805u. This camera DOES have a DV Out connection and my pc has firewire ports. I've connected the camera to the computer and powered on the camera but the computer doesn't seem to recongnize the camera. I've started Windows Movie Maker and the Camera does not show up as one of the capture devices. Any ideas? I called JVC Support and they told me to install JLIP software, but from reading this thread that doesn't sound right. Shouldn't Windows XP automatically detect the camera when I connect it?

RK_Nov2005
Unregistered guest
Many thanks to Berny and all who posted questions with regards to JVC camcorder.
I bought JVC GR-D72 last year from Best Buy. Overall it is good buy, when you do day light video. It has limitations in the night..
The still imaging is not upto mark.
Now the real stuff. I have 2 laptops, one has Win 2000 OS and the the other XP home. The video download via USB on Win 2000 OS works perfect. I used the image mixer software that came along with the Camcorder. When I tried same with XP...It never worked. The procedure given in the documentation that came along with the camera does not help at all.
After reading comments from this site...I got a IEEE 1394 card + cable( Paid $15 for the card + cable in India) and it worked in one go...I plugged the card on my laptop with XP (SP2),connected to DV output on the camcorder. Wow my PC recognized the card, and the camera. I was able to use movie maker...the I installed image mixer, and this worked too....
It was a great feeling, that I was able to use my camcorder on my PC after so long... Thanks everone..Have fun

Unregistered guest
I have a JVC GR-AMX210, i have a brand new vaio, but i dont have a jlip connnector, i have an IEEE 1394, but it doesnt work with my older camera, where can i get a jlip connector

Definition of JlIp
Unregistered guest
Jlip - Junk Limitations Importing Pictures
Jlip - Jerk-around Limitation Interface Protocal

Jlip-hater
Unregistered guest
I have the same problem with the jlip port. My video card has an s-video connector and so does the camcorder. The only problem is when I hook it up nothing happens. The s-video port on the video card is a "tv out" port. What the heck does that mean? Is it output only? How could I get this to work?

If this doesn't work I will buy one of these.
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=2237772/search=
Hopefully that will work.

Jlip researcher
Unregistered guest
I found the Jlip cable here for about $20:

http://www.partstore.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductSKU=5151629&s=froogle

And I have always understood it as a remote control interface, not a way to transfer images. Thought you used the jlip port to use software to control the camera; like record/stop/zoom things.

Anonymous

Hi Everyone!

I am having a very basic question about video capture. I am having an old model JVC Compact Camcorder GR-FXM270A ( http://www.jvc-asia.com/sg/products/camdetails.asp?id=65 ). I checked with JVC people regarding connecting this camera to computer. They told me that I need to have Pinnacle Studio Plus Capture card which is meant for both analog & digital camcorders. I opted for this card as i have one digital camera also and purchased this card.
Later i am not sure how to connect my camera to this card. My camcorder have JLIP slot but i dont have any cable.
I need to know what all i need to have this camera connected to PC.
I really need your expert comments on this. Please advice me.

Thanks in Advance.
Rahul ( rahul_sahay2001@yahoo.com )

Daniel Granja
Unregistered guest
Regarding analog camcorders with the JLIP connector, here is an explanation in plain language and then some advice.

EXPLANATION: Previous posts are correct; the JLIP connector is used for CONTROL of the camcorder. That's its main purpose. With the right software on a computer, it can control the movement of the tape on the camera or of the tape on a JLIP-equipped VCR. The intention of the connector on the camcorder is that you control the camcorder with a computer while simultaneously connecting the video outputs of the camcorder to another video recording device (usually a VCR). If the second video recording device ALSO has a JLIP connector, then this allows for very precise editing between the two devices (if you can find an older JVC model, that is, since it's only JVC that uses the JLIP).
LET'S BE CLEAR: The JLIP output is NOT used to transfer videos to your computer. The bottom line is, cameras with JLIP connectors were developed before video editing on computers became commonplace and it was an interesting idea. It allows you to control the playback from the camcorder and simultaneously control the recording of a JLIP-equipped VCR so that you can get more precise editing of your camcorder recordings rather than just playing back the whole tape start to finish. (Here are some references: http://www.jvc.com/support/support.jsp?pageID=1%26item%3D23#613, http://www.jvc.co.uk/files/instruction_manual/gv-cb3-jlip%20videocaptureboxengel sk.pdf, and http://www.jvc.com/support/support.jsp?pageID=1%26item%3D23#613).

ADVICE: If you're interested in the JLIP it's because you have a JLIP-equipped analog camcorder or VCR and you want to do more than simply output your recording start to finish to a TV or video recorder. In the modern day, I strongly advise that you not even consider the JLIP option. Ignore it. It is outdated and you need additional hardware to use it. The best way to do what you want to do is to get what is called a "digital video converter". I'm not going to recommend individual products, but I'll explain that what a digital video converter will do is take the analog video output from your camcorder or VCR and convert it to a "digital" format which can be input to your computer, usually via a USB or firewire cable. Usually these come with software which you load on your computer. You should have no problems doing this on Windows XP and you can edit your video with the Movie Maker program that comes with XP. Just play back your camcorder tape through the converter while simultaneously recording whatever parts you want onto your PC. Then edit the video on your PC.

Remember that after you've recorded the video on your PC, you now have a copy in "digital format" and you're playing in the same ballpark as anyone with a digital camcorder. At that point you can edit it, save it, etc. If you want to you can turn around and play it back from your computer out through the digital converter back to a VCR/TV/Etc. Or simply "save as" from your video editing software to MPG format and save it on a CD for playback on any computer. Even better, if you have a DVD burner you can use the software that came with it to create a DVD of your video.

Anonymous

Thank you Daniel for what appears to be a clear and accurate JLIP explanation. My question would be why spend the money on a digital video converter. Would it make more since to use the money to upgrade the analog out camcorder to a newer digital camcorder with fire wire out capabilities. You could then pop in the old Mini DV tapes and transfer to the PC without any loss of quality that might occur during the analog-ditigal conversion process. You then have a better camcorder to use on future tapes. The cost of digital camcorders keep decreasing and the quality increasing.

John Merlette
Unregistered guest
Problem solved!

I succeeded in transferring my mini-DV tapes from my ancient GR-DV1U camcorder to my PC and then to DVDs. If it works for my first generation digital JVC camcorder, it should work for others. Thank you Chris Taylor for your post in this forum, which provided the key to what I initially thought would be a hopeless endeavor.

My GR-DV1 has been sick for a long time (after recording less than 50 video tapes in the camera's short life span). The play/record power dial on the device seems to be about ready to fail. I'm going on a European vacation this summer and am buying a Panasonic camcorder to take with me this time. Everything I've ever owned (DVD player for example) that is JVC built has died way too soon and their service department has been no help.

All I wanted to do then was to transfer my collection of mini-DV tapes to DVDs before I give my dying $1,500 GR-DV1 system to the grandkids to destroy.

Forget about the JLIP. I have one such jack on my camcorder's docking station, which the GR-DV1 instruction manual states, "In the future, it (JLIP Jack) will be used to connect the camcorder to a device such as a personal computer."

Here's what I did.

Following Chris Taylor's suggestion I first reinstalled my old (1996 vintage) Hauppauge WinTV television viewing/video capture card back into my PC. The card incorporates an 848 video decoder (meaning it's an older version-model 60041). I then went to the Hauppauge website, clicked on support, followed several screens to pinpoint my version of WinTV and downloaded the latest driver and application program for this version card for WindowsXP. (The interface has improved tremendously over the years and this latest iteration looks and works great).

The old card has an S-video type plug in the back but it doesn't work except with the 5-pin video camera that came with the package so 'fugeddaboutit'.

The card does have a yellow video input plug labeled 'TV'. Aha! I hooked up to the yellow RCA jack on the JVC camcorder docking station and, voila, I see video on my monitor that I hadn't watched in years.

Back to the Hauppauge website. From Support and the proper driver download page, scroll down to "Utilities" and click on "FAQ". Then select the subject: "Capturing .AVI files with WinTV". This is a very well written procedure that explains how to connect sound, access the interface windows and takes you step by step, in clear language, how to select recording options, use the interface screen buttons, etc. Even a novice like me could figure it out. Well done, Hauppauge!

For the sound I used a combo wire with two RCA plugs to connect to the camcorder docking port on one end and a single stereo plug that inserts into the 'mic' port on my SoundBlaster 'Live' sound card on the PC. I played the mini-DV tape again and the cheers from the Salt Lake Winter Olympic Men's Downhill blasted out of my PC's speakers!

The real beauty of the task came with downloading the analog output from the camcorder to my PC's hard drive. Following the Hauppauge directions, selecting several menu items and click REC and the entire tape downloaded like most devices only dream about. And when I replayed the file off my PC, I got great video and sound. Perfect! After editing the movies, I copied the video files to DVDs.

I'm writing this while I download yet another video. I'm downloading raw footage with 0 dropped frames and without even closing Norton anti-virus. I have a Dell computer (800mhz PIII, 256mb RAM).

Thanks again to the Ecoustics forum for your help. I only hope this report helps others in the same predicament I was in to save that precious video before it's too late. The only cost for those without a Hauppauge WinTV video capture card is to go out and buy one. Besides, it's cool to watch TV in a corner of your PC monitor anyway when you're done downloading all your video files.

P.S. I have no association with the Hauppauge company, in fact I used to hate their old software and poorly written instructions.

Unregistered guest
I have a HP Media Center PC m7360n, supposedly the best one you can get right now. I also have a JVC GR-SXM527 VHS-C camcorder. I cannot figure out how to transfer anaglog to my computer. I have sonic, movie maker, and muvee autoproducer installed on my pc. JVC said I need JLIP, but can't find JLIP cable anywhere. Can anyone help me?

Username: Shuggiebhoy

i have a jvc grsx22 compact vhs camcorder and i want to connect to my pc i know i need something to do with jlip but not what equipment or where to get this equipment from and how much it will cost any information would be helpfull thanx

JVC GR-DVF7
Unregistered guest
I have just purchased a JVC Gr-DVF7 camcorder. I am wondering whether the JLIP connector is the only way to connect it to my pc for editing? If it is, what do I need and is it alot of hassle? Any help be greatly appreciated.

Username: Tiasha

Dhaka, Dhaka Bangladesh

I have a JVC GR-DVM55 camera with a DV out port. I also have a DV connector whose one end goes into the usb port and the other into the DV port. When I connect it to my PC, Windows XP detects a hardware but it says the device has malfunctioned and that it can't recognize the USB device. What can I do? I turned on the camera and everything. Is there more than one type of DV connector? Is it possible I bought the wrong connecter, even though it fits in the port? The connector has 1394 written over it and the camera says it is IEEE 1394 compatible. The four tiny pins in the connector seem to be placed in the opposite side as the pins in the camera port which makes me think they might not connect. Is that supposed to be like that?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us