Digital Cable vs. Satellite

Username: Souper

Post Number: 1
What gives you a better picture digital cable or the dish? Is the HDTV the same through both.

Username: Avman

Hey Chris Ive Had Both Cable and Sat, HD looks about the same anyway you go. Just keep in mind Cable In some areas is cheaper to Recieve HD through and they brodcast local channels in HD some areas.

Username: Sherrilll

Post Number: 5
I have not been too happy with HDTV through Insight Communications cable. I think I was one of the first people in my area to order HDTV through them. When I first got it nothing worked. I have to give them credit their technicians worked really hard and rewired almost everything in my house and a lot of the cable to the curb and then lots of fine tuning to get it working. But even now I have few HDTV channels and I pay a lot $$$$. BUT I do have my local channels in HDTV something satellite cannot offer. After finally getting the HDTV working pretty good the cable company made a change to their system and SHUT OFF THE DVI interface on the cable box so now I have to view through component outputs. That's the last straw. I am going to look into satellite now.

Username: Imnintj

Any idea when and if local channels will be available in HD through satellite?

Lion
Unregistered guest
What is better roger HD or starchoice HD, is there more lines of resoluton on satilite

Anonymous

COMCAST a bargain

if you are lucky enough to have it. Great hi def 10 to 15 good channels in hi def and that great Motorola DVR box

Username: Tadave

Post Number: 2
I have Direct TV and a OTA and I'm very happy! I'm 30 miles from town, and with a Winegard Square shooter antenna I pick up all the channels very well OTA. (93 to 100%)

Now if DTV would just add more HD programming.

Bronze Member
Username: Lampright

Syracuse, Utah USA

Post Number: 19
COMCAST is by far the best choice for HD at this point in time! Absolutly no contest! Let me explain why.

I just cancelled DirecTV and had Comcast installed with their Motorola HD DVR. There was no way I was going to spend $1000 on the HD Tivo for DirecTV. DirecTV offered to give me $200 to stay with them....anyone wanting to stay with DirecTV could easily cash in on that by calling up to cancel your service and then accepting their offer.

Comcast made me a better deal. $14.95/month for their HD DVR + HD channels (including local). That's right, no expensive hardware to purchase....DirecTV...you better wise up to this! It would take me 5 years at this rate to pay for a $1000 HD Tivo, and we all know in 2-3 years something better will be available. Plus Comcast gave me a $20/month discount ($240 beats $200 from DirecTV) for an entire year by turning in my DirecTV receiver. Plus I get a $10/month discount on my comcast broadband internet. So, all-in-all, I'm paying less every month with Comcast, I have an HD DVR that's almost as good as Tivo, and I get all my local channels, ESPN, HBO, INHD, INHD2, and DiscoveryHD all in high def. I didn't have HBO with DirecTV. Plus, I get all of the awesome ON DEMAND stuff that comcast offers which is a very impressive service with tons of content. There is even HD ON DEMAND shows. One of my favorite features of ON DEMAND is the movie trailers...they have trailers for all of the new movies available at the press of a button...very cool. There is so much more too...

The satellite companies do have a better quality SD picture over cable, but I didn't buy a $3000 TV to watch SD. I bought it for HD and DVD's. The DirecTV Tivo is still the best DVR on the market, but the Comcast DVR is very similar to Tivo. I'm slightly biased towards Tivo since I had my DirecTV Tivo hacked with 100+ hours of storage, a 512MB cache, and a network connection which I could use to burn shows to DVD. I'm going to miss that.

AND, DirecTV is switching to MPEG4 compression and I'm sure Dish will do the same. How does that affect you? It means your $1000 HD Tivo is worthless when they make the transition to MPEG4. Hopefully they'll offer a free upgrade, but you never know. I'm sure they'll atleast lock you into a 1-2 year contract for a "free" upgrade. I don't have a contract with comcast.

For the next year I'll be a loyal comcast customer, maybe in 1 year DirecTV or Dish will be competitive again and I'll consider switching. Until then, I'll be enjoying HD through Comcast at a great price!

Bronze Member

Syracuse, Utah USA

Post Number: 20
Oh, I forgot to mention a HUGE negative with the HD DirecTV Tivo. It cannot record your local HD shows that are received OTA. My wife would kill me if she missed 24, Lost, or Desperate Housewives....and I'd be pissed as well. All those shows are in HD and I record every week with Comcast DVR....not so with DirecTV HD Tivo. The list of shows in HD is actually getting fairly long. I'd say atleast 80% of the TV I now watch is in HD.

And if you didn't get this by now, a DVR/Tivo is a must have for me. Once you have it you cannot watch TV without it. It completely transforms the way you watch TV. If you don't have one, GET ONE!!

Anonymous

COMCAST HI DEF with the Motorola DCT6400 produces a great hi def picture and is a major bargain. I've had it for several months, and all I had to do was call the local Comcast office and pick up the box to hookup.

Not sure how many even know how good Comcast is now with these tuner/DVR boxes

I simply had to ask for the special 2 tuner box, and they gave it to me, no extra charge

Username: Robjamell

Post Number: 3
Does the Motorola allow you to record two shows at once?

Bronze Member

Syracuse, Utah USA

Post Number: 73
"Does the Motorola allow you to record two shows at once?"

Yes! It has two tuners. So you can record two shows at once, while watching a 3rd show that was previously recorded.

Unregistered guest
I've had Dish Network for 6 years. I have a HD big screen TV (Pioneer Elite) but never got HD, b/c I couldn't afford to buy a new receiver! I have their 501 PVR (single tuner) receiver on the main TV.

Comcast has a great deal if you trade in your dish. 69.99 a month for their Premium Package (ALL movie channels, HD programming, and the DVR service!!!) Sounded good to me. Plus the DVR can can record 2 shows at once, etc... (and you don't have to buy the receiver!)

However, Dish now offered me their 811 hi def reciever (no DVR) for free to stay & said I could hook that up along with my standard DVR on the same TV (thereby making it like a dual tuner, and able to watch (not record) HD programming...)

DISH TOLD ME THAT THE CABLE HDTV PICTURE ISN'T EVEN AS GOOD AS DISH'S STANDARD PICTURE B/C IT GOES THROUGH A CABLE AND I SHOULD THINK ABOUT THAT... IS THIS TRUE??? IS THE HI DEF PICTURE BETTER USING DISH THAN WITH COMCAST? PLEASE HELP! MAYBE I SHOULD TAKE THEIR DEAL OF THE FREE HD RECEIVER...

After the 1st year with Comcast, the prices are similar with both... a little cheaper with cable I think...

Username: Gadgetgirl

Jacksonville, FL

I live in Jacksonville Fl. and I'm shopping the pricing and content for Direct vs Comcast. The pricing packages look about the same. But this is what I've found out so far.
* Comcast's dvr records and plays back in High Definition and in Jacksonville it is only $10 more a month added on top of the digital package. If I sign up in Best Buy or Circuit City, I can get $100 in cable cash which I think I put in with my bill. I can cancel anytime. For the same price, will I get more HD channels with Direct tv and are they worth it?

Bronze Member

Syracuse, Utah USA

Post Number: 79
ValVal1029

Your Dish rep was blowing smoke up your you know what. What a lie!

I switched from Directv to Comcast for the HD DVR. My best friend has Dish and the 811 receiver (no dvr for hd). I've watched HD and of course SD on all three setups. Comcast HDTV is night and day better than anything in SD by any provider. If the HD is better on Dish, I cannot tell. Maybe if I had two TV's side by side both playing the same thing in HD one comcast, one dish or directv...maybe then you might see a difference IF there is one. Wish Dish you won't be getting your local channels in HD unless you put up an antenna....and hope that you're in an area capable of receiving them OTA. Dish SD looks a little better than cable SD, but I don't watch much SD, so who cares. With all my local channels in HD, about 90% of my viewing is HD...and recorded on the HD DVR. Plus, not only are the shows in HD, but they're almost always Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound. Try watching 24 or Lost in HD....it's awesome!

One crappy thing about the HD DVR is that it compresses the analog channels into digital format which degrades them even further and really makes them look like crap. I split the cable and ran it directly to the TV so I could watch the analog channels through the TV tuner....they look pretty good that way.

I've had Comcast with the HD DVR for 2 months now and I LOVE IT! I'm very happy with my switch. They gave me a similar discount for giving up Directv....$20/month discount for a year on the silver package. The comcast HD DVR is better than the Dish DVR, but not as good as Tivo. Because the HD Tivo is $999, it wasn't even a consideration for me. It cannot compete against $10/month to lease the comcast HD DVR.

Want my opinion on what to do. Switch to Comcast for a year. In one year when Dish and DirecTV have upgraded their hardware and caught up to Comcast, consider switching back. That's what I'm doing. If one year from now I can get an HD Tivo for a reasonable price and DirecTV has transitioned to MPEG4 compression, I may swtich back. But, for now, I LOVE COMCAST HD AND HD DVR!!

Jacksonville, FL

Thanks Brian sooo much. $999 for the HD Tivo box! OUCH! I have basic cable now and I just want to get the most for my new HD tv set. I didn't know with dish dvr I had to put up a Antenna for local HD programming abc,cbs,nbc fox. That is what I'm going to want to watch and record! And if I can't play it back in HD, then a regular dvr is useless. The store employee at Best Buy said that Direct TV had all tons of HD programing channels coming. Like what? My understanding is that only what is recorded WITH HD Cameras can be viewed in HD. Well I just looked on their website and saw something HDNet Movies. I don't see the value in old movies shown in their original format. I think I can get all that from Comcast's ondemand. I can spend $999 in so many other ways.

Comcast says they will be all digital in Jacksonville this year! For now in my bedroom.....I'd like a better picture on analog channels. so...I'm confused... You said " I split the cable and ran it directly to the TV so I could watch the analog channels through the TV tuner....they look pretty good that way." Can I assume this: Cable from wall to splitter, then one line to box and one to tv set. Then do you only turn the box on when you want digital or HD Channels?

ValVal1029
Unregistered guest
Thanks Lampright! That was a lot of help! One questions, I know Comcast has the locals in HDTV (something I just happily realized today...)--- is ALL the programming on those networks in HDTV or just selected shows?

In regard to, "One crappy thing about the HD DVR is that it compresses the analog channels into digital format which degrades them even further and really makes them look like crap. I split the cable and ran it directly to the TV so I could watch the analog channels through the TV tuner....they look pretty good that way."

Do you mean that the HDTV RECEIVER makes the analog channels look crappy... all the time?... or just when you record them and watch with the DVR???

Sounds like I WILL try out comcast for the year.. : )

Bronze Member

Syracuse, Utah USA

Post Number: 80
The analog channels (under 100) always look crappy through the HD DVR weather it's recorded or not. Either way it's compressing them into a digital format and degrading them.
You understood me correctly about how to split it. One into the TV and the other into the HD DVR. I never turn off my DVR, it's always on. There is a stupid "bug" with it if you shut it off. If it needs to record, it turns itself on and for some odd reason it mutes itself. Normall that isn't a problem, but the cable installer programs your remote to control your TV and the mute button on the remote is for the TV, not the DVR. So, the only way to un-mute it is to reprogram the remote, or turn the DVR off which cancels your recording, and then turn it back on. It's very annoying! So, I never turn it off.

"is ALL the programming on those networks in HDTV or just selected shows?"

Nope, only some shows are in HD...most of the primetime shows. BUT, even the SD shows that are on the HD channel for the local channels looks much better than watching them on the analog channel. That tells me the source they're getting from the broadcasters is much higher quality than what the cable company broadcasts on the SD channels, so on the HD channel it's not compressed as much and looks a lot better. It would be nice if all of the SD channels looked so good.

This is a great place to see which TV shows are in HD.
http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5119938-1.html?tag=picks

DirecTV is working on transitioning it's HD channels to MPEG4 compression to save bandwidth. This will allow them to add more HD channels easier. The only bad thing is your current HD receiver/Tivo is worthless after the transition...big time bummer if you paid $1000 for the HD Tivo. I imagine they'll have an upgrade program, but I think they'll force you into a 1 or 2 year contract for the upgrade. This is another reason I would not choose DirecTV at the moment. After the transition to MPEG4, it'll be a great time to switch back to them...assuming they have a reasonable price on their next gen HD Tivo. Comcast is also planning on adding more HD channels....how many more...I have no idea. I can't wait for SciFi and ESPN2 to be in HD. If you're a Stargate fan, I just found out today that it's broadcast on one of the local channels in HD....wish they would do that with BattleStar Galactica.

Another thing worth mentioning is not all HD looks the same. ESPN HD for example doesn't look much better than SD and it seems like it's never widescreen...it has bars on the sides. Plus, they never have anything worth watching IMO. I was watching Supercross racing today on ESPN2 (SD) and really dreading it because of the poor picture quality. I switched over to ESPN HD to see if it might be on in HD....to my disapointment...it was bowling. Bowling in HD...what is ESPN thinking? On the other hand, INHD and Discovery HD ALWAYS looks so lifelike it makes me want to jump right into the TV. Most of the primetime local HD shows (Desperate Housewives, 24, Lost, CSI, American Idol, etc...) usually look really really good as well. Plus, it's soo nice to watch them with 5.1 surround sound.

If you're nervous about switching to Comcast I recommend that you order it, but keep your Dish/DirecTV. Use them side-by-side until you've made your decision. Although, I would be very very surprised if someone were to NOT choose Comcast. One really great thing about Comcast is there is ZERO COMMITMENT. If you try it and aren't satisfied, just cancel it.

Jacksonville, FL

Post Number: 4
ValVal1029
Here in Jacksonville there is a $100 rebate from Best buy or circuit city when you sign up for Comcast in the store. You don't have to buy a tv set. It's a white folder with a coupon in it for something called Comcast cash. The guy said I had to sign up in the store BEFORE I called comcast to order the digital service. I'm not sure about Sound Advice. Hey - unless your rich, $100 is a nice chunk. They also will try and sell you Comcast Broadband for 1/2 price for 6 mths and give you $50 to do it. I already have it, but if you don't it's the best deal out there. No contract is nice. I can't live without my comcast internet, but my new HD service (and new sony) may distract me.

This all started with the Superbowl coming to Jacksonville. Now everybody has to have HD! Thanks again Brian for your explanation of Comcast and about direct tvs going to mpeg4. It's kind of a no-brainer going with Comcast, and now I know why.

ValVal1029
Unregistered guest
OK! Well, Comcast wants my actual dish and card for the promotion so I can't really keep both (Dish & Cable)... My only concern now is the analog channels being degraded... I'm wondering how much of that I actually watch... Am I hearing you right that you said that even the analogs that look crappy with HD look better than the SD??? Can't be that bad then, right???

Obviously with DISH (no HD) I think the SD looks great on my 53" and I'm worried I'll think, "What the heck did I switch to?" I mainly watch prime time and during the day (when I am home--- I'm a teacher) I watch ABC which is in HD, right? I doubt the Soaps I watch are in HD, so would I be better to watch them using channel 7 or the HD channel for ABC???

Now, the other 3 TVs in my house they said would NOT have a digital box and just be basic cable--- still more than 70 channels with HBO (channel 14 only) and no monthly charge... I wonder how this picture is... Probably more than fine on a smaller size TV... My question is that if that "basic" signal went to the main (BIG) TV without a box--- How would that compare to channel 7 or ABC High Definition with the box? That's 3 different ways, no???

1- with the Digital Box using channel 7
2- with the Digital Box using 231 (ABC HD)
3- NO digital box; basic cable

Is that what you're doing when you split your cable??? How do they differ? Will the tech do that for me if I ask? (If that IS what you mean...)

With regard to ESPN (not that I watch it) doesn't ALL HDTV have to be in widescreen??? I thought that was the whole point of it. Is HDTV always in Dolby Digital 5.1?

OK, I feel like I've taken so much of your time, but I can't tell you how helpful it is! I find that forums like these are the only way to get the "real story" most of the time! Thanks!!!

Jacksonville, FL

I agree with Brian and that you made the right decision. You had to turn in your dish so you could get a discounted price. Not a bad choice.
The HD set I bought is NOT widescreen so some of my viewing will have a black area across the top and bottom. It fits in my wall opening and the price was right. It's the resolution that counts.
The majority of the shows you will want to watch come in HD so you will use the higher HD channel to view them. Get the DVR, it shouldn't be much more. My sister has it, and it is awesome. She also told me about all the free stuff in ondemand.

The comcast office here told me to talk to the tech when he gets here. They can't be repsonsible for hooking up my dvd player and speakers, etc. I can understand that. They also told me that some DVR boxes may need a firmware upgrade. Re-read Brian's reply further up this thread. He covered all your questions.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Gadget Girl,

I hope you know that if the TV you purchased does not have a widescreen display it is not capable of displaying a High Defintion signal. All HD displays are widescreen. What model # TV did you buy?

xvxvxvx

Username: Tadave

Post Number: 7
That is not quite true, there are 4.3 TV's that are HD ready. You will however have black bars at the top and bottom.

ValVal1029
Unregistered guest
Yes, I do have a widescreen TV. Pioneer Elite 53" It's the 530-HD. It's a gorgeous TV that I've had for about 2 years but I never had a HD receiver... They probably don't make it anymore b/c it's not a plasma. It's rear projection, but great picture...

Jacksonville, FL

Post Number: 6
There are a few of these 4.3 HTDV monitors out there. Its the biggest I could get to fit in space in opening. It's not a widescreen but the price was right (for now). Here is one similar at Circuit City. I got a better price then this online but I'm going to sign up for the comcast cable cash with Best Buy. Circuit City was so biased against Comcast, that I decided to research the difference and go with comcast anyway.
I have .50" left in the opening. This one is a gem.
Sony 36" HDTV Monitor (KV-36HS420)
- 36" flat-screen
- HDTV monitor
- TruSurround audio
- 3D digital comb filter

Bronze Member

Syracuse, Utah USA

Post Number: 81
ValVal,

I kept DirecTV for an entire month after getting comcast. They told me the technition would take my dish and receiver...never said anything about the card. He ended up taking only one of my cheapo receivers and never asked for the card. When I asked if he wanted the dish, he said no. I actually had an extra dish, my "good" dish is still attached to my house. I also kept my DirecTV Tivo so I could sell it on ebay. If you have multiple directv receivers, just give him the cheapest one you have. You could probably get an old cheapo off ebay to give to him when he comes if you don't have one you want to part with....same with the dish. There are plenty of old dish's out there people aren't using. I'm sure you can figure out a way to do it and keep your DirecTV connected for a while if that's what you want.

You will also get a $10/month discount on your comcast broadband when you subscribe to comcast TV....another great bonus!

The analog channels are the channels below 100...atleast I think it's still that way. I rarily watch any of those channels. All of the local channels that are available in HD, I ALWAYS watch on the HD channel even if the particular show is not in HD. It looks much better on that channel. If you want to watch an analog channel realtime, not recorded, then watch it through the TV, not the DVR. All of the SD digital channels (above 100) look the same weather you watch them on the DVR or the TV. It's only below 100 that look bad through the DVR.

SD on my 27" Sony Wega looks really good, I think just as good as DirecTV looked. I have that TV in the bedroom without a cable box...like you're talking about doing. Oh, and the tech will be more than happy to split the cable for you to run to the TV and DVR.

btw...their are 4:3 tv's out there that are HD. My dad has a top of the line Sony Wega that is 4:3 and HD. He has Dish with the 811 HD receiver. I think he might regret buying that once he sees my setup!

If you do the $100 Best Buy deal, you probably won't get the Dish trade-in deal, which is worth $240.

Dvdmike
Unregistered guest
I just got Comcast installed yesterday because of their Sat Dish "Winback" program (see below). The installer said "do you want me to take your DirecTV receivers?". I said, "do you have to?", and he said "Nah" and left them.

I was really disappointed with the SD picture quality right out of the chute compared to DirecTV. But after turning the Sharpness on my TV waaaaay down, it looks almost as good as DirecTV. I'm going to try Digital Video Essentials on it today to check my video settings (my one year old likes to push the buttons).

Got the High Speed Internet as part of the deal, too, and it's smoking!!! It replaced Sprint Broadband. Comcast's Digital Cable + HD + DVR + Digital Silver + HBO + HBO/On Demand + High Speed Internet for $59.99/mo for 1 year and free installation is an incredible deal for current dish subscribers!!!

Jacksonville, FL

What city do you live in? In jacksonville, the dish trade is $39.00 mth for a year with what you got. Did you sign up for the internet seperate at Best Buy or circuit c? I'm just upgrading but I have a friend who wants to ditch their dish.

Dvdmike
Unregistered guest
I live in Denver. I got the deal by calling Comcast directly at 1-888-COMCAST, offer "DSH". Sounds like the same deal, and you can upgrade to include high speed internet for $59.00/mo for a year. Whether or not they take your sat equipment probably depends on the management of your local Comcast payment/service center.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 289
There are definitely some good benefits to using comcast cable over satellite. I wont deny that. I've been a comcast customer for years, but canceled and went to Direct TV and never looked back. I totally agree with what Brian says 100%. Before the days of HD programming, standard direct TV easily beat standard digital cable service hands down. Service, reliability, picture, I could go on and on.

At this very point in time, I agree that Comcast has the upper hand because of the HDTivo rental, plus all local channel HD programming is available........thats the biggie!! You wouldnt believe how many local programming shows are now broadcast in HD. Not to mention the many sporting events, concerts...etc. etc...

Anyway, I've been a comcast customer for years(or one of it's many predecessors). I still use comcast for my computer, but will never let them near my TV. I've had too many problems through the years with cable customer service and reliability and they pretty much lost me forever.

Luckily, Im able to access all of my local channels HD programming through a combination of DirectTV programming, or over the air, so for me, it's a wash programming wise. Im missing out on the cheap HDtivo rental, but I guess I'll have to do without:-(

By the end of this year, it will once again be a tie because most local channel markets will be covered with the launch of the new satellite........still no Tivo though.

Bronze Member

Syracuse, Utah USA

Post Number: 82
Paul, hopefully your wait won't be too long. Directv should have 2 of the 4 new satellites on line at the end of Q2 05...a couple months away. These are for HD content and will use MPEG4 which uses much less bandwidth than the current MPEG2 compression. That means Directv should be able to add HD channels as fast as they become available. DirecTV should be looking pretty good in a year. I would expect to see a brand new (non-Tivo) HD DVR released by Directv sometime this year after the new satellites come online. They cannot release new HD DVR's until the MPEG4 streams are available. I sure feel sorry for the people who paid $1000 for the HD Tivo which cannot decode MPEG4.

Silver Member

Post Number: 291
Brian,

I dont really care much about the satellites for myself personally because I get local channels over the air. I was just thinking on behalf of the poor people living out in the country who live too far away to get the air signal.

As for the Tivo, I wont be getting one anytime soon. I agree that having one would be pretty fun, but not for their current price.

By the time they drop to a reasonable cost, then I'll get one and Im sure they'll have their decoding issues worked out long before that time comes.

Can the DVRs decode the air signal if the antennae is running through your satbox?? I was assuming you could but dont really know. My dad has one and seems to like it and hasnt said anything, so I figured it was working with his channels over the air since they watch some regular TV shows.

Jacksonville, FL

Post Number: 9
I should be hooking up my new HD set and Comcast box HD DVR tonight. I was playing around with the HD dvr at Circuit City and I can't wait to have it. I can't help but get into decussions with others at work. I've heard all the comments about the new satellites going up, but no-one was able to tell me how much they will charge, and what programming I'll be able to see. It has to be pretty expensive to launch them so the cost has to be passed down. The retailers push direct TV. Anyway what I care more about what is happening now. Brian can you point me to a link stating that the direct's tv current HD dvr will not be able to work after the satellites go up? How can the retailer's still be selling those $999 units? Couldn't they have a firmware upgrade? After all Comcast isn't everywhere and I'm sure someone is using dial-up to read this. :-)

Bronze Member

Syracuse, Utah USA

Post Number: 86
I haven't read an article that specifically states the current HD Tivo will not work with MPEG4. However, I know for a fact it will not because of the way these units are produced. The decoding is always done with a dedicated hardware chip. This chip only knows mpeg2 and cannot be upgraded via firmware for mpeg4. I have read articles that ask the question: what will directv do for an upgrade path for people with the old mpeg2 receivers. My guess is they'll give you a new HD DVR in exchange for you old HD Tivo and a 1 or 2 year contract.
When I cancelled DirecTV and they were trying like mad to keep me, I asked them about the price of the HD Tivo. They said they had zero control of it's price and they in fact did not even sell them, you must buy them through a 3rd party. I told them if they can sell me one for less than $400 I'll remain a customer. It was impossible for them to do that.
If you google: "directv mpeg4" you can find a ton of information on the topic.

ValVal1029
Unregistered guest
Comcast came today, but ended up giving me the wrong receiver...no DVR- so they're coming back tomorrow!
However, I can't get 5.1 to come in. I'm not sure why. The channel says 5.1 but it isn't coming through. It's connected with an optical cable...
Also, confused about bars on TV. HDTV doesn't have any but SD does. My TV offers various stretch modes to fill the screen (which is what I always used on my Dish Satellite w/out HD)
MY question is,--- Do you all switch the TV mode everytime you change to a different program or should somehting be automatic??? Aren't the bars on the side bad for the TV. Also, my TV doesn't have black bars, but gray. Supposed to be less damaging or soemhting. However, with Comcast I'm seeing they are sometimes black...

The Comcast guy set it up so I can use Picture in Picture, but I have no idea how. I guess I should check if I can get programming with the receiver OFF!- That should work, right???

It's hard b/c the cable/satellite guys love to run out the door so fast (I KNOW they can't hang around to optimize everyone's system!) but it takes forever to make sure everything is working okay. I personally hate switching companies like this just b/c I feel so "lost" right now! lol Thanks!

ValVal1029
Unregistered guest
BY THE WAY, THEY DIDN'T TAKE MY DISH OR CARD LIKE THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO!

I'M PAYING 59.99 A MONTH FOR THE YEAR FOR PLATINUM SERVICE, HDTV, DVR...

Bronze Member

Syracuse, Utah USA

Post Number: 87
When you get the DVR, there is a setup menu to configure what screen format it outputs to the TV for each type of signal. The cableguy will probably configure this, but it's good to know how to do it incase you want to change it. To get to the setup menu, turn the DVR off, and then hit the "menu" button on the remote. From there you can set it to either 720p or 1080i for HD. If you have an LCD or DLP proj set it to 720p. If you have CRT proj set it to 1080i. Now, there is a 2nd setting for how to output non-hd called "4:3 Override". Choices are (Off,480i,480p,and stretch). Download the manual here for an explanation:
http://broadband.motorola.com/dvr/dct6412.asp
I use 480p and my TV is setup to display 480i and 480p with black bars on the sides(automatically)...the way I prefer it. I can't stand to watch a stretched picture, I think it looks horrible. But, if you have CRT or Plasma, you might want to stretch to prevent screen burn in. DLP is immune to burn in, and I think LCD is as well.

There might be somewhere in your setup menu to output dolby digital...maybe it's turned off. Or, maybe you don't have the optical cable selected on your receiver and it's getting the audio from RCA cables??

Good luck, enjoy the HD!

ValVal1029
Unregistered guest
Thanks! I'll check with the technician today about the 5.1 and screen formatting. My TV has one stretched mode (of many) that isn't too bad and I'm used to. I do have a rear projection (CRT?) so am worried about burn-in... I'll mention it today.

With receiver off, I'm not getting any picture/sound, however the cable is split. One into TV and one into Receiver... I tried changing through all the inputs- 1 through 6, but nothing... I'll check today... Thanks again!

V.

ValVal1029
Unregistered guest
OK, I figured out how to watch TV with the receiver off. I had to switch the TV remote to Antenna B...

ValVal1029
Unregistered guest
Got the DVR! Everything is all set... Only thing is how to set the screen formatting. I have a CRT.
I set the output to 1080 and the 4:3 override to stretch...
Looks bad. (The stretch mode on my TV is better, but can't be used b/c it is stuck on full when using the component video inputs...)

with 1080/off I get the black bars and am worried about burn in.

with 1080/480 p there aren't black bars but pic is still stretched... Not sure if it's the same as the stretch mode.

Do U know anything about this? I may check on my TV site's forum for people with my TV and Comcast... for what they use...

Dr. Awesome PhD
Unregistered guest
Hey folks, was just reading some of the posts here and was shocked by the enthusiasm. I actually work for Comcast, and it's somewhat rewarding to see subscribers as amped about the service as I am. Naturally, I use the HD/DVR converters, though, I'm a bigger fan of Video On Demand than the DVR... sweetest feature ever, that is, for the areas have it now (Saint Paul, MN). Anyway, just thought say, "Hello".

Anonymous

Satellite tv is worth it compared to cable. www.direct-tv-dish-network-4u .com/

ValVal1029
Unregistered guest
Hey Brian (& ALL!),

My only complaint are the analog channels looking "crappy" which you did warn about... They look great on the HD channels (even when the program isn't in HD) however I try not to watch those b/c of the black bars. I have a CRT and DO have to worry about burn in. It's killing me to watch ABC programming during the day on a bad channel when the HD one looks so much better!!!! Also, why is my soap so clear and in 5.1 on the HD channel if it's not really in HD? I would think that if a show like that is in 5.1 it WOULD be in HD... However I get the dreaded black bars...

Without the box (though splitter) looks much better, but it's not ideal having to switch the video & audio inputs.. Also- as you know, no DVR or program guide, etc...

One thing I did that helped is hooked the Motorola to the TV using S-Video (in addition to component) through video one. For whatever reason, this is better than through component on the lower channels... However, through S-Video the guide, info, and names of programming doesn't work. Comcast said the S-video it isn't "active" or something like that for the menus,..

Also, they said to try the other component input on TV (why would that matter?) but my DVD player is using that... What do you know about the DVI output/input? How does it compare to component? Should I use it?

The DVR is great although I still have to practice with the two tuner thing... I tried to set up 2 shows to record and they happened to be at the same time so one of them said it wouldn't record! How can that be if there are 2 tuners? Also the program guide and program search isn't nearly as good as with DISH which worked for at least a whole week of programming. I've searched for shows that are on 2 days from now with the Motorola and they don't come up... or say TBA on the guide...

All in all, so far, I feel I've lost in some places and gained in others with the switch... I miss the SD quality of the lower & local channels with dish! and the DISH guide, program search...

However, how great is it to watch primetime in HD???? Unbelievable!!! I find I'll watch ANYTHING that's in HD!!! Can't wait to watch American Idol in HD and 5.1!!! Also, On Demand is awesome from what I can see so far!!!

If I were in your position and didn't have to worry about burn in I would be much happier in not worrying about the black bars. (I am stretching the picture for the SD channels but using my Pioneer TV's modes- which are better than the Motorola's Stretch mode... With my next TV this won't be an issue, but i paid $3000. for this one 2 years ago so it won't be for awhile!
(53" Pioneer Elite PRO530-HD)

Sorry for the lengthiness of my "review"! If anyone has suggestions or comments let me know! : )

Bronze Member

Syracuse, Utah USA

Post Number: 92
The War is over, Comcast has WON!!!! I will be a comcast customer for life now that Tivo is comming. I don't care if I have to pay extra for the Tivo service, it's soooooo worth it!!!

Check out today's huge news!!!!
TiVo Wins Deal with Comcast, Stock Rises
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=581&e=3&u=/nm/20050315/tc_nm/tec h_tivo_dc

Bronze Member

Syracuse, Utah USA

Post Number: 93
ValVal,

Your guide takes a long time to fully populate...it holds atleast 2 weeks of guide info, maybe more. It holds more than I ever look into the future for!

Your other component input will look the same, don't bother.

DVI is what I use. HD looks slightly better imo. I didn't compare the SD channels over DVI, I don't know if they look better, worse, or same as component or svideo. I don't watch much SD, so I don't really care.

Can you not stretch your HD channels when they have black bars to fill the entire screen. You would do this on your TV, not the DVR. You should be able to. I wouldn't worry too much about black bar burn in unless you're watching a ton of content that way. If it's only a couple hours/day, I wouldn't even worry about it.

Not sure why you had difficulty recording two shows at the same time, I've never had a problem with that. I wonder if you had a 3rd show that was the problem? Make sure you know about thw "swap" button, which allows you to switch between the two tuners. You'll need that if you want to change the channel and you're currently on the tuner which is recording soemthing...it's not smart enough (like tivo) to automatically change to the other tuner for you.

American Idol looks and sounds amazing in HD...I'm sure you'll figure that out tonight!

Silver Member

Syracuse, Utah USA

Post Number: 104
I played around with my format settings again last night and I changed my mind. I like it set to "Off" instead of 480p for the override setting. That way it is in 720p (1080i for you) 100% of the time and it upscales everything else to 720p. This does give you the black bars for 4:3, which I like but you don't. But, you should be able to stretch the picture on your TV to remove the black bars.

Also, I have an idea of why svideo might appear to look better for you. Look at your sharpness settings for the svideo input and component input. Are they different? You should adjust your sharpness almost all the way down.

Username: Valval1029

Rahway, NJ

I'll try that out! I know I do have my sharpness way down on my setttings... On both I think... The S-Video has less snow/graininess. It actually is only slightly worse than using the antenna without the box! Did you try it on yours?

I figured out about recording 2 shows. It was the swap button. Kind of weird that it doesn't automatically go to the 2nd tuner!
I'll keep an eye on my guide. Maybe now it has filled up!

Also, on the HD channels, my screen locks into FULL for all programming. I can use my TV stretch modes for all of the other channels. One of them is pretty good and I've used it for 2 years so am used to it... I'd like to get my HD channels stretched (when not in 16:9) so I'll keep playing with that. Maybe if I set the override to OFF.

By the way, AMERICAN IDOL WAS INCREDIBLE IN HD!!!!!!!!!! It's so beautiful you could jump right in! : )

Rahway, NJ

OH! One other thing I wanted to ask that has to do with the DVR and the remote.

For me, the 4 white arrows that surround the "Select" button work the DVR. So, when I hit the right arrow I get the status bar? (where you are in the show) instead of the mini-guide. The up button pauses, etc... Comcast said this was normal now even though the manual doesn't mention it! Actually as SOON as I change the channel, the right arrow will give me the mini guide, but after a few seconds the right arrow brings me to the bar...

Same for you?

Nate M.
Unregistered guest
Hi All,
First, let me just say thanks to all of you. I have had about a million questions, and this is the first that hasn't been answered by the dialog that already exists on this forum.
Let me return to something Val Val brought up that I didn't see an answer to. She wrote:

"I set the output to 1080 and the 4:3 override to stretch...
Looks bad. (The stretch mode on my TV is better, but can't be used b/c it is stuck on full when using the component video inputs...)"

I am having a similar problem. I just switched from DirectTV to Comcasts two tuner HD DVR. When I tried to set the resolution output, anything other than 480p left me with my TV stuck in full mode, but with black bars on the side of the picture, even when watching an HD channel. I have a Sony Grand Wega 50" LCD projection.

Any suggestions?

Rahway, NJ

Post Number: 8
Yes, same here. Brian mentioned setting the override to OFF, but when I do that ALL channels are stuck in full. On 480p I am only stuck in full on the HD Channels (whether it's an HDTV program or just a digital one)...but on the other channels I can use my TV's stretch modes to fill the screen... When you get black bars on the HD channel it may not be in HD! Make sure you're watching a program that is in HD... Primetime viewing is your best bet or I think the PBS in HD is ALWAYS in HD...
Did this help at all?

On another topic regarding S-Video---- If the override is set to 480i the menu, program guide WILL work through S-Video but will not allow the HD programming... so I guess it's not worth it... BRIAN- should my sharpness be WAY DOWN for the component (HD) programming or just SD??????

Rahway, NJ

Post Number: 10
ERROR ON MY LAST POST ABOUT S-VIDEO-- I MEANT IF THE FIRST OPTION (NOT OVERRIDE) IS SET TO 480I INSTEAD OF 1080, ETC...

Bronze Member

Rahway, NJ

Post Number: 11
Nate, are you talking about the DVI/YPbPr Output or the 4:3 override? I just re-read your post...

The output depends on your TV. I have a 53" rear projection and it is set on 16:9 for TV Type and 1080i for the output. Presently the override is on 480p.

Not sure if your output would be the same. Brian or someone else will know much better... : )

Nate M
Unregistered guest
Hey Val,
Both. When I would manually try to change either the DVI/YPbPr Output or the 4:3 override to anything but 480i and "off", respectively, I would get locked into the "side bars" on every channel, including the supposed High Def channels. Plus, I now realize that I was not getting Hi Def, since even when I had it in 480i and off, so that I was getting a normal feed, I was getting the "top and bottom bars" on the HD channels. I fixed it though.

When I selected "Reset to Default", it set the DVI/YPbPr output to 1080i and the override to 480i, and it worked. I then started getting actual Hi Def, and got rid of the side bars. I'm not sure why it wouldn't let me do that by switching them one at a time, but it didn't.

Now, I am only having the issue that you were complaining about: When I am on an HD Channel but watching a non-HD show, I am stuck with the side bars, when I would prefer to have the picture stretched to fill the TV. But, that is a very minor problem compared to what I was having.

ON A SEPERATE NOTE:

I am not quite as enthusiastic as Brian about the switch that I made from Direct TV with a two tuner TIVO to Comcast with a two tuner Motorola DVR. My logic for making the switch was exactly the same as Brian's: I refused to give up the two tuner DVR, but really wanted to make use of my HDTV, without paying for the $999 DirecTV option. What I didn't know, however, is that in Lansing (where I live) Comcast only offers one local channel in HD (NBC). Since I don't watch many shows on NBC, and almost all of the shows that my wife and I do watch are on other (non-HD) channels, the HD gets used very rarely, with the exception of some fantastic ESPN viewing. Still, that doesn't even come close to making up for the HUGE difference in quality of all the channels we do watch. With DirecTV, every channel looked pretty darn good, even if not in HD. With Comcast, channels like HGTV and the WB(my wife's favorites) and CBS and ABC look horrible by comparison. I know I can get around it to some degree by splitting the cable, but then I have to watch without the DVR, which is no good at all.

So, I guess my advice for those thinking about making the switch is the following: make sure that by switching, you will be able to get most of the shows you watch in HD. If they don't offer those channels in HD in your area, the LOSS in quality of most of what you watch will make changing from DirecTV to Comcast a net loss.

I hope that this won't be true for long, but it is certainly true in Lansing right now.

BTW, anyone know when Lansing Comcast is likely to get more HD channels? Anyone know where I can find that info?

- Nate in Lansing

Silver Member

Syracuse, Utah USA

Post Number: 105
Nate,

Wow, yeah, if I only had one local HD channel I'd feel the same way you do. I'm lucky to live in an area where all the major networks are available in HD. You might call your local Comcast office and ask if they have dates for more HD channels. If you end up going back to DirecTV, by the end of this quarter they're supposed to have their two new satellites online streaming HD in MPEG4 and local HD channels are supposed to be available by then. But, I'm guessing in your area only 1 of your stations broadcasts in HD, so it probably would not make a difference. You should call your local TV stations and ask them if they have an HD broadcast OTA. If they are broadcasting HD, ask them when it'll be available with Comcast. I bet your local stations will give you some good info.

Also, I wonder if you were adjusting the wrong setting. When I change the "4:3 Override" setting I get HD no matter what setting it's on, so I don't really understand the problem you had. Makes me think you set the other output instead.

User your TV to stretch the picture
You and Val, can you not stretch the picture with your TV...not the DVR? I can. But, my TV is a DLP...maybe the CRT's don't offer stretch for 1080i?

Silver Member

Syracuse, Utah USA

Post Number: 106
Sharpness
The reason you should have your sharpness set low is because it actually adds artifacts to the picture that are not supposed to be there. When you're watching a poor signal (Analog) it really amplifies the poor picture and makes it look even worse. Many TV's from the factory come with the sharpness setting set high.
I highly recommend buying the "Digital Video Essentials" DVD to optimize your TV settings (color,tint,sharpness, etc..) It will tell you way more than you want to know, and you'll probably spend a couple hours playing with it. But, it really clues you in to how your TV should be setup for optimal viewing.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005PJ70

Bronze Member

Rahway, NJ

Post Number: 12
HI! I can't stretch the HD Channels using tV. It locks on FULL for those channels...

I set Video 1(S-Video) & 2 (Component) with the exact same settings (w/ Sharpness all the way down to -25) and the s-video STILL looks better- slightly, but I can tell!. If I could only get the menu, guide, etc... to work through S-Video! If I use S-video for SD and Component for HD I'm wondering if the setting for sharpness on Both should be down or just with the SD? Someone else recommended that disk. I may get it. Is the picture very dark that way?

Username: Tdti1

If its the best picture quality you want, for HD and SD. You will need a real satellite dish, not a pizza dish, get a big dish with a 4dtv/HDD and you will see what HD is meant to look like. Here are some links that will help. For the best picture quality via satellite, a bud is number one, a good addition is also a dvb box. It is best to have a dual band feedhorn with both c/ku lnb's.

http://satellitetheater.com/C-Band%20World.htm
http://www.satellitehelp.com/installation_index.asp
http://www.callnps.com/motorola_4DTV.pdf

Dealer list:
http://onsat.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=12&sid=97b3cbf748baaea0c6e836b7bd9dec9f

Username: Tase2

On February 08, 2005 Brian Lampright
said "Oh, I forgot to mention a HUGE negative with the HD DirecTV Tivo. It cannot record your local HD shows that are received OTA."

But I just want to point out for the record about the HR10-250 "Yes, it can only receive digital broadcasts OTA via the built in ATSC tuners, it will record them if they are HD or not. Why would they bother putting two ATSC tuners in if you couldn't record OTA?"

Mark

Bronze Member
Username: Javmo200

Michigan

Post Number: 40
Interesting Foruim, As an Ex--Direct TV and now a cable Dig/HD/DVR all I can tell you is that the picture and sound is better. Also I am sure that must of us here have High speed cable and having both I save money. So great box with comp hook uo and optical dig sound ---I like it

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 270
I have both hi def cable and dish network and I switch back and forth on some of the same channels and notice that slow images they are about the same but on faster moving images the sat wins out by a landslide.

AlmondJoy
Unregistered guest
Which one is cheaper and shows a better picture, and you don't have to pay a monthly bill?

Well the picture quality of the feeds from the 4dtv makes the small dish and cable SD look like trash, the 4dtv is far superior, for the HD again the 4dtv along with the HDD 200 will put cable and small dish to shame, many will notice the quality difference on a large display, on a small display they all look close to the same. With the 4dtv you will have many SD feeds analog and digital free and I think only 2 HD feeds free, this is no sub, if you want to buy programming you can buy many feeds a la carte and pay by year, making it a lot cheaper than small dish and cable, you get more programming for less money and a higher quality image with the big dish.

my2cents
Unregistered guest
CableTV sucks...Satellite is the way to go for the future. No shared bandwith to worry.

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 200
your 2 cents were noted, then again some people say Satellite sucks too....gee who to believe.....

eduardo loco
Unregistered guest
Stuck between a rock and a hard place. I want comcast HD/DVR. I called Directv, My philips 35 hour Tivo is going bad and the hard drive freezes. They said they would replace it for free with an 80 hour one take $5 a month off of my bill for 6 months and I didnt have to sign another contract. I still dont have HD and would like it. What should I do. There is still not a lot of mention of the new HD program with DTV anymore. Should I switch?

Virginia
Unregistered guest
"No shared bandwith to worry."

no, just extremely compressed low rate HD Lite!
D* just went to 3 transponders on one feed for HD, PQ is getting worse and worse.

DTV will be doing a big swap to mpeg-4, but I will need to wait and see, at the moment and for the past 30 years the big dish is number one for best picture and sound quality, small dish SD looks so bad I can't even watch it cable not much better but big dish SD is super, some people think its HD when they come to my place hahaha, for HD small dish sucks again, though I heard the new Voom channels on Dish looked good, but cable looks great depending on your location and provider, and again big dish wins in the HD picture quality, so if you have a big screen and have room its a no brainer if you want the best.

Robert Zanzerkia
Unregistered guest
First this is a great post.
I just switched to Comcast because trees got in the way of my Dishnetwork. I had the HD reciever and local antenna to get local channels in HD near Boston. Setup worked great till trees decided to grow :-)
I was having problem with DSL (slow speed) so I figured I better combine both with Comcast.
They do have a great deal with Digital Plus programming as a dish win back you get $25 OFF for 16 months and first 6 months internet for 19.99. I could not pass up that deal. Hoping to get better HD channels for my tv. I have Pioneer Elite 53" very nice picture I have seen around.
I might upgrade to DVR but we don't watch too much TV to begin with.

TerpRaven
Unregistered guest
I just switched over to Comcast from Directv as well. I am getting the digital plus two (HBO and showtime)plus HD services and a DVR for only $74.90 a month for 16 months. I was currently paying almost $60 a month for DirecTV's total choice plus with HBO (no HD or DVR). I just purchased a new 52 inch Mitsubishi 725 TV so I wanted HD and DirecTV wanted me to purchase like $499 in equipment (new dish and antenna), so it was a no brainer for me to switch. I get it installed on Saturday morning, is there anything I should know ahead of time? I have never had HD service or a DVR.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1710
IMO, switching from DirectTV to Comcast is like trading your new car in for a mule pulling a cart.

Robert Zanzerkia
Unregistered guest
I got the Comcast installed last weekend. I upgraded to Motorola DVR (dual tuner). With dual tuner I assume you can watch one show while recording other? I can't do that, it says 'stop recording'. Is it possible the 2nd tuner input is not connected? Also how do you get into setup screen? DVR is really great. I love ability to record HD programming.

my2cents
Unregistered guest
yall people are paying too much for HD program. DirectTV & Comcast both suck like a 2-day-old hooker.

I got over 40 PPV & all the basic channels like MTV, MTV2, espn, espnHD, espn2, and so on, you name it, for free.

it's time for you people to look into FTA (free to air) satellite. if you can read my message, this is how I got it started.

Stop paying too much $$$ monthly services to comcast or directTV

The channels you mention are not in the clear, I find them free sometimes and I find live ESPN feeds though there is not 40 ppv channels free, and if you are doing some illegal thing with Dish Network you will have nothing soon, I have a big dish with c/ku a 4dtv and a dvb I get a ton of programming cheaper than anyone else and many channels are free, I do not steel anything and am very happy with my setup.

my2cents
Unregistered guest
i m not doing anything illegal. I just do my research and find the software and patches for my box and make it works. beside, these box are sold legally in the US. so i m not worry.

I m very happy with my setup that i get all those channels for free, except for porrn channels, but i m happy with when I can tune in any NFL game every sunday & monday nite football games.

If it wasn't for cable tv and satellite service vendors over charging people for the services, then i would have subscribe the service.

Bronze Member

You are steeling the signal know matter how you look at it, you are entering a hack into the box to get programming free that everyone else is paying for, sounds to me you are doing it with dish network, you will not have much time left with that setup, I get many free games also with know illegal hack, I just need to hunt for feeds on both analog and digital, anyway I ain't your mother and am not telling you what is right or wrong so I guess you can enjoy it while it lasts :-)

D3
Unregistered guest
All you people who are so excited about Comcast's pricing let me tell you this. They get your in with these great 12 month promotions and then after that they jack it up. I am paying $110 a month for digital cable (no HDTV) and internet. You will go back to DirectTV...I am...

JCK
Unregistered guest
I have a Comcast HD box and a Panasonic TH-37px50U plasma. The network HD channel come in with side bars. Despite best efforts I can't figure out how to strech the image. Changes at the box level don't seem to help. Neither does changes at the Tv

fx
Unregistered guest
You can't stretch an image with sidebars when it is output at an HD resolution, the sidebars are part of the transmission. You could go to the trouble of changing the STB internal menu settings so that it outputs 480i and use the stretch mode on your plasma. Hardly seems worth the effort to go back and forth when you have a true HD input and need to switch back and forth.

xvxvxvx

Unregistered guest
so assuming we're gonna be living
with the sidebars for awhile,
watching non-HD progs
on the HD channells,
do they have to be grey?!!
or are they broadcast like that?
i'd like black ones

fx
Unregistered guest
Again to reitterate: The sidebars are part of the broadcast on an HD channel if the input is 720p or 1080i. You cannot change their color without changing the color of the entire picture being displayed.

The color of the sidebars on 4:3 480i programming is a function of either your display or in some cases the STB (if using either Cable or a Satellite receiver). My display has a choice of gray, black or a sort of mauve color. It is under the internal menu settings of your display. The less expensive your display the less likely it will have a similar feature.

If you are using a plasma display you do not want black sidebars no matter how much you think you might. Gray will cause less burn-in than all black sidebars. You are being protected from yourself, kind of like seatbelts.

xvxvxvx

Bronze Member
Username: D_singh

Post Number: 18
I thought burn-in (one can argue the validity or such a phenomenon) happens when a pixel is represented as one color for an extended period of time, i.e. it doesn't matter what color side bars are, simply the fact that those pixels do not change color will cause those pixels to retain that color permanently, similar to a network logo on the bottom corner of the screen being burned-in to the screen.

fx
Unregistered guest
Technically correct Singh but (there is always a but isn't there?) on a plasma either all white or all black will be much worse than either mauve or a shade of gray. Different displays (like CRT's compared to plasmas) have different types of burn-in.

xvxvxvx

HuskyDude
Unregistered guest
I have and HDTV with built-in hdtv tuner. If i wanted to get comcast cable, will i get all their HD programming without the set-top box?

Bill968596
Unregistered guest
Look at the Dish Network 942 HD DVR. For $5 a month, you get independent DVR in two rooms, one HD and one analog -- up to 180 hours in SD and 25 hours in HD. The HD DVR also records off-air broadcasts. All recordings, HD, SD and off-air, can be viewed in either room on either DVR -- the HD recordings are converted to SD for the SD DVR.

The 2nd-room SD DVR service can be split to serve numerous rooms with DVR capability and controlled by its dedicated remote control. For example, the 2nd DVR could be shared by your guest room, sun room and kitchen, where the UHF remote control could be used to access all receiver features and functions. However, the SD service is shared -- the same channel is viewed in those rooms.

If independent viewing in the extra rooms is desired, a free SD DVR may be added to the account that serves two more rooms with independent SD recording for an additional $10 monthly fee.

There are 15 HD channels available for $15 a month -- 10 Voom channels, Discovery, ESPN, TNT, HD Net and HD Net Movies (plus HBO and Showtime at no extra charge if you subscribe to them in SD).

COST: If HD is your prime target, take the 15 HD channels plus the mandatory Dish Network "Top 60" SD basic package (actually about 75 channels plus the 15 HD) for $52 per month. Remember, that includes independent DVR in two rooms (one in HD) with the ability to record two channels at once while watching programs you previously recorded or either of the recordings in progress in either room.

Again, you can have four independent DVRs -- one HD and three SD, a total of 280 hours of recording -- for $62 per month.

Yes, I'm a Dish Network dealer. I have no idea what cable's product offers, but this is Dish Network's current offer. The setup fee, including installation and equipment, is $250.

I paid more than that, wholesale, for one Toshiba Hi-Fi VHS VCR in 1992 -- when I was selling 10-foot C-band satellite systems for $2500. Just for comparison.

Merry Christmas!

PS -- Tell your congress person that you demand ala carte cable and satellite programming. People who are still watching those "obsolete" C-band big dishes are still ordering EXACTLY the channels they want, at a rough average of $1 per channel per month for typical basic services.

Imagine getting your 20 favorite channels that you now pay $70 a month for now -- for just $20 a month, with no shopping channels or garbage fillers for you to complain about. The FCC and a few cable providers are coming on board to the idea that ala carte -- buying just what you want -- is the way to go. Imagine that. Email the rascals. Call them on the phone. Send them a post card and demand that they demand ala carte TV for the USA.

Case in point -- many of my customers are older folks on limited pensions who may just want to watch the Grand Ole Opry, Discovery, TLC and a couple of other other channels. Why, oh, why do they have to pay Dish Network or the cable company $50 a month of their scarce income for that small pleasure? For $6 a month, they could have everything they want, if congress acts.

What a boost to the economy THAT would be.

Anonymous

Ala carte programming is the worst idea ever. What will eventually happen if they switch to ala carte is that the choices will eventually be trimmed down. People will choose only the channels they watch on a regular basis, therefore the "non-mainstream" channels will not get any support. Cable/Satellite companies will then no longer offer these channels.

I like the idea of having all of the channels available all at once. I may not watch them all on a regular basis, but they are there when I see something interesting.

Unregistered guest
I have switched to Dish Network after receiving a good f******g from the likes of Comcast. I have 51' Sony LCD, the HD quality of Dish is light years beyond that of Comcast. I have installed a Dish942 Dual Tuner HD-DVR receiver. It allows me to watch something on one channel meanwhile recording something on a different channel. The good thing about the Dish receiver is that it has an integrated off-air tuner that is capable of reading an HD signal via my directional antenna. The local HD picture that I receive from my antenna is immaculate compared to crappy fuzzy cable picture. Comcast HD in my opinion seriously looks like hell. I have all of the Dish Network HD channels and I have also subscribed to the Voom HD channels that is provided by only DishNet at this point. With all of the programming that I have, I am still precisely 24$ a month under what Comcast was charge, and I now have more programming. Anyone who has Comcast is kidding themselves. Especially because of their Digital quality. Its bullshit. I'll stick with satellite tv from here on out.

Unregistered guest
I have switched to Dish Network after receiving a good f******g from the likes of Comcast. I have 51' Sony LCD, the HD quality of Dish is light years beyond that of Comcast. I have installed a Dish942 Dual Tuner HD-DVR receiver. It allows me to watch something on one channel meanwhile recording something on a different channel. The good thing about the Dish receiver is that it has an integrated off-air tuner that is capable of reading an HD signal via my directional antenna. The local HD picture that I receive from my antenna is immaculate compared to crappy fuzzy cable picture. Comcast HD in my opinion seriously looks like hell. I have all of the Dish Network HD channels and I have also subscribed to the Voom HD channels that is provided by only DishNet at this point. With all of the programming that I have, I am still precisely 24$ a month under what Comcast was charge, and I now have more programming. Anyone who has Comcast is kidding themselves. Especially because of their Digital quality. Its bullshit. I'll stick with satellite tv from here on out.

Unregistered guest
I personally love DishNetwork, DirecTV isn't that badd I guess it is still better than any so called digital cable provider(in reality all the channels through cable are about 30% digital and 70% analog which is why it looks like S**T!!!) HD looks awesome on my 65" Toshiba. I also work for DIshNetwork, so if anyone has any questions about how any of the equipment works or if they are just interested in getting set-up with dish you can call me, the office number is 1-800-747-8927, and ask for Larry. With just standard equipment(NO 942[HD-DVR])there is a $49.99 activation fee. If you are interested in the HD-DVR, however there is a $250 upgrade fee and that reciever will be shipped to your home within 10 days so there may be a little bit of a wait to get an installer to the home. But trust me it's well worth the wait. You think your cable bill has gone up before, this year alone the cable providers are expecting a monthly increase of at 40%, possibly even closer to 70%, think of how that's going to feel??? I'll go through the systems just to show you how much you could save with equal or more channels and better service. The price changes are to show the promotional periods. DishNetwork is now giving HBO, CINEMAX, and SHOWTIME free for 3 months as well as $12 off for the 1st three months on the AT60 paqckage.

1-2 tvs no dvr at60(basic) $19.99-$31.99
1-2 tvs dvr at60(basic) $24.99-$36.99
3-4 tvs no dvr at60(basic) $24.99-$36.99
3-4 tvs dvr at60(basic) $29.99-$41.99

Any channel past the basic You will recieve first month of programming paid for by DishNetwork, keep in mind DVR or second reciever fee will still apply to the bill, but with the $49.99 credit you will be recieving for signing on for 18 months you still will not have to pay for the first month of service

1-2 tvs no dvr at120 $42.99
1-2 tvs dvr at120 $47.99
3-4 tvs no dvr at120 $47.99
3-4 tvs dvr at120 $52.99

1-2 tvs no dvr at180 $52.99
1-2 tvs dvr at180 $57.99
3-4 tvs no dvr at180 $57.99
3-4 tvs dvr at180 $62.99

Hi-Def is another story, OK keep in mind that the fliers you have recieved are correct all of the equipment and standard installation is going to be free, to all cusomers, how ever you are still going to be paying for the additional service required to power this equipment. The third price shown is the HD service, which is going to be paid for by DishNetwork for the first 6 months of service. Also keep in mind if you want 10 more Hi-Def channels ask for the VOOM programming for $5.00 more a month. But with the VOOM channels a switch may need to be put in place and if it is required which it hardly ever is than that will be an additional $59.99. Just stating that so there is no confusion.

1HDTV no dvr at 60 $19.99-$31.99-$41.99
2HDTV no dvr at 60 $24.99-$36.99-$46.99
1HDTV 1-2 Dig. TV at60 no dvr $24.99-$36.99-$46.99
2HDTV 1-2 Dig. TV at 60 no dvr $29.99-$41.99-$51.99
1HDTV 3 Dig. TV at 60 no dvr $29.99-$41.99-$51.99

If you want a DVR it will work on two digital tvs or 1 HDTV with no additional upgrade fee. How ever with the 942(HD-DVR) reciever the dvr can work on 1HDTV and 1 digital TV, but with the 942 reciever there is a $250 dollar upgrade fee and again that reciever will be shipped your home within 10 days. I live in Indiana, and still a Junior in high school, only 17 and I ussually bring in per week as much as most of my teachers do at school. They love me for that(sense the sarcasm) so I work from 4-11 week days and 10-5 every saturday the only day off is on sunday. So if you do call in and I'm not in the office, please leave your name and number with one of the sales reps. at the office and I will call you as soon as I get in the office. I know that sounds selfish, but we do work on commission and I think that would be kind of crappy if someone else made money off of my work.

So all in all, I hope this helped you, if you were thinking about switching or even if you weren't maybe you can give Dish a thought and call in if you have any questions i would be happy to help you out. I would sign up for a registration to this web site, but I'm posting this from a schools laptop they are kind of if-ee when it comes to letting me bring mine in and these apples are hunks of junk if you have ever worked on one you know what I mean. I hope this has been aducational, and I hope to speak to any or perhaps all persons that read this. It has been a pleasure, talk to you when you call.

Your friend
Larry Snyder

Unregistered guest
I personally love DishNetwork, DirecTV isn't that badd I guess it is still better than any so called digital cable provider(in reality all the channels through cable are about 30% digital and 70% analog which is why it looks like S**T!!!) HD looks awesome on my 65" Toshiba. I also work for DIshNetwork, so if anyone has any questions about how any of the equipment works or if they are just interested in getting set-up with dish you can call me, the office number is 1-800-747-8927, and ask for Larry. With just standard equipment(NO 942[HD-DVR])there is a $49.99 activation fee. If you are interested in the HD-DVR, however there is a $250 upgrade fee and that reciever will be shipped to your home within 10 days so there may be a little bit of a wait to get an installer to the home. But trust me it's well worth the wait. You think your cable bill has gone up before, this year alone the cable providers are expecting a monthly increase of at least 40%, possibly even closer to 70%, think of how that's going to feel??? I'll go through the systems just to show you how much you could save with equal or more channels and better service. The price changes are to show the promotional periods. DishNetwork is now giving HBO, CINEMAX, and SHOWTIME free for 3 months as well as $12 off for the 1st three months on the AT60 paqckage.

1-2 tvs no dvr at60(basic) $19.99-$31.99
1-2 tvs dvr at60(basic) $24.99-$36.99
3-4 tvs no dvr at60(basic) $24.99-$36.99
3-4 tvs dvr at60(basic) $29.99-$41.99

Any channel past the basic You will recieve first month of programming paid for by DishNetwork, keep in mind DVR or second reciever fee will still apply to the bill, but with the $49.99 credit you will be recieving for signing on for 18 months you still will not have to pay for the first month of service

1-2 tvs no dvr at120 $42.99
1-2 tvs dvr at120 $47.99
3-4 tvs no dvr at120 $47.99
3-4 tvs dvr at120 $52.99

1-2 tvs no dvr at180 $52.99
1-2 tvs dvr at180 $57.99
3-4 tvs no dvr at180 $57.99
3-4 tvs dvr at180 $62.99

Hi-Def is another story, OK keep in mind that the fliers you have recieved are correct all of the equipment and standard installation is going to be free, to all cusomers, how ever you are still going to be paying for the additional service required to power this equipment. The third price shown is the HD service, which is going to be paid for by DishNetwork for the first 6 months of service. Also keep in mind if you want 10 more Hi-Def channels ask for the VOOM programming for $5.00 more a month. But with the VOOM channels a switch may need to be put in place and if it is required which it hardly ever is than that will be an additional $59.99. Just stating that so there is no confusion.

1HDTV no dvr at 60 $19.99-$31.99-$41.99
2HDTV no dvr at 60 $24.99-$36.99-$46.99
1HDTV 1-2 Dig. TV at60 no dvr $24.99-$36.99-$46.99
2HDTV 1-2 Dig. TV at 60 no dvr $29.99-$41.99-$51.99
1HDTV 3 Dig. TV at 60 no dvr $29.99-$41.99-$51.99

If you want a DVR it will work on two digital tvs or 1 HDTV with no additional upgrade fee. How ever with the 942(HD-DVR) reciever the dvr can work on 1HDTV and 1 digital TV, but with the 942 reciever there is a $250 dollar upgrade fee and again that reciever will be shipped your home within 10 days. I live in Indiana, and still a Junior in high school, only 17 and I ussually bring in per week as much as most of my teachers do at school. They love me for that(sense the sarcasm) so I work from 4-11 week days and 10-5 every saturday the only day off is on sunday. So if you do call in and I'm not in the office, please leave your name and number with one of the sales reps. at the office and I will call you as soon as I get in the office. I know that sounds selfish, but we do work on commission and I think that would be kind of crappy if someone else made money off of my work.

So all in all, I hope this helped you, if you were thinking about switching or even if you weren't maybe you can give Dish a thought and call in if you have any questions i would be happy to help you out. I would sign up for a registration to this web site, but I'm posting this from a schools laptop they are kind of if-ee when it comes to letting me bring mine in and these apples are hunks of junk if you have ever worked on one you know what I mean. I hope this has been aducational, and I hope to speak to any or perhaps all persons that read this. It has been a pleasure, talk to you when you call.

Your friend
Larry Snyder

dishquestion
Unregistered guest
Do you need a 2nd dish to get HD on Dishnet? Do you have to add an LNB or change the original dish?

Unregistered guest
Reply to Dish Question:
Well you can do it 2 types of ways, if you are an existing customer and you have a Dish 1000 to recieve all channels then definately not. even if you are a new customer then they will GIVE you a Dish 1000. But if you are an existing customer then you may need to purchase one all you have to do is call DishNetwork customer service and they can help you, there. But if not you can give me a call at the number above(800--747-8927)and I can help you out with getting set up. I'll be in the office in about an hour I'll be on here for another 15 min. you can reply with name and number and i will check this site on my laptop when i get to work. If you want to do that???
Always here to help,
Larry Snyder

Username: Dish_rep

Greensburg, IN United States

if any of your wives or girlfriends are mad because of the drop of lifetime, tell them they should only have to wait for at most another week at the longest. The prob. was that they demanded a 76% increase in pay. Every month DishNet pays them $1.00 for every subscriber, they want $1.76, which means that your bills would have went up. Dish Net has only dropped three channels and guess what 2 of them were lifetime. but anyways they have been doing business with each other for 10 years now. so im pretty sure they will work it out.
Just in case,
Larry Snyder

Anonymous

Anyone who is excited about getting HiDef Cable service is a f***ing moron. Cable just plain straight out sux. I don't understand how you think you can go from DishNet or DirecTV which both broadcast in 100% digital, and there 1080 HiDef, and go to cable which had sh**ty HiDef, and 30% digital quality channels yeah good luck on your cable service this year when your prices rise about 70%, thats sounds like a good plan 70% analog for more than you can get 100% digital quality, my advice to all who have cable go to DishNet, they beat any cable or satellite provider by far, no competition. Larry you have some really good posts real informative.

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 635
Most cable systems are going to full digital simulcast this year, so there goes that argument. What that means is anybody with a STB would be able to get full digital or HD services on their TV. Since satellite systems require a STB as well, cable customers will still be able to get analog channels on TV's without STB's and the ones with STB's will enjoy all digital or HD. Since satellite does require a STB on any TV to receive their signals, I'd say that's definitely a postive for cable. I'm not going to slam on satellite services, #1 since I don't have any, and #2 there are pros and cons to both types of systems. People that have satellite systems know all the good and bad things that are related to that type of service, there's no need to bad mouth as the debate will always rage. It's easier to say there are problems with both types of service, the person paying the bills needs to figure out which type provides the most for their buck.

Unregistered guest
Hello - I am a current Directv subscriber (non hi-def) in the San Francisco area who is strongly thinking of going to Comcast. My only hesitation is supposedly poor picture quality. I'd like to correct a misconception, however, about Directv pic quality - hi def may be great, but SD channels SUCK. I'm getting horrible pixelation and digital artifacting. Yes, I have calibrated my TV and turned down sharpness. But Directv is overly compressing SD signals to maintain bandwidth restrictions in light of all their HD channels. This sucks for us SD customers. Watching football this weekend gave me a terrible headache as all players looked like they were surrounded by fuzzy clouds. The Directv forums were full of complaints about this but they have started erasing those posts - I for one have been banned from the forums for bringing this issue up. There are some interesting benefits to Comcast - the HD DVR is cheaper (I wanted to go HD but can't stomach putting in a new dish and paying $400 for the Directv HD DVR), my local channels would require an antenna (and I can't get Giants or Warriors games in HD anywhere but Comcast) but I have not previously made the move because of the supposed difference in picture quality. But since November, when Directv made a software update to compress SD channels further, the SD picture is practically unwatchable. Will this be my experience with Comcast as well?

fx
Unregistered guest
Alex,

Contrary to the post above by ANON, Comcast systemwide does not compress or bit starve any digital signals, including of course HiDef. That being said they only pass what is provided to them. If the signal from your local ABC afilliate is multi-casting the signal Comcast receives and in turn passes to you will be of a lower bandwidth and you may experience macro blocking and artifacts.

Any SD digital programming will look inferior to HD programming on any big screen display. After all you are filling up the same size screen with less data, it cannot be helped.

Analog programming is subject to the A to D converter in your STB as well as to the scaling either in your STB or your display's internal scaler.

After all the above has been outlined the bottom line is that DTV compresses bandwidth on nearly all of their channels and Comcast (in fact most cable companies) does not.

Good luck,

xvxvxvx

O.K. you may be able to watch all of yor digital channels with your Cable Service provider, how ever the price is going to go up so much this year alone it's not even going to be worth staying with cable. Every one will see come Feb. 1st when the new DishNet promo starts who you should go with. I can tell you ONE thing locals will be available in HiDef w/ the DISH1000 which DishNet is giving to new customers. But You are going to believe what you want, and you are also going to pay what you don't want for you cable. Good Luck either way you go. You have My number

dish_rep

Sry but you can't argue w/ the facts, anyone who has satellite now and thinks they will get better picture w/ cable, it may happen, not very often will it happen, but it may. And when you are paying out the A** for you so-called digital picture, you will come back to satellite. That's just how it is.

alex afterman
Unregistered guest
I'm not against coming back to sattelite down the road - one nice thing about Comcast (and may be true with Dish, but certainly not with DTV) is that there is no minimum commitment. Also, I'm getting $30 off/month for 1 year for leaving sattelite. So if I'm doing this for a year then going to Dish (NEVER EVER will I work with DirecTV again) that's fine with me.
Hey, Mr. Snyder and anyone on here with a cable company, DirecTV is having a huge problem right now they are trying to sweep under the rug but could be really useful to those of you pushing competitive products - they really are overly compressing SD channels and it's creating ghosting. This is a legit problem affecting tons of their customers, many of whom have been complaining on the DirecTV user forums only to be banned from them and their posts removed (as has happened to me). Lots of people feeling ripped off and feeling like DirecTV promises a top picture but is not delivering. Feel free to spread the word when trying to get new customers, or tell your marketing people about this, I'm sure they'd be interested to know.
A few DTV users I know of are contemplating legal action, and we've all filed complaints with the FTC, FCC and our state consumer regulatory boards.

fx
Unregistered guest
Larry,

How about the $16 increase in Dish HD programming increase beginning Feb 1st? You now cannot get the VOOm channels separately from the HD package?
Sat programming will likely never be as wide bandwidth as any cable company will offer.

xvxvxvx

alex,

would you give me the address of these such sites?? that could be very useful for my company as well as me personally. I have had many people call in to get set up with Dish, that have DirecTV currently and are speaking of the exact same measures. Any info will help immensly, and i can do my own research as well.

Thanks for the help.

dish_rep

fx,

yes there may be a price increase, I'm not sure exactly how you know the exact price increase??? I work for the company and I don't even know??? But yes there will be a price increase, that is inevidable. You are expecting to get more service for the exact same price that's idiotic to even think that a company could do such a thing. C'mon, I'm not trying to bring down or deface any cable services in some cases the local cable company is cheaper adn has very good service. But in more cases than not the Dish will be less expensive and be consistent in their prices. At this moment DishNet has had 1 price raise in the past 7 years, and that was $2, name any cable company that has done that........and have only dropped 3 channels(2 of which were the LIFETIME channels). So yes the HD service may rise, I don't really need to get averyone DishNet, he** if no one got signed up from the posts i leave, that wouldnt hurt my feelings at all, I'm jut trying to help because I know alot of people out there are paying a SH*T load for SH*TTY service, it happens. DIRECTV still have over twice the customers DishNet has, but the numbers have been changing drammatically, but people will always be changing services it happens. There are people out there just like you who are pushing toward DishNet just as hard as you are pushing for you cable, but if we are going to talk about price increase what about the 70% increase your cable bill is going to increase this year??? It is going to happen the cable service providers already have released that.......Again you are going to believe what you want and do the exact same thing you have been doing which is what you, and that is your right, the only one that can change that is YOU.

It's been real

Larry Snyder

alex afterman
Unregistered guest
Hi Larry,

Here is the info you requested for complaints about Directv - I know several people who were banned from the Directv user boards for airng these issues have gone to these agencies with their complaints:

Federal Trade Commission - http://www.ftc.gov/ - 877-382-4357
FCC - http://www.fcc.gov/ - 888-225-5322

Better Business Bureaus are local by city, and state consumer agencies are (obviously) by state, so the ones I used won't work for anyone not in my area but they are easy enough to track down. In fact, the FTC woman I talked to gave me my local numbers.

Most of us Directv users are as angry about DTV sweeping the issue under the rug as we are about the quality issues themselves. They refuse to admit they have this problem even though hundreds of people are complaining, and they erase our posts and ban us from their forums. Thank god for other forums where free speech is allowed.

Post Number: 8
Hey Alex,
Thanks for the info I'll post some DishNet on the sites. I've been trying to hunt down DireTV user forums and have been unsuccessful but I will try to speak some of these people if possible through posts such as these. Thanks again for all o fthe help. If you are thinking about making a change and are still looking to stay w/ satellite DishNet has a really good promo going on right now that ends on the 1st. I do have a Sales meeting this saturday over the new promo, So I will post what I recieve if possible. My girlfriend Jacked my laptop up, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to get the Hard Disk completed cleaned Oh well everything important I have made a copy of on my JumpDrive, awesome invention. But anyways i you would be interested in getting installed w/ DishNet, I have posted almost all of the possible setups available on previous posts just above the one you are reading right now. Thanks again

dish_rep

Thanks for the sites. If you are thinking about switching providers DishNet is having a very good promo going on right now that ends on the 31st, If you are interested? I will have additional info. on the new promo (starts Feb. 1st) on this Sat. hopefully if my laptop is fixed by that time. Thanks again for that info. For more info on DishNet you can look at my previous posts or you can go to dishnetwork.com and that website has pretty much everything you need to know about DishNet.

Thanks again,
Larry Snyder

Unregistered guest
I'm in the same boat as Alex. We've been talking about the poor compression that DirecTV is currently using on the non-HD channels as well as the HD to some degree. They have major problems over there that they are not stating and trying to pass off on the consumer. I just signed up for the service about 3 weeks ago and its been a struggle. I work in video and own my own small studio, so I'm a little more tech savvy than the average person, and its totally obvious to me that this is compression issue which DirecTV refuses to acknowledge. We've been banned for talking about it on their tech forum, I've gotten the runaround on the phone many many times and this is not an isolated incident. Too bad you can't all go read the forum. They took down the post. I did save it and will post it here or wherever if anyone wants to read more. It's lengthy though, so perhaps you should email me if you want it so that I don't make anyone on here mad.

DirecTV is screwing the consumer right now. Hardcore. I'm only fighting them and not switching because it was such a concession for me to put this blasted dish on my house and have someone drill holes in my nice hardwood floors. So I'll fight for quality until I receive it or until I die. haha. We are encouraging everyone to file an online complaint with the BBB and FTC if you are noticing this same problem which apparently started around November from what I understand from previous subscribers.

fx
Unregistered guest
Larry I do agree that Dish is better than DTV. I have no problem with your enthusisatic support of their product but you must admit you are not an objective observer. You have a financial interest, I have none, just time on my hands and am attempting to offer the "other side of the story."

You wrote:

"... but if we are going to talk about price increase what about the 70% increase your cable bill is going to increase this year???"

My cable company just added two additional HD channels (UHD and MTVHD) and at the same time lowered my bill by $7 per month (A 5% decrease). There will not be any 70% rate increases, that is just Sat company propaganda. I now have 15 HD channels. My HD programming is uncompressed full bandwidth, you can't say that for the Sat companies. How many HD channels can I expect to get from Dish or Direct?

xvxvxvx

Unregistered guest
just my question if anyone knows it i would appreciate input ,but i have digital cable through cox communications i just bought a 61 inch lcd projection tv and my digital cable is bad at best its ghosting and almost looks like you can see the pixels even on all the 15 hd channels.cox tells me its the box wich is the motorolla dual tuner hd dvr box.but when i just hook up straight to the tv its still like that they tell me channels over 100 are digital there is 999 channels and there all like that ive had 8 service "experts" out at my house and a feild service tech has been here monday some "expert" manager is comming out they have swiched me out 5 different boxes and they all do it it.any info before i talk to him would be great so i can tell him and maby he can tell me the truth i have also heard of this with dish and dtv i would be happy to switch to dish but ive heard of this with them

peloton
Unregistered guest
Larry,
Are any of the dish network products utilizing mpeg4? I cannot find anything saying they do on the website.

Bronze Member

fx and peloton,
Well to answer the question, no DishNet does not have any MPEG4 compressed yet, come Feb1st there will be also, come Feb1st a nation wide increase will occur. You may not believe me truthfully that doesnt hurt my feelings at all.
Cable is expecting 13%
DirecTV 8%
DishNet 6%
You may think I am trying to push toward DishNet because I work for them, but hey someone has to be the best right also locals in some areas are going to be broadcasted in HiDef automatically, If not you can purchase a professional grade antenna from the installer that will connect directly to the dish in this case your locals will be broadcasted in HiDef. To answer the question about HD channels come Feb1st there are no more VOOM. all the HiDef Channels are broadcasted through on service, and since we are moving to MPEG4 instead of the current MPEG2, more HD channels will keep popping up as the year comes along.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
plaine,
One of your problems(if this applies). Are you using the RCA cables that came with the HiDef reciever if so you can go to radio shack or circuit city and get Some, either component or HDMI cable the component cable may be about $25-$35, I would suggest HDMI it will cost about $135, but whats money??? You probably paid $3500 for your TV you might as well pay a little extra to get better service, Am I right???

fx
Unregistered guest
I might add one more note about Dish and the upcoming MPEG4 conversion due Feb 1st. Larry is correct that the former VOOm channels will now become a portion of the HD package. True you will need an MPEG4 capable receiver to receive them as well, this means new equipment for many people. But they will not be using MPEG4 processing, only setting a flag that requires your receiver to have MPEG4 capability while still broadcasting the programming in MPEG2 format. This does not free up any bandwidth space at all, it just causes many people to purchase new equipment or renew their service with an extension without any change in programming quality.

I doubt Larry is being told this so I have no reason to blame him at all. I just feel the average buyer should be aware of the current facts. They do intend to change to MPEG4 in the future but they are charging you additional money beginning Wednesday.

xvxvxvx

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
sarting Feb. 1st one could get close to 40 channels in HD not including the movie channels, the closest competitor has 15 now if what FX says is true about additional channels and now with the MPEG4 setup new channels will be added all the time. It's not just about price and anyone who says that it is, is just BULLSH**ING themselves and you. It is about quality service and getting what you pay for. In lamens terms
quality=service/price. Yes the new setup is moer compressed. DUH it is like comparing WAV format to MPEG3 there is no comparison you remember when you used to download music in WAV format it sounded like S**T. Now the picture will look twice as good, the sound will be twice as crisp, and there is no limit to the number of channels that can be broadcasted through the DISH. And you are not sharing your feed with anyone else in you neighborhood, the feed is directly to your home, so there will be a constant, and great quality picture at all times. I think it is still funny that cable companies are still broadcasting commercials which say get all your locals, you can't do that with a DISH, or parental control, you can't do that with a DISH. But on the contrare, Satellite services have had locals since 2001, after the cable companies could no longer keep the courts from granting locals to us(satellite service providers) and the parental control on the DISH is phenomonal you can have the DISH block by rating, channel, you can even block PPV channels. + you can have it locked with a password so only you can unlock it. IDK thats kind of irrelevent and sad how much cable providers will put down SAT. TV. But they have to do something because they are losing business, you have to admit though that is really sad, putting others down to make yourself look better, hmm, They might be scared but there is a good reason to be this DISHNET promo starting Feb1st KICKS A**!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Kevin I have heard it with the DirecTV set up, but the Dish does look great and is only going to look better. But I still believe the problem may be the wires you are using. There may not be a HDMI cable on the back of that cable box that you have though you definately need to check that out before you go buy the cable. There may be, I know that with DishNet there is an HDMI and a component port in the back of the reciever. Also anyone who has DishNet come Feb1st you will have to upgrade equipment to a 411(HD reciever) which has the MPEG4 capability. But don't get mad everyone has to pay this fee, even new customers there is no such thing as free HD recievers anymore. Hopefully my posts helped if not there may be something I don't know about cable. It seems that fx could probably help he is the cable expert, I know DishNet and DirecTV. That was not personally attacking you fx, you have some really good points, that was a compliment, don'y get bent out of shape, but yeah if thats not the case I owuld ask fx.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
fx,
I'm not sure where you got that information about the MPEG2 staying with DishNet, If the channels were going to be broadcasted in MPEG2 format there would be a way to recieve those channels with the equipment that they already have, these are brand new recievers and there are many new channels coming, DishNet is very much so moving to MPEG4, I'm not sure where you got the info. you have but it is very much false. These recievers are brand new with the new hardware needed to provide the customers with MPEG4 quality and picture and sound. If you would share with me the information you have and where this information has been given to you from. That would be helpful, Again I will check into this so-called lie about the MPEG4, but I can guarntee you that this is no hoaxe, there are many changes coming up with DishNet in the very near future, anyone with doubts your loss you can stand still while the rest of the world leaves you behind.

JPonsler
Unregistered guest
fx,
you are a flaming qu**r. Anyone can throw around big words and act like they know what there talking about. Why don't you do something productive like walk in to on coming traffic.
Well all that ends well ends ok, so I'll end this sh** with a fu** and a have a nice day!

Username: Jbcpgh

Ok. I have DTV and it has been great for the most part. But... (remember everthing before "but" is bullsh*t)... I just purchased a Plasma TV and figured I would get into the HD world. Called DTV and had them turn it on. Everything was great for about 1 minute. Then the pixalization started. WTF. Yes I am a like a kid with my new toy and I want it to work. However, after messing around with it for a couple hours I found that the signal for the HD comes off of a sat. that I only get about 40% signal on. Called them and they said that this could be the problem but it is going to cost me $70 to have someone come out. I can mess with the dish to possibly get a better signal but I was pis*ed and so I looked into going all cable. Phone, internet, and TV. As a matter of fact for the first year it will save me almost $150 a month. BUT (remember the "but") I watch a lot of history, discovery, Bio, etc. and I want those to be of the highest quality. +/- $100 I really don't care about but I just don't want a shi**y picture. A friend told be that he had DTV and Cable side by side and Cable can not compete. I understand the DTV is first generation signal so this kind of makes sense to me. Can anyone shed any light on this issue. I have read opinions and I can find things to support cable and DTV.

Just thought I would throw it out there. BTW.. go steelers... :-)

kevin hansen
Unregistered guest
thx but im using hdmi is it possiable to have over comperssed sd channels with cable ive heard it is because all signal comes from a "loop" but i dont know for sure

fx
Unregistered guest
At CES earlier this month the initial Dish presentation of their MPEG4 compression stream was full of motion artifacts and macroblocking. I was there and saw it firsthand. It was then explained that currently they have only four MPEG4 encoders (enough for 4 HD channels) and they were not satisfied with the decoding algorithms (neither was I).

Upon further questioning a discussion revealed the Feb 1st switchover date and the MPEG4 bit to be imbedded in the header while still transmitting data in the MPEG2 format. This will have the effect I have described in previous posts. As I have said before they fully intend to transmit using the MPEG4 compression technique, just not magically on Feb 1st, 2006.

If you have the equipment to capture the data stream and measure the bitrate, format and compression method (As I do) then on Feb 1st just test it and see for yourself.

xvxvxvx

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
John,
As you have probably seen through many other posts from this forum, DIRECTV is, to put it mildly !FU*KIN' UP! which I am going to guess is the problem with plaine as well, I think the only thing you can do is either pray for a miracle, switch provider, or keep paying for the SH*T you have now........You are the only one who can change that. But DIRECTV is screwing themselves in the A*S. And all of the other providers are reaping the benefits.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
plaine,
yeah what was I thinking that couldn't have been the problem, becuase that would have been way too simple. You know what I'm saying(that was a joke). I'm not sure how big the neoghborhood is in your area, but that may have something to do with the picture quality. Anyone who has had the first house in a neighborhood knows what I'm talking about, the pic. will look great at the beginning, but then when more people move in, the feed is distributed evenly to every home. There are truly hundreds of things that could be wrong, I'm no pro. like the ones you have had come to your home. So I probably couldn't tell you what the problem is for sure. That sux that you paid that much for your tv and you have to watch shi*ty service through it though.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
fx,
what you are saying truly does make sense, I mean come on our VP of sales comes down to the office and tells us a bunch of SH*T about the new promo and how it is sooooo great. Which it isn't that badd of a promo, now that I kno the facts. Before I was excited as he**, because HD is a pretty big thing for me. I mean honestly we have a 65" and a 54" both HD, and DishNet HD beats the living SHI* out if SD. Those are some very interesting comments though, I think I'm going to ask my VP about that next time he makes it to the office, that should be an interesting discussion. Oh well, I just think that it is pretty funny that I'm 17, junior in High School, making more than the teachers that teach me U.S. History, English, BioII, P.E.(duh). Hel* I'm making more than my grandma, isn't that kinda strange??? Oh well i like to laugh about that, thanks for the info though.

larry

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
fx,
I guess my VP did his job he sold the product, you know you can't sell the product if it isn't something you think is grreat. I do think DishNet is awesome which is probably the reason I do so well. Oh well, you lose some and you lose some.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
I was reading some posts about burn-ins on the HD screens, I believe it is with rear projections. Well My father always leave the TV on even when he is gone, because we live out in the middle of no where, and we have already been broken into once before, well he leaves the TV on CMT(yeah my dad is a cordic*)he loves his country music, thank god I work 6days a week 7 hours a day, or I would probably be ready to kill him. But anyways now when ever we whatch a dvd in standard format you can see a faint CMT emblem on the bottom right hand corner of the TV, and he gets mad when I play the XBOX on it, well when you have a 65", it isn't surprising to know that someone is going to want to play some halo2. I'm a big gaming junkie, when I get the chance which is pretty much never. I have two of each XBOX and PS2, and hopefully come mid feb. I'll add a couple XBOX 360's to my collectgion. I still have NES and even an old A** atari, super nintendo, sega, dreamcast, etc. the only console I do not have is a gamecube they don't attract me any. But yeah the CMT is anoying because it is an eye cather. well its been real
larry

Anonymous

Tired of them both?

Cable TV Descramblers!!!
http://www.5starsale-cable-descrambler.com
http://www.5star-cable-descrambler.com

w
o
w

o
n

s
a
l
e

N
o
w
!
!
Tired of them both?

Cable TV Descramblers!!!
http://www.5starsale-cable-descrambler.com
http://www.5star-cable-descrambler.com

THX
Unregistered guest
haha those are a thing of the past no cable company puts any channel worth a f**K on channels less than 125 welcome to the 21st century

THX
Unregistered guest
haha those are a thing of the past no cable company puts any channel worth a f**K on channels less than 125 welcome to the 21st century

THX
Unregistered guest
sorry to say but your all not getting it cable/dtv/dish none of them can(will spend money)to keep up with what t.v.s of today are comming out with if you think it looks good to you you are blind why do you think the fcc is forcing them to brodcast with wider bandwith and all hd channels try this buy a hdmi upconverting dvd player watch a movie and then watch your brodcast and you will see best thing is to file complaint with the fcc and your public officals and put more pressure on them to do what they should have done 5 years ago

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
ok???THX

Those were pretty much the most worthless posts ever. You are going to diss every type of tv service provider, hmmmm. That makes sense. Who do you do business with??? I bet one of the reasons cable has to go to digital is because satellite providers are making impossible to keep up if they don't. Just like before 2001 when Satellite couldn't get local channels, then come 2001 we could. It's the ,market DIPSH*T get over it!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
John,
If you are interested in getting DishNet, we have 24HD channels, not including movie channels, If you would be willing to make the trade. The HD recievers are $49.99 now, unless you want the 611(HD/DVR) that is $299.99, +the $49.99 activation fee, which gets credited back to you, the whole set up is different now though so the previous posts don't apply anymore.

fx
Unregistered guest
Some pretty good followup news for Dish customers with the new MPEG4 receivers.

As I wrote above Dish is now sending MPEG2 compressed programming with an MPEG4 header. But they have increased the bitrate and bandwidth for several of the channels I measured. For instance the average bitrate of one HD channel before Feb 1st was around 10 MEG now it is averaging 14 MEG, much better quality with less artifacting. If they keep the bandwidth this high when they actually begin to use the MPEG4 compression technique it should result in a great HD picture.

Well done DISH!

xvxvxvx

THX
Unregistered guest
um im not in "business" with any of them i just want what we all want better picture quality for the 70+dollars we spend for service these days dish net is starting to step up only because they have the fewest subscribers simple math huh.also buying hd dvr from them is a joke buy it from a distrubitor its like buying cell phones with out the 2 year contract its jacked up prices

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
THX,
Yeah who would have thought that maybe if you want to record in HD and run a seperate SD TV with DVR. That you may have to pay some $. You know what? If you have an HD TV what the H*LL is $299? I don't understand? I'm a junior in HighSchool and I can afford that. The reason we have the least subscribers is because we are the youngest company of all of the competitors, you might want to throw that into the eqution "EINSTINE" And If you are looking for picture quality right now you have to go with satellite 100% digital picture, and awesome HD. Yeah cable will be digital soon, right? But do you know how much the price is going to go up when they have to install cable boxes in everyone home? That will be ridiculous. So DishNet has 24 HD channels not including movie channels! What, the clostest competitor has 15 now? Is that right FX? Yeah so THX, I guess you can just SUCK IT!!!
It's been real
dish_rep

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
fx,
Thanks for the follow up, That really helps my case and makes me feel a lot better about telling people about the new equipment.
Thanks again
dish_rep

THX
Unregistered guest
? what you just said makes absolutly no scence except that you are 12 years old i have a motorola 160 gig hd dvr dual tuner wich last time i checked is light years ahead of the 299 box dish net,im not talking about recording im talking about straight feed it is not as good as it should be cable 240 lines dish 400 lines just wont cut it like i said a hdmi upconverting dvd player will play dvds light years ahead of cable dish,jacka** and fewest sucribers means nothing if the product is better people will buy it or maby they teach that in the 10 grade so ull learn that next year

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
hmmm, let's compare apples to oranges. I'm watching a G*Y PO*N DVD(that's you[THX]) IN HD ERRRRR. Here's me hmmm...I don't know what I want to watch in HD oh well I'll record this show and watch another one. You are comparing DVD players to TV service?!? are you a FU**ING RETARD??? By the way I'm 17 and I bring home about $800/week. YEP I WAS RIGHT YOU ARE A DOUCHE BAG!

THX
Unregistered guest
well im 30 and a u.s.c college grad and a licenced THX insatller i make about 140k, a little more than 800 a week also i dont have to advertise on an internet forum the point is u jack a@# is now listen carefully dish cable dtv isnt giving you the best quality picture you should get they have known about this for many years they just hoped that tvs would not move this fast in quality i install audio in all amc theaters and let me tell you there top line equipment would not be tolarted by there coustmers as cable customers do maby instead of pimping your product why dont you do us all a favor and get it better???? besides it seems fx knows twice as much as you and you "bring home 800" not that anyone believes that but maby you should give some of it to fx cause you dont know shi*.

doplhinfan
Unregistered guest
ok well back to the subject you all make very good points,but maby we should take a little from every one to get one good post in my experience i have a home theater and i know exactily what kevin is talking about the picture is not as good as satellite right now but what they have going for them is a 9 meg d.l. speed internet dsl doesnt even come close to that andif your into gaming you know speed rules,but dish is no godsend either i know you say your only 17 dish rep but unless you had both dish and cable(wich you may have i dont know)you dont know for sure just what your told i have both dish net and cable ,i have dish only because i can get all payperview for free via card and cable mostly for the internet, i can also bring up what no one talkes about here about dish, i live in south florida and EVERY day i loose signal and signal quality due to rain and storms cable no problem there so if that will be an issue to you steer clear of dtv,dish if i didnt get free ppv i would not have it as far as picture i have a sony xrb and the picture is great with both(maby better with dish but like i said looses signal a lot!!!!)but thx you make a great!!!!point they all should have more hd channels i know dish has like 25 but lets be serious 20 of them you couldnt pay me to watch old movies and stupid shows the dvd hdmi upconverting is AWESOME and yes i agree they all should have done more hd years ago when the fcc is giving them a deadline to be all hd there is a reason people dont pay 3-10 thousand dollars for sd channels so kudoes for them stepping in the technoligaly has been there they just need to spend money and stop making people but these packages of channels when there is maby 20 thay will actually watch(thank god for the al-carte thats comming)i am just a customer but its pretty sad when the govt. has to step in and that goes for them all!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
dolphinfan,
you make a good point there should be a lot more channels altogether w/ less money invloved. As you probably already know I live in Indiana, I've been to florida, it's beautiful there no doubt but it does have some pretty wicked storms. That is one thing that cable does have over the satellite providers, where did you get the card from, that allows you to watch fred ppv?
Thanks
dish_rep

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
THX,
O.K. 30 year old THX I guess I'll be the bigger man and end this stupid a** argument how does that sound??Becuase truthfully I dont care what you believe. I'm glad you make a killing doing whatever it is you do with your college degree, WOW! But I'm a junior in highscool making more than my teachers, By the way this is a HD forum not some kind of ga* chat room. So why don't we talk about some HD. Because one thing I've learned over the years is don't argue with an idiot because ppl cant tell the difference.

dolphinfan
Unregistered guest
my neighbor makes them he has to get me one 1 like every 2 weeks but he makes them not really sure how i never asked i just know its awesone for me cause i like wwe,boxing and stuff like that that cost like 30 bucks a pop,but he must know what hes doing cause he taught me how to copy dvd uncompressed and thankx to netflix ive got like over 300 dvds. also did anyone respond to what kevinhansen wrote a few posts ago i have had that same prob its like you can see the pixels or something on big tvs even on hd (with cable anyway)and my friend says the same thing ,but i cant get an answer from the cable guys?

Username: Kevin_of_austin

I've been a DTV fan for about 10 years. I love that you can buy receivers from whatever manufacturer you want based on who's channel guide you prefer, price, or other factors.

My HD receiver is starting to go out, however, and I'm finding that if I want to keep with the latest technology (5 lnb), I HAVE to go with a DirectTV brand reciever now. Moreover, DTV has gotten expensive. I orignally went from cable to satellite becuase it was much cheaper. I could never go back to cable having seen Time Warner Cable's picture quality (SD anyway, HD is OK).

So, now I have to look at Dish Network! They are significantly cheaper than DTV and offer alot more HD channels! You can't "buy" the equipment, but with all the fees DTV charges for letting me use my own equiptment, I am going to check it out. They have a 30 day guaranee policy and I'll post another message letting you know what I think.

Now lets talk Digital VCRs... oh, wait, you have to pay a subscription fee for that too!... It must be a DVR... I'll post another thread about that.

Username: Kevin_of_austin

DTV vs. Dish Network followup -

I called DTV to tell them I was cancelling and they transferred me to a group which handles cancellations. They were SOOOOO nice.

They're giving me (leasing) a HR20 reciever and installing a one of the new 5 LNB dishes for me all for free (which will allow me to pick up the locals in HD being offered in the Fall). They are also giving me 3 months of the HD package programming for free and $5 off my base package price for 6 months.

Even without these discounts, the Dish monthly recurring price, as it turns out, is virually identical to DTV's. While DisnNet offers more HD programming, the channels offered aren't really the ones I use... I use the locals, ESPNHD, TNTHD, that's mostly it. I asked if DisnNet could give me an estimate of when HD Locals would be added in Austin, but the said it was not in the plans for this year anyway.

They sold me... guess I won't get to experience the Dish Network guide, except at Radio Shack.

Does anyone have both DTV and DishNetwork currently? I'd be curious about how they like the channel guides, SD resolution, etc.

Username: Fso001

Atlanta, GA

I don't have DishNet but I do have DTV. They gave me the same pitch when I was furious with the installer they sent out to install the H20. After calming down I discovered a few things about what DTV is doing.

1. Eventually the old style Tivo's wont be able to record anything since they can't record MPEG4 programming. When everything gets moved to the new format you will need the new dvr's which are in testing now.

2. I told them that I was disappointed that the new H20 did not have a DVI output. This makes another cable I have to buy and another expensive cable for the box of cables in my basement. I do not know whether the new dvr will have DVI output or not, neither did the rep.

3. We decided not to change my receiver in the den until the new dvr comes available and then they will replace my RCA MPEG2 receiver and old Tivo with the new dvr which should be available in September 2006. There would be no charge to do this and that the new equipment will be a lease situation so if they change technology again, they just replace the unit, no hassles.

Hope this helps

Username: Dishfan1

DISH Network is by far your best option for HD programming. They offer the most HD channels, many are even exclusive to DISH Network. Most cable channels are still analog, and even DirecTv doesn't compare.

Username: Dishtechguy

VA

I'd have to agree with Erika as far as programming. We now have 29 channels (not including locals in top 20 markets at the moment), with the late addition of HGTV-HD, NFL NetworkHD (exclusive to Dish), and StarzHD and its only going to get better. The 622 HD DVR is now only $199, down from $299.

Username: Pgordon10

Hey guys, nice posts, useful info here. Not to turn this into a "Which cable company sucks the worst rant", but my only option is Charter Communications and they are the worst. Last in costumer service...Worst "bundle" etc...see www.askbigfoot.com I mean the Better Buisness Bureau even has a chapter on them. My question is which is better, Dish Network or Directv? Your input would be very helpful. Thanks.

Username: Gameshark

there is one thing, i havent seen in an "cable vs. satellite" arguments... and that's that cable offers ON DEMAND!!! on demand has to be the 1 thing that destroys satellite... to my knowledge satelitte does not offer this, but, i have not looked into satelitte much, considering i'm VERY happy with my cable tv.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3864
Satellite offers on demand too and has for awhile now. Obviously you've never looked at satellite.

Username: Jongbon_rhee

I've had Verizon Fios and DirecTV, and in my area, the picture quality was better with Verizon Fios.

Username: Joshferguson

Miami, Florida »‡ ¨

What is better roger HD or starchoice HD, is there more lines of resoluton on satilite

Username: Vikrampaul93

I have Direct TV and a OTA and I'm very happy! I'm 30 miles from town, and with a Winegard Square shooter antenna I pick up all the channels very well OTA. (93 to 100%)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us