Do CRTS have "native resolutions"?

Troy Heagy
Unregistered guest
Given that my computer's CRT can display all kinds of resolutions from 320x200 upto 1600x1200, I always though the answer was "no". A CRT can display anything you throw at it, since it's an analog display.

But recently I read an article here saying that CRTs *do* have native resolutions.

I'm confused.

Do CRTs have "native resolutions" like LCDs and Plasmas? Why? How so?

troy

fx
Unregistered guest
Yes, because the extra expense in digital circuitry required to allow additional resolutions other than 1080i is cost prohibitive. In the 90's there was at least one Sony model and one other manufacturer that had a CRT display which accepted and displayed 480i,480p,720p and 1080i. They are no longer manufactured.

This is why I answered as I did in the other recent thread regarding this very subject. Then naturally someone interjected that their computer monitor displayed various resolutions and it was to much work to bother arguing with them.

xvxvxvx

Troy Heagy
Unregistered guest
So it's not the CRT that is limited, but the internal circuit boards. They *could* and have made a CRT with multiple resolutions.

Is there any disadvantage to viewing 480 or 720 scaled to 1080?

Also while I have your attention, are there any CRTs/LCDs that convert 1080i to 1080p?

troy

fx
Unregistered guest
Troy,

Think about your question. If all TV CRT displays present a 1080i image how many does that leave that will display a 1080p image? Most LCD displays are either 720 or 768 or something close so LCD will not convert to 1080p. The exception is the new Qualia 006 by Sony for only $13,000.00.

Now TI has a new DLP chip just being placed into consumer devices that simulates 1080p by dithering the internal mirrors. It is called 1080p but this is a subject of much discussion.

As for your other question anytime you scale data you add scaling artifacts. Whether or not they are visible to you or even bother you if they are visible is personal preference.

xvxvxvx

Troy Heagy
Unregistered guest
First off, there's no such thing as a dumb question, so I don't appreciate your arrogant "Troy's an idiot" attitude. The first step to gaining knowledge, is admitting you do not know, and asking questions. You shouldn't be hitting me with a verbal bat, just because I asked a question!

SECOND, I don't think your statement "all CRTs display 1080i" is an accurate statement. I'm sure if I looked hard enough, I'd find at least one high-end/high-priced CRT that includes a video buffer for converting 1080i to 1080p.

Be careful with "all" statements. There's always an exception, that will come back and bite you.

troy

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 561
Well Troy, there is such a thing as a dumb question. Example: You're standing in a rain storm and you ask the guy next to you is it raining. Or you buy a new television and log onto the forum to ask how to turn it on. Pretty dumb don't you think?

Troy Heagy
Unregistered guest
I'd rather hang out with the person asking "dumb" questions, than hang out with a rude person (like yourself).

troy

fx
Unregistered guest
Troy you must be a liberal since you appear to be overly sensitive. I hope your itty bitty feelings are not permanently damaged.

There is such a thing as a dumb question, your first grade teacher was lying to you when she told you otherwise. Oh yeah, there is no Easter Bunny either.

You compounded your idiocy with this:
"SECOND, I don't think your statement "all CRTs display 1080i" is an accurate statement. I'm sure if I looked hard enough, I'd find at least one high-end/high-priced CRT that includes a video buffer for converting 1080i to 1080p. "

Then if you are so smart go out and find one there buddy and quit asking stupid questions here. Suppose one does inded exist that costs $22,000.00, are you going to buy it? Of course not you disabled freak. So why do you care? Are you related to Vin?

"Be careful with "all" statements. There's always an exception, that will come back and bite you. "

All your future and past questions are idiotic. You gonna bite me Troy? No exception to that one Troy. There are in fact absolutes and this is one of them. I have another absolute for you: I'll never bother helping you gain information again.

Buy a book and do your own research from now on you ungrateful little twit.

xvxvxvx

Troy Heagy
Unregistered guest
"Troy you must be a liberal since you appear to be overly sensitive."

Now your insulting the liberals. Your lack of manners know no bounds.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us