Which DLP TV to buy....

Nugzy
Unregistered guest
I want to buy a DLP TV, but cant figure out which one to get. I prefer a 50" as it is perfect for my living room. MY budget is $2300. Ive been looking at the model that WalMart sells, the RCA HD50LPW52. It is $1,986.00. I cant find that much info on the TV, but from what I have seen RCA isnt the best choice because of the expensive replacement bulb. It says it has a "Cable-Card Slot" which sounds cool but I have no idea what that is. Would anyone recommend this TV? Im also looking at a TV from Sams Club, the Panasonic PT-50DL54. I dont have much info on that TV, but I know Sams Club usually sells OLD TV's. Would anyone recommend either of these TV's? If not, which would you recommend that are between $2000-$2300? Can anyone shed some light on the cable card? Any held is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Nugzy
Unregistered guest
Also, what is the deal with Bulb life? Is it really 8,000 hours? I should mention that I like to play some video games and watch alot of DVD's. I also would like to hook my PC to the TV. Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

Hey Nugzy
Unregistered guest
No RCA's! No Pan...ic's! You will be buying trouble!

On your budget, The Samsung HLP5063W with the Phillips lamp that will yield 8k hours is an excellent choice. 1-800-SAMSUNG factory service is top notch should you require it. It's the best HD display for the dollar today. Mine's trouble-free for almost two years now. Don't pay too much!

[link removed]

neha
Unregistered guest
Panasonic model was rated #2 by Consumer Reports March 2005 issue.

Samsung HLP5085W was #1.

HD Fanatic
Unregistered guest
If you want a reliable TV, I wouldn't base too much of you buying decision on Consumer Reports. I have the same issue, and the article even states that the sets were too new for any reliability rankings. This forum has lots of good info if your willing to spend a couple hours of reading. Another good forum is the AVS site: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=63

You will learn more from these forums than you will from a magazine article...

make a smart choice
Unregistered guest
Samsung is also #1 in customer complains. To find out the most reliable brand, call your local repair center. They will also tell you that Samsung uses cheap parts to save money. They basically build junk. If you want the Hyundai Excel of Televisions, go buy the Sammy DLP. You gain a great new friend...the local repairman.

Klaus
Unregistered guest
Samsung appears to be following the Hyundai example and is making a big effort to increase quality. If you read the site issues, they have all been addressed in Samsung warranty claims. The real problems seem to be where the issues were poorly handled by inept local service personnel. You will notice that the instances of issues with new Samsung sets are dropping way off in these posts. Most of the "problems" wih the Samsung DLPs are now with older models, people unwilling to read manuals, or sets damaged in transit. I would suggest in your price point to get a Samsung 5063 ($2249 right now at CC) and the extended warranty. If a warranty issue listed above occurs have it fixed by Samsung, don't return the set. You will be pleased with the PQ .

Nugzy
Unregistered guest
What does everyone think about the Toshiba 52HM84? I went to Circuit City and looked at the Samsung 5063 but it was hard for me to get an idea of what the set looks like cause Circuit City has a poor satellite feed and all the TV's look like crap. I went to Sears and looked at the Toshiba 52HM84 and I was very impressed with the picture. The only thing I dont like about the Toshiba is that they dont have enough inputs.

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 727
Klaus-

You seem to be knowledgable about DLP. Do you own a DLP? If so, do you ever watch TV/play games for extended periods of time? My one friend with a DLP says he experiences headaches/eye fatigue if he watches for extended periods. He did not have that problem with the Sony LCD he had prior. He loves his Sammy DLP and enjoys the picture much more than the Sony, but he can not waste away the day playing games and watching DVD like before. I've heard a few people complain of this, but it never seems to be from an actual owner of a DLP.

What is you opinion on this subject?

Klaus
Unregistered guest
Mr. Lynch:
I have the 467w Samsung since November. I do not game but I found that until I "trained my brain"
to not see the rainbow effect I would get a slight headache after 3-4 hours of TV viewing. After about 3 weeks all was well. I very seldom see the rainbows , nor does my wife who I taught to see them. They were a real nuisance at first but mostly now I see them with credits (white on black) or flashes of light in dark scenes. I found that having a couple of nightlites behind the set at night helps immensely.

RichMini
Unregistered guest
Help!
I am looking to upgrade my technology. I currently own a Pioneer 50" rear project. At the time it was great. That was ten years ago. Now I am puzzeled as to what to buy...DLP,LCD and which brand. We do not game much and like to watch DVD's.
I am very concerned about this "rainbow" effect and headachs others have mentioned.
My budget is ~$3500.
Any suggestions??

HD Fanatic
Unregistered guest
If the rainbow effect is something that bothers you, then I would highly recommend the 3-chip sets, which include the LCD rear projection and the JVC LCoS (D-iLA). The 3-chip sets have superior color saturation and accuracy over the single chip DLP. The main disadvantage of the LCD and LCoS is the black levels and the contrast are not quite as good. For most people, they will never know the difference.

However, if you do not see the rainbows on DLP's, there are some good sets out there. Most people do not see them. Personally, I didn't see them at first until my eyes became trained to pick them out on certains scenes.

The downside that all of them share is that the bulbs will have to be changed periodically, unlike your old Pioneer.

I would give the new 61" JVC (HD-61z886) a serious look.

HD Franatic
Unregistered guest
I would go with the lcd projection-no moving parts or rainbows

Anonymous

Klaus what is this rainbow effect you talk about. I have a 5674 and don't see any thing unusual. When I first got my TV I did notice with the factory settings colors would bleed from one object to another such as someone wearing a yellow shirt the yellow would bleed over into the persons neck. But after toneing down the color settings everthing looks beautiful and normal. Maybe I would be better off not asking but let me know what you are seeing. Thanks

Username: Klaus

Holiday, FL USA

Post Number: 4
Anonymous:
The rainbow effect is color stripes in RGB and is caused by the breakdown of the mixing of colors at areas of high contrast, ie dark room, bright window, black screen rolling white credits. Most people don't see them at all, some see them all the time initially, and some can be trained to see them. I see them if I wish to, I trained my wife to see them, but after using the set, you can train your mind not to see them. Keeping the room "mood lit" is a plus at night, and during the day rainbows are almost non-exitant, even if you are one of the few that can see them.

Anonymous

I agree why look at rainbows when you can look at screen burn.

Holiday, FL USA

Post Number: 7
Anonymous:
Don't forget pixel lag and screen door effect!

Username: Tellee20001

Post Number: 1
I am very new to this website and I read the messages regarding the DLP Tv's. I am about to purchase a Mitsubishi 52 inch DLP for 2499.97. It seems pretty expensive to me but the salesman keeps on saying "this tv is top of the line." I do not believe the salesman so can somebody please let me know if this is true and is the tv really worth the investment. I am starting to think about the Sony Wega 51 inch for 1599.97. Please somebody inform me. Thanks for your help.

Holiday, FL USA

Post Number: 8
telly:
That is not a bad price for the Mits. Is the sony that you mention an LCD projection or CRT projection? The Mits would give a better picture without having to mess with convergence issues if the sony is crt. Check to see if you can see the rainbow effect on the Mits DLP. Make sure that you can return the set if you don't like it after a reasonable time.

Samsung6167DLP
Unregistered guest
I'm about to buy the Samsung HLR-6167 61" DLP from Best Buy for $3,200 because it is the best combination of screen size and brightness without burn-in. Any other issues?

hairyback
Unregistered guest
I'm looking to buy a Samsung HLP5685w for 3K is this a quality unit and what are if better options

Bronze Member

Holiday, FL USA

Post Number: 11
The new unit is HLR5687 and it should be an excellent set. The 5685 had very few problems and a great picture. The 5687 adds HD OTA tuner and cable card slot. These are of questionable value for most customers, since most people have Satellite or cable. If you have an old antenna you can probably get some HD stations locally and they may be better quality than cable due to less digital compression, and sat does no locals in HD yet that I know of. The cable card slot is the most useless device since it allows one way communication. This means that all the "perks" of cable (on demand, pay per view, guide , etc) will not function with the cable card.

Bronze Member
Username: Madmax389

Post Number: 16
You know, this would be a great forum if it weren't for all the noisy chidren shouting on the playground. (/INGORE)

I grappled with the LCD/DLP debate and decided on Samsung 5674 DLP which does not have the ATSC tuner or cablecard slot. It has the slimmest bezel of ANY set I researched and more inputs than most (HMDI, DVI and PC as well as optical and digital sound and of, course S-video and component inputs). The 56" set fits in a 50" wide space.

I just received it yesterday and have not noticed ANY screendoor effect or noisy color wheels or any of the negative aspects that I read about before making my decision. I placed the order through Onecall, asked them to lower the price by $600, which they did, and received the TV in pefect condition 10 days later (Washington State --> Florida). I did NOT purchase an Extended Warranty. My Amex card adds another year to the manufacturer's warranty, but I still have the option of getting a 3 or 5 year for the next 30 days.

The HD picture through Bright House is outstanding and the SD picture is much better that I thought it would be. I think the debate over DLP vs LCD is overblown. Either technology will work well, and both require lamp replacements which all cost about the same. Make your decision on price, service, features, geometry and vendor confidence.

MadMax

Bronze Member

Holiday, FL USA

Post Number: 14
I agree with Mad MAX.There are especially of late some real spammers on board. LCD/DLP is just another lowbrow Ford/Chevy arguement. I had a special requirement to fit in an entertainment center so the Samsung HLP4674 was the largest screen that would fit. I probably would have gone with Sony LCD RP if they offered anything comparable, but to my delight the Sammy has been a great set so far. I have found that you really need the 3 different picture modes to get the best out of Analog, digital/dvd, and HD again with Brighthouse cable for provider. I find that Dynamic with a back off on the color intensity works great for most analog cable, Standard with a backoff on color works great for HD, and Cinema ( with a few tweaks) works well for DVD/Digital SD.

Bronze Member
Username: Videobruce

Buffalo , NY

Post Number: 37
"Samsung is also #1 in customer complains."

They also sell the most DLP's............
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us