Comcast cable box purchase???

Bronze Member
Username: Mvyvoda

Post Number: 14
i've searched on this sweet forum about questions regarding hdtv cable boxes and comcast. which may or may not pertain to my problem/question. i live in northern california, and subscribe to very basic comcast cable tv. i have a crappy tv (27" Panasonic, CT-27G7SDF) which doesn't have audio out. i don't want to buy another tv (with audio out) and want a simple solution to play my tv through my receiver. my conclusion, (found here, thanks Paul!) was to get a cable box (note: i am looking into making one from scratch. better put my ee degree to use!).

well, to make an excruciatingly long story shortER, i want to know what are the restrictions i have with my comcast subscription with regards with which cable box i can get (probably from ebay???)? i see moto, panasonic, scientific atlanta, etc. on ebay, but am clueless on which i can purchase to avoid the dreaded $5/mos charge to rent one.

thanks a TON,
mark

Bronze Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 93
Anything you make would only be capable of providing analog channels, an easier solution would be to ask if you have a VCR that has audio output jacks on it, and is it cable ready? If you have one, you could connect the audio outputs from the VCR to your receiver and use the VCR to select channels instead of your TV.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
yeah, so a vcr was another solution provided by the aforementioned post. i could do that too. thanks! i want to explore all my options at this point though. also, building something just seems sexy!

off topic of what you posted cableguy, isn't there such a thing as catv (RG59 or RG6) to 3RCA (audio L/R + Video)? if there was such a device, would it be possible to hook my comcast cable
to that and then split it two ways, one going to my receiver and one going to my tv.

Bronze Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 97
stay away from RG59 cables, outdated and not worthy of use in todays cable market. There is no way to split directly off any coaxial cable and run it directly to your receiver for sound. Yes there are RF to RCA connectors that can be used in place of purchasing outright composite wires, but I don't believe that's what you're trying to accomplish. The VCR is really about the best way, short of making your own analog tuner STB with audio jacks for connecting to your receiver. Good luck with that project :c)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
alright, well, can someone outline why i would get a vcr over a cable box for this particular solution? seeing as it would be real hard to make something from scratch. i wanted to avoid these solutions because of the superflousness of the equipment... oh well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us