DVDs Widescreen but not 16 :9

Bronze Member
Username: Pugcharlie

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 31
I'm not sure if this should be in the DVD thread but here's my question:
I have a KDF50WE655. Some DVDs say "Widescreen" but display as a smaller picture within the screen. There is space on sides and top and bottom. I can zoom the picture but will then lose subtitles.

Other, newer DVDs fill the entire screen or have even wider aspect ratios and have some black bands on top and bottom, which I can understand as the DVD has been formatted to display as the original fim did.

Am I correct to assume that there are a lot of older DVDs out there that say "widescreen" but are widescreen or letter boxed only for conventional 4:3 TV screens? Playing them on 16:9 Widecreen HD TVs will not fill the screen properly. I am curious about this.
Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 208
sounds like your dvd player is setup to play on a 4:3 screen , go into menus and change this and make sure tv's zoom is off

Bronze Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 32
The DVD player IS set up for 16:9. New DVDs play correctly. Certain older ones that are labeled as "widescreen" do not correcly fill the screen put look like a smaller rectangle within a box.

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 211
not enhanced for wd tv's but dont know why it displays like that. maybe just the way the dvd displays it??

TV Psychic
Unregistered guest
Two possibilities:

1. The DVD's are really fullscreen not widescreen versions. If you bought them used this is quite common.

2. The DVD's have both versions of the film on them and you must select from the fullscreen or widescreen choices.

TV Psychic

Bronze Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 33
I am thinking that they are "faux widescreen." On a conventional 4:3 TV, they do look letter boxed but on a true widescreen TV they don't appear to fill the screen unless you use zoom mode. Those in quesiton are older releases and may have not been formatted for 16:9 HD widescreen.

Jimbo in Dallas
Unregistered guest
I just bought a DND that said "widescreen" and thati it was formated approx. 1.85:1. I see the same problem on my Sammy DLP. It is widescreen format but is a smaller picture within the screen, black bands all around, just like Steve mentioned in post 1.

I have double checked DVD player settings (Toshiba SD 5970) and TV settings. I can stretch to fit but I can't stand the fat images. Zooming will fill the screen top to bottom but leaves the black bands on the side.

Is it just this DVD?? It's a 1998 movie.

Jimbo in Dallas
Unregistered guest
I just bought a DVD that said "widescreen" and that it was formated approx. 1.85:1. I see the same problem on my Sammy DLP. It is widescreen format but is a smaller picture within the screen, black bands all around, just like Steve mentioned in post 1.

I have double checked DVD player settings (Toshiba SD 5970) and TV settings. I can stretch to fit but I can't stand the fat images. Zooming will fill the screen top to bottom but leaves the black bands on the side.

Is it just this DVD?? It's a 1998 movie.

Bronze Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 34
I believe I have the answer. Some older "widescreen" films are not anamorphic and thus not able to not fill a 16:9 HDTV. The DVDs need to say "anamorphic" or "enhanced for 16:9" TVs.

Ben Wallace
Unregistered guest
not all widescreen dvd's will fil the screen even on a 16:9 display.

It depends entirely on the original aspect ratio of the film.

you can learn alot from this site,

http://www.widescreen.org/aspect_ratios.shtml

Jimbo in Dallas
Unregistered guest
I think you are right, Steve.

Here's a good article on the anamorphic vs. non-anamorphic DVD issue.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/

Bronze Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 35
Great web-site, Ben. I, for one, welcome that band on top and bottom of certain DVDs as that means the integrity of the director's original vision (whether it be Cinemascope, Cinerama, or Super Panavision 70) is intact.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us