Copyright VHS to DVD questions

Anonymous

I have a Sony RDR-VX500 combo recorder and it will not allow me to convert my copyrighted VHS tapes to DVD. I guess my questions are these....

1. What about copyrighted VHS tapes makes the recorder recognize it as copyrighted?

and more to the point....

2. Is it possible for me to do what I am trying to do with the recorder that I have and if so how?

I have read some posts about digital video stabilizers, I would not be opposed to hooking another VCR up to my recorder if that is what it takes, if it can be done at all. Any solutions or ideas please include preferred models/manufacturers of any additional hardware and a description of what it/they would do.

Thank you in advance for any input, people here seem to be very knowledgeable and I thank you for any help you could offer.

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 965
There is copy protection embedded in the tape, the recorder knows this. You will have to use a seperate VCR and a stabilizer. For standard VCRs, Mitsubishi is the only decent one left, if they still are. I use one of these, it works fine for VHS.
http://mcm.newark.com/NewarkWebCommerce/mcm/en_US/endecaSearch/searchPage2.jsp?x =15&Ntt=digital+video+stabilizers&Nty=1&N=4&y=6&Ntk=gensearch
There is an adjustment inside to maximize effectiveness. They have a $25 minimum, if you don't spend that much they tack on $5. So if you can find something for $5 you want you may as well get it, either way you will have to spend $25 + shipping.

Anonymous

The other stabilizers that I saw were more expensive than this one but considering you use this one and it works fine I will take your word for it. But I did want to ask you about the adjustment to maximize effectiveness.. What is the adjustment exactly (like what does it adjust?) and is there a number or setting that is good or do I just have to mess with it until it works the best? Thank you for your help.

Silver Member

Post Number: 975
The adjustment is just a small rheostat you can adjust if it doesn't work on whatever you are using. No numbers or anything, you'll see it when you put the battery in it. It doesn't work very good for DVDs, but it works fine with VHS. I bought mine well over a decade ago from somewhere else, but it looks just like that one.

Anonymous

Sorry to drag this out but... Does it not work very well for DVD to DVD, I am putting the VHS onto a DVD. Again sorry, but that last comment kind of made me worry a little and I am making sure that I don't buy something that won't work for me. So this will work from VHS to DVD? Thanks again.

Silver Member

Post Number: 978
It will work for VHS to DVD. DVD to DVD, or DVD to VHS it's not very good on.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us