TV Modes

new guy
Unregistered guest
I need some help figuring my new TV out
I have a Samsung HLN5065wx I have read the manual which sucks. I can not figure out the viewing modes

Mode one

Normal which puts all pictures in 4:3 format even wide screen format movies??

Wide stretches all pictures to fit the screen making every one look 200 lb over weight. Why dose it do this to movies already in the 16:9 format?

Panorama doses the same as wide but only on the sides.

So if I am watching a 16:9 format movie what mode do I use, on my Sony if you selected Normal it would adjust the picture depending on the format this TV dose not seem to do that and I hate it when all the people look fat.
When I get my HD box in the next few days and a lot of the channels are broadcast in 16:9 are all the people going to look really fat like when I watch a 16:9 dvd?

I am very new to HDTV so any help would be grate

Reply to new guy
Unregistered guest
I thought you were buying a 5063!

Several factors need to be understood.
You don't have any HD widescreen programming at this time.
Everything on standard cable is old 4:3 format, which will have black sidebars.
The input connection you use can determine size functionality.
You should be using component (Pr, Pb, Y) cables for all devices. If your cable converter doesn't have them, it's junk. Cable sucks anyway. You should subscribe to a sat service. If you insist on crappy cable signal, at least make sure the new HD converter box has component connections.
Black sidebars are normal for all 4:3 broadcasts.
Most people don't try to stretch it.
The new HD converter box has a menu, which must be accessed and set to pass through or allow 720P and 1080I HD signal formats.

DVD Player:
Did you go into the DVD player's menu and set it to output in 16:9 format? If you didn't it will show any 16:9 movie in 4:3 format. Is it a progressive scan player. If so, set it to output 480P format. If not, it's junk. Go buy a DVD player with progressive scan (480P) for under $100.
Widescreen movies have several different aspect ratios. The 2:35.1 widescreen movies will have black bars on top and bottom, which are normal, but will fill the screen side to side without distorting. The sweet 1:85.1 widescreen movies will fill the screen perfectly if your DVD player is set properly.

Anonymous

I have a samsung 5674 and HD cable service. As for the 4:3 or the 16:9 formats when watching TV or movies my set switches automaticly to the signal being sent to the TV. And just to let you know,when you get HD service all of the HD broadcast are not 16:9.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us