New TV

New Guy
Unregistered guest
Hey guys,

I am looking into getting my first big screen Television and have narrows my choice down to

Sony Grand WEGA KF50WE620 50" Digital Widescreen LCD TV

Or

Samsung HLP5063
50" DLP (Digital Light Processing) TV

I have read lots of Pros and cons on both units can anyone here shed some light on the topic.

I like the fast that the Samsung's life expectancy is so good and that I can change the bulb and have a new TV. I will be sting around 8 to 10 feet away from the unit and I liked the picture on both units I did find the Samsung a little brighter.

I many watch DVDs and play Xbox, I will be ordering a HD box when I pick a unit.
Is there any difference I should no about? Also do they both use the same methods to stretches the screen I was not overly impressed with the way Samsungs dose it.
I am not sure which is better LCD or DLP?

Reply to FNG
Unregistered guest
Read...read....read!

That said, DLP!

new guy
Unregistered guest
i have read read read and as i said i see good and bad about both.

Are there any real stand out Differences

do tey both strech the channels the same to fit the TV?

Reply to new guy
Unregistered guest
Sounds like you don't have a grasp of the evolution of broadcasting and display technologies.

They both stretch the old NTSC 4:3 broadcasts in the same way.
That's not why we buy HD widescreen tv's.
I don't like to stretch old broadcasts. I prefer to watch them with black bars on the sides.
I bought my HD widescreen to watch true 720P and 1080I HD broadcasts that fill the screen naturely. I looked for brightness, vivid color, darkest black levels, fastest refresh rates, closest pixel spacing, excellent viewing angles, reasonable lamp prices and lasting durability. My choice was obviously DLP!

new guy
Unregistered guest
those are all grate points and i think have sealed my choice.

Thank you

Bronze Member
Username: Pugcharlie

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 28
I own the Sony KF50WE620 and I love the luminous color and sharpness that I have yet to see a DLP produce. The DLP produces deeper blacks and may not have the slow refresh rate of an LCD TV but the overall picture quality of my Sony is more pleasing to me. Sony's one fan makes considerably less noise than many of the DLP sets which have multiple fans. The Sony lamp at $199.00 seems to be one of the least expensive on the market. Since Sony warranties the lamp for 1 year and my Circuit City extended warranty covers the bulb for an addtional 3 years, it's a non-issue. I guess what it comes down to is look around, compare technologies, weigh the plusses and minuses of each and make your decision.

Bronze Member
Username: Pugcharlie

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 29
Opps, my model is KDF-50WE655

Klaus
Unregistered guest
new guy:
It is imperative that you check to see if you are sensitive to the DLP rainbow effect. The LCD Sony will not have this.

ogbuehi
Unregistered guest
You are going to have to go to a CC or BB and look at them both at the same time and decide at that time. Then you are going to have to read the threads about the quality of the tv you are going to buy. The dlp you selected looks a little better than the sony but has horror stories about breaking.

Bronze Member
Username: Mrmagoo

Hanover, MA USA

Post Number: 19
I went to many different stores and compared the different models. I narrowed down my choices to the Sony 55 KDF-55WF655 or the 61" JVC DILA - I bought the SONY (just delivered Saturday) and am very pleased with my purchase.
I think the "WF" models are newer than the "WE" models. I don't know that the difference is significant, but I would go with the newer model.
Love the new TV! Even analog channels look better than I expected they would.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us