Akai PT46DL10 ???

Username: Skerman

Post Number: 1
Is anyone familiar with this model?
They have one at Sam's Club. 46" and the picture looks fantastic. $1,699.

Post Number: 2
BTW, I've searched the Web and numerous site including the Akai USA site but haven't found ANY information on this model. Very odd.

Post Number: 3
Anyone?

Dyllan
Unregistered guest
It's an HDII model using a Zeiss engine. So far the results have been pretty spectacular, I also haven't seen anything on the web. While it ewas being designed we we comparing it to the Samsung unit, which it isn't. We liked our results better. This is the first link from GOOGLE since I have been looking. I have been working with this product for some time and am happy with the results.

Dyllan
Unregistered guest
It's an HDII model using a Zeiss engine. So far the results have been pretty spectacular, I also haven't seen anything on the web. While it ewas being designed we we comparing it to the Samsung unit, which it isn't. We liked our results better. This is the first link from GOOGLE since I have been looking. I have been working with this product for some time and am happy with the results.

Post Number: 4
Excellent! Thank you for the insight. If you'd be willing to send me a private message I'd like to learn more. I've not found an ounce of spec information online or off.

Post Number: 5
Dyllan - if you ever visit this thread again, please email me at: prock76@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Anonymous

Some info about AKAI PT46DL10:
NOT a Samsung model. Developed for AKAI by a company called DVLX (www.dvlx.com) in San Diego CA
HD2 Engine
6 segment colorwheel
OPLUS MN203 scaler

Post Number: 7
Thank you. Do you/anyone know if this model has a "Single Panel Digital Micro-Mirror Device (DMD) Design" as the Samsung models thus not requiring convergence adjustment?

Thanks again.

steven.mandell
Unregistered guest
I have seen the same TV at Sam's and I'm trying to get specs as well. This is the most I have found so far...

Anonymous

It does not require any convergence adjustments.
More info:
Contrast Ratio : 1500:1
Brightness : 600 NIT
Video Inputs : Composite-Video or S-Video *2, YPbPr, YCbCr, DVI,
RGB
Video Standards : NTSC / NTSC4.43, PAL / PAL-M / PAL-N / SECAM, HDTV, 480p, 540p, 576p, 720p & 1080i
Dimensions (W, H, D): 51" x 33.5" x 15.2"
Weight : < 65 lb (< 30 kg)
Lamp : 120 Watt lamp (OSRAM or PHOENIX lamps)
Special Features : UCS High Contrast Screen, Digital Mirror, 3D Noise
Reduction Comb Filter, High Performance Motion
Adaptive De-Interlacer, Picture-in-Picture (PIP), Split
Screen, SRS TruSurround XT, HDCP licensing for DVI
Input, Tri-Lingual Menus, Parental Control with
V-Chip

NeedDVI
Unregistered guest
The spec sheet at Sam's says "DVI Input" and the specs from this forum say "HDCP licensing for DVI Input" but I did not see a DVI Port on the rear of this TV. Has anyone had any dealings with DVI on this TV?

NeedDVI
Unregistered guest
UPDATE: After a second look I was able to pull the TV out and see the DVI port that was hidden the first time I looked. Anyone hooked a PC up to this TV yet?

Post Number: 8
I just bought the TV this weekend. I've not hooked up a PC yet but I will this week. I'll post the results. I'm upgrading my Dish Network package to receive the 811 HD receiver. I hope to run an S-video line out to my PC and do my recording in MS Media Center although I've heard the S-video out on the 811 is less than stellar.

NeedDVI
Unregistered guest
Great. Keep us posted.

Post Number: 9
Will do. A few things worth noting...

-There are no picture profiles -e.g. "Movie", "Game", etc. Fortunetly, each input does save any changes you make to the picture settings. For instance, my PS2 is plugged into Component 1 in the rear of the unit. My DVD player will plug into the DVI input. Picture setting changes made to any input are automatically saved.

-Overall quality is a B. Just about all plastic but what's to be expected for a $1700 DLP TV.

Post Number: 10
^^^ overall build quality that is. I'm still waiting on components to arrive to test picture quality.

NeedDVI
Unregistered guest
That sounds ok to me. I would rather save each imput rather than have generic profiles. The manual states 3:2 pull down in DVD playback but does it support 4:3 as a "Display" option for standard cable?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
I finally received my Dish 811 HD receiver. The picture is spectacular. I'm very happy with the purchase at this point. I had some trouble with the Y,B,R component cable I purchased for my PS2. I was concerned the Y,B,R input wasn't working correctly. I currently have the HD receiver inputed via the Y,B,R component input and it looks great.

Things left to do:
-Purchase a DIV cord for the HD receiver
-Purchase a progressive/upscaling DVD player (Samsung 850)

hans
Unregistered guest
All DVD's are standard resolution, you do not need a HD DVD player since DLP TV has de-interlacer and up-scaler anyway. If you have a HD DVD player TV will up-scale it a second time to fit native resolution of the display.

NeedDVI
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the update Peter. This still seems to be the only place for info.

Will2
Unregistered guest
http://www.akaiusa.com/img/pdf/tv/PT46DL10.pdf

has the specs for this machine...

Anonymous

Fry's in Atlanta has this TV on sale this weekend unitl 6/28 for $999. I am on my way out the door to make the purchase.

Username: Philadelphia

Audio Issues. How to connect to sound system? There seems to be jacks for speakers but that signal is in volts - too strong for an amp (?).

There is a headphone jack but the plug size is odd, smaller than the common 1/8" - 3.5mm but too big for a 3/32".

Don't expect much from Akai "customer care". They have yet to return a phone message or an email.

Anonymous

how's the sound???? I am considering purchasing this tv or an lcd and am curious if this is worth it

Username: Bradb

The sound from the speakers is not great; About what you'd expect at this price. Adapters for the smaller headphone jack can be purchased at your local RS, but don't bother. The headphone output just as bad as the RCA jacks. And it's not just the levels that are wrong. Even if you shift the level down where it should be, the sound is distorted. Major clipping or worse on both outputs.

Other minor defects include: The channel delete function does not work; Obviously a firmware bug. The aspect ratio is not stored with the picture settings. Both samples I took home have too much overscan on the left and almost none on the right. The NTSC tuners are not up to an imperfect signal.

More significant, one sample has significant underscan (half an inch or so and not uniform) on the top and a major inch wide bar of internal reflection in the lower quarter of the screen, apparently caused by the same misalignment. Some video modes on the VGA connector caused major green speckles in some shades, but feeding it something closer to 720p on the VGA connector looks fine.

On the positive side: The component inputs are perfect as far as I can tell; No misalignment of a fine pitch 720p pixel test pattern over the entire screen. My DVD's have never looked better. I couldn't get the DVI input to work with my computer video card but that could be pilot error. Has any one had DVI working on this set?

Brightness and optical sharpness is outstanding. Except for some quantization "ring" effects which were not at all obvious after properly adjusting the contrast and brightness, the picture was very very good overall on the first sample I tried.
I'm not a video buff, but I am known to be pretty fussy about my computer monitors and this one was not bad for the $999 price I paid. If I can get back to a sample (perhaps the same one I returned) without the internal reflection problem, I think I will keep it. I'm not likely to use the tuners (and thus the audio output) much anyway.
One of the tech support guys was pretty good and after chatting a minute, actually let slip about the reflection before I tried the second set so they are at least working on that problem. The other problems seemed to be news to them and he advised me to exchange the set for another sample. Too bad the second set was worse. A second tech support guy actually got angry and hung up on me after only a few minutes when I tried to explain the audio distortion problem.

QC (or just Q) is obviously an unfamiliar concept... :-)

Unregistered guest
Does anyone know if the RS232C jack on this set is for control purposes? Many consumer sets have a 232 jack, but only for firmware upgrades and such. I'd like to know if my AMX or Crestron system can be programmed to control this one.

Unregistered guest
I just bought an Akai PT46DL10. It has the internal reflection problem mentioned in Brad B's post. I wonder if they all have this problem, and if it can be fixed. It seems to come & go- I can move the thing a little bit & the problem seems to go away. But all it takes is a little bump to bring it back.

Unregistered guest
Here's some info on this model: I had called the Akai number from the manual after hours. The recordings didn't say that there was no one to answer the phone, but apparently that was true. I left a message & they replied the next day, telling me to call during normal office hours.

I did call at 8:30 Pacific time and explained my problem to the woman who answered (the horizontal line) She sent me to Technical Support, who said this is a known problem with some of these tv's, but not all of them. He said it's easy to fix, but they need to send someone out to fix it, and that will take about 2 weeks. That's really OK with me, so I faxed my invoice from Fry's to him. He said someone would be calling to schedule a time to come out.

Also hears some info I read, but have not verified yet:
It also has a design issue in that the grounds are not bonded. If you use the component in and do not connect the audio in then you have no ground connection for the component in. Picture tears as the sync (low freq) is degraded.

I can add a little concerning the DVI issue. I was able to connect my Comcast Cable box through it. I had to change the output (I'm not sure what the proper term is) of the cable box from 1080i to 720p for the picture to look right. At 1080i the picture had a "solarized" look, a mostly green cast with no colors actually what they should be.

I posted a question somewhere asking which would give a better picture, DVI @ 720p or Components @ 1080i. Someone answered that it didn't matter because a DLP TV can only display 720p. Does that sound right?

I could not get my PC to work through the DVI input, but like Brad B, I'm not sure I'm doing it right. I've got a slew of questions involving my PC but that will be in another posting.

I am very grateful for this forum and for the members sharing their knowledge. Thank you all.

Frank

Unregistered guest
>If you use the component in and do not connect
>the audio in then you have no ground
>connection for the component in. Picture tears
>as the sync (low freq) is degraded.

I am using the component in (progressive) and I have the audio connected,but I still have the "tearing" problem. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Frank,

I experienced the same solarized look (strong green filter) when connecting to my Dish Network 811 box via DVI.

Peter

With regard to tearing, I'm not sure I understand why this would be related to improper signal return (ground). Bad grounds should cause more severe problems than what I would call tearing. I connect component1 to a Nvidia 6200 video card for MythTV but the audio goes directly to the stereo and my picture looks fine.

I think tearing usually refers to an effect evident in scenes with left-right motion where the frame update is not synchronized to the vertical refresh. For example, I do see this effect when I drive the TV from a video card with "twinview" mode where the frame update is synchronized with the other monitor and not the TV. When I turn twinview off and drive just the TV, the tearing dissapears.

Unregistered guest
Thanks for the info, Brad. Here's a little more about what I'm calling "tearing": It looks like electronic interferance, I suppose, and it kind of smears light colors to the left & right. I connected my new dvd player to the Akai via the progressive scan component inputs, switched it to progressive scan & tried to display the dvd player setup menu. It was unreadable. I played a dvd with subtitles tuned on & they were mostly unreadable. I switched the dvd player back to non-progressive scan & plugged it into the other component input & everything displays fine. I plan to call Akai about that in the morning.

Unregistered guest
Here's an update: I called Akai & the guy didn't seem to recognize the symptoms I described. He did say they could fix it. I returned the tv to fry's & got another which has the same problems, as it turns out. I'm hoping Fry's can fix it, but now it's been a week since I first talked to them & they haven't called to schedule a visit.

vjvj
Unregistered guest
Overall is the TV OK? I see lot of technical problems which I do not understand. Is this TV better than regular TV to watch Movies.
Fry's has the TV on sale of $899.

Unregistered guest
While I have not yet given up & gotten my money back, I can't recommend that anyone buy this tv.

vjvj;

Do you feel lucky? If you get a set that is working properly it is an incredible value. I paid $1700 at Sam's Club. The Akai PT46DL10 seems to compare with sets in the $2000 range as far as specifications go. The picture on my set is beautiful, almost breathtaking. It is the third set I brought home though.

The first set didn't work at all. The second set had a section of the screen that was bad. A small bar at the bottom of the screen didn't show up right. Usually when you buy something, you expect it has been made properly, tested, calibrated, packaged safely, and supported by the company. In my opinion, Akai hasn't done that with this TV.

I'm not familiar with the Fry's store. What is their exchange policy? Can you return the set as many times as it takes to luck into a good one? You can't beat the price!

Good luck;

Frank

Post Number: 4
Anyone using this set as a PC monitor? I connected my PC to the PC input and it worked well up to 1024x768. I read somewhere that LCD monitors work best at their native resolution, I was wondering if that is true with a DLP monitor and if 1280x720 is the native resolution.

I can't get 1280x720 to work on the TV although it will display on my regular PC monitor. The display turns green and just doesn't fit right. I'm using an inexpensive Nvidia FX5200 video card but will gladly upgrade it to whatever it takes to work with the Akai.

Has anyone had any sucess using this with a PC?

How about a PC and the DVI input? Any luck with that?

Frank

Kelly R
Unregistered guest
Here's an update: Fry's has no more to Akai's to ship me- Akai "recalled" all the tv's from that store. Akai called & left me the number of someone in Dallas who would handle warranty work. I called them & they told me I'm too far away from them, although they are in Dallas and so am I. They gave me the number of someone in (nearby) Ft Worth, but the Ft Worth people told me they wouldn't come to Dallas. I went back to Fry's & bought a 44" RCA dlp & I'm sending the Akai back.

I did test the VGA input. It worked OK with both a 4200 and 6200 Nvidia card under Linux with a standard 60 Hz 1280x720 (720p) mode. There were some very minor green sparkles but they were not visible at a normal viewing distance. The problem with using this mode is that the TV tries to scale the VGA input to fit the screen. That is, it tries to compensate for the overscan designed into the TV. This causes a lower quality display since the pixels are not mapped one-to-one. I suspect that if just the right slightly-smaller-than-720p mode was used, the TV would scale it back to one-to-one. I didn't spend the time to experiment to find the right resolution. Since I use it mainly for video, I don't mind the overscan so I am now using a video card with component video outputs with the same 720p mode line and it works perfectly. Every pixel is displayed exactly as it should be. The overscan does cut off too much of the left and some of the other edges, but some overscan is normal and expected for video sources. If you can live with the overscan, you might want to try a video card with HDTV (component video) outputs.

No luck at all with DVI from the same video card. I tried all the standard modes but all the set would display was "no signal" I have a repair visit scheduled to trouble-shoot this as well as the bad audio output and inability to delete channels. I'm 95% sure the issue is with the TV and not my setup of the video card but I would like to hear from others who have tried DVI under windows.

indyeric
Unregistered guest
DVD Movies look wonderful. Does anyone know how to make regular cable look good? I went from a 36" CRT toshiba to this. I am NOT happy with the way tv looks though. I am NOT going to pay for HDTV either. I get free regular cable. Any help would be appreaciated. Thanks. By the way I seem to have gotten a good one. No banding at the bottom.

Unregistered guest
Does anyone know the remote code for the Pt46dl10? I have Directv and the codes that show up do not work. The Akai tech said the codes take a year or so to show up on new models.... I don't want to use two remote controls, would prefer using Directv only - but I need the Tv set code. Thanks
Bruce Collins
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us