Dissapointed with Fixed Pixel Technology and Have Questions Regarding CRT HDTV

Username: Cslinger

Post Number: 2
I have a really nice Sony XS955 55inch LCD TV but I just cannot get past how poor standard definition can look and apparently I am one of those people who is annoyed by the screen door effect.

I am considering selling the TV and going back to a good ole' CRT 34 inch wide screen TV. I am considering the Sony XBR 34inch.

My question is does standard definition look as good as it would on a regular TV on a CRT HDTV? I realize going down in size will mask alot of things but I am curious to know if Standard Def is as good as normal on a HD CRT TV.

Thanks
Chris

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 490
No. Standard definition genrally will not be pristine on a digital tv. I own the tv you are considering and also a Sony 35 inch XBR analog set. The latter consistently outperforms the former on standard broadcasts. Simply put, do primarily to the conversion factor, do not expect the current crop of digital tvs to shine on standard broadcast signals. But for HD and DVD, in my opinion, you will not find a better picture anywhere. Read some reviews. It has been frequently cited as having the best HD picture on the market. If watching standard broadcasts is all you want to do, you'll probably be happier with a quality analog set.

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 491
P.S. The general consensus is still that CRTs give the best picture. LCD's and Plasma's are making gains, but they are not there yet.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us