Comcast tuner and OTA HDTV

Jetson
Unregistered guest
How do i hook up an OTA HDTV antenna to my comcast tuner to receive the OTA HD broadcasts in my area? I currently have Comcast HD, but only get NBC and ABC networks in HD. The local FOX and CBS stations tell me that they have OTA broadcasts in HD.

I have been to antennaweb, and i have purchased an antenna for $50 from Rat Shack. Now i just can't figure out how to hook it up and receive the broadcasts. Please Help!!

Bronze Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 58
I could be misreading your post, but I don't think you can connect any antenna to a STB. You would need to connect it directly to your TV antenna input ( check your owners manual as to which input is disignated for digital tuner since you didn't indicate what make and model of TV you have) If your STB is currently connected to that input for analog signal, you can use composite, s-video, or component inputs to view your STB channels and the digital ant. for the HD OTA.

Jetson
Unregistered guest
<<how>>

<<i>>

Maybe i can word this question a little better. I am a little confused so i will try to explain this as best as possible.

If my TV (Panasonic 47" HD Ready), sorry don't have the model number in front of me, does not have a built in tuner, what do i need to use with my antenna to receive the OTA HD? I have two antenna inputs on my TV, and i think i am using an HDMI input to watch my HD. Where do i hook it up, and does my TV automatically receive the signa? Very confused!

billlllyhilllllly
Unregistered guest
Without a built in tuner you cannot receive OTA HD signal. You need to upgrade your cable service to HD.

If you had a built in tuner you would connect a UHF antenna directly to the TV. You cannot connect to the cable box. What model number panasonic do you have. With two antenna inputs I am a little surprised that you don't have a built in tuner.

Jetson
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the help! I will check to see if my TV has a built in tuner, but i am almost positive it does not. If it does not have a built in tuner, do i need to buy one, and then does that make my cable box obsolete?

billllllyhilllllly
Unregistered guest
You don't need to buy a tuner if you want to use the cable company supplied HD programs. The box they provide is a tuner that will convert to your tv. If you buy a HD signal tuner, you will be able to descramble any OTA signals that your antenna can bring in. I live about 40 miles from Chicago and receive ABC,NBC,CBS,FOX,PBS and one or two other hi def/digital OTA signals.

Bronze Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 70
Jetson,
If you provide the model number for your TV, that would help in determining what it's capable of.

Jetson
Unregistered guest
Alright, the Model # is a Panasonic PT-47WX53.

I found online yesterday that it has two antenna sources, but both are NTSC.

BillyHilly, you are saying that i should bypass using the Comcast provided HD signal tuner and buy one that can be connected to a UHF antenna?

I currently have the HD service that is available in my area, but comcast does not offer Fox, CBS, and UPN (which is worthless anyway).

I really only want to be able to pick up the Fox HD broadcast for the Baseball and Football seasons.

Thanks for all your help!

fx
Unregistered guest
It has no built in ATSC tuner, your display is an HDTV monitor. If you purchase an OTA tuner be sure to buy one that will convert it's outputs to 1080i since your TV will not accept a 720p signal.

xvxvxvx

billllllyhilllllly2
Unregistered guest
Jetson, unless you purchase an ATSC tuner you cannot display HD on your TV. You can by-pass the Comcast Box with an ota uhf antenna, but you will have to pass the signal through an ATSC tuner.

Is it worth it to your to pick up Fox HD? Before you buy anything make sure you can pick up Fox ota in your area.

Unregistered guest
I have a Samsung HP-4252 HDTV with built-in ATSC and NTSC tuners. I have basic cable provided by my apartment complex that does not offer any HDTV programming.

In theory, all I have to do is buy a UHF antenna to connect and pick up OTA HDTV broadcasts? What stations typically offer OTA broadcasts (I live in downtown Dallas), and/or how would I find that out?

I can't get comcast HDTV or DirectTV, so my options are limited. . . but I NEED HDTV for football season. Would be a crying shame and waste not to on my beautiful 42" Samsung HDTV.

Thanks in advance for any help. . .
Andy

Silver Member
Username: Kdog044

Post Number: 164
andygwis,

You are correct that if you have an ATSC tuner you can get whatever OTA broadcasts are in your area. All you have to do is connect the cable feed from the antenna to the ANT input of your display and let the TV autoprogram the channels. Check out antennaweb.org for specific stations by input of your address and zip code. They can also direct you to the type of antenna neeeded to pick up the various stations.

Username: Fox_hdless

Post Number: 1
Why is Comcast so darn slow in get HD channels to northern california?
we currently get inhd 1 & 2, pbs, espn, discovery hd.
they add fox, but they must think we are stupid, for broadcasting fox hd from a analog signal.
could they not first upconvert to digital then HD?
we want more channels, ABC, NBC, and CBS would be a nice start.
If you are from the Chico, CA. area, let me know what channels you get and if you have heard anything from comcast.

fx
Unregistered guest
HD is inherently digital, if you are getting an analog signal it is not High Definition.

xvxvxvx

Username: Fox_hdless

Post Number: 2
fx, you are very correct.
I can switch back and forth between fox 30 (analog) and fox 902 (hd) and they both look like the same. the fox 902 hd looks like analog but stretched to full screen.
I just can't understand why comcast would do this.

Username: Bill984

Post Number: 1
i just bought a sony 23" LCD Flat Panel HDTV
KLV-S23A10 for the bedroom.( i am not going to get digital\hd cable untill i get my hitachi 42"plasma for the living room.} the picture is fantastic as it is now with basic cable. but am i reading correctly, even with an antenna i would still need a "box" to get hd ota on the sony?
thanks, bill

fx
Unregistered guest
Bill,

That is correct, you need an ATA receiver with an ATSC tuner for your setup, plus an antenna.

xvxvxvx

fx
Unregistered guest
Make that an OTA receiver not an ATA.

Username: Bill984

Post Number: 2
thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us