HD: is it worth it? bang/buck bigscreen suggestions

Bronze Member
Username: Mattellermets

Danville, IL US

Post Number: 64
my older brother just bought a house, he asked me for advice on which TV to buy...

apparently his roommate already picked one out from best buy or something... but i told him to wait so i could get online and make sure he isnt being ripped off.

i dont know what he had picked out other than he said "high definition 55 inch"

anyway is the high definition practically useful... most of their watching will be dvd's and/or games... not sure if they are getting satellite or not, and also not sure if it will have HD. should i tell them to save the money from the HD and put it into letting me design a better sound setup for them (thats my vote, i heart "HD" sound), or should they go for HD, with the hopes of the coming release of HD DVD

thanks for the advice

Silver Member
Username: Vindsl

Post Number: 168
Hrm...

I wasn't going to reply to this thread, but it got me thinking - when you mentioned sound...

I must have spent $20k, over the years, on various speakers before I settled on my Klipschorns. Since then, I've had 4-5 different amps hooked up to them. If you'll pardon the pun, my CURRENT amp is a Harman/Kardon.

My point in telling you this is - IMHO there is NOTHING like a BIG speaker, except a BIG speaker. Small speakers are a compromise!

In my experience, the same applies to TV sets!

I don't want to turn this into a sermon, but I own a Sony Grand Wega. I earn 6 figures a year, am floating on a sea of cash, and have a 138 IQ. I could buy any TV I want, and my choice is the Sony GW. Take it for what it's worth.

Anyway, I consider the cornerstone[s] of my setup to be the Sony GW and the Klipsch corner horn speakers. All the rest is gingerbread and given to whim and folly.

Links: The Klipschorn Speaker System :: Why HDTV?

Bottom line: Big speakers and big TV's - you can't beat 'em... :-)

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 469
Matt, Vin has given his opinion, along with some extraneous information that has absolutely nothing to do with your inquiry. But that's his style. It's very difficult to answer your question without detailed info on viewing habits and preferences. High definition is gaining momentum and in a few years all broadcasts will go digital. So purchasing a digital tv should help avoid premature obsolescence. But that's all I can tell you in response to the limited background you provide.

HD Guy
Unregistered guest
I kind of agree with Dale that I have no idea what Vin was saying. As far as I know, you can get a pair of big speakers and a big TV but that does not mean you are getting HD. Sad to see 138IQ got totally wasted.
To answer your question, you have to ask youself how important TV watching is to you. If you spend couple hours each day watching TV or DVD (currently ED), you should consider upgrading to HDTV. You will not be disappointed. Especially if you are looking to replace a TV, HDTV prices are getting to the level similar to SDTV were 3 years ago. Depend on how you are getting your TV signal, some cable companies only charge a few buck more for HD service. BTW, most of the HD channels come with Dolby Digital sound.

Bronze Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 57
~scratching head~ I thought it was just me not understanding it...maybe it's kind of like what Tim Allen does (grunt grunt pound chest) lol.
I agree with Dale and the HD guy, I don't even own an HDTV yet, because I'm waiting on technology to settle down, and the prices along with it ( I don't make 6 figures, so I have to wait till I can afford something lol)
Doing a little bit of research can help you find what is in your best interest. Asking what is best is gonna be open to a lot of debate as peoples opinion's vary. Buy with a clear concience that you know what you're getting, what features it has, what formats it supports, and what benefits it has over similar makes and models. Best of luck

formerly xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
If I had an IQ of only 138 and wrote like Vin I'd commit suicide. :-)

xvxvxvx

sigh
Unregistered guest
former x, you have the iq of a bestbuy salesman. you talk a lot of bull but have no detailed knowledge whatsoever. i see your dunderhead followers are still in tow. i guess your philosophy is if you can't beat 'em with smarts, insult them and pretend to be knowledgeable

formerly xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
SIGH? Is that you? In the flesh? LOL Must be that goober an actual technician or whatevcer you like to pretend you are.

Keep em coming, you are one funny fellow.

xvxvxvx

Silver Member

Post Number: 169
Dear Dumb, Dumber & Dumbest,
You need to practice your reading comprehension.

The guy is asking if a 'bigscreen' TV is 'worth it' (at this point-in-time) or, is an upgraded 'sound system' worth more?

The answer is: 'bigscreens' and big speakers are always in order, and 'worth it'! :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 472
Formerly X (may I call you fx for short?), you're something else!!! I'll be laughing all day at your penultimate post.

Bronze Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 63
Sorry Vin, speaking for myself and not taking sides in the bantor, Matt simply asked a question concerning an HD big screen purchase, and if HD was worth it at this point and time, based on what he believed his brother would be using it for. He also asked if the HD wasn't feasible, would it be better to sink the money into a better sound system...
Your opinion was duly noted, I just don't think the whole " IQ, money earned, money to burn" comment was needed. Gloating is the word that comes to mind, my opinion subject to debate open to conversation.
IMHO, I think a 55" Big Screen TV is great, but Matt neglected to state the room size this would be viewed in, he also indicated "his brother's roommate", would one could ascertain that he might be living in an apartment and not a house..if former is true over the latter, and say the average 2 bedroom apartment has a 15 x 10 living room space a 55" might not look so good at such close quarters. I think if Matt really wanted a good answer to his question, if he is still reading, please be as detailed as possible. The type of TV is regardless, screen size, room size, example of what it will be used for ( as he stated DVD's, games etc..) all help make a better determination of what he's seeking, or anybody else for that matter.
Regards,

fx
Unregistered guest
Thanks Dale fx is fine, in fact I kinda like it. :-)

You'd think Vin would give up offering opinions, particularly when they are pretty much irrelevant to the subject at hand.

xvxvxvx

Silver Member

Post Number: 170
LoL! You two ought to get married. I'd love to see your baby... :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 171
Um...

Dale, you are a girl, right? Like Dale Evans, or whatever...

Bronze Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 68
Thanks for the laughs guys, somewhere a TV executive is missing out on a good sitcom.

Silver Member

Post Number: 175
LoL! Yeah, this IS a hoot, isn't it?

I've been doing this bulletin board stuff since the 80's, and I've seen it all. The last time I ran across this situation, some jackball was pretending to be about 10 different people - guys, girls, a biker, trailer trash, realtor, newspaper mogul, handicapped Vietnam vet, et cetera. One of his 'friends' finally spilled the beans.

Anyway, this Dale character is either a hot chick with a fixation on X-man, or a fudgepacker hoping to get lucky. That much is obvious...

Bronze Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 72
Sure it's funny, what's sad is when you make comments like that.

Silver Member

Post Number: 495
Vin, you're dead wrong as usual. I realize that you can't help it. Your diagnosis appears in the DSMIV.

Silver Member

Post Number: 176
LoL! Whatever! I'm not trying to 'out' you Dale. If you're comfortable praising X-Man in post-after-post, go for it. I just find it a little suspicious. I figured you were a girl. No big deal - but I'd still like to see your baby - even if it comes out X-man's backside.

Anyway, if you'll pardon the pun[s], the best bang for the buck is Plasma, right now. Supply is outstripping demand. It won't be that way forever, so my suggestion is to get down on it!

Proof of concept: http://www.pcworld.com/resource/article/0,aid,120152,pg,1,RSS,RSS,00.asp
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us