Can't hook up JVC DVD recorder with Comcast Motorola Box?????

Bronze Member
Username: Valval1029

Rahway, NJ

Post Number: 19
OK, where to begin???......

Problem 1) the JVC isn't compatible with the motorola box for using VCR Plus, so the cable box would have to be left on for recording--- which I guess is not a big deal.

Problem 2) JVC says I have to hook the component cables from DVD to TV and S-Video from cable to DVD... However, with the Motorola, only the component outputs allow HD and also the guide, info on programming, etc...

I tried hooking the cable from wall to the DVD and then using the same type of cable hooking the DVD to the Comcast... and using component still for DVD to TV (input 1) and also cable to TV (input 2) (2 sets of cables)... This seemed good however I was getting pixelation and the audio would go out (skip) a couple times a minute on HD channels... However, this was the only way I could get a picture using DVD player, for recording. (However, I could only record programming on Video 1 and in order to record programming recorded previously on the Motorola's DVR, I need to use video 2?!? The program would be playing on the TV using Video 2, but would record whatever channel Video 1 had going... which does make sense...) Either way, Comcast told me I should keep the cable from wall going directly into cable box, etc...

Right now, I have the Motorola hooked up as I always used to, with the cable going into box and component to TV. Then I put S-Video output from Motorola into DVD's input. Same with red/white audio... (using the L1 inputs on the back of the JVC)

However, I can NOT get a signal from DVD player! I can't make sense out of that. I get the picture using Video 2(cable box), but when I switch to Video 1 (DVD) I get a white screen... and NO SIGNAL will come up.

SO, am I missing something here? Is there a hook up possible that will keep all things working smoothly??? I suppose I could still record DVDs from my video camera, but I don't think that would be worth keeping the unit...

My original intent was also to transfer programming previously recorded with the Motorolas DVR to DVD... That hasn't been possible either as mentioned above.

Maybe another DVD Recorder would work better with my set up or one of you knows a way to do this??? THANKS SO MUCH FOR LISTENING!

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 861
If you are using an s-video cable with the JVC, you have to go into the menus and set whatever input you are using to s-video, the default is composite. I don't remember where in the menus it is, but it's there somewhere.

Bronze Member

Rahway, NJ

Post Number: 20
I believe I did that already. Under VIDEO IN/OUT, I have the Rear Aux L-1 (and L-2) to S-Video instead of video.

Monitor type: 16:9 Auto or Fix? (I have a 16:9 TV- Pioneer Elite 530 HD)

When I select the input from the TV, Video 1 says component on the TV screen as well as video 2... Does the fact that there is a component connection from the JVC override the S-video???

There's still no signal.

Silver Member

Post Number: 862
Can you play a DVD on the JVC and see it on the TV?

Bronze Member

Rahway, NJ

Post Number: 21
yes

Silver Member

Post Number: 865
Are you sure you set the input on the JVC to s-video? Is the s cable the only video connection on that input? Can you connect the cable box to the recorder with RCA jacks? If so and it works then it's not on s-video.

Bronze Member

Rahway, NJ

Post Number: 22
I tried using RCA jacks instead and it still didn't work... I then changed the input on JVC to Video iinstead of S-Video and it still didn't work... It doesn't make sense... Not that i'm an expert.

Silver Member

Post Number: 871
This is pretty obvious, you do have the recorder set on whatever input you have the box connected to? Try connecting the s-video cable from the cable box to the TV, that will tell you if it's the cable box or the recorder.

Bronze Member

Rahway, NJ

Post Number: 23
OK! I GOT IT! I had to set the channel to L-1... I did have the menu set to that, but I had to use the channel up/down on remote to set the front of JVC to L1.

Thanks for your time!

dhous152
Unregistered guest
What model Motorola box do you have? I was told by our Comcast cable guy that the Motorola HDTV box is only allowed to have one output. That if you use the component connection, the S-Video and the RF connection will be disabled. Obviously, you got it to work with both component and s-video, counter to what I was told was possible. I was wondering if you have the same model Comcast in SE Pennsylvania uses?

fx
Unregistered guest
dhous152,

Those options will be selected by firmware implemented by your local cable company. All the Motorola boxes are capable of sending data over all the outputs at the same time but your local Comcast region may have those alternatives disabled. I have a Motorola 5100, 6200, and 6412, all the outputs are active at the same time depending upon my user selected internal menu selections.

Just a side not, it is highly unusual for the cable company to disable any of the outputs. It is more likely that your local cable company employee was simply mistaken. I suggest you just try it and see.

xvxvxvx

Username: Eeks63

Bolingbrook, IL USA

Post Number: 1
I'm adding on do this thread since I have a similar issue. I just switched from Direct TV to Comcast. I have a Motorola 6412 HD DVR and a Panasonic DMR-E55 DVD Recorder.

With Direct TV, the hookup of the DVR to the DVD was easy.

The Motorola box has fewer outputs. I have the cable going into the box. Then an audio out and the video out to the TV.

The DVD Recorder is connected to the TV through the component jacks.

At first, I got no picture or sound when I went to the "Component One" output view on my TV, which is where the DVD Recorder is connected. Then, I hooked an S-Viseo cable from the cable box to the Line 1 input on the DVD recorder. I now have picture when I go to the Component One output view on the TV, but no sound. I do not see any extar sound output jacks on th cebale box to connect to the DVD Recorder.

Sorry for the rambling. Usually, I can figure this stuff out. This time,I'm stuck.

Thanks.

fx
Unregistered guest
DCT-6412 has two additional digital outputs as well as the analog outputs. Why not purchase either a digital coax or toslink (optical) cable and use a digital connection? Your E-55 should accept a digital input.

xvxvxvx

Jim Favini
Unregistered guest
I'm wondering if this configuration will allow me to record standard digital channels while allowing me to watch HDTV directly from the cable box (not at the same time, of course)?

* A Moto 6200 cable box with an s-video & red/white audio connections to a Panasonic E85H,
* the component video out of the Panasonic E85H to one of the two component inputs of a Sony 34xbr960.
* the component video from the Moto 6200 to one of the other component input of the Sony 34xbr960,
* the audio from the Moto 6200 to the Sony being carried by either optical digital audio or spdif

??????????

fx
Unregistered guest
Yes.

xvxvxvx

Bolingbrook, IL USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks, fx. I didn't see this until now.

I'll give it a shot.

Bolingbrook, IL USA

Post Number: 3
Back to my problem with the no sound on the DVD Recorder hooked to Comcast HD Box,

I could be wrong, but the DVD Recorder has only the red/white audio in jacks, no other audio in jacks. No digital in jack, just digital out. The box has only one analog out, which is going to the TV.

fx
Unregistered guest
Doesn't your TV have any digital sound inputs Jim?

xvxvxvx

Username: Samfox137

Post Number: 1
Trying to use Charter Digital Motorola Cable Box with a Sony VCR/DVD-R RDR-VX500. My goal is to be able to record from the cable box. I can play DVDs, VCR tapes, and watch cable TV as long as I control the channel via the cable box. This leaves me unable to record automatically with the Sony. The cable box is currently connected to the Sony via a standard cable. Is using the RCA connectons the answer? Thanks!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1029
Never use coax unless you have to, use an s-video cable or RCA jacks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us