Archive through March 06, 2005

Exsamsungcustomer
Unregistered guest
WARNING- STAY AWAY FROM SAMSUNG DLPs! Read the message boards and learn about A/V out-of-sync, screetching color wheels, screen smudges, & 3 lights of death. Check out www.bbb.org and find out how Samsung reacts to customer complaints (unsatisfactory record).

These tvs are trash. Many complaints across multiple message boards. Don't cause yourself grief by buying one of these and going through what many have experienced. Don't just "deal with it". Call Samsung Consumer Affairs at 1-800-747-5618. Fill out an online complaint at BBB.org. What's next - small claims court/class-action. We'll see......

FYI
Unregistered guest
Doom and gloom...oh my!

This person spent their time and energy b1tching and complaining instead of resolving some petty issues through the warranty. Now, they're ready to call the lawyers! All HD RPTV's are "new inventions". They all have issues. Some folks are patient and some folks are not. Some keep swapping sets out hoping for a "perfect" one. It's not a perfect world and some folks just can't "deal with it".

My Samsung HLP5063W had a damaged lamp during shipping. It went out the first month. (three lights) The Samsung factory warranty service was exceptional. A technician arrived in 2 days and replaced the lamp. My color wheel developed a slight high pitched sound during the fifth month. The Samsung people were aware of the issue and on the 3rd day after calling, the same technician brought out a newly designed "air bearing" color wheel for my set. Everything has been fine for almost a year now. The picture is fabulous, I mean absolutely incredible, which is why I chose Samsung. I have a 5 year extended warranty and I'm not sweating any repair.

***WARNING*** STAY AWAY FROM CRANKY, ANGRY, IMPATIENT, STRESSED-OUT PEOPLE!

Username: Berockin1

NJ

Post Number: 3
I agree FYI. My Sammy HLP5063W had a slight whistle to the color wheel. Had it replaced and all is well. Except for the color wheel my TV has 100% perfect since I got it last July.
I'd say 8 of my friends have HDTV's and everytime there is a major event to watch, they all insist on watching it on my HLP5063W. That just shows how much they like the TV's they decided to purchase.

NJ

Post Number: 4
Is there a way to get into a service menu to see how many hours are on the lamp ?

Username: Slamming_sammy1

Post Number: 1
Hi Mr. Cox,

regarding your statement:

"Models since Oct 04 (Dated manufacturing wise) are using essentially the same light engine (there is a seperate sound sync issue with a board fix incorporated, plus some other tweaks to the firmware) and a phillips or sammy bulb"

are you saying that models since oct 04 have fixed this sound sync issue? i wasn't too sure from reading your statement. thank you!

NJ

Post Number: 5
OMG !!!! I just posted on Thursday that my sammy has been pretty much perfect since day one.
Then yesterday 02/13 my TV woundn't turn on and the 3 lights of death were flashing. unplugged it then plugged in a few minutes later and it came right on. No problems after that but I have a call into a local repair guy to come look at it. :-(

FYI
Unregistered guest
Well...it's a July 04 set, so, I was wondering why that lamp was hanging in so long. Most of them failed shortly after shipping. Now, you will have a new "Phillips" lamp, which you will find to be a shade brighter. The picture will be better than it was. Oh...by the way...leave the set on 24/7 until the tech arrives.

Klaus
Unregistered guest
Mark R. :
Don't be surprised if the lamp does not end your problems. I had a HLN437 in October which I got open box from CC. It failed to turn on the night I brought it home. Same symptoms as you descibe. Tech came and replaced lamp, 2 days later same problem. I would have the whole light engine replaced. I took that set back and now have a hlp4674 which has been trouble free.

NJ

Post Number: 6
I forgot to mention those screen smudges all of a sudden appeared yesterday as well. I've heard that the screen has to be replaced to solve that one.

Klaus
Unregistered guest
Mark R. I have the screen smudges down each side of the screen certain times when it has been sitting, either during the night or during the workday. They clear up after about 45 minutes, possibly due to heat from lamp and fan air flow. Wipping with a soft cloth usually removes them immediately. Since Samsung has a bulletin on their FAQ section, it is a recognized problem with a fix. I am waiting to see if other more important issues show up as well. The smudges are not bad now especially since they are in the black side bars of SD transmissions which unfortunately are mostly what we get to watch. I have the hlp4674 since November and this "knock on wood" is the only issue so far

NJ

Post Number: 7
I know, I've read that on the smudges.
But you have to figure for 3 grand these issues should not happen. This is the 3rd gen DLP.
My dad bought the toshiba DLP and has no issues at all.
It's weird how these Samsung issues are somewhat acceptable after spending $3000.00 dollars for something. But I have the extended warranty and will use it for everything that goes wrong. Samsung told me the smudges happen during shipping,
its the screen layers that are slightly seperated.
Makes sense but I've had mine for 7 months before they appeared. oh well

giver111
Unregistered guest
While watching an HDTV channel using TIME WARNER service I have experienced some crazy things on the screen. It's almost at times like a liquid melting effect where all the pixels ripple. I wonder if this is with the broadcast or the set. I also noticed sitting real closely to the set that occasionally during the same broadcasts a tinly black line quickly flashes horizontally across the screen. The only reason I noticed the black line was that I happened to be sitting really close to the set. I just wanted to know if anyone else encountered this? If I should worry about the tv or if it's just the broadcast.

Anonymous

I just got the three lights of death on my HLN507W
If this happens to be a lamp problem do I have to
replace the Toshiba lamp [BP96-00224A] with the
same one or can I use the Phillips lamp.Is the
Phillips lamp a better product. This Samsung DLP
is 18 months old. I do have the 5 year warranty.

FYI
Unregistered guest
The new lamp from Samsung Parts is a Phillips. Here is the link. Put in your model number and click go. On the next page in the bottom box use the pull down menu to select your model number, then click go again. There she is...

BP47-00008A LAMP-BALLAST PHILIPS 100P/H00,100W $173.33

http://www.samsungparts.com/search/search.asp

FYI
Unregistered guest
Oh...by the way...next time you fire it up, slap the lamp housing during the first few seconds and it will light. Then, leave it on 24/7 until the service guy comes.

Username: Xiphias

Post Number: 3
Some of you maybe bleak and some believers of DLP. I just called up the 800 # at Samsung, they put me right thru to a local service guy, told him of my whinning color wheel, they were out two days later, did the job in 45 minutes, called it no charge, then I got a follow up customer satisfaction call from Samsung and I told them I was completely satisfied. So moral of the story is, you get what you give. Try being nice to the folks at Samsung customer service and they may do something nice for you. Oh, by the way, my view is a year old 50" and now is as quiet as a mouse. Thank you Samsung customer service!

astealey
Unregistered guest
I own the Samsung HLP-5063. Two weeks of ownership then I got the three lights of death. Purchased from BB and bought the 4 year warranty. Local TV guy coming tomorrow to fix it. I would recommend buying the extended service plan on any TV over a grand. Will repost with exact problem once fixed.

Username: Peadegm

Post Number: 4
After reading all of these horror stories I am still buying my new Sammy4663 tomorrow. It is the only TV that fits my cabinet perfectly. I wanted the 4674 but it is 3 inches smaller( on width) and they don't have a 5074?? Don't know why?

Anyway BB has it on sale for 2199.00 and the salesman is slipping me a 10% off coupon so after a 4 year warrenty and tax it is costing only 2556.10! I just hope I am one of the lucky ones! I really like the 74 series better but it jus doesn't fit right!

Hopefully, I will look back on the post a year from now, copy and paste it to a new post and tell everyone how great it is!!

DrewDc
Unregistered guest
Can anyone point me in the direction of finding a cabinet for my 4663? I'd really like to avoid building one my self, or having one custom built, but my living room is plain as can be and the cabinet would be a nice addition... thanks in advance!!

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 481
Drew-

What price range are you looking at? If you want to save some money checkout IKEA. I'm not sure if they have one in your area though. You can view there stuff at www.ikea.com

We also have a thread going with a few stand ideas that people posted. https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/114959.html

NJ

Post Number: 8
Drew. they have a good stand for the Sammy's.
The stand model is TR63. It expands to fit the 46" up to the 61" DLP's perfectly. I have one, bought it from my neighbor for 200.00. For our 50"
It has a door on the back to hide all the wires. It can be expensive to buy new. I've seen it from 329.00 up to 499.99. It's not a cabinet but it really fit's the tv perfectly my wife and I really like the way it all looks together.

giver111
Unregistered guest
I've heard this on some forums, maybe even here but I hear that a major cause for the bulb blowing is due to power surges that occur. 1000's of power surges happen daily, most are totally unnoticeable. The thread had people buying heavy duty monster surge protectors for over $100. Anyone else hear or can confirm this??

Bustnchops
Unregistered guest
Wow...I guess I better run out and buy a Monster Surge Protector for every light bulb in the house!

astealey
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 08:35 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I own the Samsung HLP-5063. Two weeks of ownership then I got the three lights of death. Purchased from BB and bought the 4 year warranty. Local TV guy coming tomorrow to fix it. I would recommend buying the extended service plan on any TV over a grand. Will repost with exact problem once fixed.

UPDATE -> TV working fine the next day, cancelled repair appointment. Last night I attempted to turn on set three times, all resulted in the three lights of death. Left unplugged overnight and plugged in and turned on with no problems. I guess it needed some rest from being only used for 10 hours over the last 2 weeks.

FYI
Unregistered guest
The lamp needs to be replaced before it arcs and causes the entire light engine to be replaced. A new Phillips lamp should restore normal operation. If it doesn't, ask for a replacement set. They should honer that in the first 30 days.

If it doesn't come on, turn it off and wait for the fan to shut off. Then, turn it on. During the first few seconds slap the lamp housing area a couple of times. (facing the back, it's the bottom right side) It will light up. Leave it on 24/7 until the new lamp is replaced.

Been there...done this!

Whats wrong ?
Unregistered guest
My HLP5063W which is 7 months old, all of a sudden shuts it's self off after it's been on for a few hours. This happened a few times just before XMAS, then not again untill tonite.
But tonite it happened three times... Any thoughts as to whats wrong ?

Klaus
Unregistered guest
Whats wrong:
Call Samsung! Also check the status of the 3 LEDs on the front when the shut off happens. Write down any of the symtoms for the tech. Some are good but others are relatively clueless. This seems to be a somewhat common problem, so there is probably some service history.

whats wrong ?
Unregistered guest
Klaus.... When it shuts off the LED turns red.
It doesn't flash all three, like I've read in this forum. I called Samsung last night after hours, she gave me a Transaction # and sent me into a voicemail system to leave my info.
The recording says someone from Samsung will call me within 24 hours. This is my 1st Sammy and have no history with their Cust. Service, I hope they call and I dont have to chase them down. The wife is already saying I told you so for switching from Sony. We've had Trinitron's for 30years.
I hope Samsung delivers a knowledgeable Tech ASAP and My TV is fixed properly.

FYI
Unregistered guest
Tell your wife that my Sony 36" died and the tech said it was terminal. He said, "they don't make'em like they used to."

Call Samsung again. They have a list of service techs in your area. Don't wait! The squeaky wheel theory works. They will fax the service # to the tech. They will also give you his phone #.
This happened to me, and all is fine now.

Klaus
Unregistered guest
whats wrong:
I had an earlier Samsung HLN437W and had a call in to Samsung. They were prompt and couteous. The only problem I had was the tech wrote down my phone number incorrectly so I had a 4 day rather than 2 day wait. One thing to be aware of is power drops. I had a friend that was using a good power strip, but the power cord to the set was loose where it plugged into the set. It would shut off intermittantly. If applicable check where the cord plugs into the back of your set (unless hard wired), and try plugging a low wattage lamp into the same outlet as your TV. You may see the lamp flicker if the power is fluctuating. Another slim possibility is that the batteries in the remote might be low and causing odd remote signals to shut off the TV. I had an old Sony set that did that.

what's wrong ?
Unregistered guest
Samsung just confirmed that they'll be @ my house on Saturday to look at my TV.
Do the tech's have replacement parts in their trucks ? He didn't seem to concerned about my problem... by that I mean he wasn't surprised and it was not a major problem. We'll see on Saturday I suppose

OpticRoy
Unregistered guest
Hello Samsung trashers. I have had my 56"er for 18 months. Absolutely zero problems. The picture is still stunning and we have noticed no degradation. It is still great with the sun shining into the room. My wife has left it on all night many times (turned off the cable box), so we have many many hours of use. Yes, analog looks sub par w/r HDTV because it is. Rainbow effect? I have tried hard to find it. I think I may have found it by quickly sweeping my head side to side. That's a tough way to watch TV. Yup, I can hear the fan when in a very quiet room, but it is gone as soon as any audio from anything is on. Yes there is an audio video sync problem on analog because I am grabing the audio off the cable box. It takes some time for the computer in the TV to process that ratty signal into display form. But then, it's hard to watch analog when all those beautiful HDTV stations are on. When the HDTV is out of sync, its the broadcaster's fault, not the TV. Sync is still not a problem as who watches all those talking heads all the time anyway? Soon they too will be in HD. Yup, I paid $4k at Sound Advice (Tweeters) way back then and I am damn happy. Samsung had the guts to learn how to make these and stuck with it. Introducing new radical electro-optic systems is very hard to do; I know.

New DLP technologies to watch for - The scrolling color wheel and optical integrator. Better color, no chance of rainbows, double the light output (transmission) and best yet, they can be much smaller. I know, we make them. OCLI assembles them. They are first going into the super DLP projectors. Put this with the 1080p Samsung DLP and Blue Wave 1080p DVDs - WOW! Watch out in the coming 2 years!

Bronze Member
Username: Robbie

Monroe, NY USA

Post Number: 11
OpticRoy:
I pretty much agree. I have an HLN507W for 13 mos. now, no problems. I have audio/video sync issues on some DVD's. Not all of 'em tho, which drives me nuts trying to figure. I split audio off to a surround sound system..

Curious1
Unregistered guest
Robbie,

Are you using component cables and progressive scan on that DVD player? It does make a difference in the A/V sync.

DrewDC
Unregistered guest
what's wrong ?:
i had the tech come out to repair the color wheel on my 4663. well, he didn't have a replacement on the truck because the tv was so new (they wait a year to stock the trucks to save money)... so he had to have it ordered to the house. And I even told the tech it was my color wheel based on info I've read here. He had to make 2 trips out to fix the wheel, but it was no big deal.

Username: Jkerr45

I just had my Samsung 50" delivered. I plugged in my VCR, DVD, A/V reciever, and Cable. I sat down on my couch ready to enjoy my new big screen. I turn on the TV and all I see is B&W, no color. The only thing in color is the Menu screen. All my channels are B&W, my DVD's are B&W. As this happened to anyone and how can I fix? Or, do I just return it?

FYI
Unregistered guest
Wow...that's a new one. I wonder if they forgot to put a color wheel in it. The tech who replaced my color wheel said if you leave it out, it's the best black & white picture he has ever seen. Better swap it!

Bronze Member
Username: Robbie

Monroe, NY USA

Post Number: 12
Curious1:
Am using DVI interface..

Curious1
Unregistered guest
Robbie J,

Have you gone into the menu of the DVD player and activated 480P? My A/V sync issue went away when I did!

TexanMojo
Unregistered guest
I have a Samsung HLN5065WX DLP that I purchased from BB in October '03. So far...its been a great television.

Lately, the color when using HD has been terrible (can't generate RED or GREEN very well) and I can't seem to adjust it to make it look better in any way. This seems to be less noticable when not watching the non HD channels through the TiVo.

I have Time Warner Cable using component connections.

After reading through the posts here, I wonder if its the color wheel or the bulb.

What might be causing the problem? I did purchase the extended warranty through BB so I should be able to get it fixed...but I really want to know what to say to them in advance.

Thanks,

TexanMojo

DLP Owner
Unregistered guest
Sounds like it's time for a new lamp! Color wheels generally get noisy before they fail. If they stop spinning you're stuck with one color. Has it become dimmer? Lamps get weak with age.

Frustrated DLP Owner
Unregistered guest
hey everyone, now I'm pretty sure that everyone has already answered my question in earlier posts but I can't seem to find it. I've had my TV (HLN4365W) for about 3 weeks and it won't turn on and I've seen what has been dubbed here as the "3 lights of death". I'm calling on monday to get a tech to fix the prob but what do I tell him if he just wants to replace the bulb? I've been reading on here that it could be a bigger issue then that. Thanks.

TexanMojo
Unregistered guest
Ok...after posting the message above...I discovered 1 of the 5 cables for the component connection had been pulled out. Plugged it back in and all is well now.

I have been thrilled with my Samsung ever since it was purchased. Other than my own self induced issue, I have not had a single problem with my DLP. It has been a wonderful TV.

But...with that said...I am glad that I have the extended warranty.

Best of luck to those of you who have experienced issues with your Samsung.

TexanMojo

FYI
Unregistered guest
Most likely, it's just the lamp.

If it doesn't come on, turn it off and wait for the fan to shut off. Then, turn it on. During the first few seconds slap the lamp housing area a couple of times. It will light up. Leave it on 24/7 until the new lamp arrives.

whats wrong ?
Unregistered guest
Update.... The Sammy Tech came out today, I thought maye he'd look at it and have to come back another day. Wrong... He had a new Light engine/ballast with him. Once he was done he sat to make sure it was working properly, he noticed my smudges under the screen. With that he went back to the truck and carried in a new screen. Replaced it and now it's like I have a better than new HLP5063W.

Unregistered guest
Have a HLN507W bought 1/20/4 with 5 year CC warantee. The picture went blank on all i/p's (RF,Composite, S-Video, Component, DVI and PC). When I push the aspect button an upside down backwards poor color pictures pops up. It goes blank after a few minutes. When I leave the system off for a few hours I get a picture (stunning quality, bright) for 10 minutes.

Sound is OK. Can see colors on wall at back where vents are (lamp looks on)

Call CC and emailed Samsung.

Anyone have this.

Username: Alfie

Samsung DLP 5063W - Having trouble with menu options being grayed out (i can't select it). For example, caption is grayed out. Also, i'm only able to get 4:3 and wide for p size. What am i doing wrong please?

FYI
Unregistered guest
You are using component inputs. These are "dumb" inputs, meaning that the set now assumes that the device connected to it will do all the adjusting. I have an SIR TS360 Direct TV Sat receiver connected to my 5063. It has it's own picture sizing features. However, my v-chip, caption, and tint control is grayed out.
If you hook up s-video you will notice that your choices come back. I choose to use the higher picture quality input of components and I don't care if I loose some selectivity. If you are using a cable box you need to access the box's menu and set it to allow 720P and 1080I to pass through it and let your set do the sizing. Same goes for a DVD player. You have to set it's menu to output 16:9. Hope this helps!

Username: Alfie

Post Number: 2
aHA! now i see. your explanation helped a lot. Thanks much.

NJ

Post Number: 9
Pleased to report my repair went well.
I pretty much had the same exact work done as whats wrong ? It took the guy two minutes to replace the screen... No more smudges.. The repair guy said even though they go away once the TV is warmed up, they shouldn't be there at all. He told me Samsung would't allow him to leave without replacing the screen or making an appointment to back at a later date to do so.
Those of you with smudges still under warranty should get the screen replaced.

Klaus
Unregistered guest
Mark:
Do you see any difference in PQ after the screen repair?

NJ

Post Number: 10
It's hard to say since I also had the Ballast/Lamp assembly replaced also.
But the picture is definetly better, my old lamp only 2300 hours on it.
He left me the old screen to discard, so as soon as he left it took it apart. It's only two layers of "whatever" held together with clear tape along the edge of the screen.

Unregistered guest
I bought my DLP on 2/13/05. HLP5063W Samsung. Incredible picture. However I noticed almost immediately smudges on the lower part of the screen. Smudges do disappear after 15 -30 minutes. Called Samsung and to my surprise the phone was picked up immediately. Samsung claimed that there was a period when the unit was built with a missing part !!!! Since I bought this from CC I am still under my 30 days but there is no guarantee that I will get a set that does not have this problem . It sounds like all of them will exhibit this at some point. I am not very happy with the alternative . Taking my TV apart and replacing the screen after 1 week of ownership.

Bronze Member

NJ

Post Number: 11
Nightbreed.
Replacing the screen was really simple, the Tech did it in 2 minutes. Dont exchange the TV since you might have the same result. Get the screen replaced, you wont regret it... Nothing has to be disconnected. No wiring was involved, the old one pops out and the new one pops in.

Username: Ptucker

So how many people have experienced the three lights of death? I just received my HLP4663W back after a two-week repair under warranty. Of course, the repair place didn't fix the problem -- I'm still watching a $3k blank screen.

FYI
Unregistered guest
Almost everyone with a 63 series set has had the lamp replaced with a new Phillips lamp. A few have had the light engine swapped out. All were done in the home and the problem didn't come back.
So, what did they tell you they did? Lamp? Light engine? Nothing? Sounds like they did nothing! There is no reason to have the set removed from the house. Where did you buy? Did you call 1-800 SAMSUNG?

Unregistered guest
Mark,

So you are saying go for the screen replacement and it will not shorten the life of the wheel or the lamp by opening the TV ?.

How does one know that they have the new Philips Lamp my TV was manufactured Nov. 2004.

DId you notice any degradation in picture quality after screen replacement ?

Thank you

Bronze Member

NJ

Post Number: 12
The image is just reflected on to the screen.
The screen is not wired to the color wheel or light engine in any way. To changed the color wheel and Light engine they go through the back of the TV and remove a little door.
The screen just pops out of the front of the TV.
The smudges dont belong there even thogh they go away once warmed up. I look at it this way, if you spent $50 bucks on a pair of jeans and the seam wasn't right I'd return them. Same goes for a 3K $$$ TV set. Anyway my HLP5063W has never looked better. Peace.

FYI
Unregistered guest
That's great news, Mark.
Congrats!

Anonymous

I have had my Samsung HLN5065 for nearly a year and over the past few months, i have had troubles turning it on. It turns on and off, audio only, and eventually comes on after three tries and the lights of death. Finally Monday, it just wouldn't turn on. I pulled out my bill from Future Shop and discovered I had 4 days left on the warranty. A Samsung tech came out yesterday and replaced the entire DND module. (the computer that controls the lamp, fan, etc.) He checked the lamp, that wasn't the problem. Anyway, he told me it was a good thing the tv died before the warranty expired cause the part costs $850. The tech tells me he does nothing but fix the sammy's all day long for the exact same problem. Feeling relieved it's fixed before the warranty ran up, I go to turn on the tv this morning and the problem is back. TV won't turn on, lights of death have return. And I'm fit to be tied. Has anyone else had this problem? Looking specifically for owners who live in the Greater Toronto Area. I'm a reporter for a local TV station and would like to do a story on why Samsung hasn't ordered a recall. Seems the problem is inherent with the DLP's from what the technician tells me

Anonymous

I have had my Samsung HLN5065 for nearly a year and over the past few months, i have had troubles turning it on. It turns on and off, audio only, and eventually comes on after three tries and the lights of death. Finally Monday, it just wouldn't turn on. I pulled out my bill from Future Shop and discovered I had 4 days left on the warranty. A Samsung tech came out yesterday and replaced the entire DND module. (the computer that controls the lamp, fan, etc.) He checked the lamp, that wasn't the problem. Anyway, he told me it was a good thing the tv died before the warranty expired cause the part costs $850. The tech tells me he does nothing but fix the sammy's all day long for the exact same problem. Feeling relieved it's fixed before the warranty ran up, I go to turn on the tv this morning and the problem is back. TV won't turn on, lights of death have return. And I'm fit to be tied. Has anyone else had this problem? Looking specifically for owners who live in the Greater Toronto Area. I'm a reporter for a local TV station and would like to do a story on why Samsung hasn't ordered a recall. Seems the problem is inherent with the DLP's from what the technician tells me

FYI
Unregistered guest
In most cases it's the lamp. In very few cases it's the entire light engine. The replacement lamp is supposed to be a Phillips, not the Toshi. I've never heard of it being a DMD module, unless you mean the "light engine". The tech should have replaced the lamp first, before messing with anything else. Some tech!???

Username: G30

Anonymous,

Go to digitalhomecanada and check out the Samsung forums. Lot's of Toronto related information for you there.

Unregistered guest
I had the lights of death problem and Samsung directed a local repair company to repair it. Although the guy spoke very little English he did get the job done. He replaced the ballast and the lamp. However, now there is a purpleish light emitting from the back of the TV. Is this normal or did the technician install the lamp incorrectly? The purple light actually is pretty intense and projects directly on to the wall behind it. Has anyone else noticed this problem with their DLP?

FYI
Unregistered guest
It's not a problem! You just never noticed it before. There is only one way the lamp fits in. No worries!

purple-light
Unregistered guest
I'm seeing that purpleish lihgt too.
And I sware I didn't see with the original one.
I had the light engine replaced after two weeks of the purchase.
According to the repair report, the light engine
part number is bp96-00822g. I don't know whether
this one is the same as the original one.
Does any one know ?
And, I'm not sure about the picture quality.
I feel I see a little more noise on HD channel.

Anonymous

I might be repeating but did anyone have a problem where the picture came on upside down and backwards. I read it happened to two others but they dropped out of this forum. Any hints?

Bob Moravsik

Anonymous

I might be repeating but did anyone have a problem where the picture came on upside down and backwards. I read it happened to two others but they dropped out of this forum. Any hints?

Bob Moravsik

mjkatz
Unregistered guest
Oh boy! I have just spent the past hour reading all of these horror stories! I am having my HLP-6163w delivered next Thursday and needless to say, I am having major second thoughts.

The people at Sound Advice/Tweeter were trying to talk me into the Mitsu 62725 (for an additional $500) which they say is supperior. It has the 2+ chip rather than the 3 chip. I still have no idea what the difference is!?!

Anyone have an opinion? Stick with Samsung? Switch to Mitsu? I am starting to think it might be better just to draw a picture of a TV on the wall and call it a day. (I'd be $4K richer and have less to think about.)

HELP!

FYI
Unregistered guest
Purple light,

Now, you're a little sensitive to problems. The light was there! HD will not have "noise" as it's a digital picture. If the signal is weak the picture may fragment or the sound will cut out, but noise is out of the question. Digital displays don't get noisy or snowy like your old set.

Bob,

That's a bizarr circumstance. Seems it would have to come from the factory that way as a result of improper assembly.

Mjkatz,

Don't get all freaked out. Mine works fine! Mitsu is not superior to Samsung in my opinion because it has screen glare issues and the new models have an inferior CableCard system riddled with glitches. Yes, the HD2+ chip has a little greater contrast ratio, but my HD3 chip delivers a stunning picture with vivid colors and true blacks. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Arachnid
Unregistered guest
Well, of course none of these helpful posts were available when I bought my HLN507Wx in 9/03.. Purchased from Bjorns (very reputable) and hands down superior technology to the alternatives (plasma, lcd, etc.) mainly IMHO due to screen burn in issues..

But, when I pay $4K for something, and am told that the lamp is rated at 8K hours, which with my habits equates to about five years, I expect it to be true. I don't feel that I should have to pay another $450 to insure what is obviously (now) a lie.

After 15 months of what I consider the most awesome viewing experience and performance I have ever seen from a boobtube, I am now experiencing the 3 lights of death, and am faced with covering my own repair costs. I would warn everyone to buy the ext. warranty, but again, I think that is a bunch of crap.

I'll quit whining now.

I have a tech coming on thursday, who says it's probably just the lamp. The outer appearance of the lamp is fine, and I have disconnected and reconnected it to no avail. I have left the set unplugged for 24 hours and retried to no avail. I haven't beat the thing yet (though tempted), but I guess time tested fixes never fail?? I've been beating on much less expensive sets since I was a kid.

Anyway, I want to change over to the Phillips lamp (currently Toshiba). Does the ballast have to be changed out? What am I into here? I just want to make sure that my next lamp lasts as long as it should.

Any advice is greatly apprectiated and thanks for listening. I still think DLP is the bomb...

FYI
Unregistered guest
Don't let'em overcharge you!

Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 01:16 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The new lamp from Samsung Parts is a Phillips. Here is the link. Put in your model number and click go. On the next page in the bottom box use the pull down menu to select your model number, then click go again. There she is...

BP96-00224J LAMP ASSY./ PHILLIPS PHILLIPS, DLP 6 $199.99

BP47-00008A LAMP-BALLAST PHILIPS 100P/H00,100W $173.33

http://www.samsungparts.com/search/search.asp

fatcat
Unregistered guest
For those of you who are asking about checking lamp hours:

Mute -> 1 -> 8 -> 2 -> Power On

This opens the service menu, go down to OPTION and hit enter. Lamp life is displayed in the following screen. You can also reset the lamp timer here for when you replace it.

This may not apply to all models, but should work for HLM4365W, HLM5065W, HLM437W, HLM507W, and HLM617W.

FYI
Unregistered guest
fatcat,

Thanks for the service menu code.

From an off status, I tried it on my HLP5063W and it works perfectly. I was able to exit the menu by powering off for about a full minute or until the fan kicks off. This must be the code for all Samsung DLP models. Some things in the menu are definitely hands-off, but knowing the lamp use hours and being able to reset the lamp life meter is great. Thanks again!

Joshua1D
Unregistered guest
I have the HLN617W bought in 03', I have my X-Box hooked up into component 2 and that is the only component input it will work in. I just recently bought component cables for my PS2 and it will not work in any component inputs. I either get no signal or not connected. Some help please.

bryman
Unregistered guest
Joshua1D,
Make sure that you are in CMYK mode and in 16:9 mode in your PS2 setup. You can do this by hooking the PS2 via composite, then going into the PS2 setup menu and making these changes. After you save them, shut down the PS2, hook it up via components, and it should work. I hope you don't experience the 1/8-1/4 second lag I did with my HLP5063W, even with components.

Username: Rjmoravs

To continue the saga of upside/down and backwards; a Samsung tech arrived and was surprised at the incident. He indicated the color wheel was noisy (it was whinning very low). He replaced and I noticed the whine went away. He indicated either:
1. The colow wheel stopped and this drove the tv bonkers OR
2. The digital board is bad.
He asked me to leave the set on for 3+ hours. After 7 hours the picture was outstanding as it was at the beginning. If ithappens again he will change the digital board. If that doesn't work, I'll get a new engine. (Another owner with same symptoms got a new picture engine.) Anyway...my set is under Samsung warantee until April 20, 2005 then it switches to the CC plan for 4 years.

Bob Moravsik

FYI
Unregistered guest
Glad he got you up and running, Bob!
The wheel replacement was a sweet bonus!
Hope all is well. Great picture, huh!
Congrats! Enjoy!

Joshua1D
Unregistered guest
Previously, I posted about the PS2 Component cables not working on my DLP, I tried Bryamn's solution and it did not work. So, I'm going to give some more info, when the component cables are hooked up I have no signal and when I turn on my PS2 the Tv will switch to not supported mode, any suggestions?

Joshua1D
Unregistered guest
Above I posted about my PS2 Not working with component cables on my DLP, I tried Bryman's fix but it did not work. When I have the component cables hooked up the Tv reads no signal and then when I turn on my PS2 the Tv reads not supported mode, I have the monster cables, is it the cables, PS2, or the Tv, any suggestions?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 553
Joshua-

Input 1 on the HLN series only accepts 480i/480p signal. Input 2 accepts 480p/720p/1080i. The Xbox by default outputs a 480i signal for its dashboard, which will not show up on your input 2. Go to Xbox.com and it will show you how to switch the Xbox dashboard to 480p so it will work with your set. You might need to briefly hook it up to input 1 so you can see what your doing.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 554
here is the link:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/hardware/DashboardinHD.htm

Joshua1D
Unregistered guest
My Xbox Works fine in any of the inputs it's my PS2 that doesn't work with component cables in any of the inputs, anybody want to take shot my problem. Thanks.

Bronze Member

NJ

Post Number: 13
Joshua, not sure what your problem is. I have the HLP series and my PS2 works on either component jack.
I think my friend had your issue. And if I remember correctly it was the component input on the TV only accepting 480p and above eventhough it said 480i was supported on comp#1. Which lead to him figuring out he had an older PS2, one that was not progressive scan. So the PS2 was putting out 480i and it didnt work on component.. Is your PS@ new and are you certain its progressive scan.
I dont see the guy anymore so I cant ask him exactly what it was.

Nightbreed
Unregistered guest
Well Mark,

The tech came over and replaced my screen on HLP5063W. After that was completed we noticed a rainbow like band on the right edge of the screen . He told me this is a rainbow effect from the light engine. He moved it arround and sure enough it followed the light and not the screen. He said I need to replace the light engine and I don't have one. I said I need to replace the TV . So I went to CC and and asked for a new one . After I showed them the write up for the screen and light engine they said no problem. I did notice though that the picture quality from the new screen is not as good as the original screen for some reason. It had a bit more visible pixelation. It could be my imagination, but I see a difference.

mjkatz
Unregistered guest
I have had my HLP-6163W for two days and it is pretty awesome! And I think I got a pretty good deal from Sound Advice/Tweeter...$2888 (matching BrandsMart).

I could use some help with the color settings... I am not thrilled with the blacks and blues they look a bit off...

Currently I have:

Contrast 100 (per factory setting)
Brightness 40
Sharpness 60
Color 32
Tint 50
And it is set on "warm 1" whatever that is!?!

Does anyone have a suggested setting scheme that would be better??

Thanks in advance!

FYI
Unregistered guest
Contrast 90
Brightness 50-60 depending on room light
sharpness 30
color 45
tint 50 or toward the red a few
Get off of warm and on to normal
I went to "setup" and color weakness and backed off the green a notch as well.

Start from there and adjust color to your liking.
Hope you have a component connection and sat.
The set deserves the best signal source.
Cable varies too much, especially with standard def analog signal.

Great set! Excellent price! Enjoy!

Username: Wezel03

Dallas, Tx Usa

Recently bought Samsung DLP (HLP4663W) from BB w/4year. Watching it every day. Also bought Samsung (DVD-HD841) and using the DVI cable that came with DVD player. Watching NEMO and used the THX config portion of DVD. All has been working great and couldn't be happier until tonight. Image looks not as crisp (lines are choppy, see blue ghosting around the blue fish). When I turn on DVD without disk you can see not a smooth samsung intro screen (i see lines where it should be smooth I believe). I unplugged all components for 5 mins, tried again but to no avail. I checked my DPI settings which is the max (1080), tried the component outputs setting(not as clear but don't see the lines as bad)...using surge protector but have lost power in subdivision twice since having equipment. Not sure what to check or do next to get the crisp picture I believe I once had I also tried my DVD-522 which I have s-video as my input but that looks crappy even with 4:3 setting...something just doesn't seem right...any thoughts?

Username: Wezel03

Dallas, Tx Usa

Post Number: 2
2nd question on my HLP4663W. I have 2 inputs (DVI and HDMI). I'm using the DVI-DVI cable from my Samsung (DVD-HD841) and plan to use the HDMI input for my hopefully soon DishPlayer DVR-921. Is one better over the other or is this a correct config. I understand I will have to get a DVI-HDMI cable since the DVR-921 only has a DVI output

mjkatz
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the help... I will try those settings...

I did notice something strange last night...Around vertically on the left and right side of the screen and across the top there appeard to be a dark streak-like mark? I noticed it on the light bars on the sides and when it was a bright screen across the top?? What the heck is that??? I don't see it on every channel but it was on more than one!!

ALSO, I am having a hard time synching the voice and picture... seems like it is better and worse depending on the source... dvd=pretty bad, hdtv=not so bad (but not perfect) analog cable=also bad... I have all sources going to my surround sound and one to tv... I thought it may have been from the cable DVR but it was worse with a DVD!?!

HELP!

Username: Jjl

San Diego, Ca US

I have a Samsung HLP 5063W, does anyone have set up numbers for video set up

FYI
Unregistered guest
Same as above post!

ted b
Unregistered guest
I have the Samsung HLP4663 and love it-most of the time. I cant seem to adjust it so the scores and subtitles are visible. They are cut off at the bottom of the screen. I am hooked up using Component cabling and don't have options for zoom, etc... My HD box is a Scientific Atlanta. Any help?

FYI
Unregistered guest
ted,

You're in some kind of zoom mode, no doubt.

You're SA set top box has a menu that must be set to pass through the video format for correct sizing by your set. Same with a DVD player. It has a menu that has to be switched to 16:9 for proper viewing. I don't know the remote code to enter the setup of your SA. I've seen it on this forum somewhere, though.

Bronze Member

NJ

Post Number: 14
Here you go TED B

you have the 4200HD , what connection are you using DVI or Component ? You have to run the HD setup Wizard. Try this. With the TV on and the STB off. Simultaneously press "info & guide at the same time. On the STB NOT the remote. use the advanced set up button "B" I think. When it asks you to save resolutions. You have to save 1080i,720p and 480p "STD" only. Exit out to save that. Press settings one I think and select picture size normal. exit out again. Then press settings twice and scroll up until you see picture format, If it doesnt already say AUTO-DVI then change to Auto-DVI and you should be all set.
This feature lets the TV do the 720p conversion and stretches the 4:3 content way better than the STB could ever do... Report back that it worked for you.

Bronze Member

NJ

Post Number: 15
TEB if if youre using component you want to select pass through instead of auto/dvi

ted b
Unregistered guest
TV is on, STB is off. I press info and guide at the same time and screen remains blank (black).

ted b
Unregistered guest
Mark R,

I just checked and i have the Explorer 8000HD SA box. I cant get a menu screen with your previous suggestion.

Bronze Member

NJ

Post Number: 16
thats weird... i have a sa 4200 sa4200hd and a sa8300hd in my house and thats how to get into the HD set up wizard on all of them.. and you presed the buttons on the bos itself NOT the remote ????

ted b
Unregistered guest
yes, exactly as you laid out. Frustrated, i called the local cable company and they were actually helpful this time (last time a total waste). I accessed it from the remote, and fixed my problem. I was set to "4:3 zoom", which i switched to "4:3 stretch". this was under the "aspect" option after i went to the "more settings" option. All seems well, and my picture is like the original hlp5063 that i had (too big for my cabinet). curious why the 50 didnt have this setup problem. Thanks for your help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us