Sony 60XBR950 or 60xs955?

Username: Red1

Post Number: 3
I've been visiting stores lately and after narrowing it down to the Sonys, Samsung 5674 and JVC H-DILA, the Sonys really seem to have a noticeably better pq.

I'd like to know the difference between the 2 sonys and want some on advice in which way to go. I'm a HD rookie so I'm looking to you guys to help me figure out if the added features justify the added cost. There is a huge difference in the retail prices and those at the local stores but the online prices on pricegrabber have them only a few hundred apart. Does that make the XBR the better deal? It's around $3,300 (at Abes of Maine for instance) vs $2970 for the XS. Is there anything that the XBR lacks that the XS has? I don't need the new tv until June when we move into our house so I can wait if prices will drop or if something better will come out in my price range. At the same time I'm ready to buy if I won't same much over the next 2 months.

Thanks,
Dane

Reply to Dane
Unregistered guest

Anonymous

Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 02:30 pm:

SONY doesn't make a DLP...they are LCD!! And YES the lamp went out on ours after about 10 months...also the lamp driver which is a $700 part...still under warranty BUT finding a tech to fix it is impossible! I have the place we bought it and Sony CS involved but no one is doing anything....3 weeks later I'm still waiting.
DO NOT COUNT on Sony for customer service...even if they eventually honor the warranty...it takes forever...meanwhile I have a $2500 paperweight!

ELVIS PRESELY
Unregistered guest
Reply to Dane-ARE YOU ON CRACK?
IF YOU ARE STILL WAITING,AND CANNOT COMMUNICATE WITH SONY,IT MUST BE YOU.
I HAVE FOUND SONY TO BE ONE OF THE BETTER ONES IN THE INDUSTRY,AND WITH THIS KIND OF STORY,I AM SURE THERE IS MORE TO IT THAN YOU ARE TELLING US.

ELVIS PRESELY
Unregistered guest
Reply to Dane-ARE YOU ON CRACK?
IF YOU ARE STILL WAITING,AND CANNOT COMMUNICATE WITH SONY,IT MUST BE YOU.
I HAVE FOUND SONY TO BE ONE OF THE BETTER ONES IN THE INDUSTRY,AND WITH THIS KIND OF STORY,I AM SURE THERE IS MORE TO IT THAN YOU ARE TELLING US.

ogbuehi
Unregistered guest
I don't think the original question was answered. From my research, it seems that the XBR has some slight differences that make it better than the xs models. The xbr has firewire inputs (not much use for those unless you have d-vhs or hi-def camcorder)and more advanced extended bit rate technology. The main thing that drives me mainly for tv's is inputs. There aren't many cheap receivers that do dvi/hdmi switching so I would need the two hdmi inputs on the xs model. For that difference in price I would buy the xbr. The only xbr's I can get in my area are the 70" models which are significantly more expensive the the 60xs. So I'm stuck with having to get the 60xs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us