HD2, HD2+, HD3 chips

Username: K40

Post Number: 3
You guys seem to have some discrepancies in your explanations of these chips. Can someone tell me in one complete post, 1) what the difference technically is between these chips, and 2) which models have which chips, and 3) what these chips have to do with the 6 and 7 segment color wheels?
Need to purchase within 2 months. I need a 50"....Is there a HLP5074 model?

FYI
Unregistered guest
Hi Chloe,

Chips have nothing to do with color wheels.
The six segment wheel runs at 9000rpm.
The 7 segment runs at 10800rpm.
The difference? Some think the faster wheel has less if any "rainbow effect. Truth is, if you don't see'em you won't see'em, no matter which.

Chips:

HD2 This is TI's second generation DLP HD engine with 720 x 1280 pixels. This model is also called referred to as the Mustang DLP chip. It offers better black levels and a better contrast ratio (around 1000:1 when used in a rear projection TV or 2000:1 when used in a front projector) than most LCD projectors, but not as good as the latest DLP engines (see below). The physical size of the image arer of the imaging chip is 0.8 inch diagonal.

HD2+ (Mustang) This is TI's upgrade to their second generation DLP HD engine with 720 x 1280 pixels. The Plus (+) version of the Mustang DLP engine has improved black levels and contrast ratios (around 2000:1 when used in a rear projection TV or 4000:1 when used in a front projector) as compared to the original HD-2 version. Also the associated signal processing electronics have reduced digital noise as compared to the HD2 based designs.

HD3 Although the HD3 is a third generation 720 x 1280 pixels it is not a replacement for the HD2+ series. Rather TI has figured out how to make the imaging chip's overall dimensions smaller (0.55 inch as compared to 0.8 inch with the HD2 series) and at a lower manufacturing cost. The performance in terms of black level and contract ratio (around 1500:1 when use in a rear projection TV) is a better than the original HD2 but is a notch below that of the HD2+. You can expect the see the HD3 light engine in lower cost DLP projectors with the more expensive models using the HD2+ engine.

xHD3 This new light engine is expected to first appear in late 2004 in a 61 inch Samsung rear projection TV. The xHD3 (not be be confused with the lower resolution HD3) will be the first DLP engine to support 1080 x 1920 pixels for the high definition resolution. The xHD3 is expected to be the DLP engine of choice for consumers desiring the best possible performance. The version TI is releasing in late 2004 is designed for rear projectors while a version designed specifically for front projectors may not be released until late 2005 or 2006.

Bottom line? You can't tell much difference from HD2+ to HD3. The 2+ is supposed to have blacker blacks, but I can't tell.

There is no HLP5074. There is a 5063 and 5067.
The 5067 is better for PS2 and xBox gaming.
Both have the HD3 chip.

The 4674 and 5674 have the HD2+ chip. They are the newest available besides the just released 77 models, which are taking their place. The 77's will have un-needed internal digital tuners and the lousy CableCard system. They have the same HD2+ light engine. 74's are less expensive and 63's are the least expensive.

I have a 5063 for almost a year now and I love it. I would have purchased a 5674 if they had been available last spring.

Here are the new ones with xHD3 for those with deeper pockets.

http://www.hwhpr.com/prclients/samsung/ces05/DLPCES05_PR.html

Username: Madmax389

Post Number: 9
Nice post FYI. I also read somewhere, (and I can't find the article) that the HD3 chip is smaller because it is able to project two pixels per micro-mirror. That's why I'm waiting for the 5674 (HD2+) to come down in price (now that the 77's are out) instead of going with the much cheaper 5663.

MadMax

Username: Madmax389

Post Number: 10
Found the article about the HD3 driving two pixels...

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1681205,00.asp

MadMax

FYI
Unregistered guest
Thanks MadMax!

My 63 is holding up real well, though! The picture is fabulous!

I just can't believe they are under $2k now.
The retail last spring was $3499 in brick stores.
I purchased online for $2499 last spring.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us