Difference between standard and digital cable

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 397
Cableguy (and any other knowledgeble person) what is the real difference between standard cable and digital cable? And is the latter qualitatively better?

Bronze Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 36
In our system standard cable is analog (NTSC) and digital is 480p. Yes digital cable is far better then analog, but until they find a way to stop artifacts that are caused by compression of signal, source related issues and making sure your cable company has a clean signal to noise ratio and good RF cable signal strength there will always be an issue with digital "perfect" picture quality. IMHO, analog pictures are ok, digital pictures are much better then analog from a quality and clarity standpoint and of course HD is outstanding (when it's not being upconverted to 1080i). There is a really nice article that was posted on this site, you can see it on this link: https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/products/articles/125179.html

Essentially all the 1's and 0's make up the significant difference between analog and digital cable, there are benefits to sending the picture using digital information and drawbacks (compression and decompression). Hope this answers your question, if not I'm sure you'll let me know lol.

best regards

Silver Member

Post Number: 398
Thanks a lot.

Silver Member

Post Number: 399
Other than expanding recording options, is there any advantage in connecting cable to HD satellite receiver? My HD receiver has connections for cable and over the air antenna.

Bronze Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 40
Can't think of any other then not having to switch inputs so much. By saying expanding recording options, is your SAT receiver DVR? If so, what's the hard drive capacity?

Silver Member

Post Number: 402
Nope. Just HD receiver-have a stand alone DVD recorder. Thanks again.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us