Panasonic DMREH50, any good?

Username: Yo_goeng

Post Number: 2
I've decided to get a recorder with built in HDD, not really sure which one is best, but presumed Panasonic wasn't going to be bad. Kinda want a fairly cheap one and saw the new DMREH50 on their website. Can record both formats which sounds great and has 80GB HDD. But £400!
1. Is it any good?
2. Anywhere I can get cheaper online? (UK)
3. If not, what other ones are good for a first time HDD user?
Many thanks1

Post Number: 3
sorry, another really silly question, if i used EP to record on a 4.7GB disc and lets say it was 8 hours long, that disc is fine to play in other dvd players right? it doesn't have to be another dvd recorder does it? the same with LP for 4 hours... that disc will be fine in most other dvd players right? sorry again, complete novice at this!

Username: Rupert

Edegwater, FL United States

Post Number: 5
YOU R RIGHT

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 798
I never go over 2 hours when recording. 8 hours would be pathetic quality, I can't stand LP myself.

Post Number: 6
i've finally got my machine now, been recording everything in SP mode. in the dubbing menu, if i don't do high speed recording it gives me the option of recording normal speed in SP, LP etc... if i recorded from my video in SP mode and then burned at normal speed in LP, (obviously it would be slow) but would the quality be still as good as SP or will it be degraded to LP?

formerly xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
It will be LP, no free lunch, DVD-r media is dirt cheap these days. Too cheap to not use SP for your archiving needs.

xvxvxvx

Username: Stefano7007

RomeItaly

Post Number: 1
Hi,
I'm writing from rome italy. I bought the same panasonic dmr eh50 unit and I am unable to playback on my Sony DVD player a film I burned from the HDD to +R DVD. I checked the sony dvd player technical specs and it says it is able to playback DVD-RAM, DVR-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD+R. However I tried and it doesnt work. Are there any settings I must change before burning (dubbing) from HDD to DVD. Which blank DVD format is most compatible??? Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 885
Did you finalize the disc?

Post Number: 7
i think when you are burning to dvd on the panasonic you have to use dvd-r discs. you can play dvd+r discs if they were burnt and finalised from another machine (or computer) but use dvd-r discs and should be ok.
(he says, but could be completely wrong!)

RomeItaly

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the help. One last question. What do you mean by "finalize" the disc?? And how is it done?
Thanks again.

Post Number: 8
because you have to use dvd-r discs to record on the panasonic, that disc is not compatible with most other dvd players, so you need to finalise the disc so that it can be played on other dvd machines. once finalised then you can't add any more to the disc though. to finalise you press "function" and go to the bottom "Other" and then "finalise" should be right at the bottom i think.
anything just ask if i can help, but i'm still a novice myself...

RomeItaly

Post Number: 3
Thanks for this extra tip. I'll try again tonight and let you know if it worked out.
Ciao

Username: Jerry0

How many programs can the Panasonic DMR-EH50 be set to record. How far in advance can it be set to program? \
Thanks, Jerry

Unregistered guest
Hi, I've been looking at the Panasonic DMREH80. It seems quite a good product and i have found it for £318 inc UK delivery from Cheapelectricals.co.uk. My main interest is its capability to be used in conjunction with Sky Digital. Apparently you can select progams to record using the Sky menu a bit like sky+. Has anyone any experience of this side of its functionality?
Thanks

squidge
Unregistered guest
Hi, Panasonic DMR EH50 available for £289 including delivery from Multizone and Prodirect on the net.

squidge
Unregistered guest
Hi, Panasonic DMR EH50 available for £289 including delivery from Multizone and Prcdirect on the net, has anybody had any dealings with these companies. Thanks.

Unregistered guest
Hi, not heard of Multizone or Prcdirect but cheapelectricals.co.uk are now offering the DMREH50 for £282.99 inc delivery. They have responded to my questions quite well but I have not taken the plunge yet!

Edfin
Unregistered guest
Hi, I have used multizone three times and found they provide an excellent service

Username: Nickyt

EdinburghScotland

Post Number: 6
R Peach, you asked about using the recorder in conjunction with Sky digital...

I myself have this set-up. I;

o select programs from the Sky program guide to add them to the reminder section. Once in the reminder section, I simply add the 'autoview' option which makes Sky change the channel once the program begins.

o I then set the recorder timer to record the programs at the specified time (I always allow 10 minutes either side as it's easy to trim out the excess and the adverts)

RomeItaly

Post Number: 4
Nicola,
I agree with you. However there is one little problem with the Autoview and that is that once the channel has changed the autoview banner does not dissappear from the screen until after 5/10 minutes. I suppose that is the reason you allow for 10 minutes before?

Username: Nickyt

EdinburghScotland

Post Number: 7
Stefano,

I set the timer this way to ensure I catch any small changes in the showing times.

I would have to set the autoview on an earlier program to make sure I avoided the autoview banner. It's a shame you can't switch the banner off!

Unregistered guest
There seems to be quite a few DMR-EH50 owners out there. Anyone who knows how to make the player region free? Paysites are OK if it's certain that they provide unlocking codes.

Colin Walker
Unregistered guest
I bought a DMR EH50 6 weeks ago. Fantastic, except for the fact that it randomly (about 3*/hour) loses the picture & sound for about 3 seconds a time. Got it replaced yesterday, the new unit does the same!
This happens on DVD, HDD, TV, even pause. It must be in the output because can backtrack on HDD and replay fine.
I'm reasonably sure it's not my TV because I used to have cable plugged into same port and had no problems.
Does any one have any information?

Anonymous

this player is advertised as "multiregion" in most places....has anyone tried playing a non region 2 disc on it? did anyone get it region free out of the box? or does anyone know how to make it region free?

Username: Gi58

Florida USA

Jorge,

On how far in advance you can set the timer:

In the US, the DMR-EH50 uses the TV Guide electronic guide, which shows roughly two days of programming at a time, so we can choose only 2 days in advance. However, after selecting a particular program, it's possible to designate it to be recorded every week.

Using manual programming and schedule information gotten elsewhere (like a paper guide, or a channel's Web site), there shouldn't be any limit as to how far in advance you set to record.

Hope this helps.

RomeItaly

Post Number: 5
Yes, I live in Rome, Italy and have played a non Region 2 on it...a dvd I bought, through the internet, from the USA. I'f I remember correctly it will ask you to manually change the settings from PAL to NTSC. Hope ths helps.

fx
Unregistered guest
In the US, the DMR-EH50 uses the TV Guide electronic guide, which shows roughly two days of programming at a time, so we can choose only 2 days in advance.

It should populate out to 8 days in advance if you leave the unit off long enough.

xvxvxvx

Bronze Member

Florida USA

Post Number: 20
fx,

That's good to know, but how long is "long enough"? The unit has been turned off for as long as 48 hours, but still doesn't show more than 2 days of listings.

fx
Unregistered guest
Guy,

It could be a local restriction however I've chatted with Panny owners all over the US and every location so far if their gude is populated at all they eventually get 8 days worth. Be advised if you happen to have a programmed recording at the same time daily it could be interrupting the guide data download.

If you can stand to do so temporarily disable all your programs in the guide menu for 24 hours or so and see if that helps. The guide data is only broadcast certain times of the day and for different date timeframes within those transmissions.

Let me know if this works,

xvxvxvx

Bronze Member

Florida USA

Post Number: 27
fx,

As of Sunday night, I had several days of programming listed: Mon, Tues, Wed, Sat, Sun. Weird that it skipped Thursday and Friday, I thought. You must be right about my unit recording during times when the guide is being broadcasted. Well, at least I know it really does get more than 2 days at a time.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us