PIP with Digital Cable Box

mills014
Unregistered guest
I have a Samsung DLP 4663 HDTV. I just got Comcast HD digital cable box hooked up today (DCT 6200). However, now I can no longer get my PIP through the TV to work properly. How can I get the PIP to get the signal through the digital box? HELP!!!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 15
You need a two-way splitter and composite video cables. Take the cable from the wall, split it, run one wire back to the RF input on your converter, the other coaxial wire run to your TV's ant. input. Connect the composite wires from the output of your digital converter to a composite input on the back of your Samsung. I don't work for Comcast, so I'm assuming you have composite outputs on your digital converter, and not to insult, the composite connections are yellow/white and red for video and audio.
To use picture and picture, one Picture source needs to be the composite input your digital converter is connected to, the other source needs to be the antenna input on your TV set. Hope this helps

mills014
Unregistered guest
Thanks, Cableguy. Can I split the cable at the cable jack in the wall and simply run one cable directly to the TV (via the VCR so that I can record) and the other into the digital cable box? I have component connections from the HD digital box to the TV, and I'd like to keep them. Would this work instead of using the composite cables?

Bronze Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 17
mills,
You would benefit the PIP proceedure to have the composite wires connected. I'm not 100% about how the Samsung works with one source being component and the other RF. If it works that way, then no need to connect the composite wires. I only say this because I've run across a few TV's that will not work PIP while watching HD.
Question about your VCR, you're running the straight cable to the vcr to record analog, if you run composite outputs through the VCR then on to the TV you can record everything your digital converter lets you see. Not trying to confuse just showing another option.

Bronze Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 19
p.s. yes split the wire at the wall jack

mills014
Unregistered guest
will a 3-way splitter cause a crappy picture? I already split it twice. What kind of splitter do you recommend?

Thanks!

Bronze Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 20
It all depends on how strong your signal is. AIf you can get a splitter from your cable company that would be my strong recommendation. Why do you need a three way?

mills014
Unregistered guest
I need a 3-way splitter b/c of the way the cable is wired in my apt. It goes from the main source to the living room jack and then must be split to go to the bedroom and to the living room. NOw that I want to split the cable in the living room to send one cable to the digital HD box and the other directly to the TV, I'll need 3 splits. Any way to avoid having to deal with Comcast would be a huge plus. They are so unreliable. Any thoughts of something I could buy at a store?

Bronze Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 23
well, what you need is a what I previously posted. Do some homework before you buy. Cheap cables and cheap splitters = picture problems

david11111
Unregistered guest
i want to split cable to go to digital cable box and t.v., so i can get regular broadcast channels to see and record while watching another, and the digital cable box will be plugged in with a/v/cables in tv, will a 2.4ghz splitter work and will i get all the channels ,if i order them,above channels300-900?

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 174
anything over 1 ghz would be sufficient

Anonymous

I have Comcast, do I have to get their digital converter box or can I shop around?

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 197
it's pretty much been established, you can buy an analog converter anywhere available, any digital channels have to be provided by your cable company's converter.

Unregistered guest
I have a two-way splitter, one cable is routed through a digital/HD converter and the other through a VCR. The HD picture is excellent and the picture run the VCR is good. However, the regular digital picture from the digital/HD converter is dark and generally not sharp. Why the dark picture for the digital cable? I have PIP and the comparison and contrast is obvious.

Anonymous

ummm im trying to hook up the tv in my room to cable w/o my parents knowing,, we have 2 other tvs hooked up in my house to cable n the cable modem, wat do i need to do to hook up mines to cable? i already have the chord i jus dont know wat else to do.like wat cable to hook it up to.

Anonymous

You might want to open a book and learn how to articulate your meaning and how to spell instead of covertly undermining your parents authority. I realize you will need to get a dictionary to understand this response.

Unregistered guest
I have comcast digital cable in the livingroom. It is split and ran to 2 bedrooms. Monday I bought 2 new digital cable boxes from comcast but they are not working in the bedrooms. Is this b/c the lines are split. This split was in the apt. when I moved in, so if comcast comes there will I get in trouble for the split? Any ideas on how to make it work without them coming out?

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 502
Something you can do is take the box from the room that is working, and move it to one of the rooms that is not working. If it doesn't work in there, there is a problem with the lines you ran. If the box that isn't working doesn't work in the room where the box was working, you should contact Comcast and ask them to send a hit to the equipment (if that's what term they use to activate a STB) If it still isn't working you'd have to a service call, and depending on how well you ran the line the tech may or may not have anything to say about the way they were run.
hope that helps

Username: Kvisnack

Chicago, Illinois Cook

Post Number: 2
Does anyone know how much better of a picture I will get by going through the HDMI output vs. the Component video output. I just bought an M1 HDMI cord (200.00) but my 6200 does not have the output. Eveyone at Comcast does not know about the 6412 phase 3. Is it worth the wait and frustration.
Thanks

Beto
Unregistered guest
I want to buy a VGA to DVI converter. My Comcast Digital Converter has a VGA output with 9 pins and my HDTV has a DVI input. Will getting it hooked up through the VGA output and DVI input be better than just using composite connections?

Beto
Unregistered guest
also if im gonna connect a vga ouput to a DVI input should i use DVI-I or DVI-D

Stephen Rogers
Unregistered guest
I have a Sony set top box and an old video recorder with a scart cable and an old tv with a scart cable and a dvd player also with a scart cable etc. Presently, they all run through a switching scart box. This works fine.

How can I record from the set top box or any connected source? The video has previously been set up for UK terrestrial channels, but I don't know how to 'find' the set top box on the video. I'm a complete novice - can anyone help?

Many thanks,

Stephen Rogers

Username: Bduval56

Fairport , N.y. U.s.

Post Number: 1
I've got an Zenith HDTV and can't hook up my P.I.P .I've run my cable to a splitter from there to my digital box and my T.V. but where does the out cable from the digital box hook into,there's no other hookup on the back of my T.V. for a cable or antenna .
Any help would be great
Thanks
Buz
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us