New family TV - reccommendations?

Bronze Member
Username: Decker

Post Number: 54
Alright, so my parents have decided to buy a new TV for our family room. 32-inch or a little smaller. We don't need HDTV as I've tried it and I dont care very much, and I'm the pickiest one. Anyways, I was thinking about maybe an LCD as (this is basically all I know about them) we'd only ever have to replace the bulb.

Right now,
Budget: maybe $800
Size: 32"
High def: doesn't matter
Side speakers: preferably not, better on bottom or top
Can't be wider than 31" horizontally, as this is the space we have to move it through (on the TV stand).

We've had the same 19" low-def magnavox for over 25 years, so I don't think any of us have had a taste of how long a normal TV lasts. Preferably, they will never have to buy one again for at least 15 years or so. But I really don't know how big of request that is.

What kind of TV should we get?

Bronze Member
Username: Videoguy

Post Number: 15
A Budget of $800 pretty much rules out an LCD. Prices for 32-inch LCD TVs start at about $2,000 and go up from there! If the cabinet you are putting it in is a regular entertainment center made for a standard CRT TV then I would suggest just sticking with CRT and since you don't care for high-def your $800 can really go far, there is still plenty of good standard-def CRT TVs out there, just do you homework and read LOTS of reviews before deciding on anything. Hope that helps.

Bronze Member
Username: Decker

Post Number: 55
What are typically the most long-lasting brands?

Silver Member
Username: Vindsl

Post Number: 160
"What are typically the most long-lasting brands?"

Ah... the eternal question! Personally, the only TV's I've had problems with were made by Thomson Electronics. Specifically, I had MANY problems with my GE and RCA TV's. I'll never again buy anything made by Thomson of France! The last great idea to come out of France was when Napolean was still alive!

As far as a nice looking, regular ol' 32-incher goes, I have a JVC that I'm very pleased with. It's hard to believe it's 4 years old already. Still looks like brand new!

When I was looking around for a '32', it was sort of a toss-up between Sanyo (belch), Toshiba, and the JVC. The picture on the Sanyo was nice, but the exterior looked very Wal-Mart'ish, you know? The picture on the Toshiba looked a bit washed out, for my tastes, but it was something I could get used to very easily. I loved the JVC. It had an excellent picture, nice cabinet, yada, yada. And, so it went...

I happened to run across a smoking deal at Fry's Electronics, on the JVC - some overstock thingie, or whatever, so I pounced on it; couldn't be happier.

Anyway, although I haven't really looked into 32-inch CRTs for a couple of years, that would be my suggestion... JVC, Toshiba, or Sanyo.

Bronze Member
Username: Videoguy

Post Number: 16
I have a 25 inch Sanyo from guess where? Wall-mart! LOL and I too agree that the case looks cheap but the picture is pretty good for a low priced TV and I have owned it for 6 years and have never had to have it repaired.

Username: The_nerdly_guy

Post Number: 2
I found a great article series at TechLore ( www.techlore.com ) that should help you with your decision. Here's a link to the article: http://www.techlore.com/article/10497/
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us