DVD Recording question??-Problems in the picture....

Username: Humanpole

Post Number: 3
I've finally got my DVD recorder set up and I'm starting to record my home movies from my canon DV recorder onto DVDs. It's awesome! The only problem i am having, and I am really hoping that some of you knowledgeable people can help me out is, when I record onto DVD's (I'm recording in the HQ mode) I am getting these random boxes that record in the picture. They're square in size and they kind of distort or pixealate on the screen? Has this ever happened to anyone and would you know what I might be doing wrong?? Could it be bad DVD's?-They're Memorex DVD+R's??

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer to me.

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 786
Poor quality media or too long record speed is more than likely the problem. I don't know what HQ mode is, but I never go over 2 hours when recording. Memorex uses many different companies and media codes for their discs, they don't actually make discs, some are good, some aren't.

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the reply David. HQ on my recorder stands for High quality, one hour record time. The next level is SP and that would give me 2 hours of record time. It's not a high end DVD recorder, (Maxent RS215) but it got good ratings so i decided to try it. Maybe I'll try to buy some new discs since the record time I've got it set at should not be an issue, since it's only an hour per recording...

Thanks again. Any recommendations for good quality DVD+Rs??

Silver Member

Post Number: 788
I don't use + discs, but Taiyo Yuden discs are generally considered the best discs. Best Buy has Fuji discs once or twice a month for $20/50, if you get spindles that say made in Japan they are TY. Don't get the made in Taiwan Fuji discs, they are Prodisc, which used to be excellent discs, but since they quit making 4x discs alot of people have been having problems with them. Best Buy has Verbatium this week for $20/50, they are generally considered high quality media too.

Silver Member

Post Number: 789
BB also has TDK $10/25, those should be good discs too.

Post Number: 5
Great tip.

I just checked my Memorex DVD's and they're made in Taiwan. I'll find some made in Japan discs and give them a shot.

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 358
David. YOU THE MAN!!! You're one of the few people in this entire forum that consistently gives good advice. I must tell you that some of the contributors' advice could really hurt prospective purchasers. As an example, I just came from the speaker forum where a poster recommended ignoring speaker frequency response specs and purchasing speakers on the physical dimensions.

Silver Member

Post Number: 790
All made in Taiwan media isn't bad and not all made in Japan is good. Usually Japan is better though. I think TDK has gone to Taiwan, but it's still considered one of the better brands. If you have a burner in the PC you can load a disc in it and get the media code with DVDInfoPro, or DVD Decrypter, that will tell you who actually makes the disc. Media codes are like brand and model numbers for discs.

Jay Mac
Unregistered guest
Dave,
Try changing your recording filter setting. My recorder has "normal" and "sports" filter setting for recording. I had a similar problem (in one hour mode also) and changing the filter to the "sports" mode helped clear up the recording quality a bit. I also use Memorex DVD's and a Philips DVDr-75 recorder (hoping to upgrade soon). Good luck.

Username: Dalex

Post Number: 1
I've burned about 100 disks using two Panasonic DMR-55E. I use Memorex and Sony media and I record in the two hour mode. On about twenty percent of my recording during playback I will experiece skipping which get worse over five or tens minutes until it freezes. This is usually about one hour into the recording. I get the same result in any dvd player or recorder that I try them in. Any idea's????

Silver Member

Post Number: 851
Some memorex discs are good and some aren't, same thing with Sony. Problems like that are usually media related, try different discs. Circuit City has TDK $8/25 this week, they should be good discs. Best Buy has Fuji discs once or twice a month $20/50, if you get spindles that say made in Japan they are TY discs, good discs. They have them this week, but the ad says +R, I don't know if they would have they -R or not, usually it's both.

Unregistered guest
I have a Sony SLV-5500 DVD/VHS recorder. This is
my third unit. I like to be able to record and
edit my disc so I use Memorex DVD-RW disc. These
disc will sometimes make my recorder go nuts and
lock right up. At first I thought it was the
recorder. Then I spoke to my local Radio Shack
owner and he tells me that the -RW disc are prone
to cause problems. Can anyone advise me as to why
this is?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1184
Scrap the Memorex discs and try Fuji. $10 for 5 discs at BB.

Unregistered guest
when trying to burn my camcorder video to dvd disc i am getting good picture but no sound have tried diferent settings and used other programs for this but still have same problem with sound would be gratefull for any help.

Bronze Member
Username: Fnegroni

Berkshire United Kingdom

Post Number: 23
How did you connect the camcorder to the DVD-recorder? Standard analog (composite/s-video) or Firewire?
I have a philips dvd writer, and use philips dvd+r's exclusively, and use quality between 1H to 8H on a single DVD, and never had that problem.
The blocky picture you describe seems more likely to come from the camcorder itself: sometimes DV tapes get dirty/corrupted.

Username: 2lman

Post Number: 1
I'm starting to record my home movies from my Canon ZR20 Mini-DV recorder onto my Liteon 5005 DVD recorder using a firewire connection but I've noticed that when using this, the time & date of recording that normaly would appeare if I was using a composite connection is no longer there (without changing any settings on either devices). The difference in quality is noticably different between the two types of connection but having the time & date is also important to me, I'm hoping to get the best of both worlds. My mini-DV's are recorded in 1 hour mode and I'm using Maxell DVD-R in the recorder. Can anyone advise me as to why this is and of a possible solution?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations you might be able to offer to me
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us