DVD Player Hookup to TV, VCR, and Dish Network.

Closed: New threads not accepted on this page
  Thread Last Poster Posts Last Post

Closed: New threads not accepted on this page

Anonymous

David, thanks for the info on 11/6. I didn't give enough information to you. Heres the deal, GE TV with only one "F" connector input. I compensated with a RF Modulator for the connections. Zenith VCR/DVD(real panel connections are an Ant.in,RF out(dvd/vcr out),vcr in line 1,DVD/VCR out, Component progressive scan video out, audio out. Want to connect the Direct tv satellite dish to the tv and combo dvd/vcr to record the local and satellite channels. Please help.

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 436
The satellite should connect to the VCR with RCA jacks. To hook everything to the TV you need an A/B switch, or a video switcher. Hook the DVD player to the modulator, then take the outputs from the VCR and satellite and run them into an A/B switch or a video switcher, then hook the output from the switch to the modulator. Then you will just have to select whichever source you want to watch.

Anonymous

try running your satellite rg6 cable to the sat receiver, then run a jumper rg6 from the out to tv line to a dbs splitter 1in/2out, or more out for more equipment, run the rg6 from the splitters to the other components i.e, splitter to t.v, splitter to vcr splitter to surround sound etc etc,you may need to buy an a/b switch to choose from dvd or vcr play, if all else fails, lay the components out, and draw yourself a diagram of what you want to use and hook it up accordingly, if you have any mechanical abilities youll figure it out.

Username: Shortcake_15542

Post Number: 1
How do I hook up a tv, satellite receiver, vcr, dvd player and an rf module. The tv has a single connection in the back for antenna in.

Username: Mickeymouse

Gorham, Maine Usa

i have a dvd player and i do not know how to hook it up and i need an owners manual i just got it first dvd player it is a apex ad-1110w

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 267
Theresa, have you tried manufacturer's website?

Cheers
AL

delta
Unregistered guest
In response to herbert w armstrong.
Getting out in the world more is what made me buy a dvd player and want to retreat to my house. It's cruel out there.

Scott Shafer
Unregistered guest
Here is some info I pulled up. It seems like a good deal:

I thought you would like to hear about the excellent online offer I found for a Free Satellite TV System Installation! Get a SATELLITE TV SYSTEM with up to FOUR RECEIVERS and FREE INSTALLATION when you sign up for service with Dish Network! There is no equipment to buy! The offer even includes free HDTV equipment and Digital Video Recorders! You'll get up to 256 channels of CD quality sound and picture for LESS than you pay for cable TV! Monthly rates start as low as $29.99. You can order online and schedule your FREE INSTALLATION from Dish Network at:
http://www.vmcsatellite.com/?aid=131685

TNdude
Unregistered guest
I have a Koss DVD player I am hooking that I want to hook up to a tv that only has coax... I have hooked it through a philips directv receiver so I can run the red, white and yellow cables from the dvd to the dtv receiver.. then the coax from the out part of the dtv box.. I can see dtv but cannot see the dvd.. ok.. is this possible to do or do I need an RF modulator?

Thanks in advance....

Unregistered guest
I have a vcr and dvd how do I connect to play dvd
on t.v?

Isobel
Unregistered guest
I have a Sony flatscreen TV with 2 Skart sockets
A Sony Satellite dish and a VCR (all connected to each other so they work just fine!)

Then I buy a Matsui DVD 100 Recorder.... and it is driving me mad, connecting and disconnecting things to make the DVD record, (and looking endlessly at forums) Incidentally it is PLAYING DVDs brilliantly.... and I know it is also capable of recording on my setup
I DID actually make the Matsui record ONCE, so I know it can.... didn't realise till I looked at the CD that it had actually worked ONCE! and I must have changed something, because it's back to not working again.

PLEASE! PLEASE! SOMEONE! Please could you tell me what I must do to add this DVD recorder to the set up. What I want it to do is ... record some of my old VHS tapes to DVD before they go west.

(I have Skart sockets on the TV, Satellite receiver, one on the VCR and 2 on the DVD... do Skarts work as any kind of connection?)

Please help me. I am hopeless at these things!

Unregistered guest
can you help me? I have a saterlite system,surround sound system with built in dvd player and a recorderble dvd player.Can you tell me how to connect it up.

jadedheart
Unregistered guest
I have a GE tv..only cable connection..nothing else..I have a vcr and I want to hook up my new dvd player..there is only a coaxil connection on the tv...what would help me hook up to this older television...?
thanks ahead of time and I apologize for my unknowledgeable presence :-)

Shamu
Unregistered guest
I have Direct TV. Cannot record channel above "100". Do I need a new VCR? Any recomendations for a VCR? Which models will can record above "100"?

boomcjjckkjckjckjckjc
Unregistered guest
blow up your television sets.

Unregistered guest
i have a 52" samsung tv. and lost papers to hook up surround sound . iam trying to go from my sony resever. i have a dvd and a cd player, but no sound from speakers ? if ya can help me . thank ya

Unregistered guest
i need help hooking up my vcr to my sattelite so than i can record.. please email me .. strikers_rock@hotmail.com with the answer

Unregistered guest
Hello, can someone please help us?
We just got Cox Cables' Digital Video Recorder 8300 Standard model today. We also bought the Innovative Technology 5.1 Channel Home Theatre. We cannot figure out how to connect the Cox DVR, Home Theatre, Apex TV, KLH DVD player and Emerson VHS player up.

Currently we have the tv, DVD and DVR hooked up and it's working fine. We can't seem to figure out the home theatre system along with everything else.

If you have any ideas, please let me know. Also, I went to Cox Cable's website and they only show connections one way or the other, not everything together.

Thanks, Shana

Unregistered guest
Hi,

We just bought a Toshiba 32" HD tv, and A Toshiba home theater with dvd and vcr, and all was working well...til the Dish Network guy cam and connected the satelite dish.. and by passed the home theater all together....we've tried and couple different ways and can not get the sound to come through the speakers.. There are 2 sets of rca on the TV and 1 set on the dish box and 1 set on the home theater...we have the Monster surge with an in/out cable (dish guy said not to use)
All I'm looking for is a basic schematic, so that we can have sound through the new speaker system and record off the vcr....
Thanks for any help that may come!!

devbud
Unregistered guest
Dish & antenna to sat. rcvr. : sat rcvr to splitter, splitter to DVD/VCR, and splitter to TV all by coax. DVD/VCR to tv by RCA, cannot display DVD/VCR on TV, toggling between tv and vcr on remote does not help, no switch on back of DVD/VCR. Help?

corker
Unregistered guest
Help!!
Is there a way to hookup a tv, dvd/home theater, sat. receiver to a dvr tivo system.

Username: Jean

American Fork, Ut USA

We have had dish for about 2 months and I have not
figured out how to record from the TV (dish) to my VCR. The installers came out and told me it was all set to record but I still can't figure out how to do it. Can anyone please explain to me how to do this. I can watch the VCR through the Satelite, I just can't record.

Anonymous

Hi new to this forum. Life was simple when all I had was a satellite, TV, and VCR. Now I have a home theatre system, which I just purchased, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to hook it all up. This discussion thread seems to be very helpful so I am asking for HELP.

System components:
Satellite
Samsung VCR
Toshiba TV - with/s-video in
audio and video in
audio and video out
Panasonic SA-HT700 DVD Home theatre sound system

I want to be able to hook up the VCR to play and record from the TV. Also I want to be able to run the TV through the sound system.

I would really appreciate some help, whatever you can give.

Thanks

Jacob

Unregistered guest
I have a new Yamaha HTIB, 6.1 Surround sound, Satellite system fron Direct TV, Combination DVD/VCR from Samsung, Hitachi 52" 4x3 TV. Need to know how to hook up the combo unit to the receiver, TV etc to be able to take advantage of the surround sound. Current problem, lousy picture, no sound or great sound, no picture. I have hooked up every concievable combination of didital ooax, component cables, etc without acceptable results. Frustration runs off the scale. I know it cannot be that difficult. Any help out there. Thank You.

SDunlap
Unregistered guest
Is it possible to hook up a dvd player to a TV/VCR combo? It is hooked up to Dish Network, but I want to add a dvd player.

Silver Member
Username: Dirtfarmer

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 423
hello
for any one that what to know more then then ther really need to about setup for dvd vcr etc
go here
Message Board: Home Theater: Home Theater Setup & Planning: The ultimate theatre setup guide

Use this link to go directly to the discussion:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/113395.html

Username: Yellowbug

Please if anyone could help me. I have a cyberhome 1530 dvd recorder and dish satellite and a Sanyo tv. I have tried many times unsuccessfully to hook up these 3. I need help hooking these up before I open the door and take a sledge hammer to all the pieces. none of the directions work.

Silver Member

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 456
Linda Kemp

Unregistered guest
Please tell me how to hook my dvd player to my vcr.

Thank you,
Beverly

Silver Member

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 461
Beverly
go here

all you need is the 3 rca audio/video plug the yelloe red white one and put one in to the input of one machime and output of the other
you choise which one you what to make the first in line

Unregistered guest
I have a Mitsubishi TV & dish network, trying to hook up a dvd, vcr recorder, can play a vcr tape but can't record a dvd or dub from one to the other.

Silver Member

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 513
one reason if you are trying to copy a dvd to vcr and it a video, it will not do it as it procted by macovision
go her for some good info
Message Board: Home Video: VCR: Copy DVD to VHS
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/10082.html

and as for hook updish is first hook to one of your machine then tv
her sone site that may here you

Message Board: Home Theater: Home Theater Setup & Planning: The ultimate theatre setup guide

Message Board: Home Theater: Home Theater Setup & Planning: Connecting receiver,tv,vcr,dvd & satellite together
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/123967.html

Unregistered guest
In need of big time help getting all things connected. This is what I have dish sat., Sylvania TV, Funai VCR, Apex DVD Recorder (DRX9200) and inside antenna box. I want to be able to record from dish and I also want to transfer videos to dvd's (out of space to store the videos). Purchases an RCA Video Source Selector and the only thing that works is the TV. I need very complete and precise directions. It should be painfully obvious that I haven't a clue what I'm doing -- can anyone help me PLEASE!!!!

Silver Member

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 522
gloria poff

just read some of the above link

Username: Shartee

Post Number: 3
Hi Arnie,
I've been checking your posts along with all the information on "how to connect what" but I have either missed or can't find what I need.

We have the following;
Digital Cable
HDTV 50" Samsung
Digital Cable Box (from Cable Co)
DVD Player
XBox Game Box
Surround Sound System

When we have the DVI/HDMI cable as the feed from the cable box to the TV we do not get any picture (it looks scrambled) but we do get audio.

When we use use the component cables we get a picture but it's not a very good one.

Was told the DVI/HDMI cable would eliminate the need to unhook cables in order to play XBox game.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Unregistered guest
I have a Sony HT-DDW660 Home Theatre System with reciever and a phillips DVD player and I want to know how come my audio sounds great and loud with the radio to the max but when I have my DVD playing and the sound to the maximum it dosent sound loud still it is not as loud as It should be. I just dont feel I have connected it right or maybe with the right equpiment...If the DVD Surround could sound just as good as the radio that would be awesome.

Silver Member

Post Number: 676
DVDs generally have lower audio level than most other sources.

Unregistered guest
HELP ME!!!! I need help so bad. I'm trying to hook up my TV, VCR, DVD, STEREO, and satelite. I'd love to be able to record off my satelite onto my vcr and I really want to be able to hear it all through the surround sound.I don't understand much on these things so bare with me.

Silver Member

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 568
Jeannine

check this site that i started for a lot of chart and other stuff see it that can not help you understand a lot about hook up
belive me i know it can be a mess, it depend on what you trying to do
give the site a try

Unregistered guest
arnie

thanks for trying but it really didn't help much, mostly because i don't know the proper names to things. My goal was to be able to set everything up so that if i'm watching a dvd or a vhs or tv that it would end up coming throught my stereo. But i would also like to be able to record from the tv. I don't have cable, tivo box or an RF modulator. At this point I'd just be happy to be able to tape shows on the vcr from the satelite that is the most important part at this time. I've got lots of the red,yellow,white cords. Even a red,white one that splits but I'm lost. I don't even know what an av receiver is and i've been reading it everywhere. I think i'm just in over my head. thanks anyways.

Silver Member

Post Number: 688
Run the RCA jacks from the satellite to the in on the VCR, then set the VCR to line to record. There is usually an input button on the remote, if not line will be after channel 2 when going down on the channels. You don't say what inputs the TV has, so that's about all I can give with the limited info.

Unregistered guest
thanks that was fast. the RCA jacks are the red,yellow,white ones? And there is a input button, it turns the screen blue. So i need to put it there to record from the satellite? And i can't really tell you whatinputs the tv has because i don't know what they are called but I'll give it a shot. Under the heading input going straight down theres a s-video, then yellow white red. then beside those theres a heading audio output and it has white red. then theres the regular cable one. Now my vcr has the red,yellow and white holes in the front as well as the back and the in and out ones. Not sure if that helps you to help me but I tried. thanks for trying to help.

Silver Member

Post Number: 689
Use the RCA jacks, yellow, white, red from the satellite to the VCR in then set the VCR on line 1 if you connect them in the back. Then use the same jacks to the TV and set the TV on the input the jacks are on. You will have to have the VCR on to watch the satellite, just don't keep a tape in the VCR and you'll be fine.

Unregistered guest
thank you so much for dumming it down for me. I actually understand now. Been trying all day, thanks for ending the frustration. I would have never figured it out because of the input button on the remote, didn't even know what that was for. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!

Unregistered guest
Hi, we have a 2001 36 inch screen Apex television. We've lost the manual. A friend was messing around with the cable and tv remotes. A large red key symbol poped up and now my tv controls (direct and remote) won't work and I'm blocked from my cable. Any ideas or anybody out there with an Appex TV manual who could look this up for me?

Silver Member

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 569
jonie
http://www.apexdigitalinc.com/

i think this is the home page your co..
is it spelled apex i think maybe

you can creata a account ther and register you machine and ask service any question you what to

Silver Member

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 570
jonie
all so
i found this, if the x co name is correct that is
Q: I cannot find my Apex television manual. Where can I get one?
A: You can purchase a new manual by calling us or emailing customerservice@apexdigitalinc.com
Many of our manuals are available for download.
Check the availability by browsing our product specification pages for your specific model.

found on page

http://support.apexdigitalinc.com/faq.asp?category=Televisions

Jonie
Unregistered guest
Thankyou Arnie! Exactly the info. and web site I needed. Husband was ready to thro the TV thru a window. You saved the day. Thanks again.

Unregistered guest
Hey all, We just purchased a JVC 32" tv. We have RCA Sat., and DVD, VCR. I am totally lost and can only hook up the tv to the sat., the red,white, and yellow cables hook into the back of the new tv somehow??? We tried several ways but, no Picture.What are we doing wrong and if you could just let me know this coax to this and maybe I can follow it..

Silver Member

Post Number: 722
Connect the satellite to the VCR with RCA jacks and set the VCR to line. Then connect the VCR to the TV with RCA jacks. Connect the DVD with the component jacks if the player and TV have them, if not use an s-video cable. You have to set the TV on whatever input you connected the VCR and DVD player to. To get stereo audio from the satellite you will need a stereo VCR and will have to have it on to watch the satellite. Just don't keep a tape in the VCR and you'll be fine. Using coax will result in an inferior picture and mono audio.

Anonymous

I just purchased a Sony Wega TV and I have a RCA dvd player with component output. I am trying to hook the dvd player up via the component output and get video but no sound. Please help.

Unregistered guest
Help Please.
I have a 52" GE TV, Dish Network, DVD/VCR Combo Unit and a Yamaha 5.1 Surround Sound System. From the cable comming out from the wall, I put this into a splitter, one cable went to the satellite, the other to the DVD. The DVD player is clear and OK, but when you turn to Satelitte channels, the picture is fuzzy. DO I need to run AV cables, S-video directly to TV?????? I have bought monster cables, Digital Audio cables, i have not hooked these up yet either.
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 766
Get rid of the splitter. Hook the satellite to the VCR with RCA jacks and set the VCR to line. Connect the VCR to the TV with RCA jacks and the DVD with component cables if it has component inputs, if not use an s-video cable. You will probably want to connect the satellite to the TV with coax too, so the VCR doesn't have to be on to watch the satellite.

carrier59
Unregistered guest
David,

Just wanted to make sure that you know that the DVD and VCR are 1(one) unit.

So I should do the following(just so i know what to get)
1. RCA jacks from back of DVD/VCR unit to SAT. Then set the unit for VCR side to LINE.
2. Connect VCR to TV with RCA jacks.
3. DVD side, should i use the monster video or S-Video cable? This will go from back of DVD/VCR unit to TV as well?
4. The coax cable from sat to TV, is that just a cable wire or something different?

Thanks for your help.
Sorry for being a pain with not knowing much about the wiring terms.

Silver Member

Post Number: 769
The DVD should connect with the 3 RCA component jacks if the TV has component inputs, if not an s-video cable. The RCA jacks from the Satellite go to the in on the VCR. The coax is the black cable from the cable box and is so you won't have to have the VCR on to watch the satellite. If the satellite has 2 sets of outputs and the TV has enough inputs then use RCA jacks or an s-video cable from the satellite to the TV. Coax will result in mono audio and the picture won't be as good, better than having to keep the VCR on with a combo, they have enough problems without being on all the time.

Anonymous

I recently bought a DVD recorder to which I wish to connect up to my existing system comprising of the following -
VCR, satellite receiver, and TV.
I wish to connect the new device such that the new set-up will function together.
The existing system is functioning properly.
Regards.

Anonymous

i have a tv with 2 scart sockets, a digital receiver with 2 scart sockets, a dvd recorder with 1 scart socket, a pioneer amp withoout scart, numerous audio connections and surround sound. it all looks a mess and i am f&$%@{ anyone know how this spaghetti is supposed to make sense please

Unregistered guest
Trying to figure out how to hook up Apex dvd player to RCA tele. We have Dish Network as well. We had no trouble before with hooking up dvd to tv with cable but the satellite has put a whole new spin on it. Any help would be appreciated and would rank you up there as the next best thing to sliced bread!

Silver Member

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 581
LC68 and Anonymous

please give this site a look to see if it can answer some of your question

Username: Shimmasok

Hi i'm trying to hook up a dvd/vcr combi and an ntl (satellite) box to a tv with one scart socket, is this possible? i want to be able to watch the cable channels while recording the tv channels. All i can manage is getting the tv channels on L1 and cable on L3 so i can only record one! i've tried tuning the vcr in via the ariel but the picture quality is crap if i manage to get it and with the set up i got it with i was unable to play the videos back without changing a scart over! help!!! pleasr e-mail if you can: dj_johnnyr@hotmail.com thank you in advance, tried this for 4 hours today :-(

Silver Member

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 592
John theman

i would forget scart, and go a differnt way
for a a little info go here

Unregistered guest
I have dish network,phillips dvd, 27"tv. i'm trying to hook all up to rf, modulator.

Silver Member

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 595
wendell hamm

dvd to rf mod to tv and hook cable to dvd

here two site that will explain it in alot more detail

Message Board: Home Video: DVD Players: Connect older TV to DVD, VCR & Digital Cable Box using RF ModulatorUse this link to go directly to the discussion:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/16195.html

Unregistered guest
I have a Sylvania Superset TV that went to 125 channels. Now it will only to 67 channels. How do I reprogram it to go back to the 125 channels.

Thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 821
Set the antenna/cable setting in the setup menus to cable.

Unregistered guest
I have a cable box, Sharp TV, vcr, dvd player and dvd recorder. How do I hook them all up? All the items are relatively new, with the exception of the vcr (has yellow & white inputs & Coxial)

Please help

Silver Member

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 599
MissGee

go her for for chart that can help and explain a lot

Username: Chase_patton

Boulder city, Nevada Usa

i am trying to hook up a vcr to a tv so i can record a show. do i need the red, white, and yellow chords to do this?

Username: Chase_patton

Boulder city, Nevada Usa

Post Number: 2
i need to know asap so please respond back to my question above

Silver Member

Post Number: 856
Yuu give no information what you are trying to record from.

Unregistered guest
my vcr remote turns on the tv when i hit the vcr button. how do i make it stop? rca vr706hf

Unregistered guest
hi,ican record movies from hbo to my pvr on the sat receiver, but can't record them to my dvd recorder. if the movies are protected, is their a way i can still record them. thanks, i really need help.

Silver Member

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 614
debbie w
how are you try to record dvd to you dvr, please give more info on how you are trying

Username: Mastro

I am in the need of some help!!!! I have an older Magnavox tv (lost the remote control), this tv has only one connection in the back of it. I have a cable box (Scientific Atlanta-Explorer 2100) and a home theater system w/dvd player (AMW T365 5.1 Sound system). I did purchase a rf modulator (because I knew I would need one with there only being one conn. in the back of the tv) but I thought I had everything hooked up correctly but when I play a dvd the sound is great and it is in surround sound but there is NO picture coming up on the tv, just what's on tv regularly!!! I don't know if my red/white/yellow is correct or not. It is probably something minor that I am overlooking, but I can't figure it out!! I am usually good at these things. Please help me before I toss it all out the window, it would be greatly appreciated. Email me back at cmastrogi@aol.com Thanks in advance!!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 969
Is the TV on channel 3 or 4? If you have the yellow composite cable from the video on the DVD to the modulator it is right. The modulator could be defective, the video cable could be bad too, try another one.

Silver Member

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 615
Christina Mastrogianis

if you had a newer tv remote there have a button called tv video on it that change mode for viewing dvd which is very differnt from viewing vcr t ape or cable, thay if the tv was able to in the first place
all so
here a good spot for reading

Message Board: Home Video: DVD Players: Connect older TV to DVD, VCR & Digital Cable Box using RF Modulator

Debbie30113
Unregistered guest
I purchased a VCR/DVD Combo (Philips). It is correctly hooked up to the TV and Dish Network SAT box and works just fine. However, here is my problem. I can't get any of the 3-digit codes I enter in the VCR Setup menu for the SAT to recognize the VCR. I need to do this so that I can record from the SAT menu instead of through the VCR menu. One of the 3-digit numbers listed in the Dish Network book will stop the VCR and rewind (during the test), but will not start it to play. I have to start it to record from the front of the VCR and then the Dish will stop it at the end of the program.
I called both Philips and Dish Network. No help. The second tech at Dish Network said it doesn't work that well with the combo sets because the remote is a universal remote. I don't trust his answer.
So, after this long-winded question, can you tell me if it is possible to control a combo vcr/dvd from the Dish Network menu or should I take the combo unit back to the store and buy separate vcr and dvd players? If it is possible, how do I make it work since none of the 3-digit codes work?
Thanks for your input

Silver Member

Post Number: 979
Probably not, combos use different codes than seperates. If dish network didn't put combo codes in, it won't work.

Unregistered guest
HELP!!!!!!. I have a older Magnavox tv, dish tv,vcr, & dvd-rw/player. I am trying to hook them all together. I also bought an rf modulator because of the age of my tv. I am not able to get it so that I can see what I am playing on the dvd rw/player. I am just looking for a simple diagram to show me how to hook it up. I originally went into dish receiver then into dvd, then into vcr then into tv that did not work. Then I reversed it that also did not work. At one point I could get sound but no pic. If anyone has any suggestions I would sure appreciate it.

Unregistered guest
I have a new Toshiba 36" HDTV and a 4 year old Sanyo DVD player that worked fine until I just got Dishnet. Now when I play a DVD the Screen comes on and says "region unknown" in the corner and some DVD's will play and some say "not formated for this region". They played fine before and never said anthing about a region in the corner of the screen. The DVD's all say region 1 one the box. Can you help or explain?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1084
You could try to reset it, how to do it is different on each player. Try pressing each button on the player for about 10 seconds with the power on. If you find it the player will turn off, if not contact the manufacterer.

Unregistered guest
I have a Philips DVD R 615, Directv HD receiver and Philips HDTV. I can only manually record what I am watching. Probably need help with connections and how do I watch one program while recording another? Please email to c122371t@hotmail.com. Any help appreciated.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1114
You can't watch and record 2 different channels.

Anonymous

hi, i am trying to hook up my dvd player, x-box, and my old sony triniton to my new stereo, any ideas will be greatly appreciated e-mail to try_if_you_Dare@hotmail.com

Silver Member

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 624
Anonymous
stereo as in a receiver ???
it that the case check this site out for charts and a bit of info, and the second you may, i say may run in to a problem trying to connect a older tv set to a new dvd player

The ultimate theatre setup guide

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLl

Message Board: Home Video: DVD Players: Connect older TV to DVD, VCR & Digital Cable Box using RF Modulator

Home > Message Board > Home Video > DVD Players > Connect older TV to DVD, VCR & Digita...

Thread: Connect older TV to DVD, VCR & Digital Cable Box using RF Modulator

Connect older TV to DVD, VCR & Digital Cable Box useing RF Modulator

Username: Cook139

I am trying to hook up my stereo system. I have a Magnavox vcr,
Phillips dvd, Hughes tivo, Pioneer cd player, Magnavox tv, and a
Pioneer audio-video receiver. How do I hook up the system all
together? So far this is what I have done.... Directv satellite going
to tivo (1 & 2 cables) to Surge protector to vcr to tv. Now the hook
ups..... Tivo 2 audio out to audio in on the receiver, Tivo 1 audio
out to audio in on vcr. S-video connected from tivo to the tv. Dvd
video out jacks to the video in jacks to receiver and on the receivers
side there is also a audio tv monitor in I plugged a yellow jack in
and video out jack to the tv. This is where the problem is, I can hear
the tv although it is on the s-video remote when I am playing a dvd. I
can see the picture, but hear two different movies from the tv. What
am I doing wrong?

Unregistered guest
Hello. I'm in America and have an English DVD. Can anyone tell me how to unlock a Toshiba SD-2815? Thanks.

Unregistered guest
I have a Magnavox TV and a GE DVD player hooked up together. Most times the two work fine together, but once in a while I turn them on and have no sound. I hear static through the speakers, so the sound is working, I'm just not getting the sound feed through from the DVD player. In the past I have reprogrammed my RCA systemlink4 universal remote (which controls the TV only), and it has corrected the problem, but now it isn't working. Any ideas?

Stacy H.
Unregistered guest
I just got Dish Network with a dual sat. receiver. I can't get the VCR on the 2nd TV (the one not directly attached to the reciever -- they call it the remote TV) to work so that I can record programming. It's a Sharp 19' TV and Hitachi VCR. I'm getting a blue screen and I can watch previously recorded tapes, but I can't get the sat. programming.

After following the instuctions in the Dish Network manual, it still doesn't work. I think the problem has something to do with the fact that TV2 has to be on channel 60 to receive the sat. programming. They tell you to tune the VCR's internal tuner to channel 60 and tune the TV to channel 3 or 4. Logically it seems like it should work, but it's not. I have the VCR hardware installed correctly. Is there some secret?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1200
If the VCR is on antenna, set to cable, if it's on cable, set to antenna.

Stacy H.
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that and it still doesn't work though. I tried every setting on the TV and VCR.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1202
Tell me how everything is connected.

people@pc .com
Unregistered guest
we have a 2004 sanyo 27" flat screen tv and just got a symphonic dvd player. when i take the red,yellow and white calbes from being plugged into the dvd and plug them into the tv nothing appears, but a wal-mart person said put the yellow cable in the green socket on this particular model. it worked, but it only appears in black and white. i have tried every other connection i can think of and read the dvd book again and again. i tried to get sanyo customer service on phon and on line-no luck please help. my husband is confined to a chair or hospital bed 24 hours a day and tv and movies are his only enjoyment. please, please help.

people@pc .com
Unregistered guest
we have a 2004 sanyo 27" flat screen tv and just got a symphonic dvd player. when i take the red,yellow and white calbes from being plugged into the dvd and plug them into the tv nothing appears, but a wal-mart person said put the yellow cable in the green socket on this particular model. it worked, but it only appears in black and white. i have tried every other connection i can think of and read the dvd book again and again. i tried to get sanyo customer service on phon and on line-no luck please help. my husband is confined to a chair or hospital bed 24 hours a day and tv and movies are his only enjoyment. please, please help.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1216
If you have a green RCA on the TV it's for component, you need to connect all 3 of them. If the DVD player doesn't have the triple component outputs, use the RCAs and set the TV on whatever input you used instead of the DVD input.

cajun
Unregistered guest
I got a question. I'm trying to hook up a Philips DVD and a Sony VCR to a Zenith TV thru a Audio/ video/ s-video selector switch (the guy at Best Buy told me to do this for no problems) I do have red, white, and yellow wires for all 3 units, but I only have two s-video outlets to plug the S-video wire (not on TV, is on VCR and DVD player) last night I tried to hook them up thru the switch, the TV and VCR worked, but not the DVD. I switched the buttons so that the DVD would be working, and the VCR wouldn't be, but the VCR was still working, while the DVD wasn't. Its Frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!

any ideas or suggestions?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1248
If you are using s-video in, you have to use s-video out. Use composite from the DVD.

Unregistered guest
i am trying to record from my dish network and can't seem to figure out how to hook up the cables to be able to record. pease help me asap. this is urgent cause i am cutting off my HBO and I want to record some movies before so. how does this have to be connected?

BlueOx
Unregistered guest
I just bought a Sanyo conventional TV with one coax connector and a couple of RCA connector sets. I have a Sony DVD player with the RCA connectors you'd expect, and a Magnavox older VCR with coax only...I think. BUT The VCR has four RCA plugs, yellow and white, but I don't know what they do.

I have standard cable--not digital, and no premium services that really need the cable box. The only reason I kept the box before was to adapt an old TV with coax only using an RF converter.

Can I ditch the cable box and hook up directly from the cable wall outlet AND switch channels using the TV--or do I have to do it through the crappy old VCR? Can somebody tell me exactly how to hook this stuff up? Thanks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1317
Connect the cable directly to the TV. Then set the antenna/cable select in the menus to cable, some new TVs don't have a cable/antenna select it does it automatically. Then autoprogram the channels. Connect the DVD with the RCAs.

Anonymous

I HAVE A SONY SLV-D360P DVD/VCR COMBO THAT WILL NOT RECORD OFF OF THE DISH SATTELITE SYSTEM. I CAN PLAY BACK PREVIOUSLY RECORDED TAPES AND WATCH TV WITH THIS HOOK-UP. THIS IS HOW I HAVE IT HOOKED UP, SATTELITE CABLE TO SATTELITE RECEIVER TO VCR AND OUT TO TV. RED,WHITE AND YELLOW RCA JACKS FROM VCR TO TV. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Silver Member

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 641
Anonymous
i recently hook up a system as your for my cousin, but i run in to the same problem as you could watch sat tv but not record
the problem is you have to teach the machine all the channel you have in setup on the dvd vcr cobo
go to setup and click find all channel
it work for me

Unregistered guest
I'd like to record my favorite TV show on DVD, which I've done every season for three years. I recently switched to DISH, and the guy said "you don't have to tape it now, you have DVR". Well, I don't record them to watch it once, I want to be able to watch it ten years from now. He set my receiver so the TV has to be on channel 73. The DVD player won't record unless the TV is on channel 3. Therefore all I get on the DVD is static. I missed the first episode in years. How do I set up my DVD/VCR to record on channel 73?

The channel selection to receive on the Satalite only goes from 73-125. Channel 3 and 4 are not options. DISH will not help me out. I'd really appreciate the help. Thank You!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1356
Use an s-video cable or RCA jacks and set the DVD on whatever input you used. If you use s-video, you still need RCAs for audio.

Unregistered guest
Hi, I just purchased a Samsung HLR6167W TV and I'm trying to connect our Bose Surround Sound to it, but all I get is stereo. Can you give me some advice?

Anonymous

I'm attempting to setup my DVD/CD player to connect to the VCR that is connected to the DISH. The DISH must be turned off in order to play the VCR, however I can't get the DVD/CD to play. The DISH is connected to the satellite and to the TV. The VCR is connected to the DISH through the antenna. I then connected the DVD/CD player to the red/yellow/white jacks, but it does not play. The TV has only the one connector in the back (no other jacks).

Gold Member

Post Number: 1412
Set the VCR to line. You will probably have copyguard problems connecting through a VCR.

Username: Zzzzz2

Cypress, TX

HELP. Want to connect everything AND be able to record from DVR to VHS. I have a JVC tv (model AV-36950); Magnavox DVD (model MSD124); Magnavox VCR (model VR9730AT01 - i know it's old); Dish DVR 522. My email is zzzzz2@hotmail.com. Thx.

Unregistered guest
I have a Phillips HDTV Monitor 60PP9202, Direct TV (RCA) HD Receiver DTC210, Audio/Video Receiver RT2500 and an old Samsung VHS recorder VR8656. I have not tried to use the VHS recorder since we upgraded to HDTV with Direct TV, maybe not since we purchased the TV. So I don't know if it worked with this set up or not. Direct TV guy set up the system, so I really didn't know how it was set up either. Yesterday I purchased a RCA DVD/VHS recorder/player DRC8295N and tried to hook it up, tried everyway imaginable, even called RCA-Thompson and Phillips. Spent almost 3 hours on phone with Thompson. We were never able to get it hooked up to record. Think the unit maybe bad because I could never get it to respond to the remote or any of the controls except for eject and play buttons. I am going to return it today. But I had the same problem with the VHS recorder, I can get it to pay a previously recored tape but not record anything. The TV monitor is set up so that there are different hook-ups on the back, an INPUT-AV1, OUTPUT, INPUT-AV2 and HD INPUT-AV4. To enjoy the HD, the Satellite receiver must be connected to the AV4. As far as I can tell there is no input Line/Channel set up on the Phillips TV. Couldn't get that information out of the so helpful guy (not) from Philips I talked to. I would like to go through the Audio receiver to be able to use the home surround set up. Any body have any ideas on how I should proceed. I would like to have an idea and get my VHS recorded working before I purchase another DVD recorder. I can upload diagrams of the back of each unit if that would be helpful.

Any way I originaly had the Direct TV hooked up to the AV-4 on TV, and then through to the Audio receiver. Then the VHS hooked up to the Audio receiver as directed by the receiver's manual, then run back to TV (out-put) AV-1 or 2. Supposedely this would record from satellite then play on TV when it was set to AV-1 or 2. Could never get it to work even tried to connect the HD satellite receiver directly to the VHS then on to the TV, bypassing the Home Surround, this didn't work either.
Thanks for any help I can get, I'm going nuts with this.

Unregistered guest
I have a GE tv..only cable connection..nothing else..I have a vcr and I want to hook up my new dvd player..there is only a coaxil connection on the tv...what would help me hook up to this older television...?

Silver Member

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 653

Silver Member

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 654
all so here some good reading chart etc

Home > Message Board > Home Theater > Home Theater Setup & Planning > The ultimate theatre setup guide

Anonymous

Can someone please answer my question for me? I think I have pretty much the same problems as some that I've read but I couldn't find any answers to the questions.

I have an older tv and would like to hook up my vcr and dvd player to it. I know how to hook up just the vcr to the tv by running the cable to the vcr and the vcr to the tv but throw in the dvd player and I'm all confused. If you wouldn't mind, please e-mail me directly at maryt0728@verizon.net. Thank you for your time and please know your help is greatly appreciated.

Silver Member

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 658
Anonymous
as you found out that connecting a dvd is not the same as connecting a dvd, yu could or can connected a vcr use coxaial cable but not a dvd, as it use a audio video cable to connect
throw ina older t v set, and you have fun
but ther a fix just add a RF Modulator to the mix, put it ween the older tv set and the new dvd player
please read these site please it will give you a lot of idea i hope

Home > Message Board > Home Theater > Home Theater Setup & Planning > The ultimate theatre setup guide

Unregistered guest
We just connected to DISH Network. We have a RCA tv, RCA surround sound, and Toshiba DVD. We have the dual satellite. This is the secondary tv. We cannot get the surround sound to work. It worked fine when we were on DirecTV, but now we can't get it. The tuner is working on the surround sound, just can't get it to work for watching satellite.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us