DVI or Component for Toshiba 52HM84 DLP

Username: Pavrac

Post Number: 1
Hello everyone... I just purchased a Toshiba 52HM84 DLP TV last night. One major question I have is, why did the sales rep. at Best Buy talk me into purchasing a Monster Ultra component video 1000 cable? I've always read that DVI cables are much better.

Any opinions???

Bronze Member
Username: Kdog044

Post Number: 55
Take it back and pick up the AR component cable for about $30. If they don't have it CC does. Since you only have one HDMI input you need to determine what to use it for. I would use the HDMI for a upconverting DVD player and use component for a STB.

Bronze Member
Username: Vikingknut

Post Number: 11
From personal experience, I cannot recommend either DVI or HDMI at this point. My own experience is that the picture is hardly ever better in HDMI and most of the time is worse. For some reason, I see the imperfections of the compression using HDMI in HD. Cable and satellite companies use some compression. Component (analog) inputs seem to smooth out these compression artifacts. Also, SD looks worse to me using HDMI. Only a few times could I see a better picture using HDMI. Mostly only when I freeze the picture.

Username: Pavrac

Post Number: 2
The back on the TV has 2 HDMI inputs; what should I use them for?

Bronze Member
Username: Vikingknut

Post Number: 12
Are you sure you have the 52hm84, i thought that it only had 1 HDMI input. BTW, I have the Toshiba 62HM94. I think you will love the picture using the component inputs. Like I said, my assessment was my own experience, perhaps others have had a better experience. However, I have also had the same experience with DVI on a Samsung. I'm pretty sure that it has to do with the compression.

I've heard that people are happy when using HDMI/DVI with an upconverting DVD player.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us