HD2 verses HD3 HELP!

Username: Hoppie

Post Number: 2
What is the difference between the HD2 and the HD3 chip? Which is the better one to go with?

FYI
Unregistered guest
Tell us the brand and model numbers of sets you're looking at.

The HD2 is the oldest chip technology. Pass on it!

The HD3 is a 3rd generation chip with SmoothCinema technology.

The HD2+ Mustang is the latest current chip with blacker blacks.

The last two give a picture so crisp and stunning that you can't really tell the difference in them. If you have the extra $700 or so, then go with the HD2+ Mustang. If you want to save that much, then you will find the HD3 to be very comparable.

Anonymous

HD2+ is the upgrade of HD2, both has native 1280x720p resolution. HD2+ has significant higher contrast ratio and it is the best DLP chip for now.

HD3 is scaled down replacement of HD2. I believe its native resolution is 640x720p.

FYI
Unregistered guest
WRONG!

I don't think 500:1 contrast difference can be called significant.

All chips are 1280 X 720 until the xHD3 comes out.

Anonymous

FYI WRONG
I think a 33 percent increase in anything is significant.

Post Number: 3
I am looking at the LG RU-44SZ63D which has the H3 chip in it, 1500:1 contrast ratio. Also the LG RU-44SZ51D which has the HD3 chip in it, 1000:1 contrast ratio.

Is the chip or the contrast ratio more important?

jamescrew
Unregistered guest
Most DLP tv's that I have seen with the HD2+ chip are advertising a 2500:1 contrast ratio. I have the Mitts 52725 and am incredibly happy with it. The black levels are incredible and I don't see any rainbows. I think the HD2+ chip also reduced the rainbow effect that is inherent with the DLP technology. I would definitely recommend tv's with the HD2+ chip.

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 646
Contrast ratio is so over blown. There are no standards in which it is measured, so every company will have different numbers. A set could have grayish blacks, but be extremely bright and have a high contrast number. Another set could have very dark accuate blacks, but is not excessively bright, and it's contract number will list much lower. Go with what looks good to your eyes, not what looks good on paper.

FYI
Unregistered guest
Well...Lynch...you just contradicted yourself.

If subjectively, you don't know it's 33%, how the hell can it be significant?

Crystal, the HD3 chip is just fine!
The chip determines the contrast level to an extent.
Yea...the HD2+ might be a little better at making blacks....so what...like I said before, you won't see a big difference in them.

jamescrew's rainbow ideas are his own. Rainbow effect has more to do with color wheel style and speed. If you don't see'em you won't see'em and it doesn't matter what the chip is.

I like what Mr. Lynch finished with.

" Go with what looks good to your eyes, not what looks good on paper."

Post Number: 4
Thanks so much! You have all been helpful!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us