DVI connection doesn't work with comcast box

Username: Rwlc5

Post Number: 1
I have a Sony Grand Wega with a comcast high definition box and monster cable dvi cable. All worked fine for about 7 months. Then when the TV was turned on, the picture would flash in & out. Comcast replaced the box with a brand new one (I believe it is a PACE box)and it worked for about an hour. They said it must be the cable. A new cable did not change anything. Then they said it must be the inout on the TV. The TV repair man looked at it and said that he thinks it is a software communications problem between the box and the TV. He is supposed to check to see if there are any software updates from Sony for the TV. Has anyone else had this problem or have any solutions?

Unregistered guest
I have had a similar problem with my Sharp 37GD4U. Using a DVI connection to an HD Comcast box, the picture would flash on than immediately disappear. This occured each time I turned my comcast box on and off. The next morning, all was fine. In addition, sometimes while I'm watching TV, the picture goes white (a snow effect). This disappear only when I turn the Comcast box off, then on again. When viewing through the built-in HD digital tuner (via antennae) no such problems exist. I also had no problems when using component connections for the Comcast hookup, but DVI gives a superior picture....

Username: Rwlc5

Post Number: 2
Two weeks ago I had the Sony repair man replace the board where the cable connects to the tv. The result was that the HD channels work fine but the digital and analog channels come on then go off for 10-15 seconds and then come back on. I talked to comcast and they confirmed that this will always happen because of changes that they made to the software. The SONY repairman said that the software change had to do with copy protection so that you are not able to make dvd copies of programs. Comcast also said that they are going to be coming out with new boxes this summer that will only have the HDMI connections. They are phasing out the DVI connections. So, I now have my set hooked up using the composite cables. I now have a useless dvi monster cable.

HD Guy
Unregistered guest
As far as I know, all Charter boxes and many Comcast boxes have the DVI out disabled.

Bronze Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 78
wow that stinks, maybe you're going to be one of the lucky few that is being transferred to TW since they just did some major geographical business swapping. Pay attention this gets tricky:

To Time Warner - from Adelphia:
New York (mainly Buffalo)
California ( mainly LA)
Ohio ( mainly Cleveland)
the Carolina's
Maine (Portland-Bangor)

To Time Warner - from Comcast:
Dallas
LA
Cleveland

To Comcast-from Adelphia:
Florida ( mainly Palm Beach and Miami)
Virginia (mainly D.C. area)
New England (Boston area, Hartford area, Vermont)
Pennsylvania (mainly Pittsburgh area, Johnstown area and Scranton area)
Colorodo Springs

To Comcast - from Time Warner:
Minneapolis
Memphis
Jackson
Lousiana (mainly Shreveport and Monroe)
Florida (mainly Cape Coral and St. Augustine)

If you're going from Adelphia to TW or Comcast to TW you will ultimately be able to get some STB's that will support DVI-HDMI and CableCARDS. Don't know when this officially takes place, or how long it will take to get the system in place to support the new company products...but time will tell.

dw1926
Unregistered guest
Since I had the previous problem with DVI, it seems to be working great. My Comcast STB is set to 720p (for the DVI/component outs), but my TV accepts 1080i.... I must have one of the boxes with DVI active, but I did request DVI connection when I made the appointment to have the box installed. It sounds like we've been experience STB problems, not TV problems. Wasn't DVI originally made for computer interfaces?? Is that a problem..... My Sharp LCD can act as a computer monitor... ummmmmm....

Silver Member
Username: Kdog044

Post Number: 106
As far as I know all the Comcast boxes have DVI active. It is on my DCT6412.

geharvey
Unregistered guest
I have a DCT6412 from Comcast connected via DVI to LCD. PQ is superb (better than component) on digital and HD channels, but analogue reception is marred by flickering white lines at top of screen. This does not occur with component, but I would prefer to use DVI if possible. I understand the problem may be related to "overscanning", but I haven't found a solution. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Unregistered guest
This sounds familiar.

I had an early XFX nVidia video card for the PC that has both DVI and VGA outputs. Had been running in VGA for years, then upgraded monitor to DVI capable LCD. Well, picture would flash on, then go away, then come back with white snow, then when Windows came up picture would go black.

Sound familiar?

Further research found that the early video card used a chip that was not quite compliant with the DVI standard electrically. A new card fixed the problem.

Maybe the Comcast box has the same problem....?

geharvey
Unregistered guest
I have been advised by tech support at Syntax Olevia (mfg. of my 37 inch LCD TV) that the "overscan lines" are an issue with most LCDs which are designed for use as both a stand-alone TV and a computer monitor, As I mentioned in earlier post, digital channels are fine (so presumably satellite--which is all digital--is unaffected), Apparently, I'll just have to deal with it (at least in DVI mode) until Comcast completes conversion of analogue to digital.

geharvey
Unregistered guest
BTW, I can "zoom" the picture and hide the overscan lines--which extend horizontally completely across the top of the picture--but unfortunately it also obscures a little too much of the bottom of picture so that scrolling info (ball scores, news, etc.) is illegible.

burned
Unregistered guest
Any word when I can use the useless DVI cable I bought for my TWC Pioneer HDTV set-top box? DVI is disabled and was told by TWC it will not be activated until the future, whenever that may be.

mario627
Unregistered guest
Are you sure it's disabled or is that just what TWC told you? I was told by my cable provider (Wide Open West) that the DVI output was disabled, but I tried it anyway on my new HDTV and it works great. The same thing happened to my brother who has Comcast. They told him that it was disabled, but it works.

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 184
burned what STB are you using with DVI through TWC? All SA and Pioneer HD converters the DVI and HDMI (if you have the 8300 HDDVR) are active.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us