Suggestions for a 55+" tv?

Username: Red1

Post Number: 1
I'm glad I found this forum tonight as it's a wealth of info!

I'm moving into a new home at the end of June and want to buy a big screen by then. I'm wanting a 55-62" tv for $3000 if possible but will go a little higher if necessary. I guess my first question is how much can I expect prices to drop in 2-3 months? Is it substantial enough or will newer technologies come out to justify waiting? I know that there will always be something new around the corner so I have to make the leap sometime I just wanted to know if much will change in a few months? What would a tv that's going for $3000 now likely go for in 3 months?

My primary use will be for movies and TV. I don't do much gaming currently since I don't own a console but may get one someday. Even so I won't do a whole lot.

Of the few TVs I've checked out, I like the Samsung DLP's and the Sony LCD's. What do you guys recommend? I know not all saleman know their stuff but almost all I've asked have favored the Sammys and sonys.

Will I be happier going with a larger but slightly older technology for the same price? For instance, is the 4th generation sammy HLP5674 a better route to go than the HLP6163? Is there much difference over the 3rd generations?

Thanks for your help!
Dane

Username: Red1

Post Number: 2
I forgot to ask, what are the differences/benefits between the Samsung HLP-5674W and the HL-P5685W? They both seem to have the 4th generation technology.

Anonymous

both LCD and DLP proponents will defend their turfs, however its really FRONT PROJECTION LCD where the big news is now - for example the PANASONIC AE700U FRONT PROJECTOR LCD - currently the worlds best selling high def front projector is now selling below 2000 dollars and with a 96" professional screen one adds in about 200 dollars. Sony and Hitachi also have decent models out.

MOVIES in hi def cable via for example via Comcast look astonishing - same with DirecTV and Dish

DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES is virtually IMAX quality as ABC's native 720p perfectly matches the AE700u's native 720p, however all true hi def whether 720p or 1080i sourced material looks fantastic

Sound and Vision Magazine new issue just came out and says LCD front projection is blowing everything else away in terms of price to performance, it claims its an emerging trend few have any handle on currently

Once you see a true hi def picture on a mega-screen you won't bother worrying about these 50 to 60 inch sets

Of course FRONT PROJECTION is not practical for all, as one needs a shelf 10 to 15 ft away from screen with min 4 feet height and control over ambient light - however the price is way lower than typical rear projection Lcd and Dlp sets and produces a much better picture

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 644
Thr JVC 61" LCoS set (HD61z575, HD61z585) is an excellent deal right now. You can find them for under $3k, and I feel they out perform LCD and DLP. It is worth checking out.

FYI
Unregistered guest
Dane,

I bet you wish someone would answer your questions.

The new technology sets will be over $6k for the next year in the size you're looking for. They are cutting edge stuff if you have the bucks. The current models may well drop in price a few hundred more as the new ones pop on the scene this summer. Stores will likely be closing them out to make room while online warehouses will have them at even less cost for a longer period.

The 720P sets today are stunning and will be for years. The 4th generation Sammy HLP5674 is a very nice DLP and is considered top of the line today. The 63 series has some production issues, which are resolvable, but a hassle if you get one that needs warranty work to make it right. The picture is incredible, though. I would go with a 74 rather than a 63 if I had the extra cash. Blacks should be a little blacker too!

Standard definition will be with us for a while longer. The bigger the screen, the worse SD will look. Sat signal is the most consistant source to tolerate SD while really enjoying HD.

Cable sucks! Sony sucks! LCD front projection will fry itself out.

I'll admit JVC D-ILA/LCOS looks very nice. JVC will improve their pixel refresh rates in the new generation as the present sets blurr a bit on action scenes. Still, it's something to check out.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us