TV Calibration

Username: Booker21

Post Number: 5
I don`t own a HDTV but i got a analogical 32" Tv a month ago.
Since then i can`t still find a nice calibration for the TV.

I did tried DVE, but honestly it was all matter of "preference" so that didn`t work well.

Also i tried eye calibration, but it change from movie to movie..

Honeslty i`m not sure what is correct or not.

I`m not asking a professional calibration, but for some reason i feel when i calibrate my TV is a lot darker than many others TV i see on other houses when i compare them.

I hate when peopl use their TV with a low Black level, i mean, when the Black is "gray" instead of black, but at the same time i think i may overpersue that and i end up having a really dark picture coz of it.

Also i`m not sure about contrast..it should be high, low, mid?... black should be Bright or should be a low White?...

Could someone make a guie or link me to some websites where they actually give tips and guide you for a correct calibration?

bascially i`m not sure what should be higher..Brightness or COnstrast?

right now i have my tv on 40% Bright, 45% Contrast and 35% Color Saturation with a 15% Picture definition.

I know this is useless, for you since it change from TV to TV, but maybe the correct setting is to have brighness higher than Contrast or... anyways...any advice or tip will be greatly welcome!

thanks

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 280
You must be mistaken. Digital Video Essentials set up is not a matter of preference. If you follow the detailed set up patterns, your television will display the best image it is capabable of producing, short of a certified technician going into the service menu. Now maybe you won't like that picture and would "prefer" something else. But that DVD is an outstanding tool for objective picture evaluation and adjustment. I suggest you try it again.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
I agree with Dale, this is a much less expensive method to achieve a true picture compared to a professional calibration. As Dale aslo pointed out a certifed tech is going to be able to make accurate calibrations which you cannot from the user menu alone.

xvxvxvx

Silver Member
Username: Vindsl

Post Number: 147
Heh! You're gonna get a chuckle out of this...

When I calibrate an analog TV, I do it from the 'service menu', and use the low res texture maps in my Nintendo 64 as a color generator for low-medium res adjustments. Then, I finish up by using my Super Nintendo for hi res and interlaced.

This will take several hours of fiddling, but the results are quite satisfactory! :-)

Unregistered guest
If you have a CRT TV and you want to give it a long lasting life. Don't set your brightness or contrast too high, I set both of mine below fifty.

Username: Booker21

Post Number: 6
bomb, i got it at
37 Brightenss
37 Color
40 Contrast

but still, some "games on xbox" looks "dark" like they should need a tad of brighness or contrast... Movies looks great though.

Basicallly i find really hard to find the "perfect" picture.

Maybe i should raise Brightness at 38, but i want to be sure the tv shows real Black.

Also color, damn color is really hard, some DVD the skins looks great others not that great.

There is any way to tweak Color without thos Glasses or else?...

Silver Member

Post Number: 311
Different sources have their own color biases. That's why it's nice when your tv inputs are independently adjustable and can be memorized.
If you are using your XBOX as a DVD player, you will probably need to adjust the settings when you switch from movies to games. After all many games have inherently "pumped up" contrast, brightness and color settings. It's like the difference between watching a cartoon and a National Geographic special.

Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 9
xvxvxvx or Dale,
where can one locate the DVE? Is it available at blockbuster? lol sorry long morning at work. Seriously though I'm curious to see how close my preferences match up to optimum viewing. Any help is appreciated.
regards,

Silver Member

Post Number: 312
Try Crutchfield.com, Vann's.com, Bhphotovideo.com to name a few. Or do a "Google" search for Digital Video Essentials and I think it will lead you to the homepage.

Silver Member

Post Number: 315
www.digitalvideoessentials.com You might start here.

Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 10
Thanks Dale

Silver Member

Post Number: 319
My pleasure. Let me know what you think once you have used it. The menu system is a bit counterintuitive (one might say screwed up). But once you learn to navigate it and go straight to the test patterns, it's great. The demo material is particularly impresssive.

Silver Member

Post Number: 321
My pleasure. Hope you find it useful. The menu is counterintuitive but once you learn to navigate to the test patterns, it works great. Demo material is particularly impressive, especially after you complete set up instructions.

Silver Member

Post Number: 322
OOPS!!! My computer indicated first post did not go through. Please pardon the redundancy.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 288
Dale is right, navigation around DVE is difficult. But in time that can be mastered.

In my opinion, the color bar test.... Upload
...is worth the price of the disc alone. And if one can't get the color/tint perfect through all three color filters, it's still better than trying to do it by eye alone.

There's no law that occasional deviation from the DVE-derived settings shouldn't be done if a particular DVD or game needs it.

For a comprehensive review of this disc, see Digital Video Essentials

Username: Tommy_teh

Penang, Provine Well... Malaysia

Post Number: 1
Outdoor antenna tends to exposed to the risk of lighting and thunderstorm if say voltage of 20,000 or more do strike and carried by the cable( coxal 75 ohms ) to the antenna input of our TV what would happen ? Can sugre protector avoid this ? Please help to explain. Thanks

Username: The_nerdly_guy

Post Number: 3
I found 2 good articles at TechLore ( www.techlore.com ) about TV calibration. This one is a general overview of the different video controls: http://www.techlore.com/article/10070/

This one tells you how to do it properly with Avia: http://www.techlore.com/article/10095/

I'm telling you, I never heard of this site a few months ago, but now I'm finding myself going to it all the time. Check it out!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us