Help!! 1.5 yr old RCA Scenium DLP dying?!

Username: Emiliew

Post Number: 1
I've been searching all over the place trying to find out more information about this problem, and how much this might actually cost..

As we were watching TV the other day it randomly started making this terrible whirring / vibration noise, like there was something stuck in a fan somewhere.. The picture was fine, and the TV was still working, but the noise was horrible, so we turned it off. We're afraid to turn it back on, because the last time we turned it on, everything worked ok, but it sounded so terrible and the high pitched humming noise so bizarre, like it was spinning off center (maybe a bearing going bad in the light engine? or the color wheel?? are they one in the same? and would the TV even still have remained working if a bearing in some critical part was going bad??)

well, you can actually look inside the vent on the side with a flashlight and see what looks like the light engine or color wheel or whatever the heck that is, and there is a cooling fan bolted on top of that bright blue light, and you can see it's not the cooling fan, because the noise starts when the light actually turns on.

we're past warranty by a few months and we've contacted the local RCA service places, all which require us to bring the big thing into their shop for an estimate.

Now i'm trying to figure out how much things like this actually cost (since none of the service shops want to tell me how much a light engine or color wheel or whatever will actually cost! or if these are even serviceable, can they just fix whatevers going wrong inside of it, or do they have to replace the entire thing...?) I mean, if repairs/parts will cost the same price as the TV.. i might just buy a new one (with an extended warranty this time..)

This has been an awesome TV, but now i don't even know if i should even turn it on or not (don't want to damage it further!) Well, any info would be great!!

oh yeah and it's model # HDLP50W151

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
I researched this once a long while back. It seems to me the light wheel assembly and installation run about $1500 but my memory could be incorrect. You can call RCA directly and ask then the cost of the replacement part only. Be sure to have your serial number handy when you call.

xvxvxvx
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us