Overscan Function on Sony Grand Wega

Username: Aph

Post Number: 4
Can anyone explain to me what the Overscan function is used for? I own a Sony Grand Wega and noticed it in my TV Menu. The settings are -1, Regular, +1

I see that the picture gets bigger if set to +1, but is this Overscan function for anything in particular? The TV manual does not provide much info.

Silver Member
Username: Vindsl

Post Number: 138
Overscan gets rid of video noise, or 'twitter', around the edge of a picture, and allows the picture to completely fill the screen without seeing a border around it, et cetera. There's a certain amount of Overscan built into all TV's...

The picture height and width is set at the factory, in the 'service service', but every once in a while you'll run across a situation where an input device won't fill the whole screen, such as hooking up your PC to your TV, or whatever. This is particularily annoying when you have artifacts 'twittering' around the edges!

The Overscan/Underscan function allows you to tweak your TV for such devices.

Chances are, you'll never have to use it, so that's probably why they didn't devote much space to it in the manual...

Username: Aph

Post Number: 5
Thank you-

Will having my Overscan set to +1 hurt the life of the TV in any way? I have it set to this because of some distortion at the top of the picture... it seems to help some, but has not rid the picture of this problem.

Silver Member
Username: Vindsl

Post Number: 140
"Will having my Overscan set to +1 hurt the life of the TV in any way?"

Nope! Won't hurt your TV a bit.

All it does is extend the picture beyond the edge of the screen.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us