STB configuration?

Bronze Member
Username: Psu828694

Post Number: 11
As most of the experts on this site know, us novices are still learning. So, I have had a Sony KDF55655 for 3 months now. I have Comcast with the standard Motorola box. I have been watching with Component cables (not HDMI, I discussed somewhere as to why not in another post. I recently saw on another site how to access the STB menu and what settings to be running. So now I have 720p selected and 420p override off. I had been watching 1080i. Does everyone recommend this setting? I dont see a lot of change in the picture. Is this helping my SD channels as well?

Thnx!

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 621
With my JVC I have it set to 720p, with the 480 override set to "off". With the 480 override set to "off" I get black sidebars on my JVC, they are gray when it is set to 480i or 480p.

The Sony have a very good scaling chip, so you probably won't see much of a difference. When it recieved a 1080i signal, the TV would convert it to 720p. Now the cable box is doing it.

Try setting your cable box 480 override to 480i. This is the normal broadcast resolution and it will allow your TV to convert the signal. There is a good chance your TV will upscale the signal better than your cable box. Just a thought.

Bronze Member
Username: Psu828694

Post Number: 12
will the change u mention allow the sd channels to be stretched when I view them on my standard wide mode? i lost that when i changed the settings. i used to be able to fill the screen on sd channels with out zooming. thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 622
Joe-

I'm not familar with the Sony but I'll try to help you out.
With the 480 override set to "off" your TV might detect it as an HD signal and I know a lot of sets do not allow you to adjust the aspect of 720p/1080i signals. With 480 override set to 480i, it will recieve a 480i signal and should let you stretch it. That's how my friends Samsung works anyway. My JVC allows you to stretch the picture with all signals.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us