Not all Toshiba CRT televisions are really made by Toshiba...

waltchan
Unregistered guest
Here's what I know that Toshiba never wants you to ever know in your whole life, but I am throwing out Toshiba's television production secret for the first time to the public:

All Toshiba CRT televisions that are 30" or smaller (26HL84 and 30HL84, for example) are not made by Toshiba, but made by Orion Electric Co. in Thailand. All parts, including the TV tube, are assembled by Orion. Orion is the OEM maker for many Toshiba CRT televisions we have in our market today. Whatever Toshiba asks for the exterior design and features for its CRT televisions, Orion is glad to produce and supply Toshiba for its televisions within its specifications. Toshiba has already stopped producing its own smaller-screen CRT televisions since 2000 and some larger-screen CRT televisions since 2002. Although very very few people have heard of Orion, Orion is actually more a generic brand producing low-end products to the market. Orion currently produces electronic products under the Orion, Durabrand, Memorex, Sansui, and Broksonic brand, but majority of what Orion produce is under the Toshiba brand. Orion Electric Co. is originally a Japanese company, but it moved all its plant and operations to Thailand more than a decade ago, so it now feels more like a Thai company than Japanese. Unfortunately, Orion does not make the most reliable TV on Earth. Every products that Orion make are pretty much average reliability. They are not the worst and certainly not the best.

On the other hand, any Toshiba CRT televisions that are 32" or larger (34HL84 and 34HLX84, for example) are actually made by Toshiba in USA, not Orion. These are the real Toshiba sets with real reliability, feel, and quality, and probably will last you for more than 10 years. Model 30HL83 was also made by Toshiba.

Toshiba has a really strong alliance with Orion due to its very cheap labor to produce TVs and DVD/VCR combos, but neither Toshiba nor Orion shares parts with each other when making an electronic product. Each uses its own parts to produce electronic products. Yeah, it really amazes me that a $900 Toshiba 30HL84 was being produced by cheap labor costs in Thailand by Orion.

It's no wonder why I am seeing posts from owners of the geometry and component input issues of the 26HL84 and 30HL84 sets. On the other hand, I don't really hear any geometry and component input issues on the 30HL83, 34HL83, 34HL84, 34HLX83, and 34HLX84 models. These models use a Toshiba tube and the main board is also made and assembled by Toshiba.

I understand that there are probably couple of people out there who totally don't believe me at all. If you don't believe me, then I suggest you to go find out by yourself by getting a screwdriver, open up the back cover of the TV, and then you will either see the word "Orion" or "Toshiba" sticker on the picture tube, depending on the TV size that you have.

I hope the headquarters of Toshiba of America are not angry at me for revealing this secret to the public.

Walter Chan

waltchan
Unregistered guest
I made a mistake here. The model numbers are supposed to be 26HF84, 30HF83, 30HF84, 30HFX84, 34HF83, 34HF84, and 34HFX84. Sorry for the mistake here.

Bronze Member
Username: Xgrizzlyx

Post Number: 81
pfft to toishba anyway

The had a picture tube factory here where i live (Elmira, NY) but closed it down at the end of december 2004.

there name changed to m&t picutre displays. but none the less they closed them putting hunders out of work.

Username: Videoguy

Post Number: 4
I thought something was up with Toshiba because I have 20" Sansui flat tube TV and found that it looks almost exactly like the 20" Toshiba and the remotes are identical. I also have a 13" Orion that I bought for cheep back in 98 and it's still working if that says anything about the reliability of Orion. Honestly is there any brand that actually manufactures their own TVs anymore or is it all cheap crap from overseas and all they do is put their name on it?

I thought something was up with Toshiba because I have 20" Sansui flat tube TV and found that it looks almost exactly like the 20" Toshiba and the remotes are identical. I also have a 13" Orion that I bought for cheep back in 98 and it's still working if that says anything about the reliability of Orion. Honestly is there any brand that actually manufactures their own TVs anymore or is it all cheap crap from overseas and all they do is put their name on it?

Anonymous

TOSHIBA AND ORION INTRESTING,BUT I CAN ALSO
REVEAL THEY USE THOMSON TUBE,S IN SOME SETS ALSO.
FRENCH COMPANY THOMSON THAT ABSORBED FERGUSON
REMEMBER THEM.

waltchan
Unregistered guest
Toshiba and Orion have never used Thomson tubes before.

waltchan
Unregistered guest
Beginning in January 2005, Toshiba no longer manufactures CRT televisions anymore. They are now being made by Orion for Toshiba, regardless of what size and price (even the HDTV ones).

Username: Klaussner

Post Number: 3
Are you an employee of Toshiba?

Username: Bionicsniper

Des Moines, Iowa USA

Post Number: 9
toshiba also stole advanced ball bearing desings from the us military and sold the information in the mid 80s

wishryder
Unregistered guest
waltchan, I have a question for you then. I was thinking about buying the 34HF85. If this model was produced BEFORE the switch to Orion, does this mean all televisions carrying this model number are produced by Toshiba, or only the 34HF85s produced before January 2005?

In other words, when Orion took over, did they take over production of the 34HF85? Or did they start their own model number?

Anonymous

Waltchan acknowledged on avsforum.com that he was wrong and that Toshiba does make their tvs recently.

waltchan
Unregistered guest
No, my account was hacked and lied about that. Toshiba does not make CRT televisions anymore. All Toshiba tube televisions, regardless of what price, are made by Orion for Toshiba.

waltchan
Unregistered guest
wishryder, sorry for the delay because I don't go here quite often. Anyway, according to Toshiba, it says that on December 30, 2004, Toshiba shuted down its last picture tube factory at Hordsheads Bay. This means that begdinning in January 2005, Toshiba does not manufacture tube televisions anymore. The 34HF84 and 34HFX84 turn out to be the last HD tube televisions Toshiba will ever produce. All of the 34HF85s are being made and assembled by Orion America in Indiana, USA with parts from Thailand and elsewhere. Picture quality is slightly lower than the 34HF84. It comes with a Matsushita (Panasonic) picture tube. On the plus side, no one I know is having any problems with the 34HF85 so far. Only the 26HF85 and 30HF85 have some problems. Orion does not take over production of the 34HF85. Toshiba has already looked for an outside company that is able to produce the 34HF85 within Toshiba's specs, and Toshiba is glad to select Orion to produce tube televisions for them.

34HF85 Owner
Unregistered guest
There are big problems with the 34HF85. Check out the thread on the new Toshiba models on avsforums - it seems the component inputs are unable to accept a true 1080i signal without substantial distortion problems.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1508
Why would Toshiba use a Matsushita picture tube when Panasonic themselves are using Samtrash on their TVs?

Anonymous

I just purchased a Tosh 34HF85. SD picture looks great. I get HD box Tuesday. I have 30 days to return. What are the issues?

waltchan
Unregistered guest
Panasonic also use their own Matsushita picture tubes.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1531
No they don't, they are Samtrash. Open one and look.

Anonymous

I have noticed that the new Panasonic crt pictures are not as sharp as they used to be, maybe they are Samsung.

Anonymous

MAN SCREW TOSHIBA AND ORION!!!!!!!!!!! GO OUT AND GET A SONY LIKE I DID WHICH ARE MADE IN MEXICO!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!! CHEAP LABOR FOR ALL!!!!!!!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 122
Man, screw Sony!! Their TVs might be okay but there VCRs are absolute CRAP!! Nothing but landfill food after a week!

Username: Waltchan

Post Number: 3
Sony VCRs today are actually made by Samsung in China.

Silver Member

Post Number: 123
OK, well that explains it, cheap overseas crap!

Don't get my wrong, I don't hate Sony, I actually own several products from them that I'm quite happy with like my PIII VAIO.

Username: Bikeboy3

Costa Mesa, CA

Post Number: 1
No wonder my brand new Toshiba 26HF85 HDTV CRT is one week old and the transformer blew already! The Toshiba authorized repair shop said it would take about 10 days to get the part unless I ordered it overnight and that would cost me 38.00 even though it is brand new under warranty. I need my TV and I am going to pay the 38.00. DO NOT BUY A TOSHIBA ever again, heed my warning!

Username: Waltchan

Toshiba 26HF85 is made by Orion (Sansui). You paid a lot for this set, but the set is made very cheaply. Orion is known for producing subpar electronics.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us