Live electricity coming out of my cable box (zap!)

Username: Billkwando

Maryland USA

Post Number: 5
Um, I was (re)hooking up my Cable/TV/Surround setup, and I had the cable coax in one hand (that goes to the TV) and when I touched my VCR (where the cable box was plugged into) It shocked me. Now it wasn't like a jolt or anything, but it seems that some live current is constantly running out of my cable box. It felt the same to my hand as a 9-volt battery does to your tongue and it's constant.

Is this normal? Can it hurt any of my other components? I assume it's been this way a long time because I only noticed when I was re-hooking it. Should I call the cable company or is cable always "juicy"? I never noticed it in the past....

Any input is welcome!

Maryland USA

Post Number: 6
don't anybody reply or anything ;)

Peas
Unregistered guest
"don't anybody reply or anything ;) "

We figured anyone who didn't understand that being shocked by your cable box wasn't normal, certainly wouldn't understand a meaningful reply.

Peas

Maryland USA

Post Number: 7
:p

cableguy
Unregistered guest
sure wish I had a dollar everytime that happened to me lol...
~waves hello to Peas...how's that CC working?~

Maryland USA

Post Number: 9
I'm asking if anyone knows what causes this, if it can damage my equipment, if it could cause interference, if it means the cable isn't grounded correctly, etc.

Bronze Member

Maryland USA

Post Number: 11
If any non-smartasses want to answer (cableguy excluded) I'll be at http://www.audioholics.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us