Lamp Replacement and Warranty

Username: Madmax389

Post Number: 1
I've been doing the research for several months now and have been discouraged by the high cost of replacement lamps on DLP and LCD Projection TV's I had narrowed my search down to the Sony KDF50WE655 or the Sammy 5063. My research showed the cost of the lamps for the Sony was lower ($179 lowest I could find vs about $279 for the Sammy), but maybe the life of the Samsung lamp is longer.

This TV will probably stay on for more than 12 hours per day, so I figure the worst case for lamp replacement will be every 6 to 12 months. That's a lot of moolah to shell out to keep a TV running.

Normally I don't pay for extended warranties, but in this case I think it's worth it as long as the warranty covers the cost of bulb replacement. The best extended warranty I have found so far is directly from Sony http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/EW_ViewExt endedWarranty-Detail?CategoryName=Consumer%20Electronics&TabName=Features&Telesa les=(as posted in an earlier thread). I used their live help feature and found out that the warranty DOES cover lamp replacement. This means I can order from a reputable online dealer like OneCall (as low as $2150 on sale) for hundreds less than BB or CC. A 5 year warranty from Sony is $289 (about half the cost of major retailers). The overall cost savings for the 50WE655 going this route is about $700 to $800. I can have it delivered to my door with a five year lamp replacement warranty for about $2600. Cost from major reatailer works out to about $3400 to $3600 (if it goes on sale).

The only gamble is that lamp prices do not come down to a reasonable level in the next five years. Hopefully third party manufacturers will enter the market and drive the cost down (think ink cartridges).

Just my thoughts,
MadMax

DLP4me!
Unregistered guest
Your lamp price on the Samsung is way off!

BP96-00837A ASSY LAMP P DP,L3 LAMP,PHILIPS 120W,E22, $199.99

http://www.samsungparts.com/search/search.asp?searchflag=model%5Fpart&brandname= Samsung&division=16&modelno=hlp5063w&keyword=lamp&modelid=285815&key%5Fuse=yes

Username: Madmax389

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the correction. Do you know if Samsung offers a warranty similar to Sony's?

MadMax

DLP4me!
Unregistered guest
It's one year parts and labor.
I have used Samsung Service and it's excellent!
You can buy several good extended warranties that pay for themselves by covering lamps.

Lamps are very easy to replace and with DLP it's like having a new tv every two years. The display will never discolor or fade like LCD.

The price of lamps will eventually drop significantly.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us