HDTV Componant questions

Username: Hdtv_ready

Post Number: 1
How do I select an HDTV componant? I have a Sony KV-40XBR800 and it is HDTV ready. I am currently viewing Digital Cable without HDTV channels.

However I have read that there are upconverters which will change the quality to Near HDTV quality. Is there a conversion type componant out there that will utilize the DVI connection on the back of the TV? Has anyone seen anything like this or am I smoking the hippy lettuce?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Hippy lettuce it is, next thing you'll be asking us how to spin straw into gold.

xvxvxvx

Anonymous

"upconverting" is a myth created to allow companies to sell (stop-gap) sub-HD components of verious kinds

the old term was more honest - they were called "line doublers" used for example with laser disc players

THIS is precisely why TOSHIBA and Sony are dropping over a billion dollars to to develop true HD dvd players

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 104
DVD players with upconversion circuitry can sometimes, depending on DVD quality, make subtle enhancements/improvements. However, until we have HD DVDs, don't expect to see a major difference. It is not like going from standard television to HD. Don't let anyone tell you differently. To quote an old maxim: you can't turn a sow's ear into a silk purse (even with upconversion).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us