Remove screen on Mitsu WD-52525?

Username: Maynard69

Post Number: 1
I just bought a Mitsu 52525 with the high glare screen. I have read that some of you have removed yours and just not using any protective screen.

In your opinion, is the picture quality the same, better, or worse with that high glare screen removed?

Also, does it appear that the underlying screen is extra sensitive to damage or scratches? I have kids and am worried about them scratching the underlying screen too easily?

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 375
Matt,

I've seen a demo with the screen off, and somehow(not sure how), the screen seems to add a little contrast to HD images. I was able to hold diamond shield over half the screen for comparison.

I agree that the reflective properties of the screen are annoying, but I left mine on. Im fortunate that the glass doors directly behind my primary seating position have heavy drapes and if it's bright outside, I close the drapes and it kills the reflection enough so that it's not noticable.

I've had bigscreens before without the shield, and they take a pretty good beating from the kiddies. When my daughter was small, she especially enjoyed banging on the screen. My unprotected screen had a rough texture, and wasnt succeptable to scratches, but I was worried that she might crack it. Needless to say, she spent her fair share of time in 'time-out' and the screen survived. They're pretty flexable, and luckily she only banged with her hands, and not a bat.

Username: Maynard69

Post Number: 5
Thanks for that feedback, Paul, that's a great help.

The only complaint I have right now on my WD-52525 is this green shadowing / ghosting that I often see. Even my kids noticed it. It is most noticeable when a scene changes or fades to a black screen. You can see an outline / ghost image of the previous screen in a dark subtle green. I have also noticed that certain images will show a strong green tint to them while watching a DVD. The only way I can seem to "fix" it is to turn the green down to a very low level (like 13). But then I am afraid I am cutting down the legitimate green levels too much. Have you noticed or heard about this issue? I remember reading some bits here-and-there about this issue, but I do not know what the fix is (if there is one).

Thanks for your help!

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 380
Matt,
Sorry, I've never seen that on my TV. Is it just with DVDs, or does it also do that with TV sources??
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us