Picture view settings on DCT6412

Username: Eaw

Post Number: 7
Hi-

I recently had this Motorola STB installed by Comcast for my Sony 42WE655. Is there a setting I need to change on the STB for 4:3 and 16:9 views? For example, on local HD channels, the picture seems to be coming through in 4:3? Is this the way the channel is being broadcast or is this how the STB is displaying the picture? Is HD broadcast in both 4:3 and 16:9? The installation guys did not leave any literature on the STB so I'm lost on how to adjust the settings, etc. I assumed it was default for a widescreen TV, but it could have very well have been used for a 4:3 TV...

Thanks.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
All programs shown on an HD channel are not transmitted in High Definition. It will display SD programming in 4:3 and Hi-Def in 16:9. On local network channels nearly all daytime programming is SD not HD so you will see a 4:3 ratio display.

xvxvxvx

Post Number: 8
Thanks xvxvxvx

Is it possible any of the settings in the STB would affect how the picture looks on my TV? Are the default settings for the STB geared towards widescreen TV's and HD broadcasts?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Are you seeing any programming in the 16:9 aspect ratio? If so your set top box (STB) is operating properly. Just look at your guide, and find a program in Hi-Def and see if it is really in Hi-DEf.

To specifically answer your question, yes, the box determines how all your pictures will look. The STB defaults wull depend on your local cable company's policies and the installer.

xvxvxvx

Post Number: 9
I apologize if this is a completely ignorant question.

When I view a program that is in Hi-Def it should extend the width of my screen, with the black borders on the top and bottom of picture? Could a Hi-Def program be coming through with borders completely surrounding the image? If so, is that the programming or STB assigning those borders?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Ethan,

I can see now you can be a career project. :-) Here is what we will do, please describe every possible combination of picture ( ie: Black bars on sides, black bars on top and sides, black bars on top only, 4:3 ratio, 16:9 ratio, etc.)you are seeing along with the channel (ie: HBOHD, ESPN-HD, Local HD channel, etc.) and the name of the show or movie you are watching.

If you will do that in return I will analyze and explain in detail. You know, it is OK to just sit back and be entertained by TV without stressing out right?

xvxvxvx

Post Number: 10
Ok-

I'll start a journal. You're right - I shouldn't stress. Just wanted to make sure that everything was correctly set after spending all this money. Thanks again.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us