Samsung 63-67 series versus the 74 series

Username: Russtri

Post Number: 1
Hi everyone, just found this website and was hoping to get some information on the Samsung p4663w-or p4667w series. Is the p4674 Samsung that much better then the 60 series. I know you can get the 60 series for a lot cheaper. Also, has any body every bought a Samsung refurbished? Give me the pros and cons of refurbished..... Many Thanks

Anonymous

Buy the 74 it's worth the extra money. Refurbished is someones problem being pass down the line.

RaveD
Unregistered guest
74 uses the HD2+ chip which is widely regarded as producing a superior image to the HD3 used in the other sets.

DLP4me!
Unregistered guest
If you want to save some cash get the 63 series. You may have to overcome a warranty repair, which is no big deal since Samsung Service is excellent. However, you may never experience a single glitch. The HD3 chip produces a magnificent picture. I can't tell that the 74 is any better myself or I would have ordered it.
The 74 has a fine chip, though and far less production issues, but you will pay more for it. The difference is the slightly higher contrast ratio, meaning blacker blacks from the HD2+ Mustang. I think the HD3 produces excellent blacks in my 5063.
As for refurb, it's a gamble. The warranty should see you through it, though. It's a way to save a few more bucks. An extended warranty is a damn good idea in any case.
If you are a gamer the 5067 is currently the only Samsung with no A/V game lag.

Anonymous

Does Samsung still make the 74 series? I do not see it on its website. Before the new 67's were posted , the 74's were up there. Does this mean that samsung is soon to introduce the 77 series? (I believe it is the same look/chip as the 74's but with the similar upgrades as seen in the 67's over the 63's)

DLP4me!
Unregistered guest
Yes! There are thousands of 74's out there.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?sort_type=price&masterid=5029645& isbn=&pid=

The presently available 67 series has a cablecard slot and no A/V gaming lag.

The unavailable 77 series will be a different chip, a cablecard slot, and no A/V gaming lag.

asdfasdfasdfasdfasdf
Unregistered guest
when should we see the 77 series out on the market?
regarding the chip, will the replacement one be the xHD3 1080P?

DLP4me!
Unregistered guest
It's on their website, but I don't think it's been released in the states.
Anyone's guess as to when!
Looks like the digital cablecard version with the HD2+ chip. It's taking the place of the 74.

http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?eUser=&pr od_id=HLR5677WX%2fXAA

PaulF
Unregistered guest
I just ordered the HLR-4677 from ListenUp in Colorado. I was told that the 77's shipped last week and will be available at his store on 3/29. I was able to order mine for roughly $2450 with shipping (same price as the 74's). I don't plan on using the cable card or built in tuner as TimeWarner will replace my DVR with a HD-DVR with HDMI outputs.

I figure newer is better. Does anyone know if there are any other improvments with the 77's from the 74's?

DLP4me!
Unregistered guest
It should be free of A/V sync issues and Video gaming lag.

Let us know!

Paul F.
Unregistered guest
Will do! I have been looking for a reason to dust off my PS2 and use it again. Have you heard anything about how well PC games play on the 74/77's utilizing the DVI cable?

DLP4me!
Unregistered guest
Sure haven't.
I've seen threads about using the "Powerstrip" driver.
I think they are using the regular monitor connection, though.

Maybe someone else can chime in.

Anonymous

How do you contact ListenUP to order?

PaulF
Unregistered guest
Call "Andy" at ListenUp - 1-888-547-8687. He said to mention my name "Paul" so he will know how you got his name. He is expecting his HLR-4677's to arrive at his shop in Colorado this week.

PaulF
Unregistered guest
Update - I have had my new HLR-4677W for about 2 weeks now and am absolutely blown away. The TV is hooked up to the my TimeWarner DVR box via component cables (TW did not have the DVR boxes with HDMI outputs in stock). The HD channels are better than real life and the SD channels are not bad at all. I stretch all of my channels to full screen 16:9 and the picture quality is still very good (even for standard cable). I have not seen any rainbows, the screen is smudge free, and everything is working great.

I hooked up my old PS2 via the RGA jacks and did not experience any lags. I am more of a PC gamer anymore and was not that impressed with the PS2 video quality, but I think it has more to do with the video cable connections and figuring out how to enable progressive scan.

Overall - very happy with my purchase. The 46" size works great in my room and the picture brightness is great even though the TV is in a corner between a south and west facing window with full sun!

almost committed
Unregistered guest
Hi. I've been following these threads for a while and am finally ready to pull the trigger. There has been talk about color wheel bearing issues which I think DLP4Me has said that he got replaced with an air bearing. Is that how these new HLRXX77 come now (with an air bearing)?

Reply to almost
Unregistered guest
That's correct!

Mischwar
Unregistered guest
PaulF I have the 74 with TW and same setup. When you say you stretched it with 16:9 i take it you are talking about non hd/dig channels. should this stretch the picture to the full screen? or just more than the 4:3? thanks

PaulF
Unregistered guest
Hi Mischwar - I went into settings on my TW box and set the default for 16:9 and 4:3 "stretch" (I think). This allows me to use the Samsung remote to switch between the two aspect ratios. I still can't use (Panaroma, Zoom1, Zoom2 etc.) This may be due to using the component cables which gives the cable box control. I have read on this forum about sellecting "pass through" as an output, but I can't find that option on the TW box.

Some of my HD programming (NBC and ABC) will not fill the whole screen. I think it has to do with the output being 480/720 as opposed to 1080i. However, I can watch non-hd network channels full screen (16:9) if I can tolerate the loss of clarity (which is not bad at all).

Not sure if I answered your question - hope it helped.

Mischwar
Unregistered guest
Thanks Paul that did the trick. I was going to look into buying dvi/hdmi cables...you ever look into it?

PaulF
Unregistered guest
I have read that dvi/hdmi may not be as good as component cables for certain TV's. Since there are so many different cable boxes and tv's - the digital conversion through dvi/hdmi is not consistent from set to set. Everyone says that you simply have to try them out and see if they work better.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us