Extended Warranties

Anonymous

I was wondering if any of you purchased extended warranties and if that extra money is worth it.

Large screen TVs, being relatively new technology and many reports of people having problems with their TVs, it would appear to be a prudent choice.

How much did you pay for an extended warranty?

Adios
Unregistered guest
Yes. We bought an LCD rp with a 4 year extended warranty from Circuit City. Normally, it is $500 but he gave it to us for $450.

If the tv's bulb goes, we are covered, if anything goes we are covered in fact. If we need to bring it in 3 times for anything at all, they will replace it.

Anonymous

AVOID EXTENDED WARRANTIES - PUT THE 400 to 500 DOLLARS instead into a bank savings account

The biggest ripoff happens at the BIG BOX retail stores, where salespeople are brainwashed to say any damn thing to sell the "PSP"

FACT: last yr, 100% of Circuit City's and 50% of BEST BUY's operating profit came from selling extended warranties

Nearly all products have a FREE MANUFACTURER'S ONE YEAR IN-HOME WARRANTY, and if anything goes wrong after 30 days - you are usually going to be dealing with the manufacturer or an authorized service center anyways

Read a PSP agreement, there are about 99 exceptions, with many things not covered. Litigation is common in many states about how these PSPs can be inconsistent with the verbal claims made by the salesperson on the floor

Be aware if you actually try to buy a TV w/o the PSP, the wrath of hell will descend upon you, with layers and layers of salespeople telling you how dumb you are. However, all you have to do is say "no thankyou" to 5 different people, and you won't have to buy the PSP. However be aware of the "sudden mysterious stockout" which sometimes can happen when they find out you are actually NOT buying the extended warranty. This is not legal so its only a delay tactic

Now why does the wrath of hell descend upon you?

BECAUSE 95% OF THE PROFIT IS IN SELLING THE EXTENDED WARRANTY

PSP'S take away your bargaining power. One you sign, and its off the manufacturer's free warranty, they do the fix if at all. You have no choice about where and with whom it will be fixed by

DLP4me!
Unregistered guest
Anon's got a bug up is as$!

I paid $350 for my Phillips 5 year warranty and it covers lamps. Two lamps and it pays for itself, regardless of whatever else may happen to these new inventions.
Anon's mind set is not applicable to multi-thousand dollar rear projection high def televisions. Get the warranty.

mr X
Unregistered guest
their great until you have to use it,
I had a top executive of a major chain
big box store fight me tooth and nail
just recently on why I should read the
fine print.

we'll the large print contradicted what the
small print said,so now the attorney general
of my state is investigating this company.

the initials of the store is b.b.

E.W's are a scam and I felt the same as dlp
until i got burnt.

anonymous keep preaching the truth ,I know I will!

anony GOOD POST!!!!!!

LCD reply to DLP4me!
Unregistered guest
Hey DLP4me!! How are you doing... now that our LCD/DLP arguments are through -- have you had to use your extended warranty you bought yet? I bought too, about 400 dollars. I know the bulb is going to go out in my Panny LCD at least once, maybe two or even three times within 4 years... so I figured it would be wise to get the warranty, what do you think?

Also, if the tv starts to show signs of performance issues, they told me all would be covered (it even seems to say this in the agreement booklet), so who knows.

Just curious what you've done with your warranty. How long is it and such.

LCD

DLP4me!
Unregistered guest
Hi LCD,

I think you did the right thing. It will pay for itself.
I have a Phillips Service Contract, which extends the original factory warranty, and I'm not concerned about it. Several work this way, though I understand that some don't. Some cover lamps for the duration and some just cover one or none. I'm still under the first year coverage for another few months. After that I have five years. Since I bought online, I saved $1200 on the set from what stores were charging. Getting a five year extention for $350 was painless, really. There is no fine print and the coverage is clearly stated.
I've heard bad things about BB's PSP and it will sour anyone to buy extended coverage. Why would anyone buy from BB anyway when you can save over a grand online.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 333
Extended warranties are nothing more than a very expensive insurance policy. You can hardly blame stores for selling them since it's virtually pure profit. If it's worth it to you to have that 'peace of mind', then go for it.....

IMO, you're throwing your money away, but that's just me. So long as its your money, I guess whatever decision you choose is the way to go.

Keep in mind, if there is a problem with your set, you'll find out 'right away' while it's still under factory warranty. Once you survive through your 1/2 year factory warranty, you'll more than likely coast through the next 3/4 years without incident and your $300-$500 insurance policy will net you a zero return.

Heck, I've probably "not spent" enough money on silly service contracts in the past 5-10 years, that I can replace several components out of pocket, and still have money left over.

Did your salesman try to tell you that your TV/Component will need mountains of mantenance in years 2-5??? :laugh: The salesman probably made a bigger commission off your insurance policy than by selling the TV.

mr X
Unregistered guest
dlp,

do you post here to insult and jab at people?

I have read other post of yours that insult and
jab at other people who are here to post, simply
because they have their own opinion and the same
interest in a/v equipment and home theater.

W.T.F do you care were other people spend their money? I have seen others here claim you are arrogant and I must say I agree.
posting a comment like this ;
"why would anyone buy from best buy....."

so now your the smartest and most wise of all?
please!!!!!!!!!

how do you know I didn't save over a grand ?
your quick to insult and jab even at other
peoples misfortune,that is so infantile.

why not something like? "mr X thats a bummer
hope it all works out for you"

to some it up your an a$$ ,that chinese poet
guy said it all when he told you to "grow up"

DLP4me!
Unregistered guest
Dear mr. X,

When you said, "E.W's are a scam" you insulted everyone on this forum that has purchased one. That makes you the arrogant as$, initially!

Did I step on your last nerve, or what?
There are two or more sides to everything.
I'm entitled to my opinions just like you.
If you are insulted, that's your problem, not mine!
BTW, the poet and I are on speaking terms.

I'm aware of BB's PSP and I'm sorry you are a casualty of it. However, they don't represent the entire EW market.
BB, CC, and others have inflated prices over online warehouses. It's a known fact. Just check Pricegrabber or Streetprices and it's very apparent. Some people just feel better paying more to buy from brick and mortar retail stores for whatever reason.
There was a time when I wouldn't consider extended coverage for anything. Vehicles, houses, and multi-thousand dollar new inventions have altered my thinking as I have been burned.

If calling me an arrogant as$ makes you feel better about lining the retailer's and salesman's pockets, so be it!
That's what you did and now look at the mess you're in!
Your statement is the pot calling the kettle black!

mr X
Unregistered guest
"whatever"
I just cut on psp's, not you as a individual
you pea brained primate.

I guess growing up is not and option for you,
by the way Im not in a mess the retailer has
the problem here .

Why would I set out to insult people who have
a extended warranty when that line of people
would include myself!?!?!?! DUH!! LOL

your mouth is bigger then your brain,
your opinion insinuated that anyone
buying from a store such as b.b. is less
intelligent so I guess you insulted all the
people on this post who shop there,
peabrain.

Anonymous

I HAVE SAVED PROBABLY OVER 5000 DOLLARS IN THE LAST 10 YRS JUST BY NOT BUYING EXTENDED WARRANTIES

My AE700U with the 92 inch mega screen was bought for a total of 2500 dollars

In a sense, I got it free, and have another 2500 dollars left over

HI DEF is a bargain if you know how to avoid the ripoff warranties

Username: Hcwhunter

Los Angeles, CA

Post Number: 2
I personally don't buy extended warranties on anything, electronics, cars, etc. I debated very seriously purchasing one for our new Mitsu 52525 due to the problems some have had. I decided not to since many CC companies like American Express will double the manufacturors warranty with all original coverage, up to 1 addtl. year, if you make the purchase using their card. I'm comfortable with 2 years coverage. FWIW.

HW

DLP4me!
Unregistered guest
You guys against EW's are missing the point!

Two lamps, gentlemen, and it's paid for!

Without an EW, you're going to buy them anyway!

For solid state stuff, they probably are a rip-off.

mr X,

You said, "Why would I set out to insult people who have a extended warranty".

I don't know why, but you did, and included yourself!
Your adolescent insults show your maturity level!

LCD
Unregistered guest
DLP4me! is right! If your bulb goes out, you're covered. If you bought a LCD or DLP tv your bulb is surely going to go out at least once over a 4 to 5 year period. Most likely more.

ALSO, if something major goes wrong in your tv, say a chip, mirror, etc., you are covered! These problems would have huge costs -- you would likely be looking for a new tv.

Anonymous

FACE THE FACTS

BEST BUY AND CIRCUIT CITY ARE NOT MAKING THE BULK OF THEIR PROFITS WITH PSPs unless the numbers favor them

THESE EXTENDED WARRANTIES ARE A COMPLETE WASTE FOR MOST BUYERS

Username: Vikingknut

Post Number: 4
I have always shied away from these extended warranties. However, I'll admit, I was tempted to get one with my DLP. I didn't because I try to stick by my guns, especially after articles I have read in the past that say they usually aren't worth it. I noticed you can buy replacement bulbs online for $250 to $325, depending on the set. What I'm curious about: Have any of the 1st gen DLP, LCD buyers that bought extended warraties been able to use it for a bulb replacement?

Username: Mrmagoo

Hanover, MA USA

Post Number: 1
I just bought a 55" Sony KDF-55WF655 and am hoping that they have solved the lamp life issues in this latest generation. I passed on the extended warranty from Sears (big $$$$), but am intrigued by the extended warranty offered by Sony on their website.
It is about $300 for 5 years. I normally avoid these but was wondering if anyone has had experience with the Sony EW?
Does anyone know if it would cover the lamps?

Username: Jagfan

Jacksonville, FL

Post Number: 3
Robert Ruck
I purchased a Sony KDF42WE655 from BB about 3 weeks ago. During my research I contacted Sony about their EW and whether it covered the bulb. They couldn't answer the question. I've read on other posts that is doesn't. However, I did contact Service Net who is the company that provides the Sony warranty. They said the bulb was covered. I read the warranty, but was still uncertain. Their price is certainly much better if they do cover the bulb. Being unsure, I paid the extra $$ and purchased the warranty at BB. I've had good luck with their program.

Silver Member

Post Number: 353
You new TVs are designed to last at least 10years, and if your salesman is using 'scare' tactics to sell a service contract, you should ignore him/her.

If you have problems with your TV, it will be while it is still under factory warranty because you bought a 'lemon', not because of the TV design.

Thanks

Los Angeles, CA

The businesses that underwrite and sell EW's aren't stupid! If they sell the EW for $300 and bulbs cost $250, then they obviously don't expect to replace more than 1 bulb, on average for each EW they sell! Just like ANY insurance product, they have factored in the probability that they will have to replace various parts for each set, on average, plus a profit margin. When you add in the administrative costs of underwriting, marketing, selling, and administering the programs, you should be able to see that they are charging MUCH MORE than the cost of the parts replaced ON AVERAGE for each EW. Yes, some folks with bad luck will save repair costs with an EW, that's how all insurance works. But for every HDTV buyer who saves repair cost money with an EW, there will be 2 or 3 who spent the money only for peace of mine (which has value too). Think about it from a business standpoint. Why would you sell an EW for $300 if you had a high probability of replacing 2 or 3 $250 bulbs during the EW period?

If I'm the unlucky guy who has to replace 2 bulbs myself, then yes, I would have been better off with an EW. But when I look back on 3 TV's, 3 or 4 new cars, fridge, washer drier, several other electronic devices and appliances, etc. that I have never purchased one for and virtually NONE have failed within the period of an EW, I am already money ahead!

HW

Silver Member

Post Number: 357
I agree completely......

I dont think I've ever had a product fail during an extended warranty period, in spite of only buying one once. Ok, I confess...I did buy one once 10 years ago when I bought my first bigscreen TV and it was a complete waste of money.

If something fails, it's usually right out of the box or during it's factory warranty because the product was defective, not because of product design.

I dont fault those who want the 'security blanket', since I even did it once. In general though, if you look at it in a business sense, they're a complete waste of money. It's hard to put a value on the 'peace of mind' for those that like to worry so you cant fault them.

Of all the 'big ticket' items Ive bought over the past 20 years, only once did I give in the the insurance policy.

If only I had that $400 back, it would pay for a brand new quality DVD recorder......:laugh:

I mean, c'mon....it's one thing to insure your house to protect against a devastating loss. It's quite another to insure your tv because you worry that a $250 bulb 'might' burn out. I dont sweat the little things.

heck, I've only had my 65" for about 4 months, and I already want a replacement.....

Geesh...If only I had looked at projectors back when I was shopping!!! I want a 10footer now:-)

Username: Ledgeroni

The extended warranties are no different than auto insurance. you buy it and hope you never need it. to say that they are a waste is implying that if you don't get in an accident, you didn't get your money's worth. Insurance companies make money by hoping to pay out in claims what they take in in premium. They make their money by the investment income it generates. I look at like a piece of mind policy so I can enjoy the set, not worry about how much it cost.

Anonymous

Why asssume replacement bulbs will be constant in price going forward? Rear projection HDTV is now a mass market item, not a specialty item, and for consumer electronics history suggests there will be rapid prices drops as the quantity of projection TV's continues to expand, with most probably made in China

100 dollar replacement bulbs are likely a few years out

Los Angeles, CA

Yup, I agree with the price of bulbs likely to drop. As soon as the installed base gets large enough, we'll start seeing mass producers marketing replacement bulbs just like mass producers started marketing computer memory, hard drives, RW-DVD's etc. Like I said before, the "peace of mind" factor is very valid. Auto insurance isn't really a valid comparison though since it's required, but if you don't have a loan on your car you can forego collision and comprehensive. I carry homeowners insurance that'll cover the TV in case of fire or theft and your car's collision insurance won't cover any mechanical problems or defects like a service warranty does. It's also a matter of scale since most cars worth insuring cost many, many times as much as an HDTV. What is the deductible for your car insurance? $250? $500?

HW

Silver Member

Post Number: 361
Hunter,

I completely agree......

How can you compare car insurance with a service contract on a TV??

I liked your comparison showing how the 'TV' claim will likely be smaller dollar amount than the typical deductable for car insurance.

Definitely apples to oranges....

Shelling out a couple hundred dollars to get a TV fixed is one thing, but when you're talking about insuring a car, it's a different thing entirely.

Now if you want to compare it to buying a service contract on a new freezer that you bought....Ok, im with ya on that 'apples to apples'. I tend to lump Tvs, stereos, and appliances into the same bushel basket as it relates to service contracts, and I take a pass on all of them...:laugh: Needless to say, I dont lose any sleep worrying if any one of them needs servicing.

When it comes to electronics equipment, I almost hope it breaks down after so many years. Can you think of a better reason to upgrade??

Silver Member

Post Number: 362
A funny and true story, but one that will have all of the 'wives' buying service contracts forever.

In late november, my 4 1/2 year old sat/box died. No biggie since the standard version only costs about $50. While I was at the store, I thought that it would be a good idea to buy a HDsat box, since my bigscreenTV was already 10 years old, and wasnt going to live forever. I've wanted to go HD for awhile, but never put too much thought into upgrading, nor had I ever looked at Tvs.

Anyway, I went ahead and bought the HDbox and hooked it up, and my problem was fixed, but while I was shopping for the box, I took a long hard look at a few 65" HDTVs and was drooling all over myself. Sure enough, I bought the 65"Mitsubishi within one week.

Once I got the new TV home and had it hooked up, I couldnt help but notice all of the coaxial and optical inputs for 5.1 surround. Once again, I was drooling over myself, but my 1990 Pioneer receiver had no digital inputs because it was the 'old' outdated dolby pro logic. I also couldnt help to notice that my 1996 DVD player had no coaxial or optical inputs either. I thought....sheesh, what a bummer. How can I have this great new TV, and not even be able to listen in 'true' surround sound??

Needless to say, in january, I replaced both my receiver, and DVD player too. Since I was previously running a 5 speaker surround system, and my new receiver was a 7.1 receiver, of course I had to go out and buy two more speakers for the back channels. Plus, not to mention all of those darned cables, etc...etc...etc. I even looked into replacing my old front speakers too, but decided against replacing them because I couldnt find exactly what I wanted.

All of this happened because my $50 RCA satellite receiver died........Heh

Maybe that service contract isnt such a bad idea?

PS
Yes, Im still married. The Mrs. actually enjoys the new setup:-)

Steven A. Smith
Unregistered guest
Well I've had a dlp tv now for 3 years that I got from best buy and I bought the
service contract for 2 reasons.

One as other peole have said the bulb replacement is expensive and my contract covered it!

Two you have to deal with the salesmen, when they ask about the contract you say
well if the tv was a little cheaper I surely would but I'm allready streched!
They go talk to there boss and come back with a price of half now on the plan!
So I paid $150 for my plan and have had 2 bulb replacements!
While warrenties on some things are a scam and not worth it, some are worth it.
You just have to decide if your product justifies the warrenty, and on tv's that need
replacement bulbs it's worth it and if you get it at the right price.

Not all tv's need the bulb replacement so do your homework and see how long your's
is going to last if your big screen uses one!

Again it's not a 1 size fits all situation, some warrenties on some products are worth it!
While others are just money makers for the company selling them!

Username: Jimtlange

Clearwater, FL United States

A couple thoughts.

1. My brother and sisters and I pitched in and bought our parents a 32" Sony WEGA exactly two years ago. We declined the salesman's pitch for an EW. After all, aren't TVs made to last 10 years? Tonight, my mother calls and one of the conversation topics is the fact that the WEGA's picture has begun jittering intermittently on all cable channels and with DVD or VHS. Now we wish we HAD bought the EW but it's too late.:o(

2. I live in the Tampa, Fla. area -- the lightning capital of the planet. More electronic goods get destroyed here during lightning storms than anywhere I can imagine. Yes, we have surge suppressors and UPSs, but lightning has a way of ignoring the cheaper surge suppressors and just blasts past them. Because we've lost a number of appliances to lightning over the past five years, I went ahead and bought EWs on my UMAX scanner and HP printer. Both developed problems around 18 months (probably related to lightning), and both were replaced with equal, newer models by the store where we bought the EWs.

3. Not all EWs are the same. For major Apple purchases, I buy mail order first and at CC if I'm desperate. For major PC purchases, I buy at OD first due to the better EW for less money and the more lenient guidelines for replacement. Yes, EWs are profit for the store and bonus money for the sales person, but few brick and mortars are truly making money selling computer products these days. Yeah, I want the lowest possible price, too, but when everyone prices product like W-M, then the idea of a living wage and basic benefits disintegrates---along with the American business spirit.

Putting a few more bucks into the pocket of some part-timer who's making $7 an hour with no health benefits is not such a bad thing.

Maybe you would simply prefer that brick and mortars go away just because you've been burned by an EW or didn't have to use it. Or you just don't understand or care that "no profits" eventually leads to "out of business." So what. Put more people on the streets. Send jobs to other countries.

Me, I prefer to see, touch and try out the bigger stuff I'm going to buy.

Username: Jimtlange

Clearwater, FL United States

Correction:

"3. Not all EWs are the same. For major Apple purchases, I buy mail order first and at CUSA..."

Anonymous

EXTENDED WARRANTIES = JUNK

Anon2
Unregistered guest
NO WARRANTY = TV is JUNK

Username: Madmax389

EXTENDED WARRANTIES = JUNK... Normally I would agree, UNLESS you know (like I do) that the cost of lamps for the next five years is more than the cost of a five year warranty. Simple math no calculator required...

Sony 5 year warranty including lamp replacement for a KDF50WE655 is $289 from Sony (regardless of where you buy the TV, so if you buy a Sony DON'T buy the high priced CC or BB extended warranty). http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/750521209 at 12 hrs per day this is about 6 months. Mine will probably stay on longer because of family at home most of the day and my wife and I are night folks.

Figure at worst 10 lamps in five years at $200 per lamp = $2000! in lamps. Savings is about $1700 by purchasing warranty.

Anything more than a SINGLE lamp replacement will pay for the warranty. 'Nuf said...

MadMax

Hanover, MA USA

Post Number: 6
I spoke to the Sears sales rep and got more info about their EW. It covers lamps, bad pixels, broken remotes and other items that Sony considers "cosmetic". At about $100 a year I'm leaning toward getting this just for the peace of mind.

Jacksonville, FL

Post Number: 7
Danny (Madmax389)
Your link didn't work for me. I've been trying to purchase the EW on the SOnyStyle website and have been told I can't. Its been difficult getting accurate info from Sony Style. Purchased my TV from BB along with their EW. Canceled BB's EW because I saw the prices of Sony warranty. Do you know someone who has actually purchased the EW from Sony? I'd appreciate any tips or phone numbers/contacts to reach someone in the know.

Hanover, MA USA

I don't think you can order the Sony EW via the web. I think you have to call 877-865-SONY

jagfan,

I haven't yet purchased the TV. I'm waiting for one of Onecall's 10% off sales, but I did use the "Live Sales Help" feature at the Sonystyle website. The rep was responsive and told me that you need to call them to order the warranty. (877-865-SONY like MrMagoo said). Admittedly the warranty will only be as good as the service and I haven't used a Sony extended warranty before. There is a certain comfort in being able to call BB or CC (but not at twice the pirce). What I really wanted to know was whether they would replace the lamp simply by sending the old one into them or does a repair guy have to come out? If thats the case, it could be some number of days (or weeks) before a burned lamp would be replaced. If I can remove the lamp, send it in and get a replacement, then I would be tempted to buy a spare lamp at my cost and use it while the new one comes in. This way you would always have a spare with very little downtime for replacement.

Let us know if you're able to buy the warranty...

MadMax

Anonymous

Got a sony projection with warranty from tweeter. bulb went out on the 14 months. guy came out and replaced.

Username: Sr_immortal

It is about the peace of mind. And how many people on these forums have had their TVs for 18 months and something big broke. And it was out of the 1yr manufacturers warranty.

When I bought my first xbox, I bought it through Ebay for twice as much as it is now. It burned up on me in less than a year. The next one I bought I got a BB. I got the extended warranty for like $30. I have had 4 new xboxes since then from BB and have only had to pay a total of $60. So 4 brand new xboxes for $60 because I bought the extended warranty...not bad if I say so myeself.

Silver Member

Post Number: 411
geez, with all of these bulb issues, it's amazing that anybody even buys DLPs.

Danny, if you're planning on buying retail, dont bother waitig for a sale because you can negotiate your own price anyway. I wouldnt even settle for 10% off. Negotiation is the fun part!

If you're believable, you should be able to get at least 20% off any big ticket electronics item.

I do:-)

Bronze Member
Username: Xgrizzlyx

Post Number: 83
lol this is great. What to do what to do.

I think if the warrenty covers the bulbs and you can count on replaceing 2 bulbs you basicaly paying for the bulbs up front :D

But 1 thing the warrenty companies aren't paying retail for replacement bulbs like You and i would. The are paying a small fraction of that 300 retail bulb.

now if you are saving 10% on the tv you could consider it a free warrenty paying the tv's price.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
another thing. I've had a 36": crt tv for the past 7 years and never once had a problem.

paying 3-6 grand for a tv that will have problems in 14 months. I'm still considering a crt rptv

Jacksonville, FL

Post Number: 8
Danny (Madmax389)

Here's the scoop I rec'd today. Sony offers two different EWs and the breakdown is as follows:

1. Sony Extended Service Dept (1-800-378-4590). Per a rep named Alicia, the warranty is offered by a third party called A-on(sp?) EW begins upon the expiration of Sony mfg's warranty. If you registered your product, Sony will contact you about a month or two prior to its expiration and offer the EW. The EW does NOT cover the bulb and the cost is as follows: 1 yr = $135, 2 yr = $260 and $3 yr = $520.

2. Per a rep named Jennifer, Sony Style offers an EW through a third party called Service Net. You can't order online (but as Mr McGoo previously mentioned) must call Sony Style at 1-877-865-SONY. The EW does NOT cover the bulb and the EW is effective the date of product purchase. You have until 30 days prior to the expiration of the mfg's warranty to purchase the EW. Cost is 3 yrs = $150, 4yrs = $200, and 5 yrs = $280 (keep in mind that the EW is effective from date of TV purchase).

The second option would be great if it covered the bulb.

Hanover, MA USA

Post Number: 8
HMMMMMM If the most common problem is bulb burnout and that is what most people are concerned about then the SONY EW seems fairly worthless. I will probably go with the EW offered from SEARS $299 for 3 years or $599 for 5 years. It starts from when the set is delivered and runs concurrently with the manufacturers warranty. I was put off by this at first until I was told that SEARS basically covers any problem.
I understand that if you have issues with pixels burning out SONY requires a certain percentage of the total number of pixels to be bad before they will consider it a defect (not sure about this and apologies for the very non-technical explanation).
The SEARS EW also includes annual maintenance visit to clean etc...
My experience with Sears EW is that they are pretty much a 'no questions asked' service department. If they have an EW with you they fix any problem. I'm not thrilled with having to buy an extended warranty on what is already an expensive piece of equipment, but the piece of mind will be worth it.

Post Number: 5
jagfan,

Thanks for the research. Seems like the Live Help guy was wrong. I will call them and see if I get the same answer.

I agree with Grizzly about CRT's. I've had a 20" Mitsubishi I bought in 1982 thats still going strong. I would buy RPCRT but it simply won't fit in the space that I want to put it in. I HATE EW's and would not buy one if it were not for the bulb life issue.

To Paul, believe me, I never pay retail and yeah, half the fun is negotiation but even 20% off retail at Sears, BB, or CC is not enough to compete with some reputable mail order companies. (e.g. KDF50WE655 = $3000 retail - 20% = $2400 + 6.5% tax = $2556. OneCall.com has listed this TV at $2150 in the past + $140 shipping = $2290). Now I have gotten Sears to match an Internet add for an item at Best Buy that was out of stock and give me the 10% difference and a rebate. Paid $320 for a $700 dishwasher :-)

MadMax

Bronze Member

Hanover, MA USA

Post Number: 11
Danny - Sears seems to be the best for price matching in my experience. I got about $5000 worth of appliances for about $3000 because of a price match, special sale and other discounts. I bought a KDF55WF65 for about $2500 last week. The discounts make paying for the EW a little easire to take.

Jacksonville, FL

Post Number: 9
MrMagoo and Danny too
The EW plot thickens. I contacted Service Net (the company that underwrites the EW from Sony Style (item #2 from my previous post) and inquired about bulb coverage. Here's the reply I received from Jamie Harrel:

Dear.....
" Thank you for contacting us for information regarding our warranties. Please understand we do cover the bulb for this tv under our terms and conditions. Upon purchasing the warranty, you will receive a list of detailed terms and conditions. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact us back."

So who is correct? Of course, I'm hoping the person from Service Net. Danny, I'm anxious to learn of your inquiry with Sony Style regarding the bulb. I'd buy the Sony Style/Service Net Ew if the bulb were covered.

Bronze Member

Hanover, MA USA

Post Number: 12
In effect they are saying "Please ssend us your money and we will tell you what you bought".

I would assume that if you had an email from a representative of the comapny then you could hold that over them if they balked at replacing the bulb or get your money back if the terms and conditions conflicted with what they emailed.

I guess I don't understand why these companies can't publish the details of the warranty and allow consumers to make an informed decision.

Silver Member

Post Number: 421
Danny,

Sweet.......way to go!! I agree, that if you're talking mail order over the web, it's a whole different ballgame.

Post Number: 6
OK, Now I'm really confused! Here is the result of my investigation: This is the transcipt of my "Live Help" chat with Marcus from SonyStyle:

Discussion Thread
Chat Transcript 03/18/2005 07:32 AM
Hi, my name is Marcus. How may I help you?
Danny: Hi Marcus
Danny: Can I purchase and extended warranty for a 50" LCD projection TV even if I purchase it from another vendor?
Marcus: Yes, you can.
Marcus: When you buy any Large Screen TV from sonystyle.com (30" and above), we'll deliver your new TV to your home, place it in your room of choice, unpack it, plug it in, and clean up the mess.
Danny: For LCD projection TV's, does the warranty cover the cost of replacement bulbs?
Marcus: Yes, it does.
Marcus: Wouldn't you prefer to place an order online at Sony Style?
Danny: Well, yes but the cost is considerably more...
Danny: If you can price match from an authorized online dealer, I will consider it
Danny: One last question about the extended warranty...
Danny: Does the language of the contract specifically mention bulb replacement
Marcus: Well, it covers parts and labor.
Danny: I expect this TV will be on a lot. The specifications say the life of the bulb is 2000 hours meaning the bulb might have to be replaced every 3 to 5 months. The warranty will cover this right?
Marcus: Yes, warranty covers it.
Danny: How do I purchase the warranty?
Marcus: You can call 800-378-4590 to purchase an extended warranty for the television.
Danny: Great. Thanks Marcus you have been very helpful...
Marcus: Thank you for visiting SonyStyle.com. Please feel free to contact us for further assistance.
Marcus: disconnected

After your post jagfan, I called SonyStyle and spoke with Bob. Bob wasn't sure about the warranty and passed me to Tom. Tom initially said no, the lamps are not covered. I pressed a little harder about the inconsistent answers from their live help and jagfan's indication that Service Net would cover the lamp and he said he really didn't know and that his information might be wrong. Maybe SonyStyle is training them to say no so folks wont ask for a lamp when it fails?

I then called Service Net and spoke to Lisa in customer service and she did not know what a rear projection TV lamp was or whether it was covered. She put me on hold for a few minutes to go find out. When she came back on the line she asked "Is that like a projector bulb?" I said yes and she said yes it's covered. I asked her to fax me a copy of a service contract and she said she couldn't do that because I had to get it from Sony.

Whoever thought that buying a stupid TV would be worse than buying a house? I think they are leaving themselves a big loophole not to cover the lamp since they are only now probably realizing how often they have to be replaced with these new TV sets. Seems they are used to replacing projector bulbs but the projectors probably don't get as much use as a TV.

The bottom line is I don't know what to do and may just wait for CRT rear projection to get thinner :-)

MadMax

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
lol right on mad max :D

THanks for all the work finding out this stuff.

Jacksonville, FL

Post Number: 10
Did you ever think buying an EW could be such a production? The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing at Sony. Thank goodness we weren't inquiring about brain surgery.

MadMax- the 800-378-4590 is the # to the Sony EW Dept. Their warranty is provided by Aon and is totally separate from that offered by Sony Style - although the online reps will give you the above # to call for the warranty rather than the 877 # at Sony Style. (See my 22 Mar - 5pm post - item #1 is Sony EW Dept - Aon EW info and the Service Net warranty is outlined in item #2.)

The online reps, at Sony Style aren't familiar with either warranty product and are merely responding via a script as I got virtually the same when I called.

I'll probably wait a bit longer and then order
the EW through Sony Style / Service Net since both of our contacts at Service Net indicated the bulb was covered. If after receiving the paperwork I learn the bulb isn't covered I'll get my money back. You have 30 days to obtain a refund. Wish I knew someone who has dealt with these folks.

HD Fanatic
Unregistered guest
Does anyone know the latest low-down on the PSP from BB? I read the terms and conditions front to back and no where does it state that the bulb is covered, and under the general exclusions it even states that consumable parts are NOT covered(knobs, remotes, batteries, bags, belts etc).I guess bulbs could fall under "etc". When I asked the manager about this, he assured me that the bulb was covered. I told him that I wanted to see it in writing, and he said that he had no other literature to prove it. Sooo, am I supposed to take his word for it? Frankly I think he's full of $hit and I plan on getting a refund for the EW, unless I have something in writing that's legit.

If anyone has more info on this please let me know.

Anonymous

NOT BUYING A PSP in the first place is the best way to unshackle yourself and BE FREE from these idiotic extended warranties and their one-sided legal constraints, with vendors and their agents who will resist fixing nearly every claim

Bronze Member

Jacksonville, FL

HD Fanatic - If BB won't specify in writing whether or not projection bulbs are covered, they maintain the upper hand and replacing them is at their discretion. I initially purchased the BB EW and canceled it last week (without penaly because it was within 30 days of purchase) for the reasons you outlined. Just too many unknowns.

HD Fanatic
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the info jagfan. Looks like I'll be canceling mine as well.

inthesameboataboutaEW
Unregistered guest
Directly off Sonys website, amazing how they say it covers all parts, but what they don't say exactly what parts are covered.

It reads good, but the devil is in the details.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/EW_ViewExt endedWarranty-Detail?CategoryName=Consumer%20Electronics&TabName=TC&Telesales=

No where does it say Bulbs are excluded from the plan.

inthesameboataboutaEW
Unregistered guest
Directly off Sonys website, amazing how they say it covers all parts, but what they don't say exactly what parts are covered.

It reads good, but the devil is in the details.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/EW_ViewExt endedWarranty-Detail?CategoryName=Consumer%20Electronics&TabName=TC&Telesales=

No where does it say Bulbs are excluded from the plan.

HD Fanatic
Unregistered guest
To all,
I was in BB yesterday and talked to the manager again about the bulb replacement on their PSP. I was finally able to get something from him that states the bulb is covered. I guess the brochure that they give everyone is outdated and has not been updated, which I find a little hard to believe because they supposedly started covering bulbs in July of 04.

I'm still undecided as to if I am going to buy this EW. I cancelled the plan when I exchanged my TV for a larger model. The bulbs for my TV cost about 275.00 online and the cost of the PSP is 400.00, so it might not be too bad of a deal.

The manager also said that if someone bought a TV with the PSP before the July 04 date, that they will retroctively include them. If anyone is interested in obtaining a copy of this, reply back with you e-mail address and I will send you a copy.

inthesameboataboutaEW
Unregistered guest
Actually I heard the same thing when I was at my local BB here in Chicago yesterday. He said the older PSP will grandfather people in.

Interesting to say at least. Perhaps too many people complaing and talking to the point the boxstores had to do something about it.

Anonymous

HERE IS THE ACTUAL LEGAL CONTRACT JUST TAKEN OFF THE BEST BUY WEB SITE FOR 50 INCH PANASONIC PROJECTION LCD AND 'MASSACHUSETTS" AS THE INDICATED STATE

nows it strange all these posters indicating they were "told" or "manager told them" this or that about bulb coverage. FUNNY A BILLION DOLLAR COMPANY DOESN'T UPDATE THIS ALLEGED BULB COVERARAGE

no wonder 1/2 of all BEST BUYs operating profit last year derived from EXTENDED WARRANTIES, they charge huge amounts and may not fix the most important things that might need fixing

AIG WarrantyGuard, Inc.
P.O. Box 9312
Minneapolis, MN 55440-9312
1-888-BESTBUY

Throughout this Performance Service Plan ("Plan") the words "we," "us" and "our" refer to the Obligor. ("AIGWG") refers to AIG Warranty Guard, Inc. ("Best Buy") refers to Best Buy Stores L.P. and Best Buy Co., Inc. collectively. The words "you" and "your" refer to the purchaser of this Plan.

Service and Coverage: To arrange nationwide factory authorized in-home service on TVs 25" and larger and DBS, call 1-888-BESTBUY. All other Plan repairs will be performed on a carry-in basis only and must be arranged through a Best Buy store or service center. All preventative maintenance (cleanings, etc.) on applicable products will be handled on a carry-in basis only. Repairs will be performed at our discretion by a Best Buy service center or authorized servicer.

In some cases you may be required to ship your covered product for repair.
This Plan covers manufacturer's defects in materials and workmanship that are the result of normal usage.
Products, including those within the original manufacturer's warranty period, may be repaired or replaced with a comparable product, or Best Buy will issue a voucher for the original purchase price at our discretion.
Replacement parts will be new, rebuilt or non-original manufacturer's parts that perform to the factory specifications of the product at our option.
This Plan provides complete power surge protection from the date of purchase on the product covered.
All Plan coverage commences on the original product purchase date.
This Plan is inclusive of the manufacturer's warranty; it does not replace the manufacturer's warranty, but provides certain additional benefits during the term of the manufacturer's warranty. After the manufacturer's warranty expires, this Plan continues to provide some of the manufacturer's benefits, as well as certain additional benefits listed within the Plan's terms and conditions.
Coverage under this Plan expires 2 or 4 years from the original product purchase date as stated on your purchase receipt.
You must provide a safe, non-threatening environment for our technicians in order to recieve service.
This Plan does provide coverage on a carry-in basis for remote control repairs not due to loss or abuse.
This Plan provides battery repair/replacement for camcorders.
International coverage is available on a limited basis. See store for details.
This Plan provides coverage for product failures due to dust, heat, humidity and normal wear and tear.
Best Buy is not responsible for personal items left in the product to be repaired.

Purchaser Records: Although we maintain a record of your Plan purchase on a computer retrieval system, you must have in your posession this validated Plan and all original receipts to receive any product replacements, exchanges or voucher credits.

No Lemon Policy: After three service repairs have been completed on an individual product and that individual product requires a fourth repair, as determined by us, we will replace it with a product of comparable performance, not to exceed the original purchase price. Replacement products may be new or rebuilt to meet the manufacturer's specifications of the original product at our discretion. Technological advances may result in a replacement product with a lower selling price than the original product. For clearance, open-box and other products originally purchased at a discount, we reserve the right to issue a voucher for the original purchase price. The original product and purchase receipts must be returned to Best Buy along with authorized service repair receipts from three separate service repair incidents to qualify. One service request number, requiring functional part(s) repair/replacement is the equivalent of one repair. Keep your service receipts! Copies of service receipts cannot be provided by us. Preventative maintenance checks, cleanings, product diagnosis, customer education, accessory repairs/replacements, computer software related problems and repairs done outside the U.S.A are not considered repairs for the purposes of the No Lemon Policy. This benefit does not apply to Renewal PSP's.

General Exclusions: This Plan does not cover repairs caused by accidental or intentional physical damage, spilled liquids, insect infestation, misuse, abuse, altered serial numbers or damage caused by non-authorized repair personnel. Also not covered are replacement costs for lost or consumable parts (knobs, remotes, batteries, bags, belts, etc.) cosmetic damage and problems due to improper and/or non-factory authorized installation or repairs.

Plans are not available or valid on products used for: commercial purposes (multi-user organizations), public rental or communal use in multi-family housing. Use of a product for these purposes will void this Plan, unless noted specifically as a commercial Plan on the original purchase receipt.
This Plan excludes products that are not listed on this Plan.
This Plan does not cover consequential or incidental damages.
This Plan does not cover any fees related to third party contracts.
This Plan does not cover "no problem found" diagnosis.
This Plan does not cover image burn.
This Plan does not provide for preventative maintenance on televisions.
This Plan is fulfilled when a product is replaced after the expiration of the manufacturer's warranty.

Availability of Services: While we try to complete service as quickly as possible, we are not responsible for delays caused by factors beyond our control, including but not limited to manufacturer's delays, shipping to a regional service facility or acts of God.

Cancellation: This Plan shall be cancelled by us for fraud or material misrepresentation, including but not limited to commercial or rental use. Unauthorized repair of covered equipment shall result in the cancellation of this Plan by us. In the event of cancellation by us, written notice of cancellation shall be mailed to you not less than sixty (60) days before cancellation is effective. This Plan can be cancelled by you at any time for any reason by e-mailing, mailing, or delivering notice of cancellation to Best Buy (acting on behalf of AIGWG). If the Plan is cancelled: (a) within thirty (30) days of the receipt of this Plan, you shall receive a full refund of the price paid for the Plan provided no service has been performed, or (b) after thirty (30) days, you will receive a pro rata refund, less the cost of any service received.

No cancellation fee applies to this Plan.

Mail cancellation request along with this document and all original receipts to:
Best Buy Co., Inc.
Performance Service Plan
P.O. Box 9312
Minneapolis, MN 55440-9312
ATTN: Consumer Relations

Administrator and Obligor: AIGWG is the Administrator under this Plan and the Obligor except in California and Oklahoma. AIGWG can be contacted at: 500 West Madison St., Chicago, IL 60661. Telephone 1-800-250-3819. Best Buy is the Dealer and will be considered the Obligor only in those States which require the Dealer to be the Obligor.

This Performance Service Plan is secured by a contractual liability insurance policy provided by Illinois National Insurance Company, 175 Water Street, 20th Floor, New York, NY 10038. Telephone: 1-800-250-3819. If, within sixty (60) days we have not paid a covered claim or provided you with a refund, you may make a claim directly to the insurance company.

Manufacturer's Responsibilities: Parts and services covered during the manufacturer's warranty period are the responsibility of the manufacturer.

Preventative Maintenance Checks: This Plan includes cleanings and/or alignments limited to the following products: DVD players, VCRs, camcorders, and TV/VCR combinations. These maintenance checks are recommended, but not limited to, once a year. All preventative maintenance checks will be performed on a carry-in basis.

Product Specific Benefits:

This Plan provides complete head coverage for VCRs, camcorders and complete laser coverage for DVD players included in covered home systems.

STATE VARIATIONS

The following state variations shall control if inconsistent with any other terms and conditions:

ALABAMA RESIDENTS: This Plan is transferable to another owner for the product Plan ID identified on Your order confirmation. Proof of purchase receipts, as well as any service repair receipts, must be transferred to the new owner.

ALASKA RESIDENTS: Best Buy is the Obligor under this Plan.

ARIZONA RESIDENTS: If Your written notice of cancellation is received prior to the expiration date, the Administrator shall refund the remaining pro-rata price, regardless of prior services rendered under the Plan.

CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS: AIG Warranty Services and Insurance Agency, Inc. (AIGWS) is the Obligor under this Plan. AIG Warranty Guard, Inc. (AIGWG) and AIG Warranty Services and Insurance Agency, Inc. can be contacted at 500 West Madison Street, Chicago, IL 60661.

CONNECTICUT RESIDENTS: The expiration date of this Plan shall automatically be extended by the duration that the product is in Our custody while being repaired. In the event of a dispute with the Administrator, You may contact The State of Connecticut, Insurance Department, PO Box 816, Hartford, CT 06142-0816, Attn: Consumer Affairs. The written complaint must contain a description of the dispute, the purchase price of the product, the cost of repair of the product and a copy of the Plan

GEORGIA RESIDENTS: Cancellation will comply with Section 33-24-44 of the Georgia Code.

KANSAS RESIDENTS: This Plan is not an insurance policy.

NEVADA RESIDENTS: If the Plan is cancelled, no deduction shall be made from the refund for the cost of any service received. This Plan may be cancelled due to unauthorized repair which results in a material change in the nature or extent of the risk, occurring after the first effective date of the current policy, which causes the risk of loss to be substantially and materially increased beyond that contemplated at the time the policy was issued or last renewed.

NORTH CAROLINA RESIDENTS: The purchase of this Plan is not required either to purchase or to obtain financing for a home appliance.

OKLAHOMA RESIDENTS: This Plan is not issued by the manufacturer or wholesale company marketing the product covered by this Plan. This Plan will not be honored by such manufacturer or wholesale company. If either You or We cancel this Plan, the return of the Plan price will be based upon one hundred percent (100%) of the unearned pro rata price of the Plan, less the cost of any service received. Best Buy is the Obligor under this Plan.

SOUTH CAROLINA RESIDENTS: To prevent any further damage, please refer to the owner's manual. In the event the Service Contract Provider does not provide covered service within (60) days of proof of loss by the Contract Holder, the Contract Holder is entitled to apply directly to the insurance company. If the insurance company does not resolve such matters within (60) days of proof of loss, they may contact the SC Department of Insurance, P.O. Box 100105, Columbia, SC 29202-3105, (800) 768-3467.

TEXAS RESIDENTS: If you purchased this Plan in Texas, unresolved complaints concerning a provider or questions concerning the registration of a service contract provider may be addressed to the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulations, P.O. Box 12157, Austin, Texas 78711, telephone number (512) 463-2906 or (800) 803-9202.

UTAH RESIDENTS: NOTICE Coverage afforded under this Plan is not guaranteed by the Utah Property and Casualty Guarantee Association.

WISCONSIN RESIDENTS: This Agreement is subject to limited regulation by the Wisconsin office of the Commissioner of Insurance. This Plan shall not be canceled due to unauthorized repair of the covered equipment. If You cancel this Plan, no deduction shall be made from the refund for the cost of any service received. This Plan is backed by a contractual liability policy with limits of liability of $5,000 per claim and $25,000 in aggregate per Plan.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Anon wrote:

"nows it strange all these posters indicating they were "told" or "manager told them" this or that about bulb coverage. FUNNY A BILLION DOLLAR COMPANY DOESN'T UPDATE THIS ALLEGED BULB COVERARAGE "

Strange how one can post a complete warrnty and still not read it!

Below is where the wannanty coverage for the bulb is included. Note the "normal wear and tear" coverage?

This Plan provides coverage for product failures due to dust, heat, humidity and normal wear and tear.

xvxvxvx

Anonymous

I read the contract

note the following SPECIFIC RULE in that it refers to a particular class of items that are not covered

"General Exclusions: This Plan does not cover repairs caused by accidental or intentional physical damage, spilled liquids, insect infestation, misuse, abuse, altered serial numbers or damage caused by non-authorized repair personnel. Also not covered are replacement costs for lost or consumable parts (knobs, remotes, batteries, bags, belts, etc.) cosmetic damage and problems due to improper and/or non-factory authorized installation or repairs."

BEST BUY is saying BB and their agent are not covering "CONSUMABLE PARTS" in which they list some with the word "etc" at the end. Bottom line they can exclude bulbs as bulbs are clearly consumable

HERE IS THE ENTIRE PARAGRAPH from which you took out one phrase

"In some cases you may be required to ship your covered product for repair.
This Plan covers manufacturer's defects in materials and workmanship that are the result of normal usage.
Products, including those within the original manufacturer's warranty period, may be repaired or replaced with a comparable product, or Best Buy will issue a voucher for the original purchase price at our discretion.
Replacement parts will be new, rebuilt or non-original manufacturer's parts that perform to the factory specifications of the product at our option.
This Plan provides complete power surge protection from the date of purchase on the product covered.
All Plan coverage commences on the original product purchase date.
This Plan is inclusive of the manufacturer's warranty; it does not replace the manufacturer's warranty, but provides certain additional benefits during the term of the manufacturer's warranty. After the manufacturer's warranty expires, this Plan continues to provide some of the manufacturer's benefits, as well as certain additional benefits listed within the Plan's terms and conditions.
Coverage under this Plan expires 2 or 4 years from the original product purchase date as stated on your purchase receipt.
You must provide a safe, non-threatening environment for our technicians in order to recieve service.
This Plan does provide coverage on a carry-in basis for remote control repairs not due to loss or abuse.
This Plan provides battery repair/replacement for camcorders.
International coverage is available on a limited basis. See store for details.
Best Buy is not responsible for personal items left in the product to be repaired."

Note the word "PRODUCT" and how they use it,(e.g the first sentence says "required to ship your covered PRODUCT.") It no doubt refers to the entire TV itself. Correct, they are providing "coverage for product failures due to dust, heat, humidity and normal wear and tear" however that is the PRODUCT MINUS certain "CONSUMABLES" a fact they clearly state elsewhere. In other words wear and tear on the product is covered so long as it doesn't involve certain consumable items such as bulbs. Under the paragraph you cite, belts and knobs for example would also be covered as they certainly degrade based upon "wear and tear" also, yet they are specifically excluded

Basic rule of contract law applicable here:

"when specific clauses directly contradict general clauses, weight is given to specifics".

BOTTOM LINE is this document as written would normally be read as not covering bulbs

However if BEST BUY includes in other advertising written documents that they present to the buyer or the public, and this clearly states that bulbs are covered, (e.g bullet point flyers) - then under consumer protection laws in nearly all states that w/b part of the contract.

Also if the sales people make verbal misrepresentations as to the true nature of the the PSP, they can be liable, but the problem can then be proof

HD Fanatic
Unregistered guest
Here's the contents of the paper that the manager at BB gave me:

Customer DLP/LCD Bulb Replacement

Customer DLP/LCD Bulb Replacement Policy and Prodeures
Due to technological advances, we enhanced our coverage of LCD and DLP projection TV Performance Service Plans to include bulb coverage and are retroactively including all customers who purchased these plans prior to this enhancement. As long as customers have an active LCD or DLP Performance Service Plan, bulb replacement is covered. In the event a customer calls who has had a bulb replacement done and is seeking reimbursement, they must follow our current reimbursement policy as outlined in the PSP Policies & Procedures manual.

For DLP and LCD projection TV bulb replacement reimbursement:

1. Customers must file their claims at the following address:
Best Buy PSP Repair & Food Loss Reimbursements
7601 Penn Ave South
Building D
Richfield, MN 55423
ATTN: Reimbursements

2. The customer will be asked to send in the following information:
-Current name
-Current address
-Current phone number
-A legible copy of their PSP brochure
-A legible copy of their original purchase receipt with PSP and DLP/LCD projection TV on it.
-A legible copy of the authorized service center invoice containing the proof of bulb purchase.

The customer will receive a letter informing them that the claim has been accepted or denied. If it is accepted, the customer is informed that it takes three to six weeks for them to receive the check. If the claim is denied, the customer may call Corporate Customer Care to dispute the denial.

Please ensure that anyone who would be handling a consumer inquiry into reimbursement is aware of the policy and can speak to the process.

Dated July 2004 <end>

This is word for word. Notice the address above says "Food Loss". That's what the document says, but I think it was probably supposed to say "Good Loss".
If anyone wants an actual copy of the document, Reply with your e-mail address and I'll send it to you.

Anonymous

assuming it not just for certain states and/or certain BEST BUY locations, ie its company wide (which it appears) then that document s/b sufficient to make BEST BUY liable for bulb replacement right away when the bulb fails, or reimbursement later as is necessary

Interesting to see bulb replacement in writing, but still not worth the $600 or so (for KDF50WE655). Onecall.com "assures" me that their optional warranty does cover bulb replacement. 5 year warranty is $349 for the same TV (less than the cost of two lamps). They also refund half the money if you don't use the warranty! The salesman also offered to knock of 10% from the warranty if I went with the five year. What I don't know is what is the replacement procedure. Do I have to wait for a repairman to show up to replace the lamp, or can I just send the old one in for replacement?

MadMax

moviewatcher666
Unregistered guest
I bought a top of the line Sony rear screen projection TV in 2000. In 2003 (the TV was under warranty until 2002), the TV went for a crap and a major circuit board died. Almost $800 later, the TV was fixed but I was left very disappointed that the TV died after only 3 years. The point - If I knew then what I know now, I would rather spend $300 than $800. I usually hate any kind of insurance, but with today's electronics, it is not a case of "if" it dies but "when" it dies.

wega user
Unregistered guest
Anyone have experience with Circuit City's extended warranty plan for bulb replacement? Or for that matter any experience at all both good and bad comments would be appreciated. Thank you

Silver Member

Post Number: 515
My only suggestion is to buy a tv whos bulbs wont burn out in 12 months.

JV
Unregistered guest
Does anyone have any experience with Warrantech Repair Master? Many online shops push these EWs and the price is very competitive.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
OK, I finally pulled the trigger on a Samsung 5674 DLP. I went with the 5674 for several reasons; 1) I don't want cable card or an HD Tuner; 2) HD2+ chipset instead of HD3; 3) Slimmest bezel design for the size; 4) HDMI, DVI and PC inputs. The lowest price I could find using pricegrabber was about $2800 delivered, but I wanted to order from onecall since I have had good experiences with them in the past. I called them and got them to lower their price by $600! They advertised it at $3499.

Here's the thing. I did NOT purchase the EW even though Onecall's warranty covers lamp replacement. (I may rethink this since I have 30 days from purchase date to decide.) I used my AMEX gold card which will extend the manufacturer's warranty by 1 year, so I should get lamp replacements for two years anyway.

If anyone wants to use me as a referral (Danny Milla), Onecall will send me a check for 1% of your purchase price (shameless plug). They will always seem to come down on their price, so remember to dicker before buying.

I will post on delivery and setup process...

MadMax

HD Fanatic
Unregistered guest
Madmax,

Costco is selling the 5674 with the stand, online for 2699 + 200 for shipping. This is one hell of a deal! I don't know if you can return yours or not, but I thought I would let you know in case. Either way, it sounds like you got a decent deal.

EW's are a tough call. Just make sure that if it covers bulbs, you get it in writing...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Yeah, I know the price is going to drop like a rock since I decided to purchase, so I'm just not going to look at Nextag or Pricegrabber for about a year! :-) The Costco deal is nice, but the sales tax drives the price higher than what I paid (and I can't use the stand).

As long as nobody posts "Hey, you can get the 5674 delivered with a year of HD cable service, 50 DVD movies and a 10 year warranty for $1999.00" I guess I won't sweat seeing it for a few hundred dollars cheaper...

MadMax

Bronze Member
Username: 5thwheeler

Torrance, CA United States

"As long as nobody posts "Hey, you can get the 5674 delivered with a year of HD cable service, 50 DVD movies and a 10 year warranty for $1999.00" I guess I won't sweat seeing it for a few hundred dollars cheaper...

MadMax"

Thanks for the correction, I though it was a 20 year warranty with unlimited DVD movies for life. Ya really gotta watch your behind with these guys.

SammyMT
Unregistered guest
For those of us who feel the need to have an EW check this site out! Prices are more reasonable than previous posts have indicated.......
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&kw=MAEWTVIH31&is=REG&Q =&O=productlist&sku=239689

Unregistered guest
I purchased a Sony KDF50WE655 from Circuit City last month. I did not purchase their EW because it was high...so I decided to call Sonystyle about theirs.

I spoke to Nick few days ago. He went over what was covered and even before I asked, he said their warranty is good because it covers lamp replacement. He said there was no limit on the number of lamps. The price for 5 years is $289.99. I went ahead and purchased the lamp.

I decided to call back and see what kind of answers I would get from other reps.

I called 2x yesterday. The first rep. I spoke to say the KDF-50WE655 falls under Plasma TV and the price for 5 years would be $599.99. I told her to double check and she said she's correct.

I hung up and called right back. Spoke to another rep. She got the right price... $289.99 but she said lamp is not covered. She said it is only covered under the original manufacturer's warranty for 90 days after purchase.

She said with the EW, the labor to replace the bulb would be covered but the part is not covered.

Anyone have something from them in writting about the lamp being covered? I would like to have something in writing in case something does goes wrong.

Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Hd_fanatic

Boise, ID

Post Number: 24
Nancy,

When I checked with Sony about 2 months ago, they told me that the plan did NOT cover bulbs. I know for a fact that was the way it was when I checked. If they cover bulbs now, then it's something that they just recently started doing. Here is an excerpt from the terms and conditions section 11 e, on what is not covered....

"Expendable, lost, or consumable items such as, but not limited to: For Computers, Laptops, and Peripherals; removable data storage, accessory cables, batteries, and media disks. For Printers, Copiers, and Multifunctional Equipment; ink, fuser, roller kits, maintenance kits, and any toner/cartridge. Nonfunctional parts: including but not limited to; cases, cabinetry, exterior/interior finishes, knobs, dials, handles, hinges, trim and/or appearance parts or external accessory items such as electrical connections. For all products: Telephone or other lines connecting to the equipment. Items that are considered consumable by the manufacturer."

That last sentence leaves it pretty wide open on what they can say is not covered. If someone over the phone is telling you that the bulb is covered, ask them about this section of the terms and conditions and if they insist that the bulbs are covered, have them fax or e-mail you something in writing.
Here's the link...
http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=37920289&siteid=39295802&link=http%3A %2F%2Fwww.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/EW_ViewExte ndedWarranty-Detail?CategoryName=Consumer%20Electronics&TabName=Features&Telesal es=

Unregistered guest
Hi HD,

I contacted Sony Style several times over the phone as well as their online chat. They've all told me lamp replacement is covered (parts & labor).

Here's a copy of the chat:

Chat Transcript 07/08/2005 08:07 PM
Hi, my name is Dylan. How may I help you?
Nancy: Hi Dylan
Nancy: I purchased an extended warranty for my Sony TV
Nancy: I have not received my paperwork yet..but I want to find out if the lamp on the tv is covered under this warranty?
Dylan: Do you have a Plasma Television or a non-Plasma Television?
Nancy: its a non-Plasma television
Dylan: I will have an answer for you in a moment.
Dylan: The Extended Warranty for the Television includes all covered parts and also the Bulb and labor for the term of your Service Plan.

Do you think that would be sufficient as a prove of what I was told in case lamp goes out?

Thanks, Nancy

Bronze Member
Username: Helpful_smurf

Post Number: 22
Just one minor correction I'd like to add to the discussion as a BB employee.

BB Employees are NON commission. Circuit City is also NON commission. We went to this model a while back and CC followed suit. When a BB employee is offering a service plan they are not adding dime one to their paycheck if you accept.

I am enjoying the discussion, it pretty clearly reflects the overall mindsets I run into at work. Some people get them and some don't. There is no absolute right answer. I do know that a suprising number of people have problems of one kind or another with ALL types of HD sets and 9 times out of ten their first call is to the store they bought it at. The same store they refused service from in the first place. You'd think that after making such a production out of asking about the manufacturer's warranty and choosing to go with that over a service plan they'd call the 1-800 number in their manual but nope. And when you tell them they need to call the manufacturer they sometimes have the nerve to be amazed, astonished and even offended that we can't do a damn thing for them.

The fact of the matter is these are VERY complex devices. There is a lot more that can go wrong with them over time than just bulbs. Anyone that looks at the cost of bulb replacement as the only factor in their decision is ignoring a lot of other things, possibly to their own detriment.

I sell these things, not because they make me any money, they don't, but because I believe in them and I've seen situations first hand when they can be a heck of a benefit. I have one on my DLP set, yeah I get a discount but if it had been full price I STILL would have bought it. The analogy to Insurance is the best one to be made in my opinion. You buy it hoping you never have to use it but if you do need it you'll be glad you have it.

Bronze Member
Username: Hd_fanatic

Boise, ID

Post Number: 31
Nancy,

I would think that a statement in the "terms and conditions" of the warranty would be better proof, but what you have is better than nothing. I don't know why these companies have to be so sneaky about this stuff. If it's covered, than they need to just put it in black and white. It's as simple as that.

Another thing that I have been hearing is that some of the extended warranties will not cover bulb failure due to power surges. This would be a tough thing to prove either way.

The extended warranty through Sony sounds like a decent deal for $289, even more so with bulb coverage. Plus, there are other things that can potentially go wrong, so I think you are making a wise choice. I have heard some horror stories about Sony's customer service though, so hopefully your TV does not give you any problems.

Unregistered guest
I just talked to Sony extended warranty service at 866-766-9259 today and she told me that the warranty will cover 1 bulb replacement for the term of the contract. The term starts from the end of the manufacturer warranty. Infact you can buy the service plan after 60 days max. from the manufacturer warranty expiration date. Pretty good deal compare to others.

Username: Celticshrt

HI,
my question on extended warrinties is this, where can i buy just an extended warrinty on a tv. the place i am buying the t.v. from dosen't offer EW but the price is awesome and i would like to get the EW. i want a reliable company that is in the phiiladelphia area.
thanks
Jim

Bronze Member
Username: Jimkw

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 25
I have a philosophy on EW's. I don't buy them for anything. So far I have not been sorry about this decision and I am an experienced consumer (translation: OLD). I figure sooner or later I may wish I had one on something, but by never buying one for anything I bet I have saved money even if I have to pay a fairly large repair fee.

Sales people may not be making commision or making extra money on selling EW's, but somebody, probably the store itself, is profiting. They would not sell them for a price where they lose money. I don't even think twice when they ask me if I want the EW.

My Dad was a commisioned sales person selling major appliances and TV's. He made almost as much off these EW's as he did in commission. He's the one who convinced me to never buy one.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Here's hoping he's there to help pay for the repair when you need one. I know the mentality and I can understand it to an extent, people say all the money I did not spend over the years will easily pay for any problems I might have in the future. That would be a fine mindset if it was ever carried through on. Sadly though these are the same people who usually yell the loudest when they do finally need a repair and have to cough up the bucks for it. They can't believe the store they bought it at won't "take responsability" and are shocked at just how bad factory warranties are.

Example: I had a lady call me the other day. Her 6 month old Sony CRT TV died on her. Unlike 99 percent of the people who did not buy a service plan, she did actually call Sony first. She had to haul the TV to a shop across town and later found that the part needed to repair it is on backorder. Till NOVEMBER. So roughly half of her warranty period her TV will be sitting in a shop. She actually had the balls to call BB and ask if we could giver her a "loaner" tv until then! If she would have ponied up for the service plan she'd probably be watching a new tv right now.

The old saying about penny wise and pound foolish always comes to my mind when this topic comes up. I honestly do wish those who choose to forego the extended warranty continued success. But I think it's only a matter of time before their decision turns around and bites them on the a$$ and then cover your ears because I'd bet my next paycheck they won't be complaining about their own shortsightedness. They'll be complaining about "customer service".

HS

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
And a perfect example of why the old mindset on TVs no longer applies when it comes to Extended Warranties.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/137540.html

Read the whole thread. Textbook example of how different things can be now with new tech and HD sets.

HS

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 32
I was in Best Buy yesterday looking at TV's and I was listening to the sales guy talk to a customer. All he kept talking about is how important it was to buy the Service Plan. The customer said to him he would rather spend the money on a new DVD player instead. The salesman told him how much more important it was to get the Service Plan and that was money better spent.

So what are they trying to tell us? That the stuff we are buying is really crap and it won't last? If I am spending more than $2,000 on something I think it should last for at least five years, really more like 10. But the sales people are saying you better spend another few hundred dollars just to be on the safe side. Screw it all, I'm not buying anything since it's just crap that is not expected to last. I've had my 40" Direct View Mitsubishi for 13 years now and it still works fine. I guess they don't build things like they used to.

I'm sorry, but I can't help but think there is something in it for the sales guy when I hear him pushing the Service Plan as hard as he was. Of course I had just got done reading this thread right before going to Best Buy and posting about my philosophy.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 113
Wow JimKW,

Are you impressionable or what?

If your Mitz is 13 years old it's not only on it's last leg, it's not HD. It won't display network digital...ever! ATSC broadcasts are free and while they're not all HD format all the time they are twice as sweet as any NTSC program. Most premium sporting events and primetime shows are true 720P and 1080I, which your set will never display in the spectacular manor they were created to be viewed in. By next year you will need a digital to analog box to downgrade the signal for display on your prehistoric television. The FCC will shut down the VHF spectrum and NTSC will fade to black on the airwaves forever.

You have 32 posts and have been hanging around this forum for probably much longer. Unless you're a vidiophile or a future buyer or...as is the case most of the time, a person with an RPTV problem, you wouldn't hang out on these threads. Here, you will see most every fault of most every brand in production. It can be down right discouraging. It's no wonder there are threads just for extended warranties. However, all these forums combined represent only a fraction of the total RPTV market. Those in the majority who never experience a glitch are not going to Google a problem and find themselves on this or any other forum.

I guess I'm saying it's not all crap.

The future of 3LCD and LCOS is very bright with faster refresh rates and longer lasting displays.
The Texas Instruments DMD chip has new engineering "white papers" that prove beyond doubt that the DLP display can last in excess of 25 years with only lamp replacements needed to restore like-new performance. Now granted, these technologies are cutting edge stuff, literally going where no man has gone before. To blindly trust that you will be in the majority of the trouble free is for each person to choose. Some cover their buts while others pay the price in one way or another. It's really no different from autos, houses, or our own bodies.

As for me...I want to go where no man has gone before, even if it might blow up in my face or rip my wallet from my grasp. I'm irreversably hooked on HD. Well...that's my 2 cents!

BTW, I bought a 5 year for $349 from CPS for my DLP. I saved a grand buying online, so, I didn't feel a thing.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Not really anything in it for us at all. It's a service we offer just like installation, computer training etc.... Services cost money, just like merchandise. I don't make a dime more whether you buy it or don't. Likewise the TVs themselves, I could give a flip whether you buy a TV or not. All I do is answer questions, give honest recommendations and ring up sales. I know some people will always be suspicious of sales people but demonizing me personally because this is what I choose to do as my job is something I run into all the time. Doesn't hurt my feelings. I got into it because it's something I am enthusiastic about and I'm good with people. I feel like I actually help people. Not everyone is as knowledgable as folks on these forums by a long chalk and being able to inform and even entertain while having fun AND getting paid seems like a pretty good deal to me. Seems to work for my customers too. Some take service plans and some don't, no big deal to me either way. Like I said before They are something I believe in and I put my money where my mouth is by buying them myself. I know that I take a risk as a BB employee putting myself out here like this and I hope that everyone understands that I am not just mouthing party line at any point. Just like in my job I take my opinion seriously, just as everyone does about their own opinions. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, just giving my two cents ;)

Take a look at the thread I referenced above and tell me if you think the people who are experiencing these problems feel the service plan might have been a good idea. A year and a half out, well past the manufacturers warranty period, and they are looking at major costly repairs that would have been covered under a service plan. And these are major products from the belle of the ball as far as Consumer Reports is concerned, Sony.

As for things being built the way they used to, Of course they aren't. Cars are different, phones are different, computers are different EVERYTHING is different. If you want things built the way they used to be, I strongly recommend the good old cathode ray tube for you. Things do change over time, and sometimes there can be growing pains. You can accept them and be ready for them, ingore them and act suprised when your expectations leave you hanging, or cling to the past while the world moves on without you. I don't make or lose a dime or any sleep over it either way.

HS

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 33
Hey FYI I really don't know why I'm here. Probably because there is nothing worth watching on TV. Especially a prehistoric TV like I have. You are right about the fact that the people who don't have problems will not post here and I realize that. I mainly come here to get educated on what to buy when I finally do buy something. I am really leanding towards the Samsung HL-R5067 right now. I would have probably bought one a couple months ago, but my old Vovlo quit on me with 206,000 miles on it. Damn thing was supposed to go for 300,000 minumum. Had to buy another car and pay for my daughter's wedding so I'm still watching the old Mitsubishi.

Helpful Smurf, I have to tell you I would really like to do what you are doing. I have always wanted to be into some kind of sales and I really enjoy helping people and talking to them also. I really like the guys at Best Buy. One guy I talked to the other day told me I should go buy the TV I bought for my daughter from Sears because I got such a good deal there. It was the 32" Samsung HDTV, not widescreen. They had the 27" at Best Buy, but not the 32". When I finally buy something I will look for him because he was such a good guy. I'm not down on sales people by any means. The guy I overheard the other day must have been brand new.

I'm not trying to be negative or really give anybody a hard time. I just have a strong opinion about these EW's and that is what this thread is about.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 115
Nice response!

Like you, I want to squeeze every last mile out of my old vehicles too.

Maybe, in the year 2015, when you recover from the wedding expenses, they will be making much higher quality HD sets.
I know.....not funny!

Best wishes.

Unregistered guest
OK, I stumbled on this Post about EW's and have to add my nickels worth. (Inflation) There are several truths going on here, and I will disband the erroneous info being posted.

1) If you were to buy an EW on every product you owned, you WILL net less money on their return than by not buying them. PERIOD. Feel like gambling? Pick the product you think will break down, and buy the EW! Follow me so far?

2) ALL EW's are negotiable. YEP, I said NEGOTIOABLE. They are BIG profit centers for retailers and warrantee providers. Their payments to service techs have been pre-determined, and EW providers can visibly track a P&L. Bottom Line? NEGOTIATE! If you are a "non-negotiating" type of person, and prefer to buy Saturns JUST so you won't have to negotiate, than you may want to attempt a change in lifestyle that includes some negotiating techniques. ..No flames here, merely a fact. Can you point out one wealthy (working) person that will not negotiate certain things? MAN what a rant! Moving foreword....

3) Some e-tailers have added the cost of a warrantee into the cost of their product. Take BATVS (big a$$ TV's), new display technology is cutting edge, man! Even when I envision an army of 12 year olds in sweat factories building them, I STILL can't see how the companies keep the lights on after R&D, production, etc etc. (unless they negotiate their light bill?) Truth is; the people building our TV's are highly skilled professionals in clean-rooms! (Can you say dust on micro mirrors, LCD's, LCoS, etc?) SOOOO...manufacturers right now are practically giving their TV's away (Albeit you WILL pay the premium for one that has JUST been released). With the cost of the warrantee built in through a sales pitch, some e-tailers will MAKE you buy it with the product! (There are many sales techniques to raise the advertised price. Go to a marketing forum before we discuss that here)

4) Lets combine the 3 paragraphs above and put together something we can use. I know my budget for a TV (and so should you know yours!) So shop within your budget! I'll use my own personal purchase as an example for this one. The wife, (aka the BOSS) has miraculously decided to let me replace our 56" pro scan TV. After I researched a myriad of possibilities, do you think she wanted to know what I decided? NOPE! All she cared about was how much? The figure we came up with was 2200. Long story short...The TV I wanted ended up having an average internet price of 2100 delivered. Great, a 720p DVD player, as well! What's this have to do with EW's? I'm getting there! After several calls to retailers, I found one for 1900 bucks. Cool. By the time I got off the telephone, my Amex was charged, 2408...no DVD player :-( Basically here's what the cost boiled down to. Like a car dealership, play with the numbers anyway you like. TV, Matching Stand, 4 year EW, and 2 day shipping for 2408. The TV BTW is a JVC 52Z575, and the stand is about 350 bucks!

BOTTOM LINE: I figured we just bought an extra HID bulb for about 50 bucks; a matching stand for 150; 2000 for the TV; a free insurance policy for 4 years; and free shipping with no tax. Needless to say, the Boss wasn't upset at my 208.00 overage, as she is aware that a new bulb 3 years down the road will be about...you guessed it, 200 bucks!

EW's are ALWAYS a gamble, but if handled correctly, can net you some savings.

One last thing....Paying FULL retail, and them paying FULL EW price, is "more than likely" a loser every time!

I'll be forwarding this my publisher now.

-Tommy

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 35
Tommy, where did you get it?

tookie7155
Unregistered guest
i purchased a sony KDF-42WE655 from sound advice a tweeter company, and also got the EW 2 years for 199.99. the bulb is not covered, and the in home service,. ha!, everything needs to be done in the shop. the bulb is covered for the facory warranty only!!! maybe other companies are different. well as for me im getting a refund and will use the money for a real nice table to put the tv on

Unregistered guest
Ill reveal my source the second it arrives.. I will say that like warantess, I gambled with this e-tailer. Either way, Amex was used, who at the drop of a dime will cancel the charge if Im not happy. I really want this e-tailer to come through though...either they get a giant super duper happy plug; or the flames of he1l !!!! should be here by Friday, I'll finger faart some facts when it shows. -T

Username: Tommy_c

Tampa, FL USA

So far so good! Today I received a tracking number from a courier. Scheduled Delivery is Monday, but after a little sweet talkin', I was told it will actually be in Tampa Friday. The terminal is less than than 3 miles from my house! Might just go pick it up. If the set arrives new and as advertised (recent production dates >3/05), than this company gets my thumbs up! If not, I'ts the finger...

Tampa, FL USA

Post Number: 9
scratch that :-( enroute...wont arrive in Tampa till monday..Im so sad.

Bronze Member

Tampa, FL USA

Post Number: 14
JimKW, The set arrived in perfect condition, and a newer production model (april 05). In Fact, the shipper delayed it by waiting to fill thier truck! All in all a swell deal. I bought it from Idealav.com. The sales guy was Jeff/George (pick one..same guy). They came through with excactly what they said they would. Havn't received any paperwork regarding the EW, but Ill call em tommorow and square that away.

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 44
Cool. Hope you enjoy your new set. I still don't have the funds right now to buy one. Got the final bill for the first wedding yesterday and have to pay that. My new son in-law's parents are paying for half, which is cool in my book.

Wow Jeff/George. Didn't he have a strong arm when playing for the Vikings, but had an attitude problem? Nobody was willing to take a chance on him and now he is selling A/V equipment. haha

Bronze Member

Tampa, FL USA

Post Number: 16
3 YR EW came in th mail today...nice shiny envelope, too.. IdealAV is oki ma dokie with me!

Anonymous

Just purchased 5 year EW for $139. I figure with one bulb change within 5 years (well 4 years beyond manufactures 1 yr warranty), I'll be ahead.

Username: Tombo777

I am 45 years old and have never bought an extended warranty on anything including many new and used cars, Big and small screen TVs, refriges, washers dryers, 4 laptops and 3 desktop computers and a whole lot more electronic items. Has some items required service? Of course. Over all I am way ahead financially and especially in the cars and computers the service needed did not equal the cost of the contract offered.

People sell all kinds of things today based on fear. Look at most advertising. Years ago products were not made as well and there were no warranties offered. Go figure.

I have a 52 Toshiba Proj TV Im replacing and nver had the issues the rep warned me about. I also have a 36 GE for 5 years. No issues.

Peace of mind can be expensive. Zanex is cheaper!

Save your money. Over the years you will have saved enough to fix or buy new any item many times over with the prices of theses things approaching and exceeding 25% of the total cost.....YIKES!

The odds are in YOUR favor NOT the seller. And even then they will try all they can NOT to pay. Just like many insurance companies if you did use it.

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 51
Yea the money you have left over can buy stuff for your bong Tom. I like your name. I'm sure back in the 70's many probably called me Jim Bong. That's probably part of the reason why I can remember things from back then, but can't remember what I did yesterday.

If you read what I wrote earlier in this thread it's pretty much what you just said. I never buy them either. Maybe it's because we are a lot older and wiser than most on this board. I got you beat by more than 10 years.

Post Number: 5
Yeah EWs are a relatively new thing. I bought a $12 mouse at best buy and they tried to sell me a $3 replacement warrenty at the cash register! I can't remember a joke I was told that made me laugh so hard.

The more electronics the LESS you need EWs. Defects show in the first 30 days and certainly in a year. Younger People don't get that and are conditioned to think just becasue its on a chip it's complicated.

Look at it this way. Even when you buy a car which has thousands of expensive parts, sensors,electronic "computers" and mechanical components that operate in an enviornment that is subject to rough roads and is subject to extremes in temperature and moisture the EW is only 2% or less of the purchase price. Even then its not worth it.

But on a TV with few moving parts that does not move in a controlled enviorment costs as much as 25% of the purchase price to "insure" for a few years. And many do not warrent the expensive projector bulb which is equivalent to buying a new 27" TV once or twice a year!!!!Makes no sense to me. Never has.
'
Don't let those BB and CC reps "non comission claims" fool you. They do get "bonuses" for selling EWs. Maybe not direct comission but they ARE indeed measured on that metric as well as sales grosses.

Bronze Member

Tampa, FL USA

Post Number: 20
EW's are all about commission. Funny story: when I was 16, I worked at a radio shack after school. My biggest commission came from selling EW's! In fact, at 16 I led the district in selling EW's on headphones. (Think walkman days!) My most popular sale: A 19.00 EW on a 6.00 pair of headphones. Of that 19.00, I received 10 bucks! Remember that negotiable thing I mentioned a few posts back? Well If I knocked the price of the EW down, it came straight off my cut. Store got 9 bucks regardless. Times have changed today with so many hands in the pot taking their cut, but the principle is still the same. That should tell you that it is definitely NOT worth buying them...ALMOST all the time. With the vigor of youth on my side (stab), my sharp thinking brain cells (not to be confused with my dead ones) tell me that if a bulb cost 200 bucks, and a 4 year warrantee costs 200 bucks, than I was just handed a free insurance policy should something fail after the mfg's warrantee expires.(assuming the bulb is covered) Tom and Jim; Am I missing something here?

Anonymous,

Check the fine print to ensure that your EW covers bulbs. Otherwise known as a consumable item.

PS, before I get flames like "Id never pay 3 times the item price for a warantee!!!" here was my pitch..in a nutshell.. "Headphones, 25 bucks. If you ever break em, step on em, etc.. Just bring em to any radio shack, and get a brand new pair, FREE...no charge". Man, I was good 20 years ago!

Bronze Member
Username: Dapercy

Post Number: 18
Check Your Credit Card for Free EW.

Most AMEX cards provide an additional year warranty on whatever warranty terms your purchase has. This is provided for free as long as you use the card for the full price. You need to keep the receipt and the warranty to have your claim accepted. JVC covers the set and the bulb for 1 full year. So you would get 2 full years using AMEX.

The only catch is any warranty requests must go through their claims department which could take a couple of weeks.

Unregistered guest
55" Sony KDF-55WF655

Mine went in 5 days amigo, look into the light / power supply and resistor issue...1 week and waiting for mine to get fixed...good luck

See
USER NAME _ 55 Inches
at the bottom...interesting!

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/8567.html

Username: Baloo

I posted this last week however for some reason it dissappeared.

I need to find out where to purchase an extended warranty? One that covers the proj tube in writing?

Sony says that I can only purchase an extra year at more than BB's and that it DOES NOT COVER THE PROJECTION TUBE. They did say, however, that it is covered under their regular warranty for 90 days. This is after numerous calls.

I am coming up on the 30 day mark so really want to get this taken care of.

Username: Celticshrt

another way to extend your warrenty. i used my american express card to buy the t.v. and it doubles the warrenty so i have 2 year manufacter warrenty right off the bat. also i found a place refered by the better buisness bureau. and i can wait until i have 90 days left on my exsiting warrenty before i have to purchase it.

Username: Migxxv

ok, well as I work at sears I talk to quite a few customers about T.V.'s and dlp's and whatnot. Well guess how mny come in here after they've already bought a dlp or lcd from CC or BB to find out that the "extended warranties" they sell do not cover the $300 dollar bulbs... well the answer is a lot. Sears is the only retailer that I know of, actually the only company, that covers "wear and tear" on they're "service plans" they do not simply extend the manufactueres' warranty... but at the very least CC and BB do not cover the bulbs talk to anyone who has already tried once theirs has gone out...

Silver Member

Post Number: 188
Sears charged nearly $400 for their EW which they say really in NOT an EW. (Seems the general public has gotten smart about EWS so the retailers have come up with another name for the same ripoff.

IF you need an EW on a $3000 product WHY would you trust the product after three years? And if VIsa and AMEX extends the warranty a year you are paying $400 for ONE year! After that you are on your own.....5 Year EW anyone? Save you warranty money buy an APC with some of it, save the rest for a bulb.

If you really need "mind peace" PAxil is less expensive!

ON second thought if you are buying a DLP or RPLCD you better buy as long a warranty as possible...LOL

So I can assume no one knows of any aftermarket EW's?

Silver Member

Post Number: 218
Will an insurance company in Florida write a policy AFTR the hurricane destoryed your home?

There's your answer.

I don't have a house in FLorida so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Against the Rant
Unregistered guest
Don't believe tom bong!
He's a ranting repetative idiot.

I'm not sure why he keeps repeating false information. It seems more like a self affirmation of his own propaganda.

He acts like he's on some kind of self appointed mission to save us from technology advances.

What a total moron!

Buy what you want, when you want it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 229
>>>>He acts like he's on some kind of self appointed mission to save us from technology advances.<<

Change to:

He acts like he's on some kind of self appointed mission to save us from very crappy, unreliable and expensive technology advances.

Against the Rant
Unregistered guest
Don't believe tom bong!
He's a ranting repetative idiot.

I'm not sure why he keeps repeating false information. It seems more like a self affirmation of his own propaganda.

He acts like he's on some kind of self appointed mission to save us from technology advances.

What a total moron!

Buy what you want, when you want it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 233
He's a ranting idiot.

I'm repetative? LOL

The message needs to be spread to those on the fence and I'm spreading it. Deal with it. My opinion is mine and you are free to ignore it.

But you can't can you. You are the Fixed Pixel saviour looking for more victims so your revered Manufacturers keep making your TVs more reliable and cheaper on the backs of the unsuspecting.
SO be it. Let those who can read decide for themselves. Some already have thenked me for asking them to read the threads...rather then ask if they should buy.

Against the Rant
Unregistered guest
You're an idiot!

Your propaganda is trash.

Your mission is bogus.

Against the Rant
Unregistered guest
"Some already have thenked"

See how stupid you are!

Still can't proofread your rant.

What a dumbass!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 236
The massage stil iz cleer evan if knot proof red.

Stupid, dumbass, moron, idiot, all those great names you apply to me does nothing to halt my "mission" to help those who are not sure about this tecnology to see an alternate view. You are upset because you cannot prove me wrong on point only call me names. Thats pretty obvious to anyone with a brain....

My lack of proof reading does not alter the content of my message nor does it make the message less understandable whether one agrees with it or nut. (lol)

Against the Rant
Unregistered guest
"agrees with it or nut"

You're the nut! LOL

Still can't proof your sh!t.
What a moron!
Can't compose sentences or ideas worth a damn.

Your mission will always be met with my mission, dumbass.

Troll elsewhere!

You guys can stop now, I don't want anyone to lose their internet privaleges. Sorry I started this. I'll try to find a slightly more "mature" avenue for an answer.

Username: Tbcass

Interesting posts until it got personal. I am 60 years old and used to be an electronics technician. I purchased a Sony KDF50WE655 TV in early December and have used it daily without problems. The expected average bulb life is 6000 hours, not 2000 as previously stated. The bulb costs $250 from Sony and about $190 from dealers. The extended warranty I did not purchase was $600.

Extended Warranties are money makers. The store AND the the extended warranty compant BOTH make money on them. Logic should tell you that most of the time they aren't worth it. So it's a gamble. You pay your money and probably will lose. Personaly I don't buy extended warranties and over the years I am many thousands of dollars ahead. I would say that the $2600 the TV cost was easily paid for by the money I didn't spend on extended warranties. I would guess that about 8 or 9 out of 10 of the products I have purchased did not break during the period the extended warranty would have covered. That coupled with the fact that the total repair costs when they did break was almost always less than the price of the warranty leads me to believe that extended warranties are not worth the cost.

These are the fact's, not opinions as the relate to me. Others may have had different experiences.

One more note. The bulbs on these sets are cooled by a fan. The fan continues running after the TV is shut off. I suspect that many of the premature bulb failures you hear about are the result of power failures or operating the TV on a power strip that turns everything off. This is a no no. Doing this does not allow the bulb to cool down properly. A better investment would be a good UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) which would protect the TV from power surges and would allow a normal shut down during a power failure (surge protectors are useless but that is another story). This is a much better insurance policy and would cost about $100.

Jerry W
Unregistered guest
Good information in your post, Tom Cass.

To many stories here about dead sets out of warranty, though. With sets costing $2-5k, one repair is 2-3 times the cost of an EW. Lots of people wishing they had coverage. Here's a thought. Paying full retail for a set is not a requirement anymore. Online warehouses and E-tailers can sell the same sets for up to $1000 less. Taking 1/3 of that for a 3-5 year EW is just plain smart. It feels good twice. You save big from full retail and can afford some insurance for your very expensive HD set. The money you save from paying no tax usually covers shipping.

Silver Member

Post Number: 322
One online warehouse (Costco) does not sell EWs becasue you can return the whole set for a refund in four or more years if it fails.

T Cass is right though. Older people see less inclined to buy EWS becasue we have actual life experience with many many products and cars
and know from experience they are simple not worth it. MOst consumer pundits will agree. IF you must buy one fpr "piece of mind" , the product is not reliable and not worth having.

Thee are too many stories of issues and dead sets because the technology and build stinks...therfore the EWs are a must and the now the unreliable product costs 25% MORE....Hows that for logic in buying that product. Its breaks down MORE so you should spend MORE...LOL

LEarning is a life time thing. Thats why the older folks are not flocking to this technology. NOt becasue they do not know it or cannot learn. Its becasue experience is the best techer. Anything you have to buy an EW for is not worth having.

Dr. Funkandwagnel
Unregistered guest
"becasue".............suffers from lysdexia
"people see less inclined"....people see what?
"are simple not worth it"........why no "y"?
"MOst"...........lazy finger on the caps
"Thee are too many"....Thee can't type worth a damn
"and the now the"....trying to say something?
"LEarning".......lazy finger again
"NOt becasue"........lazy and lysdexic
"becasue".......... third time...what a bonehead
"experience is the best techer" your "techer" couldn't "tech" you anything

"LEarning is a life time thing." How would he know?

Ignorance is a telling thing.
Poor tom dropped out of school, most likely.
I wouldn't struggle too hard to decipher his bad compositions. His ideas are just as flawed.

A store with that kind of return policy has covered it with their retail pricing.

If you want the wonderful benefits of new technology, you must be willing to take the risks of new technology. A nice Ext. Warranty can minimize the risks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 338
>>>>A store with that kind of return policy has covered it with their retail pricing. <<<<

REally..Ignorance, and typing well is apparently your strong suit. They cover it with a billion a year in membership fees which you get back on one TV purchase.....Just not having to buy an EW pays 6 years of EWS lol. Now who is the idiot?

You should compare Costco pricing with Best Buy before you make a claim like that. And you think I have no clue becasue I type fast and do not care to proof read? LOL

Accurate Observer
Unregistered guest
You type badly and do not care.
Who's the ignorant idiot?

bong's idea of "helping others" is to ridicule and and "poke fun at" existing owners of LCD and DLP displays. He has self-proclaimed as much. Nothing gives a more negative impression than that.
Ridicule, sarcasm, and misinformation is his M.O.
While opinions are welcome, undesireable behavior will bring wrath.

Quote from tom bong:

"EXACTLY!! I do not care about "helping" existing owners. I do enjoy poking fun at them for buying in"

Silver Member

Post Number: 349
"EXACTLY!! I do not care about "helping" existing owners. I do enjoy poking fun at them for buying in"

UNQUOTE....

I'll say it again: "EXACTLY!! I do not care about "helping" existing owners. I do enjoy poking fun at them for buying in to the crap technology riddled with latency, audio sync,premature failure bulbs,bad cable card technology and dopey techs"

Thats right. My opinion is for those who have not jumpped into the DLP muck....Those who have...well you deserve your lot.

View thru a bong
Unregistered guest
The above post is an example of a worthless human being.

He's never owned a DLP or an LCD.
All he knows is what he reads.
Less than a hundred come to forums with defects.
The trouble-free ten's of thousands don't.
This is his knowledge base, nothing more.
Narrow view, narrow minded, idiotic nonsense blown out of proportion.
Rudeness, misinformation, and sarcastic ridicule are his tools to discourage those seeking information for an EW, DLP or LCD purchase. He heavily prefers CRT.

I equate his message to a snowy grainy projected CRT image. You can tell what the storyline is, but there's something horribly wrong with the whole picture.

To View thru a bong
Unregistered guest
Wow, and you are really believable too! (Not!) The only thing that you have proven is that you know how to cut and paste! How lame...

Silver Member

Post Number: 376
That guy has been on my azz for a month. He has the intellegance is clued as much as an Amish Guy in Circuit City!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Dlp4me

Post Number: 22
You must have pissed him off!

Silver Member

Post Number: 391
Yeah, whats new?

Bronze Member
Username: Dlp4me

Post Number: 46
It happens...usually when someone gets opinionated.

I've had my share of personal attacks!
I used to bash LCD. Liquid Crystals Die, was my slogan to some Sony LCD guy. We wore each other plum out.
I quit bashing display technology after that.

Username: Kwallstorm

If you believe you need an extended warrenty on a new purchase just look at that Visa Card in your wallet. If it's a Platinum Card, you can probably purchase a 5 year extended warrenty right from Visa for a really great price. It "mirrors" the mfg warrenty.

Bronze Member

Tampa, FL USA

Post Number: 37
Just read my posts, there are only 3 or 4 of them...That WILL end the debate on EW's. No one is right or wrong; It is a gamble, period. You may as well be talking about your wagering habits at the BJ table. I wonder if BJ will be removed from my post? Why do they call it a post? Can I call without a phone? Who are THEY? Achem...SOrry, but that waz a poke ar hwo everyone g0t off the topic wit flames, Typoss and bad spilling.

Bronze Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 79
Lets see,

In my case an Extended warranty on a tv up to $4,000 cost $198..

I think I read above these sets are designed to last 10 years (But they only have a 1 year warranty- Sounds like the mfg's know something we don't?)

(1) service call runs $200, $400, $600, $800 +++

My personal experience with the EW warranty for a set I just SOLD?

1: Bought a DOA Display from Sam's - At the time it was a $2,000 +TV, It was in the code 2 section, marked $836, Then it was marked down to $600..... I talked to the manager, got it for $400. ($32 with tax)

Picked up directly from the store, helped the pickup driver load it. Went over to the "authorized Service Center after I ate lunch. They had BROKE the case on a 1 /1/2 mile ride to their shop be strapping it down too tight. (Interstate, straight shot, smooth, level road)

Digital convergence board was bad- Ordered part - OVER the next few MONTHS I waited, being told the part should be here "next week"... I called the mfg, no luck. I finally called the headquarters of the mfg directly, talked with and left voice mails for the heads of the company.

Next morning I had a call, from the HEAD of Customer Service of the mfg. The next day after that I had the part. A week later I had the set back and it was all messed up. It dies the next day, digital convergence board AGAIN..

Called the Head of CS back, talked with her assistant... Her assistant saying they would "refund" my money - I told her either fix the set I have, or provide "funds" to buy a competing model from another mfg ($2,000+)... Or ship a replacement set.

Don't know the exact time frame, but I talked with the Head of CS again (The first of many more calls to follow)... And we agreed on a replacement set to be shipped. That set #1 was a lost cause. We agreed on a certain model.

Set 2 took about a month to arrive via truck, Upon unloading I noticed the model number was incorrect. I called the head of CS, she said the specs were the same. Turned out there weren't. In addition to the specs being WRONG as we had agreed upon... When the guys went to pick up the TV the Screen came OFF!!!, They almost dropped the set, and the screen chipped the case on it's way off. The screws HAD been there, so this set had been "into" at the factory.

At that point about 5 months. Called the head of CS back, saying that the set we had agreed upon was not the one shipped, the screen had come off chipping the case.

One more thing on this set, while the screen was OFF, I noticed a foot long greasy ARM print on the first surface mirror, and a bunch of crap in the lenses, plus thumb prints on (2) of the CRT lenses.

While waiting for set #3 to be shipped..... I cleaned the optics, ran the set about 100 hours, then did a full calibration on the set (for practice).

That set WAS a NICE set after the above was done. Who ever got that set god a set that WORKED (and looked good)

Set #3 arrives about a month later.... During that time in a living room about 15 x 17 ft I had (2) big screen TV's, the BOXES for same... Two couches, two chairs.. So it was sort of crowded. The "assistant" tot he head of CS during one of our conversations saying the "shippers" would "need" the boxes.

When they delivered #3 set and picked up the others, the shippers just thru the tv(s) into the back of the truck, they saying they didn't want the boxes. I made sure those boxes went on their truck though.

Set #3 lasts for about 2 days.... Digital convergence board goes out (LOL)..... At that point I had obtained a copy of the service manual, noting the procedure to replace board. Repair center picks up set, takes back to shop/// About 2 weeks later? I get back TV.... The convergence is ALL screwed UP,

The shop sends out the"tech", while talking to him I ask him if he's ex military (since allot of techs get their training in the military)

He responds back, No I've already been in "prison".... Him saying something about he was in prison.... The shop said they hardly EVER send him out in the filed for repairs (Gee, I wonder why?)

To help him out, and to save HIM time, since time IS money, I mention that I had "accessed" the service menu to check the values, NOT changing anything. He procedures during his phone call to factory tech support to "ask" them "If the customer has been into the service menu, I'm going to get paid , right?"

(Of course the guy on the other end saying something to the effect if they to go in a screw something up, of course not)

I about ripped the phone from his hands and beat him to death with the phone. (Idiot trying to invalidate my warranty)

I called the owner of the shop directly, let me know I wasn't happy about that, and I also let the owner of the shop know the guy during my conversation with him did NOT follow the procedure outlined in the service manual to replace the board. That the guy was stupid as a rock.

After I called the owner of the shop, I also called the HEAD of Customer Service. Telling her , yes I had "accessed" the service menu to CHECK the values, and yea I had the service manual... that the tech did not follow procedure.... and most important of all I had pulled the front covers off BEFORE the set left for "repairs" and had taken PICTURES AFTER getting the set back from "repair" that showed the wiring inside the set looking like a RATS-NEST, with High Voltage wires NOT being re-installed correctly, laying on the boards.

I told her I expected the set to be made RIGHT, and that the wring be made to look like factory again due to the risk of FIRE.

That this set with the RATS-NEST wiring would NOT be in my home. She agreed to have another shop do the repairs. ( I then proceeded to kick the tech OUT of my house.)

Repair shop #2 says at least $400 to fix rats nest wiring / service call.

Received call from another "rep" of mfg, saying they would NOT repair set #3, instead saying I should call CS and request a replacement set be shipped. (The guy that called a Mr North I had talked to on the first set, him admitting they had NO plans to mfg any more boards for that model- I thank him for that, otherwise 3+ years later I'd still be waiting. I think it was after talking with him I talked with the Head of CS, prompting them to "find" a board for set #1)

Called Head of CS... told her Mr North had authorized a replacement set..... While talking with her we agreed on one of the "new" 18x9 format models, that I wanted a CURRENT model to be sure "parts" were available for as long as possible. (translation, 16x9 format models just coming in, 4x3 being phased out- I figured if parts were need the chances being greatly to GET parts for the new 16x9 format model.

This time, and at this point it being about 8 , or 9 months!!!! Received that set #4 2 days later, shipped by air.... Set #4 being the correct model,,, and get this... the shippers didn't chip the case (unlike the other 3 sets in which the case o some extent had be damaged!!!!)

SET #4 was a good set, just sold it night before last. Set was plugged into a UPS day one... was broken in about 100 hours, did a full calibration... and was a "stable" set.
Last Oct I did call the EW people for an issue that turned out to be a loose cable- I called both them back and the "repair" shop first thing- And the stupid repair shop went ahead and sent someone out, even though I called the owner BEFORE his techs had left for the day, telling him the set was NOT malfunctioning, that it appeared to be a cable problem... that set #4 was NOT leaving my house for ANY reason, nor having anyone "touch" it unless it really needed to be "serviced".
Later on that day - there was a note on the door saying "we missed you" - Even after I had stated NO-ONE would be there, the set was "ok".

I called him, him saying he was going to "bill" the EW company for a "service call" $$$$$$$. He got beligerant with me saying they were going to "pay" I said for what? I had called him at like 7:15am, talked with him in person...saying I would NOT be there.... and then he decides to come out anyway?

I called the EW warranty people (twice) letting the them know I had called him first thing, telling him I would not be there, and then he goes ahead and comes out anyway???!!! Him saying he was going to bill the EW company for a service call, even though NO service call had been made. He knew damm well what he was doing, he had a EW repair ticket authorization and figured that was easy money for him. (Crook)

Anyhow, ended up selling the set night before last.

In my ad to "sell" the set I put in the ad the set was STILL under warranty. (The Extended Warranty)

Great selling point if nothing else.

Would I buy an EW?

Yes.

Is it a crap shoot? Yes... but I'm glad I had it last year, even though it never got used.

(1) repair and you have your money back.

For those that don't buy an EW, you better have that thing plugged into a UPS... and I would recommend you have it running thru a powerstrip as well, so you can TURN-OFF power to the set while NOT watching it.

The average house gets like 40 -80 voltage spikes, under voltage, over voltage, surges A DAY....... A UPS is a must, and you better ground your antenna as well.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
Typo's in the above, just read thru them.

BTW: The guy that left the note on the door DID bill the EW warranty people for a "Service Call"... and DID get PAID for doing NOTHING.

I called the EW warranty people the other day.. had them check. No wonder the guy came out anyway. He knew that was EASY money.

Service calls aren't cheap. I think he said something like $243 dollars or so he was going to bill the EW people. (For doing nothing)

I did call the EW warranty people two (or three times, to make sure they did NOT pay him because"

1: I was concerned about the dollar amount going towards my total repair "allotment"...

2: I was trying to keep their costs down.

3: The guy didn't make a service call, and deserves nothing, since he did nothing, and was called ahead of time. (7:15am, or so)
They went ahead and paid him.

Derp de Derp de Derp
Unregistered guest
What did you expect when you purchased a DOA tv?

Did you really expect the MFG to provide cover for a set that you KNOWINGLY took with a defect?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 85
FYI: The Tv set had not been sold at retail, so I was the first owner, hence it was under warranty.

If it was a "return", then NO it would NOT be covered under warranty. because you would be the second retail owner.

Both carry mfg warranty. It would be the same as is you purchased one in the box that was doa.

Let me ask you, say you had bought one NIB, it was doa and for various reasons you could NOT return the set, NOR get your money back.

You would expect the mfg to stock parts for it for a year or two, wouldn't you?

The thing is, the make so many parts, so many go into "shipping" sets, and a percentage go into stock as parts.

When those parts are GONE, they are GONE.

When you have a CURRENT model and they can not get parts for it it doesn't matter if it was bought new in the box or not.

It's pretty crappy when you are LIED to about an ETA on the parts. 2 weeks turned into about 8 or 9 months from start to finish.

It would have been the same if the set was NIB or not.

So far as a "display" being under warranty, some mfg's NOT warranting display models... If a display sells 500 units at retail... A smart mfg will warranty that (1) unit as well.

Bronze Member

Tampa, FL USA

Post Number: 40
WeAreNotAlone69 : Having warantee work done on a pre-negotiated DOA set is dishonest.. and will help to keep costs up in the future; regardless of how you justify it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 107
It's not dishonest, first retail purchaser of the set. The set died in normal use.

The set was not damaged as in the case of something being "shipped' and it being damaged in shipping... If that was the case then YES, it would be dishonest.

The fact the parts were N/A, the delays and run around, the sets shipped be mistake have no bearing on it being bought in the box or not.

If anything the mfg needs to send me a check for the time wasted.. 8 or 9 months of BS.... Several hundred hours of wasted time.

Unregistered guest
Just a quick comment on extended warranties. In the past I have never purchased one, but with the new HDTV's I think it's a good investment. At least untill we see how reliable they are over the long haul. In an LCD TV the bulb alone can be around 3-4 hundred dollars to replace. Unlike tube TV'S we really don't know how the LCD and PLasma with hold up over an extended time of use. Better to be safe than sorry.

Silver Member

Post Number: 103
You'd be amazed how many people think otherwise. I hear from them on a daily basis since they NEVER call the manufacturer first when something goes wrong, they always call the store they bought it at. Sometimes they call when they are at their absolute wits end trying to get warrantee service from the manufacturer and without that sevice plan they are pretty much screwed. I hate like hell to have to tell them there is nothing I can do. I wish more people would understand how beneficial these things can be if you need service.

MIKE_R50
Unregistered guest
I just purchased a Sony BRAVIA XBR KDL-V40XBR1 LCD TV from Circuit City.

I purchased the outrageous service agreement ($550) but seeing all your messages makes me wonder if I should cancel it or keep it. I have up to 30 days to get a full refund.

My question is do the LCD TV's have lamp problems like the DLP or rear projection TVs?

Will the problems possibly come from the HDTV technology?

I NEVER purchase service agreements but don't want to take a chance since the TV cost me $3K.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 375
MIKE,

Who says DLP's or other RPTV's have a lamp problem?
They are, after all, consumable lamp projectors.
I've heard of one DLP lamp that's still bright after 10,200 hours. He's starting his 4th year.

Only the Pan...ic LCxx models have a lamp issue.

Your LCD has a lamp, but it should last a long time.

I hope $550 bought you a five year EW.
Sounds too pricey for even that duration.

I don't think your model has a digital tuner for ED/HD network reception. You will need an external ATSC tuner to enjoy true HD (720P and 1080I) programming. Perhaps you should cash in your warranty for one. Seems a shame after spending that amount to not see free ED networks broadcasting HD in primetime and sporting events.

There are no known problems derrived soley from HD technology.

Some credit cards extend your factory warranty an extra year.

MIKE_R50
Unregistered guest
Actually this TV has a slot for a cable card which I am told delivers HD directly to the TV w/o a box. I will most likely keep the cable box I have since it has a DVR because I think that is the only way to use it.
Thanks for explaining the lamp technology. I will cancel the service contract.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 376
MIKE,

Yea...I finally ran across a product description that states it does have an ATSC tuner. Some descriptions are better than others, I guess.

shelly
Unregistered guest
can anybody here recommend a good and honest company that offers service agreements? I need one on my 61" rear projection tv.

thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 129
Shelly, here's one guy who is selling them: https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=479454#POST479454

Note though that the warranty in most all cases needs to be purchased within 30 days of purchase.

The above link IS a good price BTW. The EW warranty thru NEW that is the company sames club uses runs right at $199 for three years ($1,000-$4,000 set) and it DOES NOT COVER THE LAMPS.

PS:

If you find a company that will sell a warranty for a set BEYOND the 30 day time period, please do POST BACK!!! I waited till the 30 day on the NEW warranty.. called them up and they said the lamps weren't covered so unless I can find a company that WILL write a policy beyond the 30 day purchase time frame I'm out of luck.

Silver Member

Post Number: 130
Typo: that was NEW, the company that SAM's Club uses that runs $199 for 3 years.

Shelly
Unregistered guest
WeAreNotAlone69,

The only company I have found so far is GE Protection Plus that will sell a service contract on anything, even if its not their brand. I have contracts for my fridge, dishwasher, etc with them right now. They quoted me about $300.00/yr but I need to have it serviced first before they will write the service contract on it. There is also a company called Service America and Authorized Service which I used in the past (way in the past) and now I can't even find them in the phone book, internet, superpages.com, anywhere ! I know they are still in business because a friend of mine uses Service America.

Anyway, you can call GE Protection Plus at 1-800-626-2224 if you want to get a quote for your TV. And they do cover the lamps ! But don't do like I did and tell them all the problems first. Get your contract, wait your 30 days problem free and then call for service. Hope this helps someone.

tecgeek
Unregistered guest
you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't!!!!!!!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us