Can I play DVD Player with DVI on a DVI/HDCP Display?

Username: Sammy2005

Post Number: 1
I have a NEC Plasma 50XR4 display with DVI/HDCP. I am looking to buy a Samsung HD841 DVD Player but that comes with DVI only. Is there an issue with playing DVI sources with DVI/HDCP Displays?

Also, I have a DVI satellite HD box. Since my plasma has only one DVI/HDCP port, I am looking to get a DVI swicher. However I have read a few strings where the Gefen DVI Switcher does not work with the Samsung DVD players. Help ! this is more complex than I thought.

Sammy

Bronze Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 86
Are you sure you want to buy the Samsung? Otherwise, DVI should work.

Silver Member
Username: Vindsl

Post Number: 130
A couple of things...

First of all, I had a Sammy HD841 for a few days, before returning it, and it suffered from 'black crush' using DVI on my Sony GW. It worked fine using component cables, but DVI is usually the reason ppl spend the extra money and buy a 842, so... back to the store it went.

Secondly, the only ppl that like the Sammy HD841, from what I've read, are ppl that own Sammy TV's. It would seem that Sammy HD841's work nicely with Sammy TV's, but they suck on TV's from other manufacturers.

If the 841 works properly on your NEC using DVI, it WILL be the exception not the rule! So, if you decide to buy one, I would plan on using 'component', not DVI, e.g. you can forget about the DVI switch...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us