Directv

Username: Nicemn2k

Post Number: 1
I currently have Directv with Tivo and the "total choice package". I will be moving to a new location at the end of this month (3-31-05). I also have recently aquired a HDTV but did not order hdtv service thus far. What am I looking to pay, and is it worth it?

In Maryland, I have the options of either Comcast Cable or Dish Network services if I decide I want to make the switch. What would be my best options? What am I looking to pay, and is it worth it?

Bronze Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 89
The cost for programming is about $11.00 per month. There are only a few channels available at this time, but the pictures are absolutely stunning. More channels are promised. If you didn't know that you were watching television, especially on the nature and travel channels, you would believe that you could reach out and touch the images. ESPN HD is just like being at the particular sports venue. The detail and realism are almost impossible to accurately describe other than to say, it's like looking out of a window. Check Directv.com for specific listings. You must also shoulder the cost of an HD receiver (around $250-300). For me it is worth every penny. But ultimately, that is a very personal choice. Also check titantv.com for HD listings on satellite.

Bronze Member
Username: Lampright

Syracuse, Utah USA

Post Number: 95
I just just gave up 5 years of directv service so I could switch to Comcast and I am really happy about it. Why did I switch? Because the HD Tivo costs $1000 and in a couple months it won't even work because DirecTV is changing to MPEG4 compression for HDTV. Comcast only charges $10/month for their HD DVR and it works very similar to Tivo. Comcast will give you a $20/month discount to switch for an entire year, that's $240. I'm paying less for comcast and I now have an HD DVR, lots of HD channels including local which you cannot get through dish/directv right now unless you attach an antenna and live in an area that can receive your local broadcasts OTA (over the air). And then you cannot record the HD channels that are OTA, so 90% of the HD shows people watch cannot be recorded...really lame! I can record 100% of my channels with comcast...including every HD channel.

If you want HDTV, comcast is by far the best choice right now. I have tons of other posts with more info in these forums...look around you'll find others that have switched and are very happy about it. Plus, no commitment, so you can try it for a month or two and even keep your directv and if you don't like comcast, cancel it. No risk!

If you don't have a DVR/Tivo....get one...you'll wonder how you lived without one! It's life changing! If I didn't have a Tivo/DVR, I would not watch any TV, it's that dramatic of a difference.

Comcast also has a ton of On Demand content which you can choose to watch at any time you like. Most of it is FREE. Movies, sports, exercise videos, guitar instruction, automotive, etc.... Amazing amount of content available.

Another great thing about Comcast is they just announced a partnership with Tivo. In 2006 Comcast customers will be able to get Tivo...I can hardly wait! Tivo is by far the best DVR on the market.

Buffyfan
Unregistered guest
I've had Directv for 2 years and I want to buy a Tivo. I've heard that Directv wants to go with another DVR provider, NDS. Should I buy a Tivo or wait until Directv figures it out?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us