Sony 34" Wide S510 VS. Phillips 9819 ???

Danimal
Unregistered guest
Any comments on this?

I just did a side by side of the Phillips 34inch 9818, and the Sony 34inch wide S510...

We tweaked the settings as much as possible and could not escape these 2 facts...

1. The Sony had MUCH greater detail. You could actually see the blackheads on somebodys nose close up! (not that i'm into that, but you get the point)
By comparison, the Phillips had a "soft focus" effect going on, and was a bit blurry in comparison.

2. The Phillips showed detail in whites tones, such as ruffled white blouses, & parchment paper, clouds, that the Sony COMPLETELY washed out! One scene was a window, and the Sony had completely washed out the little window pane separators where the Phillips clearly showed them in nice detail..

The store rep tried to fix this by adjusting the "warmth, cool, picture, brightness, sharpness, color etc".... but to no avail. The Sony would not show whites, and the Phillips would not focus sharply.

I left the store disgustd with BOTH models... i want the Sony detail with the Phillips color recognition!

I also looked at the JVC 34wp84, same price as sony, but also kinda blurry like Phillips. Is the trade off I must suffer?

...i also want the DVI-HDCP input so i can use a 1080i DVD player someday... Are there any other models out there with this? (Yes, the Toshiba 34HF83 has DVI input, but it is NOT HDCP and will not accept the 1080i output from the Samsung DVD player, instead it pipes it out at 720so I've read)

Any similar reports out there? Or was it just me? The thing is, if I had not had both TV's to compare eachother to, I would have never noticed either of these problems... bummer eh?

SoufPhillyJoe
Unregistered guest
IN MY OPINION... since I am not a TV Tech... Sony seems to pride itself on great pictures and having black show up as black on the tube. Most other TVs show the black as a grey/green, depending on the tube or projector. This is great for showing detail, HOWEVER , some of the darker sceens will have some of the picture "blacked out" so you don't even see any of the detail. Its a SOny thing....

Personally I prefer the sony detail and the loss of some of the picture at few and infrequent times. It use to bother me and it would bother me even more if I had two tv's at home that would show the difference.... but you get use to it...

AND you are correct, there is NO TV out there that does it all.... Kinda like looking for the perfect woman... :-) ...

danimal
Unregistered guest
Today I went to Sears, and the salesman hooked up an HD signal to both the Sony S510 and a Phillips PW850.

I didn't notice the whites being washed out compared to the Sony, so either the Phillips washes out the whites AS MUCH as the Sony, OR, perhaps that one Sony I looked at really had a glitch??

...but I also noticed no matter how much adjusting we did we could not make the Phillips match the deep blues and bright yellows of the sony.

I'm leaning towards the $200 more expensive Sony for this reason... I honestly could not see a difference in the $500 more expensive Sony XBR(?) unit.

I also noticed that Sony has a native 720p, where the others dont... since progressive scan dvd is 720p does this mean that it will look better as it's not converted to 1080i?

I've seen a few Sony haters here, but I've had a Sony Trinitron 17" computer monitor for about 6 years now, no problems.... can we be more specific about why we shouldnt buy sony??

dan
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us