Please need advise

Username: Danyd

Post Number: 1
Guys, Im in the process of deciding what TV to get. I like the Sony KDF60XS955 but im also looking at the Toshiba 60HM84. I want a 60 inch, and dont really know which way to go, or if there is anything out there that is better. I also think the sony tv stand is a little weak in looks. Please help me out, going nuts. Also, should i buy on the Internet? Do you recommend, and what places. THanks for the help.

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 587
If your looking to save money, check out www.pac-2000.com. It's a nice little internet company up the road from me here is Seattle. You can't beat their prices. They don't carry SOny, but they do have the Toshiba your looking at. You might want to take a look at the 61" JVC Dila. I really enjoy my 52" JVC.

Post Number: 2
Is it as good as the ones I mentioned above? Only one HDMI port. Would not mind saving some money, but at what expense? Man this is really really fustrating!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Kdog044

Post Number: 30
The 60HM84 only has one HDMI port also. You need to move to the 60HMX84 for the second HDMI.

Anonymous

Apparently you want a 60 inch, however bigger sets are not as easy to purchase over the net, meaning with the stand you are looking at probably 3500 to 4000 dollars

The Sony 60 is a great set, one of the best, however if you are buying on the internet and happen to have a light controlled room with a shelf 10 to 15 feet away - you could do much better with a PANASONIC AE700u LCD front projector, currently the top selling hi def projector in the world.

It will save you about 1000 dollars, and produce a 92 inch plus picture absolutely blowing away 99% of existing TV's

Total cost is 2200 dollars for the AE700u and 200 dollars for the screen, and you don't have a big piece of furniture to contend with

Its a alot more fun to watch than smaller HD's.
Ideal viewing distance for hi def is 1.0 to 1.3 times screen diagonal

Bronze Member
Username: Hampersnow

Post Number: 25
this is a real coincidence ,as i was considering the EXACT 2 sets. although i have not made a purchase yet ,i have decided it will be the SONY after i watched DVDs on both sets. personally ,i don't like the DLP sets for the way they handle the signals with a lower resolution.the SONY does have 2 hdmi imputs ,but if you wanted to save money the Sony WF series has only 1 hdmi imput and a few less user controls for adjusting the picture.both Sony sets have received great reviews ,and i have been researching for months. another thing to consider is your distance from the set.i took a tape measure to stores with me ,and knowing i would be 11 to 13 feet away ,made sure i liked the picture at that distance.the LCD sets can have the screen door effect but at 11 feet i did not see it. if you may be sitting closer ,Sony makes both the WF and XS series in a 55 inch and it runs cheaper of course. if you are interested in a BEAUTIFUL stand look at Z-lines black glass and dark chrome tv stand at circuit city. it goes for $349 but is ,at times on sale ,and is 55 inches wide. since the base on the Sony is not as wide as the set itself ,you could go in this direction.lastly ,i too am considering buying online ,probably thru Amazon ,and since i haven't purchased yet ,i couldn't advice you but i would love to hear if anyone else has purchased online. the online prices are definately tempting although currently the Sony is cheaper at CC then on Amazon.good luck ,and please let us know what you decide to do.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
My post should have said 62HM84 and 62HMX84 as there is no 60" in the Toshiba line.

Post Number: 3
Well, have purchased the 62HM84, I so far is not bad at all. I'll be getting the HD from DirectT o Friday. Cant wait. If anyone can help me with fine tunning it, and getting the most out of it, please Im all ears. ???

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
I would recommend you purchase DVE (Digital Video Essentials)for calibration help. You can pick it up for about $20 through Amazon or CC. For some initial settings check out the settings on this review.

http://www.dlptvreview.com/dlptvreviews/toshibadlptv.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us