Salesman admits to DLP hype

Powerplay
Unregistered guest
I was at Best Buy comparing rp tvs. I was looking at LCDs and DLPs around 50 inches. I've been reading all of this jazz that DLP is so great and the only way to go and a lot about the downfalls of LCD.

The LCD rp's looked much crisper and colorful in my eyes. I did not tell this to the salesman. I asked his opinion and he claimed that everyone is told to push the DLP products and that it is overhyped in the media. The technology is still in the works (aren't they all?) but LCD is a better product right now for rp.

Just thought to share my experience.

Anonymous

I have a sammy 5674 and it doesn't get any better. Remember the guy you were talking to was just a salesman . Hardly an expert. I'll stick with this board for a source of opinions instead of a salesman. Good luck on your search for the ultimate tv.

Bronze Member
Username: Berta

Post Number: 27
I've bought the RCA 50LPW162 and in my subjective opinion the picture quality is fantastic. I bought from BestBuy. The Electronics manager offered me a job(LOL) because he said I knew (a) more than any customer who has been in there, and (b)more than the the sales guys. I didn't take him up on his offer. I learned from hanging out on this board and lots of research. I can assure you that I am a neophyte comapared to the folks on this board.

Anyway...do your research and then look at the TV's and decide what you like.

Powerplay
Unregistered guest
Yep, I agree with both of you. Salesmen, at best buy especially, are pimple faced kids who arent experts by any means (for the most part). I went in with the notion that DLP must be far and above all other technologies because it is everywhere on this board, in ads, wherever you can think. Essentially it seems the technologies are both at par with eachother and you just have to decide which you like. Both have advantages.

Bronze Member
Username: Berta

Post Number: 28
Exactly Powerplay.

Username: Mrtomasulo

Post Number: 10
Just my $.02-- I'm going to be buying a JVC D-ILA any day here, but throughout my recent month-long search, between the three technologies, I ranked DLP a close second to the LCOS model I've decided on. LCD was never close in my book to either of the others on any comparably-priced system. I saw "screen-door" on just about every system I looked at below $3k.

Bronze Member
Username: Xgrizzlyx

Post Number: 78
my .02 cents. hehe now there is .04 cents in the pot.

Anyway my back room is almost finished, working on putting up the rest of the sheet rock this weekend :D

SO by x-mas time i may get a rptv. Now my dilemma is are the others realy better then CRT. Other then less weight what do dlp, lcd, lcos have on crt?

few thinks I can think of

Price they all cost about 2x as much for the same picture,

need a stand to bring to eye lvl. thus adding weight and size makeing about the same as a crt rptv. also more cost and something else to put togthere.

Any one ever compare the lcos tv to a crt?

Well i guess my answer will come when i start going out there and looking.

BTW Any of you looking at the LCOS tv should wait till fall when the 1080p are out,.

2 more cents
Unregistered guest
1080p sets will be extremely expensive initially. Also, hardly anything will be broadcast in 1080p from what I understand.

I believe that the new microdisplays offer the ability to maintain an excellent picture for a longer period of time than a CRT because of the user-replaceable light bulb. A bulb is a LOT cheaper than a new tube. They are also a LOT smaller and lighter.

Bronze Member
Username: Xgrizzlyx

Post Number: 79
ya crt is alot cheaper upfront :D

2 more cents
Unregistered guest
Then go buy your antiquated technology television and enjoy it. But, I can tell you with 100% confidence that my JVC DILA set will kick any CRTs butt. The addage, You get what you pay for, applies.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us