DVI hookup

Anonymous 99
Unregistered guest
Hi,

Here is the scenario. My TV has a DVI connector and my DVD has DVI connector (yeah, Samsung). So a direct connection from DVD to TV using DVI is obvious.

But what if I add a A/R (like Marantz SR8300 or NAD T733), how can I connect my TV and DVD through the A/R? From my understanding these A/R do not have DVI connections.

What feature specifically would i loose if I just keep my current connection (DVD directly to TV using DVI?) without going through A/R?

Thanks
Alien

Unregistered guest
I have that DVD player (Samsung).

It's my understanding that you hook the DVD player up directly to the DVI port on the TV and hook up the audio to the receier via the digital coax or optical (I used optical)..

I have a Harman Kardon AVR 330.

danimal
Unregistered guest
And have either of you actually noticed a significant improvement over the DVI connection as opposed to component hookup?

I just got back from viewing both at Good GUys, and honestly could not tell the difference.

Unregistered guest
danimal..

I questioned the same thing. I had the Samsung hd931 and wasn't sure if it was THAT much better than a nice component video connected DVD player. Here's what I did:

I went and bought a Pioneer 563A-s DVD player and some Monster component cables. I popped the movie "Chicago" into the players- alternating the same scene. I was surprised at the results:

There's no doubt that both connections offer a very good picture - but the DETAIL of the Samsung was NOTICEABLY better. In the movie, there's a scene with Richard Gere sitting in a restaurant with 3 or 4 women. Their booth is one of those big overstuffed leather ones with the brass buttons on the top.

On the Pioneer, these buttons were annoyingly jagged - looked like they were moving, even.

On the Samsung - these brass buttons were as clear as if you were looking at them in person.

It convinced me - the Pioneer went back - the Samsung stays...

Mike

arungupta
Unregistered guest
More info on DVI:

http://www.digiupdate.com/G002_DVI_HDMI_and_HDCP.html

RobW
Unregistered guest
Of course the Sumsung's better!
HD931: Progressive-scan DVD player with DVI digital output and upconversion of DVD signals to 1080i/720p

Pioneer 563A-s =480progressive
qwoted from: http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/Pioneer_DV_563A/4505-6473_16-30470421-4.html?tag=su bnav
...It wasn't as good at removing jagged lines from video material, such as the waving flag from Video Essentials...

So the Samsung is a superior machine that cost $70+ more.

A better comparison would be between the DVI and component outputs on the Samsung.

Anonymous

use component on the samsung 931 and it will not upconvert, so you will be left with the same results as pioneer vs samsung. besides the upconverting, the pioneer is a much better unit. at my work, we get samsung dvd players back as fast as we sell them, they never work for very long. no problems yet witht the 931 that i know of though.

RobW
Unregistered guest

Ah! I failed to read all the info on the Samsung page. Your right the Samsung HD931 only upconverts the DVI signal, NOT the S-video or component, so using it to test is also flawed.

the pioneer does not upconvert!

Do you mean you get all the other models of Samsung's returned, BUT NOT the Samsung HD931?

Luis
Unregistered guest
mgrennier, I have a set up similar to yours. HD931 with a DVI connector to my DLP TV both Samsung. The sound is connected to Harman reciever thru a optical audio cable, the problem that I have is that in movies with alot of accion I will loose the connections of the DVI. Did you ever had this problem? one more thing I am using a mostor cable DVI, I am not using the connector that came with the HD931 unit.

mgrennier
Unregistered guest
Luis..

I have almost exactly the same setup as you do.

I have never experienced losing any connections witht he DVI. I'm using the standard DVI cable that came with the Samsung.

So you know, here is my exact setup:
Samsung 61" DLP
Dish 811 HD receiver - hooked to TV w/ Component video cables
Samsung HD931 DVD player - hooked to TV w/ DVI
Harman Kardon AVR330 - hooked with Monster optical cable

It works very well for me - I'm not sure what your issue would be.

Luis
Unregistered guest
Thank your for your quick reply, I just replaced the DVI cable with the one the came with the DVD player, I'll have to wait and see. I also have the 61" DLP sumsung, the reciever is a Harman Kardon DPR 1001. Next thrusday the dishnetwork people will be installing the HD reciever.

DorDoughboy
Unregistered guest
Help:

I have a HK 330 and 4 NXG NX 6200 pro in wall speakers with a NXG in wall center speaker
My Sub is a HK sub12

Does anyone know if the HK 31 DVD player is better than the Samsung 931 ?

What is the best in wall speaker wire?

Anonymous

I saw something very interesting here.

mgrennier has Dish 811 connected using component video cables. How does that compare to DVI ?. I was thinking of getting a Samsung 931 and a Dish 811 for my 50" Sony LCD.

Was thinking of conencting the Dish thru DVI & the DVD thru CV. What is advisable ?>

Username: Jrest

Post Number: 3
I am about 1-3 months away from making the dive to a DLP purchase. Have my mind set on the Samsung HLP5063W. I've read people having the Samsung 931 HD DVD Player and Dish Network HD receiver. I'm assuming this is the best combination? Are there other options that work well? Is Dish Network the best way to go? What about DIrect TV HD or VOOM? Also, I have 3 other tv's in the house, will those standard tv's still be able to get a cable signal? Sorry if that seems like a stupid question. I hope someone will answer soon.

Anonymous

Can Samsung 931 decode free broastcast HDTV signals from open air antenna and provide 720p/1080i output to DVI port?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us