Sammy 4663 has NO Sound With HDMI and Cable Box??? Please Help....

Anonymous

I have a Sammy 4663 and Cox Cable. I have a Scentific Atlanta cable box. I went HDMI to HDMI and hit my Sammy "Source" button and put it on HDMI.
I did the samething with the Cable Box. I get a picture with No Sound. I called Samsung and they said it should be working. I called Cox and they sent a guy out and switched boxes and still no sound.
They swear the HDMI is working on these boxes, although none of the techs have actually worked on a TV like with HDMI cables yet, but I'm starting to wonder??

I am using Component cables and have a pretty good picture but I want HDMI!!

Please offer any solutions!

Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 274
Sorry about your luck. The only thing I can suggest is to look to see if there is a switch or something in your menu system that you've missed to activate the sound portion of your HDMI connection on your TV.

Some TVs will even have a switch on the back of the set that you need turn to activate the connection.

The fact that you get picture though........with no sound is a bit perplexing. I would think it would be all or nothing.

I use a DVI so Im not exactly an authority on the topic, but I feel your pain. You might want to ask the dealer or Samsung tech support if you cant get it resolved here.

FYI
Unregistered guest
I'm not so sure that model even incororates sound in the HDMI connection. Most people take the digital coax or digital optical audio from their set top box straight to their surround sound system or tv if you don't have ss. The digital optical will have the best 5 channel audio anyway!

Anonymous

Thanks but wouldnt I have to have Surround on everytime I watched TV??
I say that because of 2 young kids and messing with volumes!
If the Sammy 4663 has HDMI, which it does, it should work!

Thanks for your help

FYI
Unregistered guest
Not really! The digital audio signal is either on the pins or it's not. Even if it is, the set may only receive and process analog audio signals because it was designed for stereo and not 5 channel. The DMI/HDMI is designed for digital signals only. I looked in my audio menu and didn't see a selection for digital audio input.

My SS is on every time I watch tv. I hated the internal speaker sound the day I got it. When I bought my Onkyo SS, I was in home theater heaven.
There is really no other way I would find it enjoyable. My kids know they better not touch any of it.

I don't even like DMI/HDMI connections with the exception of the DVD player. It makes standard NTSC analog signal look much worse on my Sammy DLP. Component cables make everything look great.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
The HDMI port should carry both audio and video signals according to the Sammy manual. I would check two things. First, does the STB have an audio output selection feature? If so, this should be set to digital, PCM, etc....something that is compatible and targeting the HDMI port. Secondly, I would double check the manual regarding any settings you need to make on the TV in order to use digital audio. In my cursory glance, it appears that it should auto-select the audio. I have the JVC and in order to get audio through the HDMI port, you have to select Digital Audio from a menu. Good luck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us