Need help finding the right TV

Username: Tfslionsfan

Post Number: 1
After months of research and price hunting, I was all set to go out and buy a Samsung hlp6163. Then on doing one last web search for information, I came across this site (don't know why I never found it before but this is a great site). After reading more than a few posts on problems with Samsungs and DLPs and lag issues with gaming, I feel like I am back a square one and more confused than ever about which TV and technology to buy. I was hoping that I might get some direct advise from you the experts. Here are a few of my requirements and desires for my TV.

1) Needs to be at least 60" (16:9 format). I am legally blind and the main reason for getting a new TV is so that I can see it. I currently have a 32" 4:3 format and need to sit about 3 feet away to see detail and subtitles. Even with a 60" I will need to sit about 6' or closer away to see detail so whatever technology I go with would need to look good on a big format from close up. (most of the LCDs I have seen do not look good close up due to the screen door effect)
2) I love video games and can not give them up. I have an xbox and a computer. I need my new tv to be a computer monitor, an xbox video display, a DVD movie display and a directv satallite video display. Eccentially an all in one video monitor. Thus a vga connection would be great but is not necessary. And the more DVI and HDMI connection the better. (One of the reasons I liked the Samsung)
3) The room it will be going in has a lot of windows and 4 skylights. My wife is putting some good shades in for the windows but we can not completely block out all of the light. So a screen that does not have a glass front and does not reflect a lot of light is ideal.
4) I can not spend more than 3K (wife and family and all).
5) Reliability is important to me. I do not have the time or desire to sit around waiting for repair men to come to my house. If I spend this kind of money, I should not have to have it fixed 1 or 2 or 3 years out of the box. Just my thoughts on it. This is one reason why I am now turned off by the Samsung. I would also like it to last for many years (My current tvs are both about 10 years old and will stay around, just moved to different rooms) (One reason I liked the DLP).

I have read through so many posts here and other places that either talk about one of my concerns or another but not all of them combined. Any help you could lend would be greatly appreciated. Suggestions on specific models to go look at would be fantastic, thanks in advance. Also am I just being paranoid about the Samsung?

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Give the JVC DILA 61" serious consideration. It sounds like just what the doctor ordered. The thread for it is extensive and will take you some time to digest but it is packed full of good, honest information.

Post Number: 2
Thanks tvshopper,

I have taken a good look at both the JVC HD-ILA post here and at reviews around the web. Looks like a good set. I wish it had a DVI or VGA connector to go along with the HDMI for my computer. I am scared by the post about a recall of all units built for most of last year. Hopefully this is not an indication of possible future problems.

Can anyone else suggest any other sets I should look into?

FYI
Unregistered guest
Hold off for the Samsung 6197, if you like DLP!

It will have the new high contrast xHD3 chip at 5000:1 ratio.
It will have the new 1080P format.
It will not have video game A/V lag.
It will look absolutely awesome.

The set should have been released already, but it's coming.

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 580
Thomas-

I have the JVC, and when I spoke to them about the "recall", they said it is more of an upgrade. They were problems with 2 units out of 30,000 and they decided to replace the lamp control board in the older sets. This only applies to Pre-September built sets.

Next month the 2nd generation JVC 61" will be arriving, and it includes a PC input.

Bronze Member
Username: Mrtomasulo

Post Number: 11
Mr. Lynch-- Will this new release also include a new 52'' model? If so, shouldn't the price on the current ones be about ready to drop again? (I'm on the cusp of ordering)

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 581
The 52" is not scheduled for release until July/August. That is part of the reason why the price has dropped from $3500 to $2500 in the past 6-8 weeks. I don't believe the prices will drop below the 2k mark for a while.

Bronze Member
Username: Mrtomasulo

Post Number: 12
Ok, thanks Mr. L. I shouldn't be greedy I guess. :-)

Post Number: 3
Thanks Mr. Lynch for the info on the JVC. I am glad to here that the 2nd gen will have a PC connection. That is one of the things keeping me from pulling the trigger. Any idea what the price point for the 2nd gen 61" will be? The wife isn't all that happy that I might spend $3K now. Don't think I will be able to push it much higher.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 584
Thomas-

The new 61" set will probably run over $4000 when released. The 1st gen 61" was $4200 when it came out.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us