Samsung HL-P5674W or Wait for Sammy 1080p DLP?

Username: Dapercy

Post Number: 1
Thinking about getting a 56"+ DLP in the next few months, but recently heard a rumor about Samsung coming out with a 1080p TV. Will they have a 56" or 61" 1080p table top model? And if so is the picture quality going to be so much better that it will be worth waiting another year and a half until I can afford the latest model? I currently have a 36" 4:3 Sony HD Direct View and can't tell a difference between 1080i and 720p, but I imagine the difference might be more noticable on a 56" widescreen.

The advantage of going with the HL-P5674W being that it will be in my price range in the next 2-3 months at the current spead online retailers are reducing their prices.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 563
David-

At Fry's in Seattle they have the 82" Mitsubishi 1080p LCoS TV next to the Mitsu 52" 720p DLP. With the same exact content, I cannot tell much of a difference. The 1080p set does look cleaner up close, but until true 1080p content is available (Blu-ray, DVD-HD), I don't think a 1080p set is worth the premium you will pay. It's like buying a 500hp sports car, only to drive it in stop and go traffic.

Why wait a year+ when you can enjoy the advantages of HD now?

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 242
82"....Wow...Luckily it's not a CRT or it would weigh about 700 lbs!! My 65" weighs in at a 'scant' 350 lbs.....heh

I'd like to see that model for sure, but if I ever went that big, I would probably go with a projector. In hindsight, I kinda wish I would have gone with a projector and installed an 8-10ft screen on my wall instead of the TV that I bought.

Dont get me wrong, I like my Mitsu, but I think having a bigger screen would be pretty cool.

Username: Dapercy

Post Number: 2
Mr. Lynch,

I'll probably end up taking that advice. I've been waiting a long time for widescreen HDTV and I don't know if I can make it another year and a half. Your comparison definitely makes me feel comfortable going forward with the 720p TV once it is in my price range.

FYI
Unregistered guest

These are the best prices I know of on the best two display technologies, in my opinion, of course.

[link removed]

http://www.streetprices.com/Electronics/Consumer/TV/Projection_61in/SP2279213.ht ml?sortdetail=sortdetailbylowprice%2F

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us