Big screen vs Projector????help!!!

Username: Justinb

Post Number: 2
i am building a new house and am trying to build a Theater on a buget.. I can spend about 1000-3700$ on my tv/projector situation. the room is about 20by19 and is going to be up stairs in the house. I really like the 65 and 73 inch mitsubishi dime scan Big screens but I am now starting to like the projector look. I like being able to get a 100 inch screen because of the theater like feel. so can someone tell me the pros and cons about both....

Thanks!

Username: Phillyguy

Post Number: 7
Try getting info on this at www.dlp.com

They have pro's and con's of this.

Rob

Bronze Member
Username: Sbull

Post Number: 18
If your room is upstairs, be aware that projectors in this price range and projecting a 100" screen probably won't be very forgiving of ambient light. You'll want to be able to strictly control lighting in the room. Don't forget when buying a projector it's easy to drop $2K on a good screen also. Most projectors will have cooling fan noise that may or may not be objectionable to you.
Big screen rear-projection TV's are getting very affordable for good quality. One of my local shops has a Pioneer Elite PRO-530HDI, which represents one of the best rear-projection sets out there, for $2800. Excellent quality, and will tolerate ambient light a whole lot better.
I built a home theater in my basement with a $6000 (at the time) Mitsubishi LCD projector and a 100" screen and, regretably, we hardly use it. The picture is good, but it's not GREAT. I set up another "home theater" in our family room centered around a 50" rear-projection LCD TV and I like that a lot better.
When I have the time and money, I'm going to down-size the projector screen (probably about 70")to increase detail and brightness.
Just my experiences.....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us