Motorola dual tuner dvr to dvd recorder

Username: Scottp

Post Number: 1
I am trying to record programs from a Motorola "dual tuner" dvr to an Emerson DVD recorder.

I currently have the component video cables running from the dvr to the tv and cable running into the dvr.

I have tried to run a video cable from the dvr out video to the dvd in video and can't seem to get it to work?

I didn't have this problem with the "single tuner" dvr since it had a cable out.

Any suggestions???

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Use an S-Video cable it works fine for me. On 2nd thought I figured out your problem. You must have the DVR setup to output 480p, your recorder will only record a 480i signal. Go into the setup menu of your Motorola DCT6412 and make the change.

xvxvxvx

Post Number: 2
I apologize for the ignorance I portray on this subject.

I went into the setup on the dvr and can't seem to find where to change the signal.

I called our cable company and they were of no help whatsoever. The person tried to tell me the dvr's were not compatible with dvd's at this time?

Also, with either using the S-Video or just the "yellow" video, does the audio get picked up through the tv since there is not another audio out from the dvr to plug into the dvd?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Your TV should have an audio output which you can run to your DVD player. Please post your TV model and manufacturer. Be sure you have the Motorola DCT6412 as well, it has several separate audio outputs of which you can run one to your DVD player.

xvxvxvx

Post Number: 3
I looked on the configuration on the dvr and it has DCT listed, however, I did not see the 6412 listed anywhere. I asked the cable person earlier and she indicated it was the 6412.

It has from left to right: an ethernet slot, a USB slot, a DVI-D slot. Then there are two rows of ports starting with the ones on top: audio in, SPDIF, and video in and out. The bottom ports contain: audio out and the component video. Then to the right of those ports there is an S-Video, an optical SPDIF and an IEEE 1394.

The TV I have is a Mitsubishi WS 55311.

I don't know if that helps???

Anonymous

Maybe this link will help.
http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/dct6200/

Comcast also has link to user manuals under support. Even if they aren't your provider, the manual for home theatre might give you better direction.
http://www.comcast.com/Support/Corp1/FAQ/Faq2_176_0.html

Phil Christensen
Unregistered guest
I have a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8000 HD dual tuner DVR from our cable provider WOW This allows me to record up to two programs at the same time but can not watch a third channel which is frequently the case. I am looking for another dual tuner DVR and a method of connecting them such as parallel Y splitter and recombiner to imput to my VCR which then connects to the TV. Will this work?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Not gonna work Phil. You have too much time on your hands if you need to watch/record three shows at once. Ask your cable company for the 8300, that will solve your problem temporarily, at least unitl you need to watch/record 4 or 5 programs at once.

Many people run a splitter at the RF cable before it reaches the cable box and send one input directly to your TV. Let the TV tuner bring in the third channel and watch it while recording the other two with your 8000.

xvxvxvx

JF2944
Unregistered guest
Hi guys.

I'm in the exact same situation as Scott mentioned. I have the Motorola "dual tuner" DVR and a Sony RDR-GX300 DVD recorder. My tv is a Sony Grand Wega 50".

Just to get everything straight, I need to run an S-video cable from the box to the DVD recorder and audio cables from the tv to the DVD recorder and I should be good to go??? Do I need to run component cables from the DVD recorder to the TV then to be able to do the DVD setups and everything?

Sorry if I sound ignorant, but I am on this stuff.

-Jason

Unregistered guest
I have a motorola 6200 series dvr provided by a local cable co. and an Averatec 3200 series laptop sporting win XP and dvd recorder. HOw can I intercept the signal comming from the dvr and feed it in to my laptop for recording.
Thanks, Bob

fx
Unregistered guest
If you mean a digital signal you cannot, any device connevted to the firewire connection on your 6200 must be HDCP compliant, a PC is not. The firewire on your DCT-6200 may not even be active, Cable companies are only required to provide "at least one" model STB with firewire activated.

xvxvxvx

Unregistered guest
I have a Motorola Dual Tuner DVR Cable Box and I can't get my VCR aligned right to record on the same video channel as the cable box is. The single tuner dvr was alot better it had coaxil cable in-out which is more simple when integrating a vcr etc. As far as the S-Video is concern you need to upgrade your VCR with a single/dual S-video connection. The sound is your choice either TV OR Stereo Receiver.

XXXYYYZ!!
Unregistered guest
I have a Motorola Dual Tuner DVR Cable Box, a new HDTV and a RCA DRC8300n DVD Recorder/VCR Combo. I cannot get the RCA to work. I can get sound, but it says no video input. I have used the S-Video connection, composite and component hook ups and nothing works. The cable company is no help. I know that there must be a way to do this, hope someone out there can help.

fx
Unregistered guest
You must switch from VCR to DVD.

xvxvxvx

Anonymous

Motorola has info on their web site on hooking up your PC to the DVR's. Search for your model number and then got to the FAQ's.

Anonymous

You CANNOT hook a Motorola 6412 to both your TV and your VCR with simple RCA jacks. There is only ONE STANDARD audio output on a 6412. It also supplies fiber out, but either your VCR or your TV must support fiber. My VCR is an older unit, and only accepts l/r audio, and video. l/r audio is already connected to the TV, so I'm SOL. This is rediculous. For some reason, the 6412's other jacks are INPUTs - why I don't know as the only input you'd need is cable! What's worse is there's no option to even swich inputs on this unit. Summary - if you need more than ONE l/r standard audio coming out of this box, then you'll need a sophisticaed external audio amplifier. This unit is an ill-thought out absolute Chinese kludge.

fx
Unregistered guest
For 79 cents you could have saved the $1.19 you spent on aspirin for your headache. Radio Shack sells a RCA splitter that will solve your dilemma.

Besides why on earth do you need a VCR when you have a dual tuner DVR?

xvxvxvx

Unregistered guest
Does anyone know if the audio/video inputs actually work? I'm trying to hook a DVD player up through this thing, as my tv only has one set of inputs. When i have the dvd player hooked up, and the DVR off, i get the audio to work, but no video. Any ideas??

roger123
Unregistered guest
Phil, I have the dual tuner motorola cable box and I record two shows and watch a third all the time, heres what I do. I split the cable line when it comes to the house, I run one of the splits directly to the tv and the other I run to the cable box. Then I hook up the cable box to the tv using the component out cables. This allows me to tape two shows on my dual tuner dvr and then swith to the tv my panasonic th50px500u's tuner to watch the third. I hope that helps you.

Kevin_Indy
Unregistered guest
I have a Mitsubishi 55311 and Motorola HD receiver and the remote codes listed in the Mitsubishi manual do not work for the motorola. Can anyone give me an idea on how to get my TV remote to operate my motorola reciever?

fx
Unregistered guest
Try the Jerrold or General Instrument codes Kevin.

xvxvxvx

thaltek
Unregistered guest
ok, my dvr has a usb port. and i was wondering if i should try to jerry rig something to get the signal to go streight to my laptop so i can burn DVDs. any thoughts or wisdom?

fx
Unregistered guest
No data will pass via the USB port. You can record via the firewire port with the proper software added to your PC.

xvxvxvx

Unregistered guest
I am somewhat challenged in this area..so here's my question: I have a motorola dual tuner dvr. I do not have a dvd player. However, my lap top is close to my tv. Can I play a dvd in my computer, and somehow hook up cables to watch it on the tv? If this is possible, can someone tell me in simple terms, how to do this? THANKS!

thaltek
Unregistered guest
in answer to kris R yes. asuming that you have a VGA port on your laptop and dvr this is relitivly painless. but if you have an s-vidieo on both your better off. anyways VGA ports like the one on my dell have the 16 pin plug this is also on the back of my dvr. you can get a cable for this at radioshak or simmlar stores.
oh one more thing VGA is video ONLY. if you want better sound i recamend pipeing it through a stereo system!

thaltek
Unregistered guest
could fx enlighten me on what the name of this software migh be? i now have firewire. :P

yuyuyuy
Unregistered guest
xvxvxvx,

What PC software will record via the firewire port? I would love to do this with a DVR.

Thanks,
yuyuyuy

fx
Unregistered guest
yuyuyuy and thaltek,

You can go to the below website and it will walk you through all the steps required.

http://replayguide.sourceforge.net/dct6412/index.html

Do remember that if you are attempting to copy 5C copy-protected material your only choice becomes an SVHS or DVHS recorder.

xvxvxvx

Anonymous

can i hook up my Lite-on dvd recorder to my computer

WilliamHowe
Unregistered guest
Same problem as "Sethen" above:
https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=485493#POST485493

Does anyone know if the audio/video inputs actually work? I'm trying to hook a DVD player up through this thing, as my tv only has one set of inputs. When i have the dvd player hooked up, and the DVR off, i get the audio to work, but no video. Any ideas??

Anonymous

can i back up my ps2 games with 160gb lite-on dvd recorder

Jerremy
Unregistered guest
Maybe someone can help me. I have a Mot DCT6412 connected via dvi to my Samsung DLP set. I have a digital audio cable out from the Mot box to my surround sound system. All works fine. Now, I want to introduce a DVD recorder. I connect the S-video out from the Mot into the S-video in on the DVD recorder and I connect white/red AV cables from the Mot to the DVD recorder. The output of the recorder is sent both to the TV (component connection) and to the amp (a second digital connection). Prerecorded DVDs work great. BUT, when I record, the DVD records the video but no sound. It would appear that no audio is coming out of the Audio out connections on the Mot box. But why whould this happen? Any help out there? Thanks.

massyglass
Unregistered guest
Has anyone tried using the Motorola DVR Dual Tuner in conjunction with the Sony DVDirect system?

fx
Unregistered guest
Jerremy,

Buy another optical audio cable and connect it from the 6412 to your dvd recorder. This should solve your problem.

xvxvxvx

Username: Preisinger

Post Number: 1
I would like to transfer shows (I believe analog shows) from 6412 to my PC. (Comcast tells me that channel 1-100 is analog while digital is >100)
The instruction I have read to transfer using the firewire port say that it is only good for digital channels. I have an ATI capture card in my computer and I have already attempted to transfer the shows using S-Video. However my picture is sometimes jumpy. I have tried several software capture software and encoders and no avail the picture is still sometimes jumpy.
Are there setting changes on the DVR I need to change?
or
Can I transfer the data another way? Firewire? Hard Drive transfer?

char
Unregistered guest
I have an emerson dvd recorder that I am trying to set up but my motorola dual channel dvr does not have a cable out to plug into the emerson recorder. I want to record to dvd several programs that I have on the dvr; Possible, help

Donk
Unregistered guest
Jeremy, curious if the optical cable suggestion worked. I have the identical problem with nearly identical equipment involved. Got a great picture, but no sound on my first DVD recorded.

Username: Sierra1049

Sacramento, California USA

Post Number: 2
Is it possible to use the Motorola 6412 and save HDTV programming to an external hard drive via firewire? Comcast is NO help whatsoever, says they don't know which ports are active but have been told both USB and Firewire are NOT connected.
Thanks very much
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us